[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm planning to go on a 1 month trip in Australia. Any tips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Australia_L2_MISC883.jpg (75 KB, 778x463) Image search: [Google]
Australia_L2_MISC883.jpg
75 KB, 778x463
I'm planning to go on a 1 month trip in Australia. Any tips or must-see? How's this country?
>>
Been to Australia, but only New South Wales.

Sydney's pretty fun, would love to live there someday. There's no shortage of things to do and/or see there. There's museums, historical buildings, go see an orchestra in the opera house, etc. Also plenty of diversity in food, you can even find Mexican food there. Oh, and definitely go to Bondi beach.

And also the public transport in Sydney is extremely well developed, so you shouldn't have too hard of a time getting anywhere. It's easy to get lost though.

Don't really recommend Canberra unless you're absolutely dying to see parliament house or the ANZAC war memorial. (Do recommend the war memorial though.) Canberra's just boring and kind of has this slight back-water vibe to it.

Do recommend the Blue Mountains, they're absolutely beautiful.
The Minamurra rainforest is also quite nice, there's a boardwalk for people to walk around in it.

Despite only seeing a small part of Australia, it's 10/10, would go to again.
>>
>>1090476
Thanks! I heard it's pretty expensive tho. I plan to do some backpacking...
>>
Good destination.

Drop bears.
>>
>>1090470
save your money and go to NZ australia's full of cunts
>>
I live in Perth, There isn't a whole lot to do over here. The Eastern states are where its at for tourists I'd say, Blue Mountains, Sydney harbour bridge etc. Melbourne is a beautifully kept city, lots of beautiful old buildings there and great lakes and rivers to see also :)
Aus is fairly pricy yes, Sydney is in the top 10 most expensive cities to live in i believe but Perth (WA) where i live is something like the 54'th most expensive haha
Lots of nice backpackers hotels and inns in Northbridge and the City here in Perth
>>
Stick to the coast mate, I'd suggest the east coast. Mid north coast area is beautful. Lots of natural beauty all along the coast desu.
>>
>>1090470
From someone who lives here, Skip the west coast, don't waste your time in Canberra.

If your going to QLD go far north, Brisbane/Gold Coast don't really offer anything besides tourist traps of clubs and young people. Thats literally it. But if your after that knock yourself out.

Spend the rest of your time in Sydney/Melbourne. Bondi is a shitty beach, head up or down the coast to find all the unspoiled ones literally everywhere that are empty. May be a bit of a challenge if your only on public transport but.
>>
>>1090470
Victoria cunt here.

Melbourne's got some good shit. The Moomba Festival ended a few days ago unfortunately, but stuff that, the name literally means "up your arse".

Sports? Fuck yeah. The AFL season kicks off in a week and there's a few grounds you can visit for games. The Melbourne Cricket Ground seats 100 thousand people. There's also the Etihad Stadium at the Docklands. If you want to see a Geelong match, Simonds Stadium is about an hours drive from Melbourne. The A-League's still going for a few weeks, so AAMI Park will host a few more Victory and City games. There'll be rugby there sometimes and the rugby season has kicked off. The atmosphere's intense at AFL games, catch one if you can. Rivalries like Carlton-Collingwood and Geelong-Hawthorn get massive crowds.

Beaches? Fuck yeah. Williamstown beach is gr8.

Suburbs? An ethnic mess. Stay away from Dandenong, Frankston and St. Albans unless you plan on getting murdered by crazy Middle-Eastern gangs who speak like they support Western Sydney Wanderers.

Weather? Summer's ended but fuck me it's still a bit hot. We just had a storm today so the temperatures will hopefully drop to their usual mild climate for winter.

Past Geelong you've got some good shit like the Great Ocean Road and a few good seaside suburbs like Torquay, Jan Juc, Barwon Heads and Queenscliff.

Mildura = FUCKING HOT. Anything along the Murray is pretty much a country town.

Western suburbs somehow have an industrial feel but maybe it's because the area's smaller than the eastern suburbs. Stay out of Sunshine and St. Albans. In fact, fuck the west. I live about 40 minutes northwest of Melbourne, comfy town.

The east is fine. Nepean Highway, a lot of towns and cities on the coast. If you go out farther from there you'll end up in the Gippsland area.

Ballarat's got Sovereign Hill, great place to take the kids. One of the places where the gold rush took place. You can actually pan for gold there but you won't get much
>>
Ausfag here.
Any particular State or City you'll be travelling to?
If price and distance are no option, you'll want to check out:

Northern Territory
>Pretty much just for Ayer's Rock (or Uluru, not sure how it's known to the rest of the world)

Queensland
>The Great Barrier Reef
>Whitehaven Beach
>Ascend a Glass House mountain (Ngungun for a hike and Tibrogargan for a climb) - great views.
>Australia Zoo if you cared about Steve Irwin and want to see his zoo.
>Warner Bros. Movie World
You can do the first two up in the Whitsundays, then hit Brisbane (the Queensland capital) up, you've got about an hour's drive to either the mountains (and Australia Zoo is right next to the mountains) or Movie World from there. Don't linger too long in Brisbane - there's very little to do.

New South Wales
>Blue Mountains (depending on the time of year)
>Sydney (Australia's largest city) - check out the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge then bail, the city is nothing special. Could check out Sydney Cove if you have any interest in Australia's convict history.

Australian Capital Territory
>Only worth looking at if want to see Parliament House.

Victoria
>Melbourne is the nation's cultural capital, you can see a lot of theatre here and the food is the best in the country, I reckon.
>it also has lots of cool little bars, it's a very hipster and snobbish place
>Check out the Great Ocean Road for some nice views
>Check out the MCG if you give a shit about that sort of thing
>Ride a Tram

Tasmania
South Australia
Western Australia
>Don't bother with any of these.

As for tips... not really, hey. Everyone here's relatively chill towards outsiders - as long as you come here legally. You might get hit on a bit by some slutty young women if you do some cheap bars and clubs on a Saturday night if you have an attractive accent. Tipping is classy as fuck - it's not necessary here at all so don't ever tip more than like 10%, and only at nicer places.
Any other questions?
>>
test
>>
Melbournian here
Make sure you don't just see capitals of course
As far as capitals go, melbourne has the most to offer, but don't pass up sydney, or maybe even Brisbane. As someone interested in politics and history I suggest Canberra, but if that bores you than maybe pass it. If you like partying check out the gold coast. Hell, if you like the beach check out the sunshine coast. The great barrier reef is good too, but you'll need to go further north to really see it, like cairns. Uluru is generally a must see, check out the outback.
Any specific interests? I'll try to assist you from there
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.