[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rent clothes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: winter.jpg (58 KB, 640x532) Image search: [Google]
winter.jpg
58 KB, 640x532
I'm planning a tour through Europe.
I want to start in Germany or France and go up to Norway or Sweden to try to see the northern lights.
The thing is, I'm from a hot area that never sees snow and I'm not pretending on spending a lot of time in cold regions. So I don't really want to buy clothes that can keep me warm in the Norwegian winter because they'll be useless after I leave Norway (or Sweden).

Are there alternative to buying?
Do they have renting services for clothes or maybe some thrift stores where I can buy cheap and resell even cheaper later? (or donate, if there's even a need for that in those Nordic countries)
>>
Resell would probably be your best (cheapest) bet.
>>
File: chart.jpg (64 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
chart.jpg
64 KB, 1200x800
>>1089013
The best way is to just go to any second hand store when you get there. It won't be good looking but it'll keep you warm, if you are going in summer months it won't even be a big issue.

I think the refugees might make it a bit harder to find something good but you should have no problems finding a hunting jacket or something.

Also, layer everything. Don't assume just a thick jacket will be enough, it's better to wear three thin sweaters than one thick jacket. Always double and triple up on everything, at the least you should have a long t shirt, a sweater, AND a jacket, ideally you would have 2 or 3 more layers.

Also, if you are going between June and September, it's enough with a winter jacket from your country. In the norrlands or lapland (where you will be guaranteed northern lights), it's enough with a winter jacket from your home country and a thick hoodie. It usually stays above 10 c, even at night, pic related will give you some idea.

There's also H&M, those clothes are such shit quality that they will probably tear by the time you take them back home anyways. They are honestly priced at a matching point with second hand clothes in Sweden.

Finally, clothing rental is a stupid idea and you should feel like a stupid idiot for thinking such stupid dumb idiot thoughts.
>>
>>1089013
OP, Florida native here, and I used to check Burlington for deals, and you will find them, but in the okay price range, not necessarily dirt cheap. Outlet malls are nice, but they aren't always well stocked at true bargains. So you go online and right now the winter stuff is on clearance.... If you are an easy size you'll do alright and it will be new and unsoiled, better than thrift in some cases.
I have my layers and I'm okay with doubling up but if you need true waterproof and real gear that will keep you alive..it's tougher.. I was never really happy with what I can get piece by piece, when all I really wanted was a sure thing. Returned a couple things to Columbia and LLBean before I left, and got an outer layer at EMS that was super nice but didn't have the best layers, so got an REI vest...all a huge expense when I stopped in DC on the way to my last big trip. Swear to God, after all that fretting and getting my gear in advance, saw a 3-in-1 at Wal-Mart the moment I arrived in Alaska for $25. Shoes are your other big true need, and you'll need to break them in, and wear great socks while doing that.
Anything that you do use and want to resell later can go to a consignment shop, and you recoup the money when they move it.
Go to Wal-mart and amazon online, and look for something new, first. If you wait til Europe, they have their chinese superstores too. But truly nice gear? Down and such? It'll have a bottom line price that will still be expensive. Can you borrow something from someone who does some skiing?
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.