[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Posted this on /out/ but they told me to go here. I need to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1457555060571.jpg (16 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1457555060571.jpg
16 KB, 500x500
Posted this on /out/ but they told me to go here.

I need to make an emergency road trip from Atlanta to New Jersey on Saturday. Drive is about 13 hours straight without stopping, so with breaks and whatnot, I'm going to say it'll be closer to 15 hours.

I have frozen and cold food that I bought a few days ago before I knew I'd have to leave. About $80-100 worth of cold food in the fridge so I want to bring it with me. Could a foam cooler like this packed with ice keep my food safe for that long?
>>
Yeah it'll be fine, you might need to change the Ice at some point and it'll probably leak so keep a towel under it.
>>
>>1089296
you'll be fine mate. The frozen stuff might thaw out a little bit but should still be able to re freeze.

As a cu/ck/ I can safely say there is no risk of cross contamination or food borne illnesses from your refrigeration method, even if it was frozen chicken or pork. As long as the storage stays below 5 c which it will, your food's fine.

The trip doesn't sound like a fun vacation, so I'm sorry to hear about it. Chin up, anon.
>>
>>1089360
(5c is 41F)
>>
Foam is a very decent cooler. The best coolers for long term use are metal shells with foam inside, or vacuum sealing. I give it 48 hours! I've used disposable coolers in rental cars for hiking and road trips, and they go 48 hours in 70F weather, just replenish ice every day as needed.

Since you are leaving Saturday, I suggest you look at making a couple larger ice blocks now. Put your stuff in the cooler now, see what kind of room you're looking at, maybe something like a tupperware bowl or square containers, or even freeze some old water bottles. These will last WAY longer than cubes with that surface area. Probably 36-48 hours easily, if you keep the lid on. If you want to go in and out of the cooler, might need to buy a bag of ice or get a few cupfuls from a fast food place (if you're nice), and keep it going. Tip out any water if it gets to be a problem.

The worst part of a styrofoam cooler is they SQUEAK as your car shakes over bumps. They rub a seat, or the lid rubs, and it can drive you nuts. I suggest a towel or two to kind of soften what it can touch or rub against. One underneath, another over the top, plus it adds insulation.
>>
>>1089360
>trip doesn't sound like a fun vacation, so I'm sorry to hear about it. Chin up, anon.

Thanks, I'm a contractor who got laid off/terminated with four other people with four days notice. My company says I'll have a new assignment, but I should go back home (NJ) as soon as possible.

As an aside, the next assignment might be in Gainesville Florida, so it'll be another 18 hours or so south again. FML
>>
Dry ice
>>
>>1089296
Youll be fine, just do as another anon said and monitor the ice when you stop for gas. Hope things improve for you.
>>
>>1089296

ALREADY BEEN POSTED MULTIPLE TIMES

Now fuck off
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.