[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I switch to another language?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2
File: cloud room.jpg (45 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
cloud room.jpg
45 KB, 400x300
I am from Hong Kong. I've been learning Spanish for half a year now. I've been learning at a much faster pace that I expected, but now I am thinking about switching to another language.

The story is this. I've always wanted to learn a new language but I didn't have the opportunity to do so during secondary school. Back then, I would have probably picked French, German, or Japanese. During high school, I met an online friend who happens to be Spanish and we ended up talking every day. At uni, I had the opportunity to pick whatever I want as a new language for fun and the beginner courses here have a reputation for being easy to get good grades. I picked Spanish as I simply have someone to practice with and I think having a language buddy will definitely help me to become fluent in a language.

I ended up enjoying studying the Spanish language very much and I made surprisingly fast progress by myself. I love the way Spanish sounds. However, I do realise that I did initially pick a language because "I have some online friend who speaks that language". I don't have a crush on him (I am a girl btw), yet I think this is kind of a ridiculous reason to pick a language to learn and will lead to assumptions from other people and I do not want that. The truth is I wasn't particularly interested in Spanish/Latin American culture (I tend to stereotype type it as weedland). My parents do not allow me to travel there as they think that it is dangerous and very far away.

I self-learned a bit of French, yet I didn't like French as much as I do not like the way it sounds. I think switching to another language may be a good idea as I don't want my online friend to think that I have feelings for him while I don't. However, I do realise that if I learn French, German, or Japanese, I will not have a language buddy and finding a language buddy who you can talk to all the time is not that easy.

Whatever language I pick is unlikely to affect my career prospects.
>>
>>1105909
You speak English, and most likely Cantonese + other dialects from China.
You are set for life.
Pick a language you have genuine interest in, don't make it a chore.
>>
>>1105927
>You are set for life
This, so I don't know what to pick. And I don't know, I sometimes feel like the efforts spent learning a new language are wasted.
I don't which foreign language is my favourite.
>>
>>1105932
>I don't which foreign language is my favourite.

We don't either.
>>
>>1105933
I get your point, but it is because of this, I don't know what language to pick.
>>
Pick Swedish if you're interested in the Nordic countries. I did this and it turned out great.

If you know Swedish you will be able to understand and speak to Norwegian, Danish and Icelandic. I say Swedish because that's the language that the other language speakers find easiest to understand and it's probably the most beautiful of them, with Norwegian second.
>>
Just stick with spanish. Just tell people the reason you picked it is the way it sounds and that it's spoken in a lot of countries. No one would question that and it's at least half true.
>>
>>1105942
I'm not. My Spanish online friend loves Nordic countries though.
Are you an expat in Sweden or what?
>>
>>1105945
Well this is true. A friend of mine started her major in French and she said French is hard as it is not phonetic. I never realised that French is so hard.
>>
>>1105945
>Just stick with spanish.
This seems like the most logical path, OP.
>>
>>1105948
Not OP, but what makes you think that? If he wants to switch, then switch.
>>
>>1105949
Did you read the reason for switching? Probably not, as you said "he". With that in mind I think it's absolutely the best decision to stick with Spanish. Especially when it sounds like OP likes the language.
>>
>>1105952
Oh ok I relooked at it now. Well OP said that she wasn't really interested in Hispanic culture so she should just switch to German or Japanese or something if she likes those cultures more.
>>
>>1105956
Spanish and Latin American cultures differs very much. It's not really fair to group them.
>>
>>1105958
She said she wasn't interested in both?
And Spain is just one small country in Europe.
>>
>>1105909

Reasons change over time, do you still enjoy learning spanish? if yes then I sugest to stick with spanish.
>>
>be girl
>get replies on inane threads

>>1105960
The sole reason I'm replying for the second time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_language#/media/File:Countries_with_Spanish_as_an_official_language.svg

Philistine.
>>
>>1105937
learn a dying language if you're gonna be that much of a bitch about it
https://www.pacsafe.com/blog/6-of-the-rarest-languages-still-spoken-today/
>>
>>1105967
OP here. Yes
>>
>Not wanting to be fluent in the second most spoken language in the world

Joder chinita, ¿pero que te pasa?
>>
>>1105980
Is it really that inane? I mean, Spanish is not widely spoken in Asia.
>>1106117
But Spanish is not widely spoken in Asia.
>>
I hate people who need other people to make decisions for them, you have no fucking backbone. I remember you made this thread last month, you could already be learning a new language by now. Do you even want to learn another language? If you don't feel like learning Spanish, fuck it. Where are you most interested in visiting?
>>
>>1106170
I am learning a bit of French these days.
>Where are you most interested in visiting?
My parents do not allow me to travel to Latin America. Europe is ok for them
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 630x196) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 630x196
Can anyone who knows Cantonese translate this?
>>
>>1106189
A lot has happened these days. I want to find a bunch of people to complain to.
>>
German will only be useful if you want to make a living in DACH. Otherwise don't even bother grammar is a bitch. Speaking from xp
>>
>>1106236
Well the Dach countries are beautiful and I had a great time when travelling there. I doubt I will have the opportunity to live there though
>>
>>1106171
How fucking old are you? Stupid chinks, 'mummy and daddy won't let me!'. Shamefur dispray. If you're not underaged, you're old enough to decide what you want to do. Fuck's sake, live a little.
>>
>>1106260
I dont have enough money to finance my travels. Flight tickets to Latin America are so expensive.
>>
>>1106209
Thanks
>>
>>1106264
Get a job.
>>
>>1106302
I am at uni. I did have a job, but no way am I going to spend that on a flight ticket to Latin America
>>
>>1106321
This still has nothing to do with why you can't decide on life choices for yourself without mummy and daddy deciding.

It's a vacation, not pouring acid inside your vagina.
>>
>>1106326
>This still has nothing to do with why you can't decide on life choices for yourself without mummy and daddy deciding
I mean, I depend on them for my travel finances. If they say no and don't give me the cash for travelling, I cant afford a vacation to Latin America
>>
We should really stop feeding this female's attention crave.

>>1106160
>Is it really that inane? I mean, Spanish is not widely spoken in Asia.

Yes, it is. A lot of languages aren't widely spoken in Asia. Like, literally. Every European language besides English (and even decent English) isn't widely spoken in Asia. The official languages of the EU are 24 and all of them aren't widely spoken. Here's a list:

Bulgarian,French,Maltese,Croatian,German,Polish,Czech,Greek,Portuguese,Danish,Hungarian,Romanian,Dutch,Irish,Slovak,English,Italian,Slovenian,Estonian,Latvian,Spanish,Finnish,Lithuanian,Swedish

>>1106170
>I hate people who need other people to make decisions for them,
Don't we all.

>>1106236
>Hey I'm an international company that does something. We do business with DACH but are not based there.
>Applicants with German are preferred

Check m8, m80.
>>
>>1106340
The problem os that Japanese is not widely spoken in Hong Kong too
>>
>>1106358
>The problem os that Japanese is not widely spoken in Hong Kong too

>>>1106340
>A lot of languages aren't widely spoken in Asia.
>>
>>1105909
OP, didn't you post this thread a month ago or so?
>>
>>1106367
And your point is?
>>1106370
I did
>>
>>1106374
My point is that you don't have a point. You, for some apparent reason, mentioned that X language isn't widely spoken, thus implying you are rationalizing your choice by language rarity in Asia, and here is me telling you how stupid that is and you should study a language you want. If you don't know - we don't know. Stop posting.
>>
>>1106330
But you aren't gonna be a University student for all your life, seriously. Maybe you can't go to Latin America right now, but when you'll be a little older and, incidentally, better at Spanish, you won't need their permission any more.

I don't see what's so complicated about the whole thing; just learn any language you like and you'll see what kind of opportunities it opens or not. No need to overthink it too much or you'll end up learning nothing at all until you find the "perfect idea" that doesn't exist.
>>
>>1105942

You will definitely not understand Icelandic if you speak Norwegian, Swedish or Danish
>>
>>1106420
Swefag here. You might be understood but you'll have a hard time understanding a Danish person as well. When I go to Denmark I speak English.
>>
OP are your parents okay with you learning another language? Maybe its too dangerous.
>>
>>1106413
Well this is true
>>
>>1106406
I don't get what you are trying to say
>>
>>1106621
Then learn English. You obviously don't speak it.
>>
>>1106171
Spanish helps in the USA as well
>>
>>1106723
Not OP, but pretty much all the Mexicans in the states can communicate in English
>>
>>1106236
And French is only useful if you want to make a living in France or Belgium or god forbid Africa, whats the point in saying that. Most languages aside from English are very limited.

Honestly though as Brit something like French or German is useful for working from the UK because of the amount of trade between us and them.

German is actually useful in places around the DACH countries because its a good language to learn for their econs.
>>
>>1105947
The main difficulty with French is listening desu, the language strange pronunciations coming from English and its very difficult to comprehend because of how it flows. Also the language on the ground is even more so like this.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.