[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WOULD YOU ROADTRIP ON THIS INSANE PROPOSED SUPERHIGHWAY FROM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: MTM3OTE5NTgxNTE4ODMzNTE2.png (50 KB, 320x179) Image search: [Google]
MTM3OTE5NTgxNTE4ODMzNTE2.png
50 KB, 320x179
WOULD YOU ROADTRIP ON THIS INSANE PROPOSED SUPERHIGHWAY FROM LONDON TO NEW YORK?

http://www.maxim.com/maxim-man/russia-proposes-a-superhighway-from-london-to-new-york-so-brace-yourself-for-the-ultimate-road-trip-2016-04
>>
IIRC this proposal has been making the rounds for decades. So: yes, but it's never going to happen.
>>
>>1103028
>The highway would then cross the Bering Strait to Alaska's Seward Peninsula, connecting to the tiny town of Nome. The plan doesn’t offer any details on how drivers will travel 55 miles across the ocean. Unfortunately, there is also no road connecting Nome any major expressway, so you might be better off using a dog sled.
you'd have to drill and fill concrete supports fucking deep to make it work. it'd cost trillions. never gonna happen
>>
no.

but it doesn't matter, it's never going to happen. it wouldn't get enough use to make the cost worth it (though the "trillions of dollars" quoted in the article is a joke-interstates average $20m per mile, and this would be smaller, but through rougher terrain, plus some of it's presumable already constructed, so $20-40b seems more accurate, but still too expensive).

bering straight engineering is a bigger problem than cost, though-50 miles of storm-blasted, ice-coated, earthquake-rocked ocean. how do you bridge that? and now that i think about it, that'll put a helluva spike in the pricetag-probably $100-150b just for that stretch. ferries are not a year-round solution. and then another bridge over the english channel?
>>
>Giving Russia a speedway to one of the most military filled states in the US

ok
>>
>>1103024
Why would anyone do this when flying would be much cheaper and faster?
>>
File: you're kidding, right.jpg (39 KB, 552x739) Image search: [Google]
you're kidding, right.jpg
39 KB, 552x739
>>1103107
>ground based assault over a 50-mile bridge

you're not real good at military tactics, are you?
>>
>>1103112
commerce?
>>
>>1103024
>implying you can go to alaska from russia
>bering strait was 15000 years ago
>being this dumb
>>
There could be a ferry fro the Bering straight part. Why does it have to be a road?
>>
yeah, but i'd only hitchhike my way across, pussies
>>
How easy are the women on this super highway? 6ft9 blonde hair, blue eyes btw
>>
File: Fortification_of_Huningue.jpg (4 MB, 1988x2954) Image search: [Google]
Fortification_of_Huningue.jpg
4 MB, 1988x2954
>>1103114
Establishing air superiority and having the navy to back them, RU send the avantguarde to establish a bridgehead that leads to a lodgement, the bridge will be a super highway for reinforcements and main army and it's basically over for Alaska. This is why bridges and railways are the first to go when defenders retreat and military sappers start their work. That's military tactics 101, friendo.
>>
>>1104246
fucking manlet
>>
>>1103331
>flying would be much cheaper and faster
>>
>>1103024
Guarantee the vast bulk of that road would be really fucking boring, why bother other than to say you did it.
>>
>>1104246
fucking degenerate because of all sex tourists like you us serious travellers get bad rep. just stay in your own country and fuck hookers there and get aids
>>
>>1104457
Asking about sex =/= sex tourist. And where is this bad rep "serious travelers" have?
>>
File: meh.jpg (5 KB, 272x185) Image search: [Google]
meh.jpg
5 KB, 272x185
>>1104261
>super highway for reinforcements and main army

and all it would take would be two surface-to-surface missiles getting through (one to each end of the bridge) and the whole damn convoy is stranded, no where to go forward or backward. then it's nothing more than target practice. friendo.
>>
I wouldn't want this highway to ever be built. It would destroy the wilderness of Alaska and Russia's far east. Imagine gas stations and fast food restaurants popping up to service the hordes of ignorant tourists whizzing by. Globalization has already destroyed much of the world. We don't need to add Alaska to the list.
>>
>>1104261
>>1105732
not to mention, given our history, both countries would probably have their end secretly set up for remote detonation

short, defensible bridge=tactically crucial
55 mile bridge=tactically irrelevant
>>
>>1103024
If it actually happens then yeah why not
>>
>>1103024
>10 days of travel
>most of it has no pit stops, gas stations, infrastructure to speak of

No, I wouldn't.
>>
I wish it would happen. I'd drive the shit out of it.
Even though it would take months in my car because of the low cruising speed.

The trucking industry will love it. Put a couple of tolls in place and it will pay for itself in 10 years, even if it costs 30bn to complete.
>>
>>1105880
This
>>
File: 0.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>1105880
>>1107266
you guys are retarded.

no way it would pass shipping as an economical way to move goods from north america to eurasia.

and even if you get $100 per car (unreasonable), at $30b (low estimate) you'd need 300,000,000 trips to pay it off, which no way you'd get that in any sort of reasonable timeframe. people would drive it only as a gimmick or if somehow they absolutely had to. otherwise everyone would still fly.
>>
I'd drive it from London to Moscow and then from Nome to New York, and this is at most. Unless there's something I'm really missing in Yekaterinburg I wouldn't go through all the Russia in between.
>>
>>1107275
How would the price and time be compared to sea travel for freight shipping? Would it decrease current over the road freight costs?
>>
File: chart.png (12 KB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
chart.png
12 KB, 500x200
>>1107314
most recent i could find. from 2002, but gives an idea.
>>
>>1107320
So cheaper than air. And could be more efficient /quicker than sea for some distances, making it a better value.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.