[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here ridden Greyhound? I want to take a 24 hour trip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: greyhound.jpg (11 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
greyhound.jpg
11 KB, 620x350
Has anyone here ridden Greyhound? I want to take a 24 hour trip on it, but I dunno if I I can sleep on it. I'd need room to do so. Plus, I can only sleep on my back, so I'd need to be able to turn over on my seat.

So, uh, is it possible to sleep on a Greyhound bus?
>>
>>1089394
>on my back
fuck, I meant on my stomach. My stomach on a surface and my back in the air.
>>
I sleep on a greyhound all the time. It's not comfortable and a lot of time you might be crammed next to someone, but you can still do it. You can also sleep in the greyhound stations assuming you have a ticket with you that's going somewhere in the near future.
>>
>>1089394
Flying is cheaper. 24hr is a stupid amount of time to travel if you aren't traversing the globe.

If you can sleep in a LazyBoy, on a couch, sitting upright in a chair...if you ever practice that...you will do it easily. So practice? Take a nap occasionally in a chair. Blow-up neck pillow will help, esp a window seat to lean on. If you never ever get that tired that you can fall asleep sitting up, then you might doze in and out only briefly, or you might wish you could, but you don't. Whatever. You'll eventually get through it and it's over. Longest I've flown nonstop is 14hr, and sometimes you sleep, sometimes you don't. Frequent flyers never know if their body cooperates.

If you have a mood disorder, it aint worth going into sleep deprivation. Get on a plane.
>>
Comments on their Fbook page

>Greyhound is terrible. They need to up their game. Wifi on the busses doesn't usually work, Food at the stations are low quality and overpriced, service is crap. Run's late and leaves the stations early when it has the opportunity. Doesn't give refunds for silly mistakes, oh and charges a fee for using someone elses card. Even though you pay. Greyhound has definitely seen better days, I'm going to use Amtrak for now on, atleast until Greyhound actually starts caring about it's service again.

>And then there's the problem with the entire bathroom experience.

>Trains are way more efficient and friendlier towards the environment anyways.
>>
You might think that Greyhound is cheaper but factor in all the money you'll be spending on expensive gas station food during your trip. Not to mention the time cost.

If this is your first time riding Greyhound you're in for a shock. Bus travel in America is not like in Europe. Only the poor ride the bus and the Greyhound stations are always located in the ghetto part of cities for some reason. The prison system even uses Greyhound to transfer low risk prisoners between facilities. Look it up. Your seatmate could likely be a criminal on his way to jail. Good luck trying sleep while keeping your wallet and passport safe.
>>
>>1089456
I've taken buses in America several times, both Greyhound and Megabus, including overnight. It's actually a normal bus ride. It's not designed for sleeping like the sleeper buses in Argentina or Vietnam, but overall the buses are new, the seats are quite soft and comfortable. If you but the tickets online at least a few days ahead, it's by far the cheapest way to travel if you're alone. Much cheaper than train and plane on short and medium distances (less than 12 hours).
>>
>>1089458
Not him, but it must depend on the route. I used to ride between milwaukee and chicago and the bus was full of sketchy niggers. I would never feel comfortable going to sleep, and good luck at the station in the middle of the night.

As soon as i got any money i would ride amtrak instead. If you need to avoid air travel for some reason, amtrak's prices create an artificial barrier keeping out a lot of the shitbags.
>>
>>1089475

Agreed. Airports have security checks to keep out the nutters. Greyhound doesn't. It's easy to sneak in a knife, gun, bottle of whiskey or whatever onto the bus.

My worst experience was on a trip from Houston to San Francisco. At the first stop, half of the nogs got off and bought a bucket of KFC chicken each to munch on. The repugnant smell of their greasy food wafted throughout the bus for the rest of the long journey. Worst of all I was seated at the back near the toilet. Never again.
>>
If you can get a dirt cheap ticket, it's not the worst, but 24 hours? Nah fuck that.

Taking a bus is where poor people go to travel. They can smell, talk crazy/nonstop, or just be fat and take up more than their seat. It really is a gamble, but if you have something to do (laptop/book/game), it is fine, just realize what you're getting in to.

The stations, as mentioned, are also dirty and grimey. I got propositioned for a blowjob by an old nigger at one after he told me it was his birthday and asked if he could "help me out in any way possible." It pissed me off more than anything, but I just ignored him. You will always see sketchy niggers wandering around and you never know what they are there for.
>>
>>1089566
Fugggg that sounds like torture
>>
My experiences with Greyhound have never been as shady as everyone else in this thread, but the idea of sleeping on one seems a bit ridiculous.

At one point, I decided to take an 8 hour Greyhound, midnight to 8am, thinking I could just sleep the whole way, but at 3:30 in the morning we stopped and for some reason EVERYONE had to get off the bus and sit in the station for like an hour. Then there was some tard who threw up all over the station so we had to sit in a vomit-filled bus station for an hour. It was pretty awful.

Oh and the wifi doesn't ever work.
>>
It's not worth the money you might save. It's packed full of people and uncomfortable. I took it from San Diego to LA. I also took it from Flint to Lansing. The trip in Michigan was way better.

Overall, I'd say train is the best. Cozy and flexible. You have room to spread out and wander around. I love the train. Even if it can be more expensive than driving.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.