[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CHICAGO THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: Bean[1].jpg (807 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Bean[1].jpg
807 KB, 1920x1200
Hey /trv/
I'm visiting my friend in Chicago for a week (Feb 27 - May 6). I've checked out a few websites with lists of things to see and do already, but I'm wondering if there's any natives here who wouldn't mind giving me the inside scoop to a cool dive bar, local bands or some "off the beaten track" things.
>>
>>1084078
Feb 27 - May 6 is a very long week
>>
>>1084126
Well, I arrive Saturday at 4pm and am leaving Sunday at 10am. I'll be in Chicago for 186 hours in total. A week is made up of 168 hours. So I will be in Chicago for one week and 18 hours.

So yes, you're right, that is a very long week.
>>
>>1084078
>>1084199

This should be right up your alley OP:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/st-rose-day-school-for-retarded-children-chicago
>>
File: mozart-txt[1].png (691 B, 146x20) Image search: [Google]
mozart-txt[1].png
691 B, 146x20
>>1084212
thx senpai
>>
Chicago is one of my least favorite cities I've ever been to. Just remember that a few blocks away from any "nice part of town" there is a horrible area where people get murdered regularly.
>>
File: cape-horn-landmark-map.jpg (980 KB, 2700x1800) Image search: [Google]
cape-horn-landmark-map.jpg
980 KB, 2700x1800
>>1084630
not true.
I hate seeing this, chicago is one of the greatest american cities. You would have to walk a long time to get to the worst areas and even then most places aren't that bad; in fact there are many really cool neighborhoods and areas besides the loop that are worth exploring.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1455479366368.jpg (97 KB, 528x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1455479366368.jpg
97 KB, 528x960
I really like Chinatown. My favorite place to eat is probably joy noodle. They have the best bubble tea and the food is pretty amazing. That or the triple crown dim sum place. Pic related, just went to the Chinese New Year parade.

Oh and if you go, you HAVE to go to Saint Anna bakery. It's the best
>>
>>1084642
Hey, thanks for that map. I'll be staying in Pilsen, but I plan on seeing a little bit of select neighbourhoods while I'm there. Thanks dude.

>>1084648
We have a pretty big Chinatown in Toronto, and I live very close to it. I'm definitely going to check it out because I love dim sum. And I just googled Saint Anna bakery and it looks tasty af. Thanks anon.
>>
It's a little ways outside of the city, but the Baha'i temple in Wilmette is really amazing.
>>
>>1084078
Shitcago tries too hard and has a crippling inferiority complex from having lived its entire life in New York's shadow. The city is desperate for an iconic landmark, hence the ugly reflective bean in your pic. Of course the herds of idiot tourists will swarm to it, as will the OP.
>>
File: temple-cover-final[1].jpg (384 KB, 960x588) Image search: [Google]
temple-cover-final[1].jpg
384 KB, 960x588
>>1084676
looks very beautiful anon.
>>
>>1084680
My friend is going to the art school right beside the Bean park, so yeah, I'll probably find myself taking a look in and around the park.
>>
>>1084078
>cool dive bar, local bands or some "off the beaten track" things.

>get on Blue Line
>get off on Damen
>????
>profit!
>>
>>1084630
Dumbest post ive ever seen. I doubt youve been to Chicago in the last 25 years.
>>
>>1084742
Wicker Park was "off the beaten path" 15 years ago. It is almost all boutique trust fund shit now.

>>1084078
I used to pive in the Bucktown neighborhood, near Holstein Park. It is one of the most beautiful residential parts of the city. A great dive bar there is The Corner. The Map Room is one of the city's best beer bars.

Head further west into Humboldt Park/Logan Square if you want to be off the beaten path. My favorite bar in the city is called Best Intentions, but take a cab/uber as its in no mans land. Logan Square is where it's at; check out the Logan Theater as they are always showing good indie and classic movies and they have a bar. Johnny's Grill is a great unassuming breakfast counter.

Ill try to think of more and come back, I recently moved, but dont believe the shitposters who say Chicago is dangerous. As long as you avoid the south side and the west side, and you arent a gangbanger, you will be fine. The north and northwest sides are entire city-sized regions of safety and white people.
>>
OP I was just there with a coworker for a business trip.
There's a dive bar called The Tonic Room, up in halsted. This is the dive bar of dive bars - cheap beer and a fully-graffiti'd bathroom which actually looks pretty cool. We were there on a Tuesday and there was a "hootenanny" where local musicians just rolled in, took stage and played music. It was great.
Another good one to check out is the redhead piano bar - you have to wear something a bit nicer to get in (but we're talking like just a bit fancier than a polo) and there's someone playing a big piano most nights. Good beer options, very mellow environment

If I may recommend a place for drinks...there's a speakeasy lounge called "Untitled" on Kinzie street (I think). It's a tiny black door next to a CVS I believe, and it's one of the best places we bumped into. I took my coworker there without realizing some rooms have strip shows. It's still a great time, and from what I understand they have the biggest selection of whiskey in Illinois - over 500 of them.
There's one other bar named BoHo, which we only stayed for one drink...but it literally is short for Bohemian Home, the decor is pretty out there and the cocktails are very good. Very different.

Anyways check those out...and if you're feeling food and drinks, Slurping Turtle has some great Japanese food and drinks, and Cantina Laredo had amazing Mexican food and excellent tequila flights (this one is right across the street from BoHo)
>>
>>1085404
Holy shit, you are the biggest tourist of all time

OP please do all of these things and be sure to report back on all the out of town business travelers you met

Tonic Room a true dive bar, my fucking sidrs, holy shit I am dying right now
>>
Kumas corner if you like food and heavy metal. Cool place and outstanding food.
>>
>>1085535
>being this much of a faggot without offering any help

Sounds like he had a lot of fun so does it really matter at the end of the day whether you thought what he did was cool enough for you
>>
>>1085726
I posted plenty of recommendations itt. Correcting misinformation is also helpful. I would be furious if i followed that guys advice and characterizations of those places.
>>
>>1084752
The Walgreens across from the blue line station is incredible
With its vitamin safe and 100 year old decor
Prove me wrong
>>
>>1087655
Its cool there, dont get me wrong

But it certainly is not off the beaten path. Its basically all stroller moms and lincoln park trust fund faggots who want to seem edgy because they moved west of the expressway at this point.
>>
>>1084078
Chicago is notorious for some very quality ecstasy pills referred to as "mints." If that's your thing I would definitely suggest you look for them.
>>
>>1087661
As opposed to Logan square and pilsen, which are literally wicker park 25 years ago in terms of douchiness
>>
>>1087671
Depends on what you consider a douche. I'd rather hang in either of those places than wicker park, but thats just me.
>>
>>1087671
>wicker park 25 years ago

my dad (reporter for the sun times back in the day) took me to to Wicker Park to see a Liz Phair show when she was just coming up after the Girlysound tapes and it was cool. I was only 7 or 8, but i have these vivid memories of what those shows were like.

there used to be some serious meatpacking going on in that area. these old poles who spoke no english and had but one skill they could perform in the USA (chopping up animals) would watch these indie rock acts on their lunch breaks. it was very cool, I'm glad my dad dragged my stupid ass to those shows.

either way, that Chicago is long since dead and gone. our last huge immigrant boom happened when the wall fell and the bougie takeover runs rampant. i still love it because it's home and I spent my first 20 years of life there, but its not the great city it once was.
>>
File: railway.jpg (68 KB, 700x246) Image search: [Google]
railway.jpg
68 KB, 700x246
The largest train museum in the US is near Chicago in Union, IL. It's called the Illinois Railway Museum and it has diesel trains and also vintage electric streetcars used on Chicago's El System, many of which still run and can be seen running regularly.

http://www.irm.org/

Also, the Museum of Science & Industry south of downtown has a smaller, but still impressive collection of trains. None of their's run, though.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.