[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Expat General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
I always told myself that I wouldn't become a wagecuck after I graduate and live in America for the rest of my life. But now I'm starting to fear that it may become a reality. I always wanted to live in Berlin. People always told me to make these kinds of transitions soon after you graduate, or else it will be too late. Maybe I can work for a few years, master German and then move?

Any expats on here? Gib advice, pls
>>
File: kantoor5.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
kantoor5.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>1105562
I lived and worked in Holland, London (5 years) Germany and Malta. Ask me anything
>>
File: restaurant.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
restaurant.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>1105562
also now as a foreigner in the current political climate it's pretty difficult to get a work permit when you are born outside the EU.

you can't just go to Germany and look/apply for a job there.
>>
I would like to live in Thailand for a while.

Any expat or former in Thailand?
>>
>>1105562
I can't help you out in regards to the process but I can give you suggestions as to your decision making. If you plan on leaving this for a few years it will not happen. Unless you specifically set a date like April 21, 2018 for example as the date you leave for Berlin and adjust your whole life towards that decision, it's likely that in 2 years you'll be into a job here or have something else keeping you behind.

I know this because I made the same decisions before. I was supposed to move away 3 years ago. Then I moved it by 1 more year to make a bit more money, then I moved it by 1 more year because the currency was low and I met someone I enjoyed spending time with, and now I'm here today and I finally bought my tickets out this year so I know there's no going back.

If I were you and seriously wanted to make this my reality I'd focus on it fully, start selling your shit, sign up for German courses, maybe even buy a plane ticket. If this is just a "dream" for now you need to consider what you want to do in your life. It will be tougher as you age if you plan to get married and have kids (which usually require a stable income and home).
>>
>>1106011
6.5 years here, currently working in the US, will head back.
>>
>>1106147
Recommend that country to live or it's just overrated? Would like to live there.

Btw, why did you move to Thailand?
>>
>>1106001
Where did you live in Deutschland? What did you do there? I wonder the kind of employment an American can get there.
>>
>>1106152
I did a semester abroad in 05, did the ESL thing and ended up getting a teaching degree in the US then returned to teach at an international school. I personally love Thailand and plan on moving back in a few years if it doesn't go to shit under this government. You are going to have to really plan things out if you want to live there for good. Retirement and healthcare in your old age will be on you. If you just want to work for a few years you will want to be making a minimum of 40,000b a month. I would never tell anyone who hasn't been there for a month or more to make the jump though, many people come and pack up and leave due to not fitting in or adjusting.
>>
>>1105562
This is what happens when you grow up, OP. We all had these dreams when we were little, be it being an astronaut, being the next megastar, or living in our favorite country and then at some point you realize that it is not going to happen.

Why would a company hire a foreigner? Sometimes you are sent abroad by the local branch of your company or organisation, but these opportunities are rare as fuck. At some point, you realize that you cannot just move to another country you like as you will probably be jobless there. This is especially the case for the EU - why hire an American when they can easily hire a Brit to teacg English?

Even if you do move abroad, you rralise that it is not a utopia there. You will get bored of life there at some point of feel homesick. You will also never be truly a member of the local community. You will always be that foreigner, and depending on where you go, you will be that foreigner who cannot communicate in the local language or has a different skin colour.
>>
>>1105562
Why do you want to expatriate?

I've not a big time here in my country and so I thought that changing could be a great point of start for a new life
but I wouldn't want it to be just an illusion.
>>
>>1106294
Sounds like someone who's never lived abroad. Countless people move abroad and live successfully. And not being able to communicate? You sound defeatist as hell, it takes a few months to get enough language under your belt when you're immersed to communicate. Give it a year or two and you can say most things.
>>
>>1106328
More than 95% of expats here do not speak the local language.
I am saying the truth here. It's similar to those Mexicans moeing laws in the states. No American company prefer hiring a foreigner.
>>
>>1106319
b*mp for my question
>>
>>1106379
This. I'm an American expat in a field that sends people abroad all the time. Americans are the fucking worst at integrating or learning the local language.
>>
>>1108118
I'd say this is a problem with the anglophone world in general. There are obviously exceptions, but anglos are incredibly lazy about learning other languages. I met a British linguist in Paris the other day, and the guy's been living here doing research on bilingualism for two years and he doesn't know any French. You can't make this shit up.
>>
>>1106294
wew

you need to chill

living abroad is not that hard, you just sound whiny
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.