[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Summer trip to Paris
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Hello everyone!

My girlfriend and I want to visit Paris for a week this summer. Do you have any tips or ideas about where we should go (besides the meme locations like Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame etc.)?

Anything we should avoid?
Know of any decent places that we could grab a snack from without being ripped off?
>>
>>1106866
>Anything we should avoid?
going inside anything in Pigalle.
>>
>>1106866
You'll always be ripped off in Paris, shit is like London.
>>
>>1106866
Walk a good bit from the touristy streets to avoid being ripped off
>>
Parc des Buttes Chaumont - they have an abandoned railway there it's pretty cool
>>
>>1106866
>Know of any decent places that we could grab a snack from without being ripped off?
Grocery stores are very affordable. Just make sure you go to a somewhat larger chain supermarket (lol, fuck you independent retailers), as the little ones in the centre pretty much make their money ripping off clueless tourists. I saw stupid people pakis 2 euros for small bottles of water, when they could have got 1l for 70 cents from a grocery store across the street.

Apart from accommodations and tourist attraction entry tickets, Paris is not especially expensive. Normal for Europe.

Versailles is nice, and you can walk around the gardens. Bring a picnic.
>>
>>1107102
I have bought the 1 euro bottles of water off those guys because it was convenient.
>>
>>1106866
Sainte-Chapelle
Les Invalides
the Museum d'Histoire Naturelle is pretty cool too
And the Louvre, a "meme destination" maybe but totally worth it
Good luck tho because indoor activities like this during summer are crowded as fuck, it's best during winter if you don't want to drown in Asians
Also the Catacombs
>>
>>1106866
You should go to the opera garnier.
If you're a week, go to Sainte-Anne Street by the way, it's really close and you can eat God tier Japanese food (non sushi) Aki is my favorite place to eat and their okonomiyaki are delicious, there's also a karaoke (jap) in the street but you need to be able to read Japanese to spot it.

Of course the usual thing, don't buy things from street vendors.
You can find people who'll draw your picture in some Park it can be a nice thing to do with your gf
>>
>>1106866
If you want to take a break from Paris, you could take the train(around 20min) to go to Chantilly and see the castle, it has the biggest painting collection in France.

The duc d'aumale asked for the paintings to stay in the exact same disposition before his death so the paintings didn't move since the XIXth century.
It will also be the occasion to see something different
>>
>>1106866
the first Sunday of every month is free entrance for every museam. So prepare to do something else on that day to avoid the long queue.
>>
>>1108253
Second for the catacombs
>>
>>1106866
Parisian here, prepare to be ripped off especially if go on the touristic areas, during summer there are only tourists in Paris. If you're not afraid of cycling in a city (which is desert in this period) then try velib it's very convenient and cheap.

Some tips about prices : never pay more than 5€ for a normal pint of beer (10€ in a club), never go near bastilles for bars. A typical parisian thing during summer is taking your alcohol and snacks on the docks of the Ile de la cité near Pont neuf or the Pont alexandre III which is more bourgeois.

funny thing during this period is that all the touristic areas are crowded and Paris is empty
>>
>>1106866
Do you like museums?

As for food, most cafés are fucking horrible. Just go to a good local bakery.
>>
as well, here are some option for you:
- have a picnic in the evening at Canal Saint Martin (go down at station Jean Jaurès on line 2). Of course there are plenty of people, international students, but this is a parisian stuff to do. You just need to go to a small supermarket and buy bread, saucisson, ham, butter, chees and rosé.
- or have the same picnic on the quai de Seine
If you can speak French and look for some places to go out, eat etc… You can find cool ideas on this website : http://www.timeout.fr/paris/le-blog/le-ground-control-devient-grand-train-a-la-fin-du-mois-042616
You have an English version as well but I think there are less ideas: http://www.timeout.com/paris/en/things-to-do
>>
>>1109041
>- have a picnic in the evening at Canal Saint Martin (go down at station Jean Jaurès on line 2). Of course there are plenty of people, international students, but this is a parisian stuff to do. You just need to go to a small supermarket and buy bread, saucisson, ham, butter, chees and rosé.

If you hate "bobos" (almost the equivalent of hipsters), that's something you'd like to avoid. :^)
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.