[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Toronto
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
File: toronto-skyline-sunset.jpg (43 KB, 948x300) Image search: [Google]
toronto-skyline-sunset.jpg
43 KB, 948x300
Hey /trv/

How many of you have been to Toronto? Ive been a few times, but not since i was too young to explore on my own and truly get to know the city. Im incredibly keen on going back, the city has a feel to it that i cant really explain. What are some must sees, must do's, and general travel information about TO that I wont find elsewhere online? I need to hear it from you.
>>
I lived in Toronto for 6 months. I liked the city just fine, the people were very friendly. Overall though I think the city was pretty boring. There's literally nothing unique about Toronto.
>>
If you are choosing a hostel
Canadania backpackers inn
>>
>>1108922
Lived in Toronto for almost 4 years. This guy doesn't have a clue.

There is lots to do in Toronto - look up Torontoist, BlogTO, etc for things from food festivals, concerts, good bars (Pravda is a fav of mine, old soviet styled bar with great vodka and decent prices).

Kensington Market is always good in spring/summer. The distillery district is a great time with patio bars and museums/niche stores.

If you want a younger crowd (and a more party scene) hang around UofT, the Annex, Bathhurst and College St, Yonge and Eglington (Yonge and elibible).

The hockey hall of fame and sports teams of all flavours are located not far from the downtown core. If you want to escape the city for a bit, head up to the Beaches neighbourhood (called simply "The Beaches") - nice homes, beautiful parks etc, cool beaches. You can also head down to Lakeshore for the beach scene on the shore, country clubs, golfing, and outdoor concerts at Exhibition Place. Even a streetcar ride is fun I find, though I am somewhat of a transportophile.

If you want any more advice I can give you my email and really get into detail.

Good luck with your travels!
>>
>>1109042
Just to add further:

Museums like the ROM, etc., are located by University of Toronto (which in itself is an interesting visit, did my grad there). There's nice spots along Queen West (hipstery area) and going down "the Ossington Strip" is good for nightlife. Places like the Vapour Lounge (if you're into weed etc) are located in various spots and rent glassware and vaporizers as long as you bring your own product.

A often overlooked aspect of Toronto is the food - you can find all persuasions of eating in the city (I always enjoy the Korean Grillhouse - cook your own food over a personal in-table bbq).

The music scene is also really good, with big venue concerts at the ACC or Exhibition Place, to smaller venues like the Koolhaus. Depending on your tastes you should be able to find what you like.

If you are into lectures or public presentations/performing arts check out the Sony Centre (right next to Union Station, the hub of transport in the downtown core) or other venues like Roy Thompson Hall.

Yonge Dundas square is a nexus too, with a huge mall (Eaton Centre) and old buildings surrounding. Its near the financial district, yet offers interesting places like Ryerson University, eateries, shops and even a strip bar (Zanzibar, lol. Trust me, Brass Rail is better).

If you have lots of time, you can catch a train (2hrs) to Niagara Falls, a great city located right on the Falls between USA and Canada and a really good spot if you are bringing a significant other.

Happy Travels!
>>
>>1109047
>>1109042

Torontonian here and can confirm that this is a great general overview of the city. Although I thought the Vapour Lounge closed down a couple of years ago (assuming you mean Village Vapour Lounge)
>>
>>1109042
>>1109047
as a guy who's lived in toronto his whole life. all that shit you mentioned is terrible. nothing in this city is fun

here is some more shit you can do OP
https://imgur.com/a/wfjlw
>>
>>1109042
>>1109047
>>1109104
I always chuckle at the losers that try to make Toronto out to be anything other than a boring, faggoty version of NYC.

Seriously, get the fuck out while you still can, this whole """"""country"'""""""" is miserable.
>>
>>1109042
>>1109047
Touristy museums, shopping malls, bars, Korean food...

You just described every city in North America.
>>
>>1108942
It closed down earlier this month to make room for condos.http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/6391326-canadiana-backpackers-inn-hostel-to-close-april-10-to-make-way-for-a-41-storey-condo-at-richmond-and/

There is no money to be made from backpackers as they're all extreme cheapskates.
>>
>>1109133
You're an idiot. Toronto is an amazing city and Canada is an amazing country.
>>
HAPPY GROUNDHOGS DAY
>>
>>1109382
>being this insecure/delusional

Canada sucks.
>>
File: angry-feminist.jpg (34 KB, 560x330) Image search: [Google]
angry-feminist.jpg
34 KB, 560x330
>>1109444

Agreed but it wasn't always this way. Canada used to be the pride of the British Empire. It all went downhill when they changed their flag to a fucking leaf in the 1960s. Hordes of gooks and poo in the loos flooded the country and now we the cultureless, opressive, SJW mecca that it is today where white males are no longer welcome. It's a shame as the country has some scenic rural areas.

Pic related: Toronto's most notorious feminist
>>
>>1109446
It's not just her. Canadian women in general just seem terrible. On other internet forums when a woman begins ranting and foaming at the mouth I click on her profile and discover she is from Canada. The super conservative and actively submissive women that pop up in response to the radical left are almost as bad though. You complain about poo-in-the-loos and Hongcouver but to be honest, they probably represent Canada's sanest citizens nowadays.
>>
>>1109450
Anglo women seem terrible. All the issues canadian girls have, british, american and australians girls do too
>>
>>1109466
Well we all share the same media which pushes nothing but the best moral values.
>>
>>1109477
hue

For example german girls, although they seem ice queens, or french ones, although they seem stuck up as shit, aren't evil like anglo girls
>>
>>1109466
Canadian women are in their own league of feminism gone awry.

At least American women are likely to reject feminism, even though they retain some shitty aspects of it. In Canada, women actually embrace it as something positive.
>>
>>1109450
>>1109466
OP here

A lot of my girl friends identify as feminist, but arent radical SJWs like you've described. it take some digging, but its not too difficult to find laid back women that are chill as fuck and don't care so much about social issues that its a nuisance. Canadian girls aren't terrible. They're a lot like american girls. In fact id even go so far as to say a lot of them are more laid back, and less strange in some cases... ive met a lot of fucking weird american girls.
>>
>>1109104
There are many of them around the city. The one yonge an charles is open and the hot box in kensington is open
>>
>>1109444
>>1109446
>>1109466
Quebec is the last place fighting the good fight. I know the kneejerk reaction is to think of the tuition protests, and yada yada but hear me out..

I was born an anglophone Quebecer so I was ingrained to hate Quebec, but the more time I spend elsewhere, the more I respect Quebec nationalism. I'm in Scandinavia right now and I feel that Quebec nationalists are trying to build a society like the Nordics used to have before they became cucked.

>assimilate immigrants
>celebrate cultural uniqueness
>ignore sjw political correctness bullshit
>promote a society based on a common culture rather than consumerism and other bullshit
>>
>>1108758
Look Op, I've lived here for 12 years now, but I've also travelled to most of the world's major cities so take what I have to say knowing that. To me Toronto is inferior to most other comparable places in nearly every way, to me the only exception is the food and drink scene It's my 4th favorite city to eat/drink in, behind HK, Las Vegas and Singapore. It doesn't matter what kind of food you like or the kinds of places you like to drink in, you can find a world class example of them in Toronto. Just don't be a sap and don't waste your time on chain bars and american fast food. Only gripe is sometimes things can be a little spread out unless you're in specific corridors of downtown, and the public transit system is really straight mediocre.

And it's a little pricey, but you can eat and drink cheap if you do a little digging, mostly in Uni areas. I think most people miss out by staying downtown though. Downtown is great and there are plenty of awesome spots but to me it's all pretty samey unless you're in chinatown or whatever distinct part. I love going up north to the korean area around Finch station, then koreatown proper, yogne and eglinton is a cool area for what it is too. If you can only go to one bar in TO, Barvolo is the one to go to.
>>
>>1111012
What are you doing there? I ask 'cause I'm an anglophone who lived in Scandinavia and feel like I belong there (or Montreal) more than I do in Toronto
>>
>>1111111
>>
Avoid anywhere around Roncesvalles village or junction triangle, they're basically Reddit: the neighborhood.

Well actually avoid Toronto altogether, but especially these neighborhoods. The whole city is dull and people are even boring when they drink. Oh and you can't find good live music anywhere...
>>
>>1109352
NOOOOOOOOO!

Mad respect to the owner though. Pointing out and stating reasons for closing, calling the area boring, it's cool shit like the backpackers in that made the area cool when I was there condos were going up and work everywhere. Toronto kind of reminds me of Chicago.
>>
>>1111405
LAS VEGAS!? Food?
>>
>>1111682
Yeah, I don't know what that guy was talking about. The "Korean area" around Finch station is nothing special either. It's about 5 square blocks of chain stores, overpriced condos, and mediocre Korean food.
>>
>>1111679
The Canadiana was a great place to meet other backpackers. It was packed with Brits, Germans, Irish and Australians every Summer. The owner was a dick though. He was an angry, old British man who would sit out on the patio watching the young people drinking and having fun, feeling bitter that he wasn't getting any sex. I don't understand why anyone like that would get into the hostel business. No big loss. There are plenty of other hostels in Toronto.

>>1111691
He probably read that shit on TripAdvisor or something and thought he'd repeat it to sound knowledgeable. Welcome to /trv/: where you can get travel advice about a city from people who have never been there.
>>
OP if you come you should check out the Jane and Sheppard area at night
>>
>>1111746
Lol. That area is full of niggers and pakis
>>
>>1111502
literally good live music every night. Literally went to a show last week. Literally going to a show tonight. Literally a stop for any band/dj/whatever that tours north america. Literally also a stop for indie/not-so-famous yet artists.

I've already said that I don't love this city but it is world-class (even if it's the shittiest world class city)
>>
>>1111931
Dude Literally? That's literally awesome.
>>
>>1112127
Yeah, it was on purpose so you're really not being that cheeky...
>>
>>1111746
He should check out Dundas and Sherbourne at night as well. Such a progressive neighborhood
>>
Wait, should I NOT go to Toronto?

A friend and I were thinking of going. But I see a lot of anons saying to avoid it. We are torn between Toronot or Chicago. What do?
>>
>>1108942
This
>>
>>1112210
Don't go too far east (Scarborough is shit), too far north (North York is a sleepy Chinese outpost and Brampton is kebab central), or west (Missisauga is the least interesting place in the world)
>>
>>1112210
Honestly Toronto has a hopeless case of unwarranted pride. Ask anyone who lives there and despite not having lived anywhere else in the world, they'll go on about how it's world class, it's so multicultural, there's so much to do, etc. Etc.

Ignore those faggots. There's really not much to see or do and there is nothing unique about the city, it's like a bad impression of an American city. The only thing it has going for it is its size. You will find nothing special, that you can't find better versions of elsewhere. I could think of at least 50 North American cities that are more interesting than Toronto.

I say this because there's so many who have drank the kool aid and believe the hype from the self promotion machine... I have never seen a more egotistical city despite having nothing special, at all.

Go to Chicago, at least there you'll have shit to do and some kind of history to the city.
>>
>>1112304
>chicago
Chicago and Toronto are sister cities, both are great lakes metropolises, and both have highly urban cores, and boring suburbs. Besides some arts museums and nice parks, you'll have nothing much to do. At least Toronto has Niagara Falls that's close.
>>
>>1112304
This 100%

>>1113466
The difference is Chicago is unique. There are things to see/do/eat in Chicago that you can't find anywhere else.

I don't love Chicago but at least it's got an identity.
>>
>>1111746
Haha, complete experience of diversity and multiculturalism.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.