[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
carry-on or check-in / 40 days in SEA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: carry-on-1-096-b.jpg (13 KB, 355x303) Image search: [Google]
carry-on-1-096-b.jpg
13 KB, 355x303
I'm going for a 40-day trip to SEA in August. 10 days in Laos then 30 in the Philippines.

I can't decide whether to take check-in luggage or just a carry-on. I travel qutie a lot and always take carry-on only, so I know what's it about, but I don't remember going on such a long trip before so I don't really know.

Any ideas of what I have to give up on if I don't bring check-in luggage on this trip?

also, general Laos thread, as there's already one for the Flips.

why carry-on:

- flying out, I have just 1 hour connection in Bucharest, between different airlines. This means a high chance of losing my check-in right in the beginning.
- less luggage to carry on my back! (big one, that)
- some of the low-costers in SEA that I'll be taking have extra charges for check-in, which sometimes almost doubles the price.

cons:
- tight packing
- risk of having to check-in the carry-on bag anyway because it's bulging, thus defeating the purpose
- have to buy nail-clipper for 0.5USD every time lol

- you tell me ????

as said above, also general Lao thread
>>
>>1107112
Just take carry on, if you buy a bag at the size limit (never had to check mine in btw) you should have more than enough space, you can wash clothes as you go so you don't need many at all, and they're the biggest space stealer. All of the negatives so outweigh being able to take a few things you don't really need that it completely isn't worth it imo.
>>
another thing I probably won't be able to fit into carry-on is shoes, so I'll just have to get by with sandals.

is it too bad? Like, is Manila too dirty to just go in sandals?

I can probably pass by all those clubs that don't let you in in sandals
>>
>>1107142
>another thing I probably won't be able to fit into carry-on is shoes,

Again I manage just fine, and this isn't some RealTraveller shit where I'm trying to prove how thrifty I am, because I really don't think that's the case, but in my 44L backpack for carry on I have space for shoes, everything else and then some left over.
>>
>>1107124
Bear in mind, though, if you have a first leg on an Embrear or similar, carry-on luggage of any size is going to be checked through to te final destination, as likely as not, at the gate. So make sure you can easily pull out shit you will want on your flights.
>>
>>1107142
Most SEA airlines will let you walk on with pretty much any size bag you want. If your backpack is too big or heavy, empty half of it into a shopping bag and walk on. I've never, ever had a problem doing this.
Also remember that even on the longer flights you get a carry-on (weight occasionally checked) and a laptop bag which is never, ever weighed, because you can't put a laptop in checked luggage.
>>
>>1107112
I am having this exact same dilemma and am also planning a trip to SEA - Laos and Thailand.
I really have no idea as I haven't traveled properly before. The biggest thing for me is that check on makes the flights a lot more expensive and as you mention, if time is short you might not be able to get it checked.
I might look at buying a check in bag over there so I can bring stuff back tho.
>>
>>1107466
I see what you mean - in those small aircrafts where the overhead boxes for luggage are really tiny, they often collect pretty much all carry-ons at the entrance to the aircraft (or at the gate). But then they usually give it back to you upon disembarcation of that flight - they don't "check in" your staff for subsequent flights. At least from my experience.

Anyway, the first let is A310 so I suppose should be no problem. Then on those SEA flights can be anything of course
>>
>>1107142
Why not just wear the shoes on the plane and put the sandals in your bag for the times you'll need them? You can always hang shoes on the outside if you absolutely have to.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.