[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What’s up /trv/, I am an American guy in my mid-twenties. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Possible Trip.png (69 KB, 1027x947) Image search: [Google]
Possible Trip.png
69 KB, 1027x947
What’s up /trv/,
I am an American guy in my mid-twenties. I am currently between jobs and recently moved out of my old place and back in with my parents; which could be a bad thing, but I am making the best of it. I have a decent amount of money saved up and I think I am going to go and spend 90 days travelling around Europe. I feel like I am at a pivotal point in my life and I have an opportunity to go do this now, I may not have this opportunity again for many years. This is a hair brained idea I just came up with and there will be a lot more planning before I go. Please see pic related for a very rough itinerary.
Some basic info about me:
-Am 24, male, American
-Traveled quite a bit as a child, but only been out of the US a few times
-Speak English and enough Spanish to find the bus station
-Kind of a history nerd, particularly renaissance, but all eras are welcome
-Have a good amount of money ~$10k saved up for the trip
-Planning to travel light, just with a backpack
-Will either camp or stay in hostels most of the time.

I do have quite a few general questions for any long term travelers or American expats.

1.How do you deal with getting money?

I have a good amount saved up, but I am not going to be walking around with thousands of Euros in my pockets. How can I get money from my American bank into my pocket?

2.How much does it cost to stay in a hostel for a night?

I know this will hugely vary depending on where I am. Also would it be cheaper to find a hostel outside of a major city and take the train around or should I just find a place in the city?

3.How is the rail system in terms of going country to country?

This will probably be my main route of transportation. I have heard that it really goes downhill outside of like Northwestern Europe.

4.Would it be possible to visit Russia (St. Petersburg)?

5.Is going to countries outside of the Schengen zone a bad idea if I plan to re-enter?
>>
6.Am I missing any places on my itinerary or are any of the places I am going a waste of time?

I have already been to Northern France, Great Britain, and Ireland. I would like to go again someday, but I am leaving them off the list for now so I can see new places.

7.Any other advice?
>>
File: adv.x.trv.png (286 KB, 753x695) Image search: [Google]
adv.x.trv.png
286 KB, 753x695
>>1107911
>2.How much does it cost to stay in a hostel for a night?
>I know this will hugely vary depending on where I am. Also would it be cheaper to find a hostel outside of a major city and take the train around or should I just find a place in the city?
I don't think that you can find a lot of hostels out of the major cities.
I found a nice hostel in Florence just for 9€/night.

ps. pic with my green suggestions.
>>
>>1107990

Why do you recommend Sardinia? I am assuming this would be a boat ride from either Nice or Rome?

What was the dot you added in Italy? Is it supposed to be Florence? Because that is what my other dot was supposed to be. May have been a little off placing my dots.
>>
>>1107990
>>1107996

Also, why do you recommend Sardinia over Corsica? As a foreigner who has never been it seems like the islands may be very similar?
>>
>>1107996
I'm sorry my friend, I didn't think to add some notes near the new routes.
First of all these are just my personal advices biased by my last trip.
Simply I loved Sardinia and the people that you can find around that island. there were very kind and friendly furthermore there are some beautiful beachs near to Golfo di Orosei and Santa Lucia (east coast).
There are some boats that link Palermo (Sicily) to Cagliari (south Sardinia) and Porto Torres (north Saridnia) to Marsiglia (France).

About the new path near Florence I simply suggested you to visit Poggibonsi, San Gimignano and the area around Siena (and Siena itself).

I'm sorry for my english!:)
>>
Sounds great, good luck!
Personal suggestions: start from Lisbon, Portugal! 10/10 place.
Try and pass through Switzerland. It is the heart of the Alps and so beautiful. Bit more expensive maybe, so just go through the country in one day by train.
(=
>>
>>1108003
No! Your English is great, and your advice is most welcome. For visiting the Florence/Sienna areas (which is one of the areas I really want to see) What is the best way to get around?

Buses? Trains? Bicycle? I really have no idea what the area and roads are like other than the hills. It does seem like it will mostly be too far to walk....
>>
>>1108009
I initially planned for Madrid just because the airfare seems cheaper, but I have not checked all the options. Unfortunately, I will be flying from Los Angeles so I have fewer options unless I choose to connect through one of the Eastern US international airports.

Yes, I really want to see Switzerland, but I really don't have anything else to see that will take me to that area, unless I can some how go there from Bavaria.

I have been to France twice before, so it is largely off the travel list, and I have heard that Northern Italy is a place to lose a lot of money (or get robbed/scammed) so I will probably steer clear of that.
>>
>>1108015
>>1108020
I'm from Italy and frankly I don't think anyone could be robbed unless it's not an idiot (protip: avoid african groups in dark roads :))
Maybe there are some risks to be scammed in the the major tourist cities but, again, if you speak with locals and ask for suggestions and advice you'll go well.

Tuscany: I went from Florence to San Gimignano by bus (if my memory is still okay, through Poggibonsi)
You can try to search for buses or trains (trenitalia.it), if you can't find anything I'll try to google something.
>>
>>1108020
If you fly to/from LAX you can completely choose where in europe you want to start/end your trip. I can't name a large airport that doesn't have at least one daily flight to/from LAX.

>>1107911
>1.How do you deal with getting money?
As anyone else, with your banks debit card, ask your bank for a international accepted card like maestro/visa debit or just use a credit card.

7-90€ per night depending on where you stay and on what date (festivals, conventions etc can double or triple prices)

>3.How is the rail system in terms of going country to country?
You don't notice it, The trains simply go from A to B, there's no real border check or anything.

>4.Would it be possible to visit Russia (St. Petersburg)?
You need a visa for that, ask the embassy, usually you can get a 3 day transit visa with no problem when you arrive by boat/airplane.

>5.Is going to countries outside of the Schengen zone a bad idea if I plan to re-enter?
no, you have a maximum stay of 90 days within 180days in the schengen area with unlimited entries/exits. Just check the visa regulations for the other countries...

>6.Am I missing any places on my itinerary or are any of the places I am going a waste of time?
There's a lot like the Alps area, the balkan, portugal or mediterran islands... but that is already a hell of a trip for 90 days so uhm well...
>>
>>1108051
Thanks for the input. This is really a list of stuff I want to do. It may all go out the window as I start planning.

Regarding flying, I can fly into just about anywhere from LAX, I just noticed that Madrid is generally one of the cheapest flights, plus its a good starting point. I would love to go to Lisbon though. I also some times see decent fares for London, probably due to volume, but I'm not really planning on seeing the UK.
>>
>>1108020
I'm the guy you replied to, anyway I'm from Varese in the north of Italy. Don't travel here, as a northern Italian I advise you not to.
There is loads of great stuff to see, don't get me wrong, but the best parts of Italy are in the south (Rome, Naples..) and yes, you will lose money in the north.
>>
>>1108072
lol compà.. dove pensi possa un /trv essere derubato quassù?
E bada bene che vivo a Torino da anni e credo sia una città, stupenda, ma piena di africani e posti non stupendi per la propria sicurezza.
Pura curiosità, onestamente non mi sono mai sentito in pericolo...

Ciao;)
>>
>>1108072
Thanks for the honesty. I appreciate it.
>>
>>1108076
Venezia, mulon. :^)
>>
>>1108072
I meant 'lose money' in the sense that travelling through cities like Milan, Pisa and Venezia might be expensive than you think. I never meant it in sense that people will rob you or scam you. Sorry if I misunderstood.
Don't get the impression that it's dangerous or full of scammers in Italy, it's like anywhere else in the world, and people are nice!
>>
>>1108076
Mi sono sbagliato cazzo, capito male l'altro anon. Si vede che devo imparare a leggere ahah.
Hai ragione, non ci si può sentire in pericolo quassù soprattutto a Varese!
Nato e cresciuto a Varese e amo il nord, pero non spesso consiglio alla gente di viaggiarci. Non so perché.

Sorry about the Italian, OP. You didn't miss too much :)
>>
File: 20120921_018_u_2225x1495.jpg (2 MB, 2225x1495) Image search: [Google]
20120921_018_u_2225x1495.jpg
2 MB, 2225x1495
>>1107911
You must visit Budapest, one of the most beautiful and cheapest city in europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBSlVYEBDQU
>>
>>1107911
Under 10 euros east of germany and austria, starting at 20 for central europe and anything goes for spain, depending on where you want to stay. If you book in advance that is. A lot of hostels have much higher walk-in prices. Like others said it can vary a lot depending on location within the state, general state of the hostel, room size, etc.
>3.How is the rail system in terms of going country to country?
The route you planned is fine. Slovenia and croatia railroads are shit and it takes forever to pass through, but you're not planning on going there anyway. Keep in mind that trains are ALWAYS late in italy and not just a few minutes, but often hours.
Also in a lot of trains especially in france and italy, seat reservations are compulsory and in germany it is very much recommended or you can expect to stand.
>6.Am I missing any places on my itinerary or are any of the places I am going a waste of time?
I think you shouldn't plan on more than a day for southern france, either the cities are shitholes (nice, marseille) or there's simply nothing to do unless you're rich (cannes, monaco). But generally you're route is cool, I did a similar one a few years back.
>>
>>1108337
>Also in a lot of trains especially in france and italy, seat reservations are compulsory and in germany it is very much recommended or you can expect to stand.

it's mandatory in germany now to for ICE
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.