[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What place is cheap, walkable and safe in America?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: toecutter.png (461 KB, 664x768) Image search: [Google]
toecutter.png
461 KB, 664x768
I want to live in a place where I can walk/take transit most of everywhere, where rent is under $1500 a month, and you won't get shot at night. Where can I live in the USA that fits this criteria? I'm graduating with a computer science degree at the end of the summer, and going to look for programming positions, but from what I've seen every city has some jobs.

My last summer internship was in Detroit (and so was where I was living) and I loved it--I walked or bussed 5 miles to work and back every day and had a blast. It was probably the best summer of my life, more due to the city than the job. Is there another place like that, but safer? I have personal reasons for not wanting to go back.
>>
Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Portland (Maine), Providence, Philly, Burlington
If you are looking to stay in b- or c-list cheap rustbelt cities like Detroit with a lot of young people, art, restaurants.
>>
St. Louis
Dense walkable cheap as fuck like 600$ one bedroom in an awesome eighborhood awesome city

Central corridor and south side are safe. North side has high crime. Don't listen to the meia stl crime data is skewed and it is not as dangerous as ppl say. Also only idiots become victims
>>
>>1109223
>Baltimore

Is there a few middle ground areas in baltimore? I thought it was either browntown with the vacants or rich honkies
>>
>>1109280
>rich honkies
They're usually only upper middle class, Baltimore is just cheap as fuck (for the NEC anyways)
>>
File: 1461944512646.jpg (128 KB, 540x529) Image search: [Google]
1461944512646.jpg
128 KB, 540x529
>>1109223
What about somewhere that isnt cold?
>>
>>1109222

Most cities and towns still have safe, white areas.
As this guy mentioned >>1109272 , crime is typically localized to one side of town.
If you want everything around you to be safe in a very large radius then you need a rural area up North, but tech jobs will obviously be limited.
This is just how our lives are in a multicultural utopia.
>>
>>1109222
>a place where I can walk/take transit most of everywhere, where rent is under $1500 a month, and you won't get shot at night. Where can I live in the USA that fits this criteria?

almost everywhere
if you believe your life is in danger every day in the US....
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>1109272
He is right stl is a great choice
Stl is city of neighborhoods u won't find action down town
Central west end is awesome and has an innovative district known as Cortex
Also Benton park , soulard, Lafayette square,
All wonderful neighborhoods and u won't spen over 1k a month on rent.

Stl has been mentioned to be the Midwest cilicon valley due to the innovation districts, ample start up companies am business incubators due to crazy cheap rent in a good city with history.
Pic related kinda a shitty pic but one I have from stl
>>
>>1109222
n-new orleans?
>>
>>1109222
Des Moines
2016 Murders = 2
Average Rent = $750
Average Income = $42k
>>
>>1109356
Too cold and flyover
>>
Olympia, WA
Bellingham, WA
Eugene, OR
>>
Milwaukee (lower east side, riverwest)
Madison (downtown)
Chicago (logan square, hyde park)
As others have said, STL
Iowa City
Nashville
Minneapolis

Midwest really is the best, who cares if you're in a "flyover state"? The bigger cities are still great.
>>
>>1109222
CS? Might try your job prospects in Northern Virginia, Dulles Tech Corridor with tons of jobs (and fun peers all over town to communicate and befriend).

It's probably the safest walkable city with high per capita income and education both, so you just don't see the lower middle class much because they can't afford the rent. You'll see restaurants, stores and malls are always higher because no one will work those min wage low skills jobs, seriously.
Great walking, probably the city I'd move to if I was blind with the excellent paved sidewalks, lights, bike and hike trails, and public transport. Terrific nightlife, music scene and foodie choices all.
$1500/mo is more suburbia prices, but you'd likely make 40% more in salary just for being there, and you can be sure your house will appreciate and hold its value, so skip rent, buy and get a roommate to cover the extras.
>>
>>1109223
>Walking or public transit in Baltimore
Well, the $1500 number will get you a very nice apartment in a nice neighborhood. But you're not gonna get out of that neighborhood with public transit, nor would you want to.
>>
>>1109222
If you're okay with 5 month long Siberia tier winters then you might look into Madison, WI

Overall, Madison is pretty damn comfy. The downtown area is an interesting mix of international, hippy, hipster and Chad/Animal House college culture. Outside of the city center it's more or less just a typical white bread midwestern affair. It has very low unemployment, and has recently become a growing market for "young professionals" largely due to the presence of Epic, a medical software company that is located nearby. Epic loves hiring millennials and pays pretty high salaries (I know several people who work there and they make around 60k starting). In the last few years several upscale apartment buildings have gone up because of Epic basically. You can get a very nice apartment in Madison for $1500 and a good, serviceable one for much less.

There are qts everywhere because the downtown area houses the UW campus. It also has a fantastic restaurant scene for a city its size.

You don't need a car if you live downtown but I'd still have one. The downtown area is pretty bike-able. It's also a very safe city. Probably 1 murder a year average.
>>
>>1109222
Some parts of atlanta are pretty nice desu
>>
>>1109280
Fells Point and some of the historic neighborhoods on the east side close to the CBD is fine.
>>1109408
Lol public transit in Baltimore isn't that bad you nigger. The subway doesn't really take you into the areas you would want to be but the light rail that runs from north-south is fine and there are tons of intercity rail options that take you throughout the northeast that are pretty affordable.

As for OP's question Chicago would definitely be my pick. For as dense a city with good public transport, nightlife, and walkablity, it's arguably the cheapest in the country and poses the best deal.

>>1109559
>Some parts of Atlanta are pretty nice desu
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
JK, but Atlanta is definitely not what OP is looking for.
>>
>>1109222
Downtown Raleigh fits your criteria, and has a lot of jobs in your field with the Research Triangle Park and businesses like Redhat, IBM, and Apple. It's downtown is relatively small, but it meets all of your requirements .
>>
>>1109381
I agree with Northern Virginia. Cheaper than D.C. and the Maryland areas of the DC Metro, kind of expensive, but notfor wages are.

>>1109789
I have to agree with the other poster. There are nice areas of Atlanta, housing is cheap, there are walkable neighborhoods, also public transportation, but if you ever have to drive it's hell. DC is worse, but has better public transportation, with the metro trains, in addition to the buses.
>>
>>1109366
>olympia, wa
I don't think I'd feel very safe there these days
Oly has become overrun with homeless drug addicts and the fucked up dangerous sort of street kids.
Bellingham is definitely underrated.
Eugene is just a small white college town with hippies and a meth problem.

I live in Seattle and love it here. As with any city, some parts of town are dangerous. Rent is skyrocketing with the influx of tech workers, which is a huge bummer, but there's also cool new bars and restaurants springing up every month.
>>
>>1109789
What do you have against atlanta? It cant be the black people because Baltimore is like fucking Africa
>>
Boston or Chicago, boston is kind of expensive though
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.