[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Relocating and sending shit via shipping containers (or whatever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1433490370837.jpg (115 KB, 500x616) Image search: [Google]
1433490370837.jpg
115 KB, 500x616
So I'm planning to move to a different country but haven't started yet, I have a lot of shit I would like to pack into a container and move to the place I want to relocate to, have any anons done this?

Usually what I hear people doing is just selling their shit and then buying the equivalent in their new country. No idea what to do but I have some pretty big items that I would like to keep, like my 32" TV and my bicycle.

Have a high test chink female as payment
>>
It's going to take a TON of time, on the order of months before your stuff will arrive. I've not done it, but I have a veeery distant uncle that works on a long-haul freight ship.
>>
Any reason why you want to keep that TV and bike?
Are you moving to a poorer country where you can't find a similar one?
>>
>>1089882
Yeah something like that

>>1089877
I wouldn't actually mind too much if it took a couple of months as long as it did arrive and some thieving fucker didn't decide they want to keep it instead of delivering
Is it usually a reliable thing to get a container delivered? Or does it depend on the countries and shit like that?
>>
>>1089890
Don't forget to check the country's rule for that.
They may charge customs or put some bureaucratic hops.
>>
>>1089874
look at the price of the items, compare it to the price of shipping, compare it to the price of the item in the lication you are moving to. check out how much you can sell your bike for.

so
bike cost $200
it cost $50 to ship
to buy a new one would cost 150 dollars

cost to ship is cheapest in this case, but can you just sell the bike for $175 and then buy a brand new one for $150 when you are there?

got a sauce for the girl?
>>
>>1089890
>is shipping a reliable thing
Keep in mind, I'm telling you all this based on ten-year-old stories from someone I've met two or three times in my life. Check more in-depth yourself rather than trusting the Nepalese numismatics aficionado board.
International shipping does not depend on countries. A plurality of ships fly the Liberian flag because it's the cheapest one to sail under. Does that mean Liberia has anything to say about what happens on board? Hell no. If you decide to ship something, you have to decide on a shipping company. Nobody will steal your shit because containers are usually sealed so you can tell if they've been opened/tampered with, no worries on that front.

In any case, a container is HUGE. Try standing next to one. Do you really have that much stuff that you need to transport? Last I checked, prices were pretty friggin' prohibitive as well.

So, onto the concrete stuff: from where to where do you need to ship things? Because selling and re-buying might be the cheaper option by far.
>>
>>1089897
Though you normally don't have the whole container for yourself, you just rent part of it...
>>
I'm in the military, have had friends have to ship household good to and form the USA all the time. I ill ask the question how long it typically takes. I can't speak to the cost, as it's government funded, unless someone volunteers o move themselves, which almost no one does for international moves.
>>
>>1089907
1st answer I got so far
>Used to be about 30-60 days. Always seemed to take longer to OCONUS versus coming back to the USA.
>>
>>1089907
>40 days from Hawaii to New Orleans.
>>
>>1089907
> Mine took about 30 days both ways. Just depends though
>>
>>1089907
>Ours took 2 months from Iwakuni to cali
>>
>>1089874
If you're in the US likely you won't be able to do this by yourself -- you'll have to hire a moving company. You have LCL (less than a container load) worth of stuff; these quantities are usually handled by freight forwarders, but freight forwarders usually won't do business with private individuals. So, you'll need to get a moving company, which isn't cheap -- you'll pay (for example) way over $5,000 for a 20' container's worth of stuff from the US to Japan. Shipping time varies; first world country to first world country will take around a month, depending on how fast customs works in the destination country. Figure another 2 to 4 weeks if you're moving somewhere in the third world. In any case, the other anons ITT are right -- better sell your shit and do without, or buy new stuff when you arrive. You only save $ by shipping if you've got a lot of stuff to move. Oh, and your TV -- are you sure it'll work in your destination country? Voltages, amps, tuners can and do vary between countries.
>>
>>1089962
>You only save $ by shipping if you've got a lot of stuff to move.

He very well could be a real adult with a household worth of goods, you know.
>>
>>1089963
So what?
Nobody said he wasn't. We don't know.
And >>1089962 just pointed out a true fact. It's not worth it the hassle and cost of shipping unless you have a lot of stuff.
>>
He has a bioe and a TV and considers them big lmao. Unless you have a prized grandfather clock that you inherited from your ww1 ancestors you aint got shit to move as everything nowdays is disposable. Bike could be something thats actually in the $1000s and is worth shipping, but it could be a junker in the $100s. OP is just keeping busy. Why would he ask this on a chinese childrens drawing scroll.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.