[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tipping in America
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9
File: tips.jpg (192 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
192 KB, 1280x960
hey, I'm visiting the US in late march and I want to know what's expected of me when it comes to tipping.

thanks.
>>
File: ySh5L.jpg (92 KB, 495x781) Image search: [Google]
ySh5L.jpg
92 KB, 495x781
15%
Either accept this number as a blanket fact or read 2300 word pages on the internet what&where and why.
Seriously, there isn't a single page that is under 1000 words. Goddamn it, USA.

>E Europe here, most of the time leave the change when it's ~10%
>Would prolly be more consistent in the US and actually bother calculating it

Also get them green texts going lads
>>
>>1088150
>15%
>Either accept this number as a blanket fact or read 2300 word pages on the internet what&where and why.
This is close enough. You won't offend anyone by tipping 15% in a restaurant. Many do tip more, though.
>Only variation you need to know is that in bars, it's more often a dollar per drink.
>>
I hadn't even considered tipping at bars.
Like tip the bar-guy for pouring a thing into a thing? At least with waiters you get the arguments

>they make jack shit money
>the work is hard and it's all day

And I guess you can make the argument about almost any position, but come on.

This is why it's a meme.
>>
>>1088178
Bartenders don't make money apart from tips, either, and they work all night. And sometimes they have to mix complicated drinks.

>Perhaps most importantly, they have to tolerate a roomful of drunks.

But I understand that it makes no sense to foreigners.
>>
>>1088182
Bartenders do make money aside from tips.
>>
>>1088145
Tip 20% at restaurants if you are in any city of means and the server does a good job. Reduce if they are inattentive or stupid. 15% will do in poor areas. Dont tip at fast food places, tipping is for service.

Tip a barber 15-20% for a haircut, tip a bartender $1 per drink (or more if you'd like to have their attention, makes getting the next drink easier).

Im just telling you the rules, im not interested in discussing the virtues of tipping or how euros think its stupid.
>>
>>1088188
Tip a barber?
Da fuq?
Looks like >>1088150
is not that far fetched from reality then.
Do you tip the scissor too?

>>1088182
So bartenders work for free?
>>
Bartending is a shit job with shit people with shit hours a very small amount of pay without tips

The thing with tipping bartenders is that you aren't tipping for their service for that one drink, you're tipping for their continued service through the night, especially if its a high volume bar. If you give the bartender 100% tip (say you buy a $2 beer, give him a $5 and say keep the change) he'll more than likely remember you all night long and come right up to you when he sees you at the bar. If you don't give him shit, he'll take his time and make you wait.

For some reasons faggots don't understand this and they will be the ones continuously slapping the bar or waving money over their heads trying to get the bartenders attention. Protip: We see you. But we wont serve you for even longer now, just to spite you.
>>
>>1088212
>not that far fetched from reality then
Its not. I was starting to list all of the people who work for tips but it would be pretty long.

Some restaurants automatically add a tip of 15-20% to the bill without telling you, especially if you are in a larger group. Imagine the awkwardness that plays out when your bitchy aunt thinks the service wasn't worth 18.5% and makes a huge scene with the manager to get the tip removed...

>working for tips story..
I delivered pizza and I worked for tips. It was a pretty good system for me. The pizza place didnt pay me anything but I didnt have to do anything in the shop other than deliver pizzas. I made $2-$3 for each delivery plus whatever the person gave me for a tip. I would store notes in the computer system about the tipping habits of the regular customers. I remember one guy that stuck out, he would always write a paper check for the exact amount, down to the penny. I would be sure to always take his pizza last if I had a few other deliveries or I would just sit around in the shop and bullshit with the girls for 20mins after it was ready before I took it. There was this really cool guy that worked in a tattoo shop, he would give $10-$15 tips. I would make his order myself in-front of all of the other orders and run it out the door.
>>
>>1088212
Yes, you tip a barber. He performed a service for you and likely makes shit wages.

If youre poor maybe you dont understand but a few dollars out of my pocket means nothing but it means everything to someone who is in the service industry.

OP asked a question and i answered it. Why do euros insist on making fun of tipping? It would be like me making fun of not tipping. Whats the point?
>>
>>1088250
>>1088270
So you tip any service worker? Do you tip the cashier at a clothing store? The cashier of a supermarket?
Those are probably as shitty of a job as a bartender (in terms of pay and recognition).

What I don't understand is this logic of "it's a service I'm receiving from a likely underpaid worker so I society DEMANDS THAT I tip." that doesn't seem to have a clear definition of "service".
Why don't you tip the workers from fast food then? It's a service (they're preparing the food to you), it's underpaid and a shitty job.
Just because YOU have to go to the counter, ask for the food and take the food yourself to your own table? If someone else does that, she deserves a tip?
Do you tip porters from apartments? Do you tip the cleaning lady from establishments you frequent? These are services and besides the cleaning lady, are services that deal with you in a personal level.

Also, aren't barbers self-employed? Meaning that their wage is dependent on how many clients they serve? Or is barber a profession just like Mcdonalds cashiers in the US, where they receive a base wage?
>>
>>1088278
I don't know. It's a weird cultural thing. Try not to overthink it. And you might think I'm trolling at this point, but in a lot of fast food restaurants (not corporate) or coffee shops, it's not uncommon to see tip jars by the register, or to have receipts printed out for you with a tip section. Also, since no one else mentioned it, it's also usually expected of you to tip taxi drivers and bellhops. Welcome to America! :^)

As for barbers, I believe you're right that they're self-employed. They rent the stations for a set fee and keep whatever they make. At least, that's what I always thought. It might not be like that everywhere.
>>
>>1088278
Sometimes baristas and cashiers have a tip jar, but its not taboo to not tip.

The "service industry" is almost exclusive to bartenders and watiers but also include bellhops, valet drivers and delivery. And yes, sometimes you tip cleaning ladies if you feel like it. The only real taboo is not tipping servers, not tipping delivery drivers and not tipping bartenders. Anyone else you might get a weird look but thats it.

You tip people because it shows compassion and good nature towards people who are interacting with you on a personal level. If you can't understand that you should just stay in your country and whine about other peoples customs on the internet.

Also, barbers aren't self employed, they rent their station from the owners.
>>
>>1088292
>Also, barbers aren't self employed, they rent their station from the owners.

Let me clarify, they rent their station but also still only get a cut of the payment.

The place I goto has a no tip policy because all of the stylists get paid well.
>>
>>1088145
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-s606/United-States:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html
Here's your 1000s of words on tipping in the US.

>>1088278
Look, I agree. The system is awful. It doesn't make any sense. It is hard to remember all the rules. And I don't really feel like making a decision about money and doing a bunch of math at the end of a good meal. But it is the way it is. Do you think Americans should come to your country and only pay half their bill?
>>
Californian here chiming in on what I do, not the morality.
Sit-down restaurant tip - 15%
Bar tip - $1 per drink
Delivery tip - $3-$5 depending on distance
Valle - $5

I get free haircuts and I don't take taxis so that's basically my tipping rules. Also, OP, what states are you going to? Some states let businesses pay employees well below minimum wage if those employees expect to be tipped.
>>
>>1088316
Though tip is the unspoken part of the bill.
Or do baristas say that the price of the drink is US$2+US$1 for the tip, making it a total of US$3?
The barber charges you US$45 saying that US$40 is the price of the service and US$5 is the price of the tip?
Do they include and discriminate the tip price in the bill in the US?
Where I live the tip for waiters is discriminated in the bill and it's optional so if you don't pay it, you won't be arrested or anything. It's not the same as paying half the bill.
And really, do people pay 50% as tip?
>>
For restaurants, I tip 10% when I travel. It's unlikely I will ever be back, or if I will it won't be for a long time. If it's a place I go to often I tip 15%.

Regarding tipping bartenders, it's only in fancier sort of bar places. Most places wouldn't have you paying after every single drink, you'd just get a bill for the table after you're done.
>>
>>1088188
>or how euros think its stupid.

You mean how the rest of the world thinks its stupid.

Ive been to like 40 different countries and so far the only one to have weird and strict tipping rules is the US (and Mexico to a lesser degree, but they mainly do it because its an easy way to get extra money off american tourists).

Even Americans agree its a stupid as fuck system, but because of your inbuilt political and economic problems its unlikely to change. Sad to see so many people will actually mistreat customers that dont want to pay an optional fee, its a real blight on the service industry in the US.

As an Australian will people fuck me over if i dont tip, but im clearly a tourist? (You can tell because of my accent)
>>
15% or 20% if you can. 20% is becoming more and more the norm and it's nice to do if they were nice to you
>>
>>1088270
>>1088212
this person is right. you tip a barber. generally anywhere up to $5.

>>1088317
you mean valet?
>>
>>1088278
>Why don't you tip the workers from fast food then? It's a service (they're preparing the food to you), it's underpaid and a shitty job.

It's an appropriately paid job though for the skills required. It's not meant to be a sole means of income. Fast food is for teenagers, college students, blacks and mentally slow people. Except the blacks feel like they're entitled to $15/hr for making burgers and fries.
>>
>>1088182
>Bartenders don't make money apart from tips
You mean apart from stealing money from the bar?

And yea, they all fucking do it. I live in NYC; there are a hundred bars within walking distance of me. I'm not gonna tip some faggot for popping the top off a bottle, and if he refuses to serve me I'll file a complaint and go to another bar. Service workers are infuriating. Just do your fucking job
>>
>>1088412
>As an Australian will people fuck me over if i dont tip, but im clearly a tourist? (You can tell because of my accent)
Yes. First of all, it isn't always clear you're a tourist, since the US obviously has a lot of first-generation immigrants. Second of all, no one gives a fuck if you're a tourist anyways since everyone here expects you to know our customs and traditions.

I don't know why you would care though. Just don't go to the same establishment twice. They're not gonna do anything if you don't tip, but if you go back again they might fuck with your food or something. The exception is bartenders, who will sometimes outright ignore you if you don't tip. And by ignore, I mean they LITERALLY will not serve you, even if you bother them.

anyways, I'm
>>1088432
Obviously I agree tipping is fucking retarded, but you can get screwed over if you don't do it.
>>
>bartenders will stop serving you if you don't tip
tipity topity kek

Aren't these guys raking cash anyway?
If they serve 20-30 drinks an hour and they get a dollar or more tip on each one, it's a fat pay right?
>>
ITT
>non americans complain about american customs after discussing regional customs in other threads
>wise ass shitfucker american teenagers try to justify not tipping
>non servers try to explain how being a server is easy based on the seeing only 35% of what a server does at their job

i just wish the restaurants here would just provide normal wages, hike the food prices, and pass the cost on to the customers already.
>>
>>1088481
that is assuming that they are consistently busy for the entire duration of the shift. the first few hours of the shift are usually shit.
>>
File: 1448119502280.jpg (44 KB, 639x960) Image search: [Google]
1448119502280.jpg
44 KB, 639x960
>>1088487
Still, making 30$ an hour at some point compensates for 2 hours.
I've worked in bars in Europe, and even on calm days I'd easily serve 100+ drinks.

I happily tip after a good service at a restaurant, because the waiter earned it, but bartenders expecting tips for basic service is a fucked up concept.
>>
>>1088489
in most states they only make 3$ an hour and they do a bunch of stuff behind the scenes while they are at it, they do a lot more than just pour drinks.
>>
In Mexico CIty the tipping is out of control too.

Since parking is a complete pain in the ass apparently, there are guys that help you park your car on the streets and inside parking lots. You have to tip this fuckers out of fear they will damage your car or sometimes they even let people steal it while you are away.

At stoplights there are also people that will forcefully clean your windshield or dust your whole car and your are expected to tip them, again out of fear most people do it. It is not unheard of that if you don't, they will mark your car somehow and in the next stoplight you can get mugged.

Those are the worst case scenarios in each example, many people just tell to fuck off. However it can be be seen as unwise since you can get them off your backs with 10 pesos.
>>
>>1088492
yeah no shit, so does anyone who works at a bar at any place in the world

cleaning up after closing is probably the worst part of working at a bar
>>
>>1088250

This is why bartenders tend to be cunts in general but it sounds even worse in the US.

>Why should i have to pay your wage and not your employer?
>You think that hot girl is gonna wait for you at the end of your shift and fuck you because you served her first? pathetic.
>>
>>1088250
>Bartending is a shit job with shit people with shit hours
So is every job buddy; grow up.

>say you buy a $2 beer, give him a $5 and say keep the change
Are you fucking insane? Paying over DOUBLE the price of a drink? Go fuck yourself. You're lucky if I give you 50 cents for passing me a bottle.

>If you don't give him shit, he'll take his time and make you wait.
Then he's a shitty, worthless employee and he won't get my business anymore. Not to mention that bartenders are mostly passive-aggressive assholes who will do this anyways, unless you're a "regular".

>Protip: We see you. But we wont serve you for even longer now, just to spite you.
Yea, we're real offended when some faggot unskilled worker on a power trip decides to be a cunt. I'll just walk down the street to the next bar, or the one next to that, or any of the million places that serve liquor in my city. Your bar means less than nothing to me.

I'll give you some advice from the top, free of charge (since I'm not a greedy nigger); acting like an entitled child won't get you far in a real job. Get over the fact that work sucks, be a professional and do your goddamn job. You are the reason that people bitch about tipping culture.
>>
>>1088178
>>1088212
>>1088278
>>1088412
If you dont like how things are done in America then don't come to America. Arguing about the logic behind our cultural norms is a juvenile exercise which unfortunately occurs often on this site. It would be like if i posted a thread bitching about how euros don't tip, or aggressively arguing about the virtues of using a bidet. It's fucking pointless.

OP asked a question. Some have answered it. Let it be and fuck off.
>>
>>1088522
As if threads always stayed on topic.
>>
>>1088513
Not much to tell you buddy, everybody knows it's bullshit, but that's the way it is. You can argue it, but you're still going to get shafted if you don't tip.

Always hike up your expected spending at a bar by at least 50% if you want average service. Otherwise drink at home.
>>
20%, no more, no less, unless you just had awful service and it was the waiter's fault (it usually isn't). I hate the system but you're an enormous dick if you don't tip as it stands.
>>
So can someone tell me how much do i need for like a month in US ? I mean reagular life, eating at bars and restaurants at the west, traveling in a busses and trains.
5000$ will be enough or is it only for tipping?
>>
>>1088544
Wrong. 15% is the standard gratuity. You only tip in excess of 15% if you feel the server did a really good job. 20% is a really fucking good tip, they'll be surprised you're paying that much.
>>
>>1088188
This. Or act like most other foreigners and pretend you don't know what tipping is.
>>
>>1088145

>tipping as a tourist

don't fall for the tipping meme
>>
>>1088548
It really depends on the city. US$5k should be enough if you don't tip the asphalt and the public post lights. You can prevent having to tip them by not using motorized vehicles and walking at night. And not using a motorized vehicle is a better choice if you're on a budget because you also won't have to tip the car nor the gas station (but US$5k should be enough to cover those tips).
>>
>>1088182
>And sometimes they have to mix complicated drinks.

it's not rocket science senpai
>>
I'll give you a tip, don't go to the same place twice and you'll never have to tip.
>>
>>1088539
>you're still going to get shafted if you don't tip
Not really. I go to a fairly popular bar in Seattle almost every weekend and rarely, if ever, leave a tip. I don't get preferential service, but they treat me fine. You can try to justify being an asshole I guess but the truth is you're just a shitty employee and a shitty person
>>
What's the big deal? I'm from Ireland but I still get it's their culture, you're visiting just fucking pay it and consider it part of the bill, food and drink is cheap in USA anyhow. A night out in any capital city in western Europe is easily more expensive when you compare like with like so just pay the tip, it's not that hard.

Oz is even more stupidly expensive so you can stop fucking moaning about it too, $16 for a coffee, wear a fucking mask next time. A 20% tip would still leave you at half the price.

Unless your waiter is a prick then tell them to fuck themselves.
>>
>>1088432

Thank you Mr. Trump.
>>
File: 800px-USDnotes.png (1 MB, 800x697) Image search: [Google]
800px-USDnotes.png
1 MB, 800x697
>>1088145
Don't tip. Tipping perpetuates complacency of wage slavery.
>>
>tipping a barman $1 per drink

What the fuck why?
>>
>>1089016
>muh heritage
>>
>>1089016
>food and drink is cheap in USA anyhow
I love this meme, Its really not. Meals themselves appear to be cheaper on the menu, but once you've factored in tips, sales tax and exchange rates, they usually come out pretty comparable.

Speaking of, Sales tax is a bigger piece of shit then tipping. Just fucking write out much its going to cost to begin with, not just tack that shit on at the end. Factor it into the fucking price already and round up.
>>
>>1089145
Bartenders in the US have convinced themselves that it's okay for them to literally not do their jobs if someone doesn't give them extra money.
>>
File: wages.png (49 KB, 743x563) Image search: [Google]
wages.png
49 KB, 743x563
>>1089022
Don't you think it would be better to lobby for your state to pay tipped wages at or above federal minimun wage (which most states do), and or for minimum wage to be raised
>>
>>1088338
Some (very few) restaurants will show a recommended tip at the bottom of a bill, something like:

Total $20.00

Recommended Tip
20% = $4.00
18% = $3.60
15% = $3.00
10% = $2.00

If the tip is already included in the price of the meal it will have a line before the total adding a percentage. This is called a "Gratuity", and may be charged more often for large groups.

How much you tip depends on the service, I'm sure I've tipped 50% before, probably even 100% if the bill was small and obviously laborious for the person.
>>
>>1089145
Yeah, indeed. Bartending in America, here I come. Surely you rake in at least $75 a day in a respectable bar, even on quiet days. That's more than I'd earn over here with a Master's degree.
>>
>>1089207
I often like to say "I won't give you a $2 tip, but if you need someone to march beside you on a protest for better wages, give me a call"
>>
>>1089207
>>1089221
According to the Departament of Labor,

A tipped employee engages in an occupation in which he or she customarily and regularly receives more than $30 per month in tips. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 per hour in direct wages if that amount combined with the tips received at least equals the federal minimum wage. If the employees tips combined with the employers direct wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Many states, however, require higher direct wage amounts for tipped employees.
>>
File: 1455777083296.jpg (104 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1455777083296.jpg
104 KB, 640x640
>live in new jersey.
>around the holidays most people tip the guy who pumps your gas.
>>
I don't have anything against tipping, and I even do it here (not in the U.S.). I just think it's odd how it's pretty much an obligation. I feel like if you want to be a rude person and not tip (or simply not tip because of shitty service) you should be able to.
>>
>>1089221
Wow, you're actually that guy. Lol

>mfw I tip 30% every time because I'm in the service industry. Stop your hitching and pay to play, guys
>mfw we draw straws to see who gets to serve the table of Europeans. Lmao

I love Europeans (it doesn't ruin my day when I get a European table), but Jesus Christ guys just fucking tip
>>
>>1090169

>I give the majority of my money for something I'm required from the establishment to receive for free (service)
>I do it because we don't get a lot of money
>I'm too lazy to do my job unless paid more that negotiated with my employer

DAFT
A
F
T
>>
>>1090224
It's already been addressed so many times. I don't lose sleep when someone doesn't tip me. I move on to the next customer and making the killing off everyone else. But I'm extremely good at what I do, selective about where I work, and I know that I'm fortunate.

I make good money in this industry but know many more who only make okay money. I'm not saying subsidize their paychecks, I'm saying pay to fucking play. If you can't afford to tip, either don't go out or look your server in the eye and say "sorry, I'm fucking broke"
>>
>>1090229
The thing is, it shouldn't make a difference if you're not tipped because your employer should cover your earnings if you don't earn minimum wage with what was agreed+your tips.
With tips, you should be able to earn more than minimum wage, but you shouldn't earn less without it.
>>
Nobody expects anyone with and accent or black to tip. They will be thrilled if you round up a buck or two and thank them in english.

If its not food or beer wait till you get your shit back and pay the balance even.

If it your in a touristy place don't tip the lazy fuckers who don't have a trade for continuing painting on the side walk or some bull shit. America is about getting money for nothing embrace it and don't give yours away.
>>
>>1090169
I'm European and I tip almost every time I have a good experience in a restaurant. But mandatory tipping is the most retarded thing and socially pressuring people into tipping is the sole reason this cancer still exists in the industry.

Also I've heard that in many US restaurants tips are only shared by servers. I've worked in both back and front of house and I can assure you that the cook deserves at least as much of a tip as a server. So I'd flat out refuse to keep such a broken system alive out of principle.
>>
>>1090237
I don't disagree with you. But that isn't the case and not tipping your server doesn't change the system.... It stiffs the server. Tipping is in the culture and that's not changing anytime soon.

>>1090246
I don't disagree with you either. There's a reason I tip 30%. I believe in a back of house tipout as well. Everyone wants to barback or bus for me because I give the best tipout anywhere that i work.

It's just the way that things are and I find it funny that the people bitching about it can often be the ones who make as much as the bartenders or servers. Like, what are you really bitching about? Back of house also doesn't get treated like shit by rich ass customers who see servers as beneath them. I know cooks work hard, but if it doesn't pay well enough then find a way to get to the front.
>>
>>1090229
>If you can't afford to tip, either don't go out or look your server in the eye and say "sorry, I'm fucking broke"
Or just don't tip and walk away.

>muh imaginary rules
>>
>>1090360
It's not an imaginary rule. More like a suggestion to treat them as human. Just like I don't ignore people in real life. Or I look anyone I'm about to screw over in the eye and tell them why

The problem with walking away is that you leave them not knowing if they did anything wrong. The least you can do is fucking tell your server they did great (if they did) and say that you just don't agree with tipping culture. Even that is better than just walking away.
>>
>>1089217
You'd earn less than $10/hour? Where are you from?
>>
>>1090164
You absolutely can not tip for shitty service, but they might not take it that way (could just be an asshole who doesn't tip), you'd do better tipping pathetically little, that'd be much more of a statement.
>>
>>1090229
>But I'm extremely good at what I do

Which is walking whilst holding a tray. What the actual fuck do you think you are? My sides have been sent out to discover alien life by your post. Fucking kill yourself, loser. Don't look at me in the eyes at bow every time, servant. No, it's really beyond me when the help acts up.
>>
>>1090414
lol

>mfw I was making 80k by the time I was 20. Was at least 10 years younger than anyone else working where I was, often serving celebrities and important people. Everywhere I go in the world, my experience at all the places I've worked at is recognized and it pays for my travels. I don't know, man, I dropped out of school to treat it like a career and learned a shit ton of stuff about it (my shelf is loaded with books on alcohol history, recipes, etc.) and it's paid off handsomely for me. I make just as much money (if not more) than my office job and my work is officially finished when I clock off.

Am I making decisions that change the world? Nope. But I think it's grossly unfair to say that all I'm doing is holding a tray as I've also helped open 4 venues internationally. I'd love to see you memorize 10 orders at the same time then serve them all to the right people while everyone's screaming at you to try and get served next.

>"Don't look at me in the eyes at bow every time, servant. No, it's really beyond me when the help acts up."
What the actual fuck is wrong with you? lol
>>
Proof? Also why is your shelf loaded with recipes, nobody. You aren't mixing shit, fag. You write down what your clients tell you and then tell it to a competent person. You'd like to see me memorize 10 things? This is your remarkable skillset that got you a prestigious table waiting position? Fucking lol. Hey man. I'll tip from now on, that was a lulzy story and you OBVIOUSLY need the cash. Ayyyyyyy
>>
>>1088145
West Coast here.

10% or less is acceptable for poor service, or places that don't provide service like cafes.

15% is middle of the road, not required (as always) but definetly appreciated

anything above 15% is building goodwill.

Tipping is appropriate whenever the person you're talking to is doing more than taking your money.

Hotels: 2-4 dollars per night-left in room at end
Bars:1 dollar per drink was mentioned earlier, that's pretty good. It's sometimes easier to drop a 5 or 10 dollar tip at the start of the evening.

I used to work in food service and let me tell you, pay was shit but taking home tax free cash at the end of the night was one of the most satisfying things. If you intend to go back to a place, tip well, and if you hit the same waiter the next time they will be very good to you.
>>
>>1090400
>> More like a suggestion to treat them as human,
Ok...Which means that in every country where tipping is not a rule, waiters aren't treated as humans?
ffs
>>
You'll likely never see any of those people again. You don't need to tip.
>>
>>1090795
No it means that if you're not gonna follow custom, then fucking tell them why. It's been said a million times but a lot of countries pay better wages. Ie I'd make the same amount of money in Sweden bartending at a good wage as I woild in the US with a shit wage and decent tips
>>
>>1090019
>friend gets out to pump gas
>THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS YOU MONGOLOID
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>1088145
An easy calculation is to do double what the sales tax is
(American receipts will have a line showing the sales tax above the total)

Here one in front of me. If it were a full service restaurant I would do 0.84x2=$1.68.

It's less autistic if you just round to the nearest dollar tho
>>
>>1088145
Don't tip if you're never going to those places again or travel to the us.
>>
>>Enter a restaurant
>>Order only a US$50 dish
>>Tip 10%
>>Tip=U$5

Another day
>>Go to the same restaurant
>>Order only a US$30 dish
>>Tip 10%
>>Tip=US$3

>>Both times you just ordered one dish.
>>Waiter had the same amount of work.
>>Earns more because one dish costs more.

Ok.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.