[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: im81Vhg.png (426 KB, 885x592) Image search: [Google]
im81Vhg.png
426 KB, 885x592
Let's try this here one more time.
QTDDTOT - Questions that don't deserve their own thread.
Anything /trv/ related that don't need a whole thread.

When's the best time to buy low-cost airline tickets? A few weeks ahead or wait for last minute deals?
>>
How's the situation in Ukraine vs Russia?
I'm thinking about going there in September to visit Prypiat and then take a train from Kyiv to Moscow.
>>
>>1107141
>How's the situation in Ukraine vs Russia?
very poor, animosity on the personal and political levels is growing; increasing economic consequences of conflict in Ukr
>I'm thinking about going there in September to visit Prypiat and then take a train from Kyiv to Moscow.
if pripyat interests you then go ahead but other than the nature-taking-over-streets part it is kind of dull, one of those places for which it is more fun to say you've been rather than actually be there; same with the train, if it still runs, the delay at the border will be inconvenient unless that is the reason you're taking the train.
>>
Any tips for Oslo and the Bergen Railway?

What's the cheapest/best way to go to St Petersburg?

>When's the best time to buy low-cost airline tickets? A few weeks ahead or wait for last minute deals?
This also interests me
>>
>>1107201
>go to St Petersburg?
From the Netherlands, I mean
>>
>>1107167
Yeah, I do like the abandoned aspect, but there are also some other things that interests me.

And for going to Moscow by train, there are some factors that made me want to take this route.
First because I also want to visit Moscow. Second because I'm planning to go to Bangkok after there and it's cheaper to do Kyiv ->(train)->Moscow ->(airplane)->Bangkok
than take a plane from Kyiv to Moscow.
>>
>>1107201
http://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Amsterdam.htm

This site probably can help you.
>>
>>1106973
>>1107201
I have always assumed and been told the way low cost airlines make money is by raising prices for last minute flights.

It would make sense, if you have to get somewhere you have to get somewhere. So they can charge what they want and you have to pay
>>
How easy is it for somebody (who can't drive) to travel around Ireland? Trains good there?

I'm from the UK but I honestly have no idea about Irish public transport, just been to Dublin once and it seemed alright there
>>
How's New Orleans?
>>
>>1107212
Or they want to fill the airplane as much as possible and will lower the prices when there's still a few seats left and only a few hours for departure?
>>
>>1107221
Oh yeah of course, if you don't care where you are going then look for last minute deals.
>>
File: ireland_railway_map.png (102 KB, 1088x1239) Image search: [Google]
ireland_railway_map.png
102 KB, 1088x1239
>>1107213
It's about as good as the UK. I live in the north and almost always drive but its not hugely better or worse than the mainland uk
>>
Which Eastern Europe country-city for easy - beautiful girls, at least decent night life, budget travel and beautiful scenery?

Me and 3 of my friends will go on a trip for 2-3 weeks.
>>
>>1106973
>When's the best time to buy low-cost airline tickets? A few weeks ahead or wait for last minute deals?
I always see their best deals months ahead of time. Usually 2-4 months before the flight they will have specials for that time range and you can book up the tickets for cheaper than usual.

Usually their tickets are higher close to the flying date. I often look up tickets on alegiant airlines and those months ahead from now are much cheaper than those in the next few weeks.
>>
>>1107356
I was this summer in Krakov (Eastern Germany....I mean Poland) and it was fine, night life, a lot of things to see and people were nice to us, but I think that being a Spaniard always gets you a bonus when meeting people.
>>
>>1107377
>Spaniard

Well we are Turkish. Me and another friend looks kinda Europian tho the 3rd friend looks much more like Middle Eastern. Dark and hairy.

I think chicks love it when you dont look like the local dudes and look exotic
>>
Is it possible to visit Iwo Jima? I'm a brit, I read somewhere that only military veterans can visit, I am not that
>>
>>1107219
A must see but only spend one night/day on bourbon st
>>
>>1107382
Turk, dont go to eastern europe....you will be beat if you try to get a girl there...
>>
>>1107387
No, it's a Japanese naval base now. As you said, only veterans can visit and that's only on special events.
>>
>>1107550
That surprises me, would have thought it would be a massive tourist thing.

How about the other Japanese Islands, any well preserved World War 2 stuff like bunkers?
>>
East coast anon here, i want to go "west" is dallas worth visiting?
>>
>>1107580
Depends what you're interested in.
>>
I'm shipping out to Navy bootcamp in 3 months. I'm saving up some money from my job and decided I want to take a little vacation before I go. I'm not sure where to go though.

I pretty much just want to see some sights, hang out in a hostel, drink, and swim. I was thinking Cancun or cozumel but those are probably very touristy. I've been everywhere in the US except for the Midwest but I know I don't want to go there. I want to leave the United States and go somewhere crazy. My dad has always said if I pay for my plane ticket to Europe, he'll pay for everything else but I REALLY don't want to travel with him. I've only really travelled the US and the Caribbean area on a cruise when I was young. I'm not going to have a whole lot of money to spend, maybe 2k or so for 2 weeks or so, I'm not sure. I haven't even thought much of the eastern hemisphere since it seems to expensive to fly there. My favorite US city is Seattle, I love seeing the mountains, the great forests and trees, and then the water. I like to swim.

Where should I go? Any ideas?
>>
Where do I keep my passport when in SEA? Like if I were to go out on the town would I be good to bring my bag with me? I have very little faith in safes/hotel rooms when it comes to the safety of my shit. What am I supposed to do with my bag when I go rafting or swimming? Where do I put my passport!?
>>
>>1107605

Honestly, once you settle in you're gonna travel a lot in the Navy and stop at ports and shit. So. You shouldn't worry much about travel or missing out. You'll be seeing a lot. My grandfather was in the Navy and he always had stories about places he had visited and seen.
>>
>>1106973
Excuse me but I believe you left out New Zealand on that map.
>>
>>1107638
Always put your passport in a ziplock bag. I made the mistake of having it in a travel pack that goes under my tshirt/pants so it's not visible. It was in the tropics and hot as balls so I sweated through the passport...

But yeah, you should just leave it in your room. Hide it somewhere a thief wouldn't look like in a secret compartment in your backpack or underneath a pile of tshirts or something. Do note that in some countries you have to have the passport on you at all times.
>>
>>1107662
Make sure you don't forget where you put it yourself though. I had friends that hid their passports so well that they ended up leaving it behind in hotel rooms
>>
Do you guys think the staff/owners of motels would be pissed off if I drove up to the building, filled a cooler with ice, and left? I'm going camping and don't want to pay for frozen water when it's available in literally every single motel.
>>
How does couchsurfing even work?

Can I just like get hosted in someone's house for free and that's it?
>>
>>1107662
Do countries accept a copy (or at least an authenticated copy) of the passport instead of the passport itself?
>>
>>1107704
No, if you lose/damage a passport you can get a temporary replacement in an embassy. It can take up to a few days to get one however.
>>
>>1107669
Why wouldn't they?
They expect their customers to use the ice and in moderated quantities, not freeloaders to come, fill their bin and leave.
The price they charge from their customers also covers the ice so if some random dude comes, pick the ice and leave without renting a room, they're not making money to cover the ice.
>>
>>1107685

It's simple.

1) be handsome and cool and young
2) create nice profile
3) host a few people, be nice and they'll write something nice about you. You know have "references/referrals" and can proceed to step 4.
4) send request and be accepted because of step 1 and 3 (you're cool and trustworthy)

You can skip step 1 and 3, but then you'll have to surf with creeps and can forget the cute girls (I've fucked one host, but ii must have surfed a dozen times at least).
>>
>>1107669

Don't listen to this jackass >>1107817

You can either ask nicely and they'll let you, or just go for it. I would just go for it. I walk into resorts and hotels and hostels and motels and restaurants all the time to piss and shit (I'm a van dweller, no way I'm taking a shit inside it, can't imagine the smell). They never care if they're employees, so I usually aim for the big hotels and restaurants. Resorts are the best, they often have showers and all next to the swimming pool.
>>
>>1107605

If you're aiming for Mexico and cheap tickets just look on the Google.com/flights map for the cheapest destination there. It might be Puerto Vallarta, or La Paz (near Cabo), or wherever. In La Paz you can swim with whalesharks and stuff.
>>
>>1107835
Well I guess it'll have to wait until I get my own home

Thanks anon
>>
>>1106973
>When's the best time to buy low-cost airline tickets?

last year, I bought GVA-BKK 9 months ahead, I paid 600€
this year, same route, I bought 1 month ahead and paid 450€.
you just can't plan ahead, if you see a cheap one, buy it.
>>
How do people wash their clothes abroad. I mean I know there are laundramats in some places but if you cant find one.
>>
How many of you have bought a cheap flight just because its cheap?

I graduate this summer and there are some cheap flights to Spain and Ireland. I have travelled alone in Asia but never Europe (despite being from England) should I do it? Anyone got any experiences of just booking a short cheap trip because "fuck it"?
>>
>>1108128
Sink or shower.
Leave it to dry overnight.
>>
>>1108128
Follow-up to this, heard some good things about merino wool, is it worthwhile and where are some good places to pick some up online(eu sites preferably)?
>>
>>1108207
but it´s gonna look like shit, ain´t it?
>>
>>1108128
Either public laundromats or most hostel/hotels will offer the service. If you have just a few things to wash you can use the sink but that's not great for the long term. If you don't have access to any of the above then you're probably in a place where having flawlessly clean clothes isn't that important.
>>
>>1108236
Yeah, if you're using clothes that need ironing.
>>
>>1108216
It does a good job at resisting odours and retaining a fair bit of thermal value when wet. It's a fabric you'd want in cold climates, certainly not in hot ones. I have a set of merino thermals that work well. Might be worth looking at if your trip is taking you to both hot and cold destinations.
>>
>>1108254
It's wool so I guess it's expected to be hot.
But I'm wondering when it's too hot to use merino wool, do you have any numbers?
80º?
>>
>>1107377
No it doesn't, trust me. We hate the fact you say you speak English and when there is a follow up question you stare into the abyss. You have ugly hair, only group up with other Spantards and find the most strategic place on a sidewalk to block every possible movement.
>>
What foreign country could I go to for $800 (leaving from Florida)
>>
>>1108402
You can buy merino tshirts for hot climates
>>
I'm going to SEA for around 2 months with my gf. What should I be preparing for the most? What should I be most aware of? Anything that people who have already been would of done differently before going or differently whilst there? We will be starting in Vietnam and going through Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore. If anyone could just throw at me as much advice or info as possible Ithat would be very helpful, we have already done shit loads of research and preparing and we have a decent amount of travelling experience but we have never gone somewhere for such a long time this exotic without pre booking hotels and having everything set out, thanks guys.
>>
>>1108133
That's what I do. I check flights reasonably often and if one comes up in a place that's somewhere on my list of places I like, then I'll go

No reason not to, it's a broad question

In Japan now because of a flight deal I saw coming home from work. Worked out well
>>
>>1108426
Don't take your gf and bang ladyboys in each coubtry.

To be hobest though, get your vaccinations, watch out for dengue fever and have a great time. Don't rely on a pre-set list, but get some notions and explore on your own. For Cambodia, outside of the sights and temple memes, I would recommend visiting some shooting ranges.
>>
>>1107141

>>1108440
>>
File: 1450835082549.png (204 KB, 318x308) Image search: [Google]
1450835082549.png
204 KB, 318x308
>>1106973
>230voltugal
>>
How likely am I to encounter large spiders in either SE Asia or Central America during their dry season around Jan/Feb?

I'm an arachnophobe and aside from money and plotting where to go to have the best time, that's my biggest concern
>>
Going to Japan for 3 and a half weeks in less than a month.
Should I change my flights so that instead of coming back to the UK I can visit Hong Kong, Thailand and Malaysia?
If I do should I just stay in Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur or should I go elsewhere?
If so, hows the transport in those countries? Where's good to visit and stay?
How much will it cost me in food and transport for a week in each of these places?
Ive only ever gone on one trip without family or my school so I'm quite nervous.
>>
>>1108711
Adding on to this, Im going to Japan with a friend but he's coming striaght back to the UK.
Is it worth it going on my own or should I wait til next summer?
>>
For you guys who have gone on road trips and didn't stay in hotels/motels every night, where do you charge your electronics?
>>
>>1108743
Go out to eat
"Where are your outlets?"
>>
>>1108684
If you are staying in cities you won't see any spiders most likely.

But if you are planning to go hiking through jungles and swamps then you are going to find big spiders in both countries
>>
Any suggestion on which sim card to buy in Europe?
I'm searching for a prepaid that works at least in the EU countries. And if possible, with a data plan for emergencies.
Anyone have any experiences on quality of networks compared to the rate they charge?
I'll be arriving at Amsterdam.
>>
>>1109217
bump
>>
>>1108743
USB port on car's lighter
>>
>>1109994
How's that related to sim cards?
>>
Where's the best national park in the USA? I like the idea of getting a cabin or something then hiking round forests and mountains and lakes, without loads of other people around
>>
Is Airbnb a cheap enough option if you don't want to stay in motels or hostels? I don't know much about pricing or budgeting for travelling at all
>>
Anyone had experience of Denmark or Sweden? I want to go and I have some friends I could visit, but I've heard it's super expensive
>>
>>1110085
It can be cheaper than hotels, not always cheaper then hostels. No idea about motels.
As always, compare prices. It's free to do so.
>>
>>1110094
Sweden is pretty expensive, though if you have access to free lodging with free kitchen access, it'll be much cheaper since you can cut down the two most expensive bills (accommodation and food).
Don't know bout Denmark.
>>
>>1110349
>a country will be cheaper if you get accommodation and food for free

Cheers mate. Really helpful
>>
>>1110366
Don't underestimate the number of dense or just plain brainless people that frequent /trv/.
Just see the number of obvious advice people ask for.
>>
Don't know where to ask so I'll ask here.
How to use tinder when you don't have a facebook account?
I don't want to make one and I hear it's not easy to keep a fake facebook account.
Is it NG?
Any good alternative to tinder, then?
>>
>>1106973
Can any electrofags explain this? I last had physics in grade 9. I get the basic idea behind volts, Hertz, amps and Watts, but so what?

Is there any objective reason to have higher or lower voltage or Hertz?

And what the fuck is with Guyana?
>>
>>1107382
>I think chicks love it when you dont look like the local dudes and look exotic
lel. You're a Turk. In most of Europe (save Albania?) this means people think you are either a rapist, ISIS member, highschool dropout or work in a Döner shop. Maybe all four together. It is not going to do you any favours, especially not in eastern Europe.

Just buy your Moldovan whores in Istanbul the good old fashioned way. If you want more open dating, liberalize your country and stop voting for Erdogan.
>>
>>1107657
What's a New Zealand?
>>
>>1108414
Mexico, Jamaica, Domincan't Republic, Canada.
>>
I'm not sure about the frequency, but higher voltage leads to less loss due to cable resistance.
>>
If I end up messing these exams, can I teach English in Asia with a 2.2 degree in History? Its a good uni if that counts for anything
>>
>>1108402
merino is great for all climates, don't know what that anon was talking about
>>
I'm moving abroad.

Is a one way ticket going to get me extra bullshit from the TSA?
>>
>>1106973
nope, Spain is 220 not 230
>>
For those in the US, is it worth getting the TSA Pre-check? I don't travel often, but I hear right now the TSA lines are getting incredibly long
>>
i am flying overseas soon
i'll be taking two bags, one for clothes that i let get stored, and one for other stuff that i bring on the plane with me
if i were to bring a game console, would i be allowed to store it in the bag i take on the plane with me, just for maximum safety?
and hypothetically, if there were electrical outlets, would i be allowed to play it?
>>
>>1111775
Everything about this post is so sad.
>>
>>1111778
thanks for answering
>>
File: HUE-HUE-BR-BR.jpg (83 KB, 648x433) Image search: [Google]
HUE-HUE-BR-BR.jpg
83 KB, 648x433
To any brazilfags here, how do you deal with money when traveling abroad?
Credit card taxes and fees are high as fuck, buying money is expensive as fuck too and not the most convenient option either.
Is there any credit card option that doesn't charge such stupidly high fees when paying or cashing on ATMs abroad?
>>
>>1107666
>I had friends that hid their passports so well that they ended up leaving it behind in hotel rooms
I've done that. I slipped my passport under the mattress and then checked out without getting it. Had to run back into the hotel, ask for my key back and go get it while everyone was waiting at the bus. No big deal but embarrassing, would have been much worse if I remembered it later.

>>1107704
>Do countries accept a copy (or at least an authenticated copy) of the passport instead of the passport itself?
Not for crossing borders obviously but for some other things they will. In China you can book train tickets with a photocopy of a passport but you can't checkin or board a plane with a photocopy. Police will usually want the original if you get stopped for some reason but that rarely happens and if you're not actually being arrested then a copy might be ok then too.

I've checked into hotels with a photocopy but I've also been rejected from a hotel because of it.

You're best to carry an old passport with you, that will often be accepted if you explain where your current one is (like if you're applying for a visa).
>>
>>1108128
>How do people wash their clothes abroad. I mean I know there are laundramats in some places but if you cant find one.

I lived for a year out of hotels and hostels and laundry was my biggest challenge.

I washed pants and shirts in a sink and that was fine but socks and underwear I wouldn't unless I had literally run out. I had a week of both and would go looking for a laundry service or laundromat or try and stay in a hostel. Hostels nearly always can do laundry for cheap. Hotels are usually pretty expensive so I tend not to use them if I can avoid it.
>>
File: Snapchat-2538519717839814084.jpg (287 KB, 1080x1776) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2538519717839814084.jpg
287 KB, 1080x1776
Where did you get your TEFL/TESOL?
Been looking at http://www.teflinprague.com/, but I don't have any experience in this kind of stuff so I can't tell if it's legit or not.
I assume the job guarantee is only for the top of the class and not as easy to get as they make it seem, but I'd be fine teaching somewhere else after.
>>
>>1108252
>Yeah, if you're using clothes that need ironing.
Yeah, when long-term travelling, best to bring clothes that don't need ironing at all.

>>1110938
>Is there any objective reason to have higher or lower voltage or Hertz?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity#Voltage_levels

It's mainly just because they started that way in whatever country and it's expensive to change it.

There are some objective reasons but they're obscure. Higher voltages mean lower currents and makes conductors cheaper. I think lower hertz is efficient in some way too but I might be talking out my ass.
>>
>>1111775
>if i were to bring a game console, would i be allowed to store it in the bag i take on the plane with me, just for maximum safety?
>and hypothetically, if there were electrical outlets, would i be allowed to play it?

underageb&?

You can't play an xbawx but you can sure play a psp. Bring earphones.

Yes, you can bring electronics in carryon if you want, no big deal. It might get inspected but it should be ok.
>>
Trying to decide between Bosnia, Macedonia and Serbia for a holiday in August. Which would /trv/ recommend? Doing all 3 is probably out of the question as I only have a week or so off work.
>>
>>1111955
nah i'm just immature
thanks
>>
Is 100$ for 3-4 days at a hostel close to city center in amsterdam a bad deal
>>
>>1112007
Sounds OK. Amsterdam is expensive for accommodations.
>>
File: REI-Adventure-Pants.png (27 KB, 253x337) Image search: [Google]
REI-Adventure-Pants.png
27 KB, 253x337
I'm going on a safari later this year and need sweat/stain-resistant pants.

Any suggestions on brands or models I should look at, and are available in Europe?
>>
orbitz isn't mailing me a physical ticket for international travel leaving from US.
I thought all international travel needed a real ticket and not a printed itinerary?
>>
>>1106973
>When's the best time to buy low-cost airline tickets
>>1107212
>>1107221
>>1107223
>>1107374

see the sticky
>>609359
5. If you don't yet have a ticket, please don't ask /trv/ what the fare is, or how to get the cheapest fare. Look at the links in this thread.
>>
>>1112158
I tend to stay away from fancy coatings, as they don't last forever. You're going to get the odd mud stain. Nothing some water, travel soap and scorching African sun won't handle in a few hours.

For dealing with heat, you'll want natural fibres, cotton and/or linen, something a bit rugged for leg wear. Otherwise loose fitting to allow air flow. Stay away from denim. You can probably get away with khaki shorts just like Ranger Nigel but they're not common or practical in city environments.

I do have some moisture-wicking shirts made from synthetics that I love for the gym or longer bike tours, but I'm not sure how they'd hold up in equatorial heat. I'd guess I'd be sporting pit stains and a sweaty back no matter what.

I'd recommend a bottle of (unscented) baby powder, as it deals with heat rash nicely and helps keeps you dryer. There are kinds you can buy on the web with cooling agents (usually menthol). Scoff now, thank me later.

>>1112251
You'll get the 'real ticket' when you check in, i.e. a boarding pass.
>>
Iceland or Svalbard in late September-early October?
>>
>>1106973
>When's the best time to buy low-cost airline tickets?

Last minute, there's an app you can use to buy them from someone who won't make it.
>>
>>1112678
Name of app?
>>
Anyone ever uset Neteller's prepaid Mastercard (Net+)?
Is it a good option when you don't have access to a bank that charges no fees for international transaction?
>>
>>1106973
Hey, /trv/, I'm thinking of taking a two week budget break in Europe (live in the UK) in July but I can't decide where to go, can anyone give me some advice? I was thinking of heading to Southern France (i.e. Tolouse, Carcassone) but the possibility of traveling to Germany or Austria also caught my eye.

I like to do a lot of walking (though there are limits to how far I'll stray from a hostel, since I find sleeping in a tent to be depressing >_>), so if it makes any odds, an area with lots of exciting/unique environments is welcomed.
>>
How can I jew an airline into changing the date and destination on a budget ticket I've purchased, without paying hundreds more?
>>
>>1113608
There's the path to Santiago de Compostela, but doing that in July may not be the best idea.
>>
File: language learning is so fun!!!.jpg (158 KB, 960x420) Image search: [Google]
language learning is so fun!!!.jpg
158 KB, 960x420
I wanna study Portuguese in Salvador da Bahia for two weeks this summer. Question is, should I stay in a student room or with a host family? I'm sure it's fun and interesting staying with a local family, but it seems like with a student room you'd have more privacy and there's more partying going on. Also, which is usually more expensive?
>>
>>1112158
i just got a pair of the columbia global adventurer III and I really like them. 4-way stretch fabric, look like normal slacks, lightweight
>>
>>1113739
You do know that people in Bahia (and all of the north and northeast of Brazil) have a pretty strong accent, right?
>>
Want some general advice for my stay in Spain. Must-see places would be nice too.

Earned got a full scholarship for a Master's degree and will live in Segovia for around 9 months and have a couple of months to do whatever I want.
>>
>>1113615
lel.
>>
When abroad (dddduh) and staying in a city for 3+ days, what do you do with your passport?

>Leave it at a (presumably) secure hostel/hotel
>Carry it around

I always carry mine when outside of EU (as when inside, I don't bring it, national card only). I've found it to be useful when doing random stuff so you can quickly get the law out of your face. Plus it's essential in leaving the country, etc.

But having that shit in my pocket is distracting me from having a nice, relaxed walk and experience overall, i.e. I'm always conscious of the passport. Can't drink to a blackout state in fear of losing it, etc.

Thoughts (Besides stop being a pussy, 'cuz that's not an option desu)?
>>
>>1113914
I just carry a copy of the essential pages and leave the original safe in the hotel or wherever I'm staying.
If there's no safe place to leave, then I'll carry with me.
I never had a situation where a copy of my passport with an ID with photo (from my own country) wasn't enough. Most of the times, my ID is not even required.
You obviously can't do anything related to official matters with just a copy (cross borders, apply for visa and such), but for the other situations (buying adults-only products, entering adult-only places, even police officers stopping you on street) it's normally enough.
>>
File: moro-MMAP-md.png (72 KB, 1036x733) Image search: [Google]
moro-MMAP-md.png
72 KB, 1036x733
Can I visit the coastal regions of the Sahara during June/July or is it too hot?

I am British and I have never traveled South of Gibraltar, will I need time to acclimatise?
>>
>>1113878
+1 to this one, and
>>1113992
this one

Also, related to both, has anybody went from Spain to Morocco by bus? Is it doable/recommended?
>>
>>1113914
>>1113958

But note that in some countries, the law requires you to have your passport with you.

Unlikely to come up unless you get into trouble otherwise, but at that moment you probably do not need more trouble...
>>
File: 1241129303729.jpg (19 KB, 431x431) Image search: [Google]
1241129303729.jpg
19 KB, 431x431
>>1113997
>as anybody went from Spain to Morocco by bus?

Like, circling the Med?
>>
>>1114064
I think they mean across the Strait of Gibraltar.
>>
>>1114064
Yeah, exactly >>1114090
>>
Why does Airbnb fees change depending on the browser I use or wether I'm logged or not?
>>
Hello /trv/I'm doing a 2 months travel (4 countries) and i was wondering what would be better a netbook or a tablet for consulting offline information and backing up photos from my camera.Things I'm considering are battery life and usability ( It's easier to take out a tablet from a backpack and use it than a laptop) opinions and experiences ?
>>
>>1114131
Possible one browser/being logged in displays cleaning fees and service fees while the other doesn't.

Not sure, but those are the two difference makers between the search price an final purchase.
>>
>>1114064
dude you need to cross the sea (Strait of Gibraltar)
>>
File: 20160508_145728.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160508_145728.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>1114137
Tablet. The lighter you travel, the better. Even in Swaziland you should have electricity+wifi, so after a long day and you're back at the hostel/hotel, transfer everything from camera to tablet. On my phone I have it so that every time the device is charging+on wifi it automatically uploads all my photos to the google botnet.

>>1113958
>>1114063
Thanks guys, informative posts and things to consider.

>>1113992
Interwebs say that the average high is 37 degrees in Dakhla, which is laughable for Sahara. For comparison, it goes in the 40s for Douz.
>>
>>1114285
where is the photo?
>>
File: 20160508_144148.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160508_144148.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
>>1114293
>the one time I don't include a description
http://www.airmuseum-bg.com/eng/
>>
>>1113906
I thought that might be the case.
>>
Any tips or tricks for buying RTW tickets?
>>
WHAT IS GOING ON WITH ONIONS AND PEPPER IN SLOVENIA ITS IN EVERY MEAL MY BREATH STINKS ALL THE TIME ITS NOT EVEN THAT GOOD ARE THEY AUTISTIC OR WHAT THE FUCK
>>
Hey guys, odd question but I have two weeks holiday time in July (unfortunately, it has to be taken in that month), so I was thinking of taking a coach trip from Scotland to central Europe via megabus, using either either Amiens/Gent/Antwerp/Cologne as starting (and ending) points.

Can anyone recommend some interesting places to visit that aren't super far removed from those starting points (i.e. accessible via coach/train in around 4hrs tops). I was thinking about maybe visiting the Rhine valley (in around Bonn) for a start.

Fwiw, I like doing a lot of walking and I find big cities (like Vienna/Berlin) to be kind of boring and slightly overwhelming in scope.
>>
>>1115586
Bonn is not that interesting, you need to go further south, at least to around Koblenz. Between there and Mainz should be the sort of thing you're looking for. Look up 'Romantischer Rhein' hiking routes. You may also like Trier.

I can't imagine how horrific it will be though, taking the bus from Scotland to Germany... too many hours on a bus for my liking.
>>
Does anyone know a way to get a cheap private double room in Berlin?
All Airbnb requests gets refused because of the new laws, and hotels are expensive.
>>
How much it costs to eat in manhattan? Nothing fancy just to survive, going with gf in a couple months. Also aug/sep?
>>
>>1106973
How do i start travelling?
>>
>>1115905
get off 4chan
>>
>>1115914
Done. What's next?
>>
>>1115918
that's it, you're already traveling
>>
>>1115920
Thanks. I'll reach the nearest hostel then!
>>
>>1115851
AirBnB is still fine to use if you're OK with a shared apartment (whether the owner is there doesn't matter, but it officially has to be a place where the owner officially lives too, and not more than 50% is given over to a temporary guest).

Frankly it's a good law -- profiteers who may have no genuine connection to Berlin were renting out properties full time to 'guests' (i.e. tourists) who they could make a lot more money off of on short-term rentals. Few individuals were doing this, it was more companies devoted entirely to 'subletting'. Meanwhile there is a housing shortage for locals.

Look for the private rooms in hostels if you really can't afford something else.
>>
>>1116012
I stayed at these types of places before and I actually prefer it since the owners are usually nowhere to be found
>>
>>1116289
Whatever the experience for the end user (you, me, other tourists), it is a toxic business model for a location to allow. I don't really care if I meet the 'owner' either. Usually I just want to get the key, ask a few questions about the neighbourhood, and that's that. But Berlin has a housing shortage, and local people need the rooms, not stag party groups from Newcastle drawing dicks on the walls of the properties, smashing beer bottles in the staircases and urinating on the front door (something one of my AirBnB hosts said had happened to him from previous guests)

It's Similar with Uber, which is why so many taxi companies are so pissed off. Uber's business model is also toxic, though on the other hand, taxi companies are often a racket themselves...
>>
>>1116304
let the free market decide

if people want to maintain their neighborhoods/cities they have to put their money where their mouth is and not sell their properties as prices go up

That's what people in SF are doing and it's worked out well. As long as people are in it together (i.e. what a real neighborhood does) their property values will skyrocket if no one is selling to slumlords/airbnbers. Otherwise blame your neighbors for selling and moving out, not the people making an investment to make money
>>
>>1116307
>let the free market decide
oh boy, here we go...

You say let the free market decide, then expect people to refuse enormous cash outs. That's not how humans work, and you're a fool stuck in the 1980s if you think the neo-liberal wet dream is really workin' out just fine for us.

SF is getting more and more impossible to live in if you don't work for Google or some other tech giant. Properties as primarily investments rather than places to live is exactly the toxic idea that has brought us to this point. It's a gold rush, nothing more. Shrugging it off as just 'free market' actions to be blamed on speculators, while locals are also expected to just sit on their 'skyrocketing property values' is sticking your head in the sand.

I use AirBnB without qualms, but it was clearly time to act in Berlin and throttle it down. I am German, btw, and have several friends who live in Berlin and rent out on AirBnB. I've seen it from both sides. Even those friends can (mostly) grudgingly agree it was necessary.
>>
>>1116317
>SF is getting more and more impossible to live in if you don't work for Google or some other tech giant.

Exactly. It's a city filled with rich people, and guess what? It's a fucking badass city that attracts a ton of tourists that are willing to spend their entire paycheck on a couple of nights there.

If that's not fair, boo hoo, go visit or go live somewhere else. Not every place on earth has to be accessible to the bourgeoisie.
>>
File: 1463089772477.jpg (658 KB, 4368x2084) Image search: [Google]
1463089772477.jpg
658 KB, 4368x2084
what is seattle like
how about Washington state in general
>>
>>1116327
>filled with rich people
>badass city
Pick one.
Are you really this deeply unaware, or are you being intentionally ironic? You clearly do not understand what "the bourgeoisie" means.
>>
>>1116352
Rain, snooty 'fake niceness', weed and meth.
>>
I found cheap flights to orlando (£250) from the UK, but I'm not overly interested in Orlando or Florida in general. Is it worth getting cheap flights in order to spend more of the trip outside the state?

What's the base level of price to get out to georgia and beyond, and would that override the point of getting cheap flights over? It doesnt seem like it's worth it just to see florida for a few days and georga for a while
>>
>>1116704
Florida sucks. I mean, some of it's natural landscapes are kinda nice, quite nice beaches in some places. It's just the people in Florida are truly the worst. THE WORST. Don't go to Florida, for fuck's sake.

I'm surprised because Atlanta is much a bigger airport hub.

Georgia has its charms, but I'd avoid Atlanta. It's overhyped, feels like one giant suburb, nothing special, and crawling with drug addicts and true-to-the-stereotype nignogs. See Coke, CNN and the aquarium (all yawns) if you really must. Then get out. Savannah, Macon or some other small town, and/or a national park or coastal spot will do ya. You could also check out North Carolina if you fly into Atlanta.
>>
>>1116704
Forgot to add, if you are able to rent a car, you'll be set.
>>
File: what_the.png (74 KB, 213x233) Image search: [Google]
what_the.png
74 KB, 213x233
Krakow or Wroclaw? Which one? I have 3 days to spend in one or the other.
>>
File: trip.png (74 KB, 498x656) Image search: [Google]
trip.png
74 KB, 498x656
>>1115799
Hurk. I forgot I posted this, so I guess my prototype trip needs possible restructuring a little.

Since I had fourteen or so days, I was initially thinking:
3 days : Bonn/Munich
2 days : Innsbruck/Salzburg/Heidelburg

I'd kinda like to hit up the latter three (unless it turns out they're pretty shit too?) but I might skim a few days off Bonn and Munich then and spend some more time in Mainz/Koblenz, if that's your advice then?

Also, the coach trip isn't that bad, I kinda like the hustle of travel (which is why, even on longer trips I only stop for three days at most, usually), plus it's broken up by a lay over in London, a ferry trip and the night(which means sleep), so there's plenty of things to fill the time! Plus it's a good opportunity to finish another Fire & Ice book.
>>
I know this might be quite a common question, but what would probably be the best course of action for a first time backpacker? On my own, or, with a one friend? I understand the benefits of both, such as more freedom with the former, though it would still be helpful to hear your guys' opinions. Thanks /trv/.
>>
>>1117933
Apart from the cathedral Cologne is boring and Germans flinch in disgust if you mention the place.

I think I went to Bonn and it was nice, can't remember though.
>>
>>1118008
>Germans flinch in disgust if you mention the place.
That is such bullshit.
>>
>>1117997
Just depends what you prefer. I've always went solo, although met with a friend or two along the way during the first trip.

However I would have been fine without them, it's not like I ever ran into issues because of inexperience or being by myself
>>
>>1117997
With friends only if you guys really click and now how to deal with one another.
Have you ever traveled with these friends? For a longer period? How sociable are you all when you're all together? Do you tend to band together and act like "there's us and there's the world" or are you open to new people, with different world views and culture?
There's lots to take into consideration.
If you're not very sociable and want to improve yourself, maybe forcing yourself to go alone will be better. If your friend is more sociable and acts as a social lube for you, that may be even better.
Then there's the freedom thing you already know about.
>>
>>1117933
Why do you want to go to Innsbruck? It is nice, being in the mountains, but unless you plan to ski, the city itself doesn't offer much I found. If it's all new and 'European' to you, OK, but personally I'd consider skipping it.

Bonn is similar... a sorta nice quiet little nondescript city, not bad to live in. I have a couple friends who live there (they work at the Uni), and I like visiting, but I can't imagine much of interest for a foreign tourist. There's the birthplace of Beethoven and you can visit the house but -- spoiler alert -- it's not super-interesting unless you're a huge Beethoven fanboy.

>>1118008
Indeed bullshit. Cologne gets a few reactions. One is 'hurr durr homos!', even though I'd say Berlin is far and beyond the 'gay capital of Germany' (and Europe) since reunification. Another might be 'hurr durr Turks/Arabs/Salafists!', which has some truth to it, but that's NRW for ya. And the other reaction is about Carnival (wrong time of year for that, but if it were you should DEFINITELY visit, if you like getting drinking in large crowds and the possibility of sex with girls dressed up like pirates and bumblebees and shit -- clearly the rapefugees like it)
>>
Stupid question here
But what's stopping someone from walking up to the baggage conveyor and stealing someone's luggage
>>
>>1118190
Common sense.
>>
>>1118190
>But what's stopping someone from walking up to the baggage conveyor and stealing someone's luggage
You standing there watching for it the moment it appears before anyone takes ahold of the handle of that basic same-looking black bag. Nothing much more than that nowadays, sadly! In other words, its more likely someone takes the wrong bag than intentionally committing a crime. But, having a nondescript, inexpensive basic looking bag, or unique or childlike girly bag, should keep the targeting down by some dude criminal.

In the olden days, there used to be an employee tag checker that matched bags leaving the fenced off conveyor area for domestic arrivals. The only employee now is there to corral the unclaimed bags to an baggage office for holding. International bags arrivals has the person going through immigration and asked about their imports, so that's a check there where IDs are matched to bags, as well as the risk of something illegal in there tied to you. I think with enhanced security at US airports, the routine criminal might be wary of cameras, or an idling getaway car at a curb, but its all still possible. More likely a bad passenger from the same flight I'd think, or a disreputable curb employee with the cart. They say most theft within baggage employees is quite organized, it's never just one guy, but someone looking the other way, coordinating shifts and all in it together for things that go missing from opened bags. They have legit reasons to open them when they screen to pull out aerosols that TSA doesn't care about it. It happens more often than you know because the airlines don't drop in the paperwork that TSA adds.
>>
>>1118192
I see. Thanks anon
>>
>>1118197
In other words, allow no more than a quick bathroom stop on your way to the bag claim. You definitely want to be there the moment the conveyor turns on, and like myself, you stand at the beginning of the belt like all the other people mobbed there for a reason, and/or you maintain line of sight of the beginning.
>>
What are some interesting things to do in Santa Fe or just New Mexico in general?
>>
Am I dumb to bring a basically empty suitcase with me if it's free and I plan on bringing back shit from the county I'll be in?
>>
How bad is aeroflot russian?

My company fly me with them (shitclass) because they're the fastest.

Also, how much would I have to pay to upgrade to businessclass? Roughly?
>>
US citizen going to the UK for 6 months to spend time with my gf. How much of a hassle are the immigration guys gonna give me at the airport, assuming I have a flight booked to budapest 6 months down the line and I have a few thousand dollars (6-9k) in the bank? I keep hearing horror stories about people getting shut down at the border and sent home, though most of these people seem to be Indian or Pakistani.
>>
>>1118406
Depends.
Is the extra luggage charge one way less than the cost of a new suitcase?
>>
>>1118454
I get two free bags plus a carryon. 50lb/25lb limits
>>
>>1118519
Don't see a reason not to do if you're not being charged extra.
Worst case scenario, airport security will open your case just to be sure there's nothing in it.
>>
As someone organising a first trip on my own, I've come to the issue of how long my trip should actually be. Whether mere weeks or months, I'm not sure. Hell, should it be something I just leave up to chance?
>>
>>1118655
We can't answer that for you dude.
Depends on your time and money budget. Depends on how you'll deal with the traveling experience.
Depends on visa requirements.
There's no "optimal trip length for beginners, intermediates and advanced travelers".
Each trip and traveler with their own circumstances.
>>
>>1106973
I am travelling to Ireland (5 days) and Scotland (6 days)

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 model sgh-1337m (Canadian) and I was hoping to use it while travelling. I'm having a difficult time finding out if it is supported on these foreign networks..

Should I just rent a phone at the airport and buy a sim?
>>
>>1118713
Its possibly to rent phones in the UK? That sounds like a real convenient thing that I just can't imagine happening here
>>
>>1118736
Hmm I'm not really sure, was just a guess.

I've looked into it and found it's probably best to unlock my phone and pick up a sim at the airport
>>
>>1115893
street food: 1-4 bucks
fast food: standard prices
And the sit down restaurants in manhattan start at 10-15 for a meal and go till infinity basically depending on how much of a rich fag you are

restaurants that are in tourist nodes have much higher prices. For instance near wall street slices of pizza are one to two dollars more than all across the city.
>>
>>1118217
I think most people are just focussed on getting their OWN bag and getting the fuck out of the airport ASAP after X hours on a plane. It takes a special kind of scumbag to steal bags off the conveyer belt. For what? Some clothes that won't fit you or ladies' toiletries?
>>
>>1118388
Drive straight to California and enjoy yourself there.
>>
>>1118406
This is exactly what people with relatives in the third world do.
>>
>>1118713
>locked phones are still a thing in Canada
Wow, I really feel sorry for you snowniggers. It's 2016. Who still does that shit?

Phones these days are all made in China to pretty much universally-applicable standards. You can double check what frequencies your phone supports (anything between 850-2000 MHz -- which is so extremely likely to be the case, I'd bet my balls on it). So I'd say chances are between 'very likely' and '100%' that it will work in the UK. Of course, you may need to unlock it first.

I'm Eurofag, not Britfag, so not sure how it is easy to buy a SIM card as a foreigner though. It is certainly possible, but gotta catch the terrorists and all. I tend to avoid it (never been really worth it for me, personally). If travelling, I just use wifi signals where/when I can. This is hard to believe, but people have survived for thousands of years without 24/7 access to smartphones. You might too...
>>
This is the one thing I have never found out.

After much searching, though Honestly not the hardest ever. Should I bring a frying pan for a Hostel? People have mentioned Kitchens and shit there... But how do food?
>>
>>1118774
You can easily find SIM cards to buy around Europe as a foreign. They may not offer the best plans, specially compared to long term contracts, but it's not a bad idea to have a SIM card with at least some kind of data plan and minutes in case of emergencies where you don't have wifi and need to contact someone.
>>
>>1118406
>Am I dumb to bring a basically empty suitcase with me if it's free and I plan on bringing back shit from the county I'll be in?
Just cost it out. See if it's worth it to you. It's not unusual. If you worry about it looking weird, then split your belongings between the bags for the checked bags.

When you go to Miami, Dolphin mall or Dadeland mall, you'll see the tourists with giant oversized (with those size charges) wheelie bags just packing them full of stuff, fully intended to pay overweight and oversized charges both. It's a shopping trip. There's a reason to do that if you're from say, Brazil.

What I do if I intend to lightly shop is take a zippered carryon alternative folded flat (big tote or duffel), and then check my wheeled overhead carryon for the return, using the extra bag as the new carryon. If I intend to shop a ton, I'll bring the extra checked bag, lightly packed, and then move items between them where it makes sense for security to have more valuables with me in the cabin. Those S. Americans with huge bags usually wrap them in plastic in the terminal to deter theft since TSA locks are mandatory.
>>
What type of stories do you have prepared for talking to backpackers while traveling? (if you have any)
>>
>>1118787
Why do you need that?
>>
>>1118802
Curious to see what type of humor works best n stuff. I havent had a chance to go backpacking yet,
>>
What's worth seeing in Washington, DC?
>>
What's a good website/brand for car hire in the US, particularly Las Vegas. I like websites where they have all the fees/taxes shown, and definitely insurance available. Who've you used who's been good?
Coming from an Australian who's 27yo first time in US
>>
>>1118809
Tell them about the time you asked an online Chinese cartoon image board about how to talk to people I bet they'd get a kick out of that.
>>
>>1118713
willmyphonework.net
>>
>>1118811
most of it
>>
>>1118844
carrentalsavers.com

they basically fill in all the discount codes for you
>>
>>1117908
Flip a coin.
>>
File: Slab_City_Welcome.jpg (4 MB, 4752x3168) Image search: [Google]
Slab_City_Welcome.jpg
4 MB, 4752x3168
Eurofag here.

I'm planning a US roat trip in a few months. I'm wondering if stopping at Slab City might be a good idea. I'm very curious and it seems an interesting place.
I have no idea if it's a stupid idea or not, it looks like the kind of place where I'd happily hang out for a day or two.

Any input on this?
>>
I read that if you've been to Iran in the last five years, you need to buy a proper visa to visit the USA instead of the cheap ESTA

If I went to Iran with my Irish passport, then got a fresh British passport to go to the USA, would I still have to claim that I went? Or is a non-Iran stamped passport treated as "I didn't go to Iran"
>>
>>1119363
Southern California native here and desert rat.

Salvation mountain is an interesting place. The mountain itself is certainly pretty and the story behind it is amazing. As for Slab City and the surrounding area, I'm not so sure you want to spend the night there.

Slab City is a place where people go to be away from the government. For whatever reason, they don't fit into mainstream society and can't function anywhere else. This leaves you with a wide array of people, some of them very bad. Many people go missing in Slab City and never turn up...

The town closest to Slab City/Salvation Mountain is Niland. I have only been to the town itself once, and I almost got in a knife fight. Its crime rate is dangerously high; I have never felt so unsafe in my entirely life. There were people tweaking out in the stores, people trying to fight me, people following me around. Overall, it was quite scary.

So, in short, I'd highly recommend Salvation Mountain because of its story and the coolness. I would never, ever spend a night anywhere near Slab City, especially if you are a girl. If you want to visit Salvation Mountain, I suggest that you don't sacrifice a day elsewhere for it. Don't lose a day on the beach in LA for a day driving 3.5 hours one-way to the desert. Slab City is an extremely dangerous place with a wide range of people. The desert and Salvation Mountain seems to interest Europeans a lot, but they seem oblivious to the shithole that is Slab City and the surrounding communities.
>>
>>1119507
I think you've read a bunch of internet poppycock, my friend. That doesn't make sense. ESTA and 'proper visas' are payment scales, but for different purposes.

It's not illegal to have been to Iran. At worst, you get to wait in a room for a couple hours, get some more intermittent questioning by some Rambo wannabe prick, and they sniff your dirty underwear. Chances are they'll raise an eyebrow for a second and wave you through*.

*note: must be white and not a shitskin for this to apply.
>>
What are the best tropical destination options for a 183cm, 80kg, 23 years old, fit white male who speaks English relatively good (Idk if those specs of mine matter tho)

Interested in good beaches, beautiful tropical nature and good food. Gonna be a budget trip, so it has gotta be cheap.

What re my options? Was thinking of philippnes
>>
>>1119548
>philippnes
>good food
pick one.

I guess you want Thailand or Mexico.
>>
>>1119548
Costa Rica.
>>
>>1119561

How bad is Thailand for tourists? At first, I thought of going there but then as I do some research, saw comments about how they always try to get your money, scam you, how arabs make the money rain, raising the bar for other normal tourists, bad hygene of the restaurants - streets etc etc. Is it really worth it?
>>
>>1119567
If you want cheap sex there's no better place on earth. If you're smart you won't get scammed, do a little research on the common shit they try.
>>
>>1119567
Look at this way bud, any place you go that is warm, has good beaches, beautiful tropical nature, and good food AND IS A BUDGET DESTINATION is already discovered by the tourism industry. You can't then ask "how bad is it for tourists?" YOU are a tourist, right?

There are other places you could go, but you'd need more money. Tanzania is an option, but are you ready for Africa? Central America (the less crime-ridden places) are an option, although I don't think Central American food is all that spectacular. Colombia or Ecuador might fit the bill too, but they can be a little more rough around the edges.
>>
>>1119539
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question anon.
I'll just visit Salvation Mountain then!
>>
>>1119571

Not to brag but im foxy as fuck, besides I'm not a huge fan of paying for sex tho. I'd consider myself good looking and I'm also all in for picking up normal girls.

>>1119673

Well, you are right but I don't mind going to Africa to be honest (As long as they are somewhat able to communicate in English and im not the only white dude and judged - eyeballed by the unfriendly locals. Would be nice to have some other people that I can meet and bond with ). I can throw in like 2-2.5k$ for 25-40 days of trip (Flights included).
>>
>>1119543
I know that it's not illegal, my question was whether I can get an ESTA like everyone else if I went to Iran on an Irish passport, and went to the USA later on a new British passport

>Please note, the US recently introduced new legislation whereby a foreign national must apply for a visa to enter the US if they have visited Iran, Iraq, Syria or Sudan in the 5 years prior.
>>
>>1119727
Sure, as long as they don't find out. Better hope the Irish government isn't sharing that data with the CIA.

You're otherwise supposed to apply (pay) for a visa and have an interview at the nearest consulate/embassy. As the goal is to filter shitskin terrorists or anyone who's made public jokes about Homeland Security, you'd probably be accepted. They'd almost certainly be pissed and blacklist you if they discovered you were lying, and if at the border, they'd probably refuse entry. So you'd be taking the chance. It's the same way terrorists try to skirt the system.

Physically going to Iran is counted as going to Iran, regardless of which passport you used to do it.
>>
Do I need bear resistant food containers on a road trip from Chicago to Alaska and back?

I'm worried specifically about northern BC, Yukon, and eastern Alaska. I'll be staying at campsites throughout the trip, staying close to the road. I've asked around a few times and people have told me if I'm staying near the highway I shouldn't need them if I'm smart about it. Just wondering if I should spend the $110 on two of them.
>>
>>1119863
you should try the 'cago style 'za
>>
>>1119871
I have a side job delivering pizza here too haha, I'm always stocked with pizza
>>
>>1119863
who cares if the bears get at your food? It's your slow soft delicious body you should worry about.
>>
>>1119849
I guess I'll have to apply. Are there any other countries with polities like this about Iran? I know about Israel, of course

I'd prefer to keep the visa stuff as simple as possible without having to review everything case by case when I'm going to a country
>>
>>1119871
It's literal shit, though.
>>
>>1110938

Good luck, I work for a decent sized electrical utility and all I know about that stuff is voltage goes down, amps go up.
>>
>>1118811
SMITHSONIAN SON
>>
>>1119910
Depends on where you go here in Chicago.

A lot of chains like Connie's and Giordano's have changed their recipes over the years, IMO for the worse.
>>
>>1119905
I don't think so, but I'm not American so not sure. It's only a recent knee-jerk reaction to the Paris shootings by more ignorant lawmakers in America. What did Iran have to do with it? Nothing. Sure Iran likes to shit disturb in its own neighbourhood, but every country does.
>>
What are some cool places in Norway to check out. I've gathered from here that Oslo isn't worth spending a lot of time in anyway but what are some cool scenic places that just have to be seen
On that topic as well, how hard would trolltunga be to hike, and can you camp there
>>
>>1119989
to hike too*
>>
How ethical is it to visit North Korea?
>>
What are some realitively inexpensive satellite phones that are pay-as-you-go or you buy minutes
Is there anything good under $100?

Also what are some good backpacks for a beginner hiker?
>>
>>1120140
Just as ethical as places like China or Israel or whatever.
>>
>>1120140
>How ethical is it to visit North Korea?
On par with Cuba visits, only with significantly more risk and less split on funding at least some locals. Your tourist visa, landing fees, restricted tours, are all directly to the administration of a corrupt dictator and his highest placed friends. Rewarding badness.

>>1120397
>Just as ethical as places like China or Israel or whatever.
Not really.
>>
>>1119929
Maybe that's why. I think Giordano might be where I went last summer. Do they have a place a couple of blocks away from the Hilton? The tomatoes tasted like they were out of a can.
>>
Any recommendations for portable battery banks?
>>
File: 51pW5-p2NnL.jpg (57 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51pW5-p2NnL.jpg
57 KB, 500x500
>>1120662
I got an anker, I believe it's this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Compact-20000mAh-Portable-Anker-PowerCore/dp/B00VJSGT2A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1464532456&sr=1-1&keywords=anker

£23 and 20,000 mah so pretty big, kinda heavy, but I wanted to be safe for my first big trip. It held at least five full charges for my Moto G. Only issue was that it didn't charge my iPod Classic. might be overkill for many people, though
>>
If I wanted to fly with a small amount of things that aren't allowed as carry on, can I put them into a briefcase or something and check that bag?
What kind of bag should I look for for that sort of purpose?
>>
>>1118407
>aeroflot
my father used it a couple of times, told me it's shit, never to use it again, nowadays when i try to book a flight that involves aeroflot my dad would tell me pay more and use a better airline
>business class
roughly three times the economy price
>>
>>1120730
As far as I know you can check any sized bag. One time they told me overhead space was taken up so we had to check our remaining carry ons and they checked my pretty much empty backpack
>>
I'm curious about travelling alone. The few friends I have either can't go because of work, or can't afford to go.

What would I be able to expect? Would it be lonely for an introvert? Have any experience with finding travel partners online?

I just don't want to keep sitting here because I'm scared I'd be lonely/have no fun...
>>
File: trv.jpg (59 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
trv.jpg
59 KB, 800x534
>>1120750
I prefer it. I can't deal with my friends for longer periods of time

I do get pretty lonely sometimes but I think it's worth it. I love the freedom and the independence. I just got back from Ireland > Japan via Budapest and Istanbul

interpals and similar sites can help if you want to arrange something, a lot of people are happy to show a traveller around and improve their own english. I've met a few people in the hostel dorm who I got on with, and spent a day or night with. I definitely talk to more new people than I would if I were in a group. People are also more willing to approach you if you're by yourself instead of with friends. Sometimes I meet people, sometimes I'm content to be alone for a week

Sometimes I feel like I'm killing time, just trying to fill the days and the depression comes back. That's partly due to not doing my research, museums etc I can go to, and partly just being miserable and feeling sorry for myself

In any case, you have nothing to lose, you can decide how long you want to try it for. The main thing is whether you're content to be by yourself for a while
>>
>>1120751
i hope i build up the courage to try this summer.
Thanks anon
>>
>>1120750
I find the number of /trv/ posters nervous about traveling alone to be astonishing. The only way to tell whether you would be lonely/have no fun is to try it. Maybe a short trip at first. It may help to make a list of things to see and do at your destination, so that you are not depending on a travel companion to entertain you. Another thing you can do is to go to places with the possibility of shared day tours, if you get lonely. As long as somebody else on the tour has a common language with you, they re usually happy to chat.
Finally, people on /trv/ seem to have good experiences meeting people at hostels.
>>
>>1120752
please do, I felt the same way last summer. I wasn't doing anything and I had some money to . I wandered around Europe for three weeks, and on day one I realised there was nothing to be worried about
>>
>>1120748
so I could have something like pic related checked before I go into the security line?
>>
File: 93124525.jpg (39 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
93124525.jpg
39 KB, 500x500
>>1120761
let's try that again
>>
File: 609.jpg (3 MB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
609.jpg
3 MB, 4288x2848
>>1120762
I mean, I don't see why not. I've seen people pick up bags that small from baggage claim before. If anything you could probably just call up the airline and ask, and see if they'd still charge you to check it.
>>
>>1118407
I flew aeroflot twice, had no issues at all except for poor control of the boarding line. Really isn't that bad.
>>
I hear swingers parties are big in Spain. Anyone been to one as a tourist? I'm in Madrid right now.
>>
>>1120773
What was the route?

I think routes that don't fly IN Russia, i.e. in western Europe, are probably OK. I flew Aeroflot from Istanbul to Moscow, and Christ I'll never do that again. Over Russian airspace they aren't even remotely trying to impress anyone.

As you say, boarding line procedures were a complete shit show, staff seem disinterested and non-chalant. Arrivals in Moscow were also chaos partly due to uncivilized Slav behaviour... but the plane itself was terrible, too. Sardine can seating arrangement, really quite tight, ashtrays in the arm rests (just to show how old the plane was), no fancy modern screen in the seats, not even an in-flight movie (maybe because it was an overnight flight). All the while sitting next to a fat dour Russian middle-aged ham. I recall the meal being shittier than usual for an airplane.

I'm sure there are many worse airlines, but Aeroflot is still sub-standard. Certainly below all the Oil Sheik airlines, major Asian flag carriers, or the Western European McAirlines. Even American/Canadian carriers, who are bad in their own different way, are probably better.
>>
>>1120799
JFK to Moscow, Moscow to Samara and back. Food was typical airline food and the seats were just like any trans-atlantic flight.

The worst was boarding, in which a second line began to cut in front, but like you said, I'd expect nothing less in Moscow.
>>
>>1120762
Yes you can.
I've already checked in a 11x9x4 inches (about that, actually) box without a problem.
>>
>>1120805
alright cool. was hoping for at least one person to have some experience with that sort of thing. not a common problem, it would seem
>>
>>1120676
Thank you for that
>>
General advices on how to survive in 40C humid hell?
>>
>>1107219
Avoid Bourbon Street.

>>1111004
No one cares about grades, just that you have a degree.

>>1120750
>What would I be able to expect? Would it be lonely for an introvert?
Yes and no. I'm introverted, but even then there are times when I travel alone I wish I had someone to share the experience with.
>>
Are Victorinox Swisscards allowed on EU planes?
Don't really care about TSA policy, the EU page says blades under 6cm are fine but I would like to know for sure.
>>
File: Zimbabwe_Outline.svg.png (184 KB, 2000x1828) Image search: [Google]
Zimbabwe_Outline.svg.png
184 KB, 2000x1828
How hard is it for a white person to get into this country?
>>
>>1121639
>traveling with a Swiss Army knife
>>
So I didn't really know where to post this so I'm asking here :

My company wants me to relocate from gainesville, FL to Redmond, WA for work. I've been given very short notice, they want me up there and working within 2-3 weeks.

Now I'm mostly concerned about costs up there, from what I've read, almost everything is more expensive. If someone who lives in, or has lived in the Redmond/Seattle area could give me some advice on relatively affordable places to stay, as well as interesting (yet cheap) things to go see and do in my free time while I'm up there it would be greatly appreciated.

Also I just want to know what it's like living up there, I've only traveled up and down the east coast and overseas before, never made it out to the northwest. I've also lived in FL my entire life so I imagine it will be a bit of a shock to live there.
>>
>>1118895
first post here, i laughed
>>
File: lb404492_x_2.jpg (20 KB, 480x321) Image search: [Google]
lb404492_x_2.jpg
20 KB, 480x321
Can I take tubes of oil paint on a plane in my checked luggage?
>>
>>1121929
rain
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.