[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
San Francisco
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: sanfrancisco.jpg (20 KB, 350x235) Image search: [Google]
sanfrancisco.jpg
20 KB, 350x235
Anybody care to red pill me on San Francisco?
Whats to do there besides look at the Golden Gate bridge and Alcatraz?

I hear its got some amazing waterfront too?
>>
File: 471999666.jpg (256 KB, 594x396) Image search: [Google]
471999666.jpg
256 KB, 594x396
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPS9bEEEEs0

This is the edgiest guide to SF I've ever seen, it's hilarious and does actually look informative.

it was a while I've seen it, but you should check out the wave organ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_Organ

Then there's the cable cars meme, Lombard street meme

As far as niche interest go, what you're into may shape the city differently. I'm a fan of pic-related and the whole bay area scene, so it'd be interesting for me to visit the places.
>>
>>1090981
look up wild SF walking tours.
>>
just walk around the city is breath taking. Visiting china town there is quite an experience.
>>
As far as ghost tours go, SF Chinatown is supposed to have pretty good ones. Even if you think believing in ghosts is silly, you will still enjoy it if you like history. I like ghost tours because they trick idiots into learning history when they would dismiss it otherwise.
>>
go to golden gate park on 4/20 for 420
>>
Best place to stay? Amtraking around the country at the moment. Will be in San Fran in about a week.
>>
>>1091637
>Best place to stay? Amtraking around the country at the moment. Will be in San Fran in about a week

Depends on more than a few factors. I don't know the hostel scene well, but have friends who have worked at, and very much enjoyed, Green Tortoise. It's in North Beach, on a block that is otherwise a little heavily skewed towards strip clubs, but the area has a lot of history and views and non-stripper nightlife. It's also adjacent to Chinatown, which while 70% tourist tat, is absolutely worth a walk around. That part of town is basically downtown, so it's also well-served by public transit.

If a hostel you're considering says it is in Union Square (SF's big brand-name, medium-to-high-end retail hub, more or less--the heart of the small part of town that is skyscrapers), it is more likely in the adjacent Tenderloin district, which is one of SF's most famous bad neighborhoods, and the only one a tourist might see (the others, which are all more dangerous, are farther from the center). You will often be told not to go there--lots of homeless, lots of drugs and dealers, lots of low-end, really sad prostitution--but in my extensive experience it's more depressing than dangerous. The hood is also an increasingly popular bar and restaurant destination, so tens of thousands of people with money go there at night and get out alive. But you will want to be careful.

If you're looking for a hotel, there are the usual big high-rise chains downtown, and more than a few smaller/boutique options like Kimpton group places, but I would advocate looking for a place in a neighborhood. SF is very much a city of neighborhoods, each with their own local offerings and culture. So a B&B or small hotel like the Hayes Valley Inn (on...I think it's Octavia, in the small, trendy Hayes Valley area, just outside the Civic Center), or the Metro Hotel (on Haight and Divisadero, in between the Haight-Ashbury and Lower Haight neighborhoods), etc. can give you a better look at local life.
>>
>>1091572
Or Haight Street on any Tuedsay morning, or any of the city's 600 dispensaries....
>>
Just walk around, get lost. Try to find some really excellent places for food and coffee, tartine bakery comes to mind.

Never go to fishermans wharf, its a fucking shithole
>>
File: 29-musee-mecanique-02.jpg (289 KB, 768x370) Image search: [Google]
29-musee-mecanique-02.jpg
289 KB, 768x370
>>1091841
It's worth it for Musee Mechanique if you want to check out a ton of vintage arcade games ranging from the 1900s to 1990s. Boudins in legit if you want some sourdough and In and Out if you haven't been already. Otherwise yeah not much to do. Things that are legit

>Asian Art Museum
>Cable Car Museum
>Chinatown
>Chinatown walking food tour
>Walking/Biking GG Bridge weather depending.
>Haight Ashbury
>Beach Blanket Babylon
>Walking around GG park Dolores Park, or Presidio on the weekend
>Urban Putt but better with friends
>Any part of the northeast corner of the city really
>>
File: 1439832857955.jpg (41 KB, 600x615) Image search: [Google]
1439832857955.jpg
41 KB, 600x615
>>1091518
It's no Oakland Chinatown
>Oakland Chiantown is real China

>worthwhile places to go
>japantown, golden gate park, the haight, Civic Center

>places to avoid
>tenderloin unless hard drugs
>castro unless hideously gay

Go see a show, I'm sure someone worth seeing will be playing

>>1091913
>northeast corner
a little touristy, but good.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.