[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I do this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: hfds.png (718 KB, 1120x743) Image search: [Google]
hfds.png
718 KB, 1120x743
Should I do this?
>>
From what I've researched, all the good schools are taught in German
>>
>>1083889
yes, If i didn't already have an undergrad I would. I wish they had free grad programs.

The slight problem is getting in. I believe that is how they make this viable, thousands of people pay the application fee and don't get in.
>>
Pretty sure you must have at least €10,000 per year to support yourself
>>
>>1083918
This is true everywhere regardless of tuition.
>>
>>1083889
The headline is a gross and misleading exaggeration.

I studied in Germany in English. AMA.
>>
>>1084342
Why is it a gross and misleading exaggeration
>>
>>1084344
First of all, nothing is free. There is no tuition in a legal sense, but there are still semester fees you have to pay. Also, as a foreigner you need to have ~8600€ in a German bank account, up front, in a locked account (i.e. no you can't just 'borrow' the money from someone, and transfer it back to them after).

Second, there aren't actually all that many programs, and they only begin at the MA level. The goal is not to have a bunch of ignorant no-German-speaking American freeloaders.

Bachelor programs 'purely' in English are effectively non-existent. When so, they tend to be at shit universities.
>>
>>1084342
I just moved to Germany to study in uni but now I'm just studying German. I'm currently B2 but I can't see myself studying in German.

What did you do, how did you do it, where did you study, what was the application process, how did you keep youself financed, and how was the overall experience? I feel like I have a long road ahead of me.
>>
>>1084355
>The goal is not to have a bunch of ignorant no-German-speaking American freeloaders.
>no-German-speaking freeloaders.

Yet they let hordes of refugees shit up the place.
>>
>>1084360
I don't really want to say the uni or program because it's very small and my anonymity would be gone. But I graduated a few years ago. In western Germany.

I applied from abroad, the uni accepted me. Simple as that. Since I'm from a first-world country (Canada), I could do the rest once I was in Germany. "The rest' meaning getting my student visa (btw, you need ~8600€, paying the uni fees, and so on. I had worked for a few years before starting the MA, so I had money saved up. I also later took out some student loans from Canada (about half paid back now). Germany will not give you a penny, so don't expect anything. I did also later work some part-time jobs, but on a foreign student visa your hours are very limited and you won't be able to make enough to support yourself (the laws are intentionally set up this way).

I enjoyed it, but subjects taught only in English tend not to be very 'useful'. Some business studies, but then the quality of English used is low. Mostly it's Russians (and other non-EU slavs), Chinese and Iranians using these English programs.

The bureaucracy never ends, either...

>>1084363
Merkel did, and the lefty retards cheered her, but the average German citizen is rather skeptical at best. Also, many of the shitskins will be sent back. What Merkel and her shekel-loving Reptilian overlords really want is cheap labour for factories to spur German exports, they don't care about human rights or compassion or whatever. This is about business. Most native-born Germans whose parents worked in factories are not forced to do the same (thanks to generous state policies), so they figure the replacements will be these muzzies.

There was also motivation to prove "Look at us, we're not Nazis! Nope, nosirree, not hate here, not in Germany! We're good guys now right? Look how we even let in hordes of African and Arab refugees without even checking their backgrounds!"
>>
>>1084375
Do you think it would work out better for me if my mother is German and my father is American? I have both German and American citizenship but I lived the majority of my life in America and have an American education. I finished 2 years of Uni in America before I said I can't take it anymore and recently left for Germany. Now I'm here and information is difficult to come across. Am I German or a foreigner? If I am German, can I apply for German student loans such as BaFög? Do I have to have a language test, as all foreign students do even though I was born here? I'm just thankful I don't have to deal with visas but I'm still not sure if I will be academically treated as American or German. Any more info on requirements or deadlines and such will also be appreciated.
>>
>>1084772
If you have a German passport, you're basically Germany. Make sure they don't find out, as they may force you to choose one.

> German student loans such as BaFög?
Probably not, as it's dependant on your parent's income, and if they have never filed German taxes you're shit out of luck. Residency requirements often factor into these things as well.

> Do I have to have a language test, as all foreign students do even though I was born here?
Technically no, but it will create problems for you if you rock up with a German ID but can't speak it at all.

>info on requirements or deadlines and such will also be appreciated.
Only the uni you're applying to can say. Generally in July.
>>
>>1084375
>Merkel did, and the lefty retards cheered her, but the average German citizen is rather skeptical

The right aren't skeptical, they cheer her too. Well, not the skinheads of course, I mean the money-right. You won't find the right-wing media in German criticising her decision because they understand the economics of it.

>What Merkel and her shekel-loving Reptilian overlords really want is cheap labour for factories to spur German exports, they don't care about human rights or compassion or whatever. This is about business

This. Minus the reptile conspiracies and with a lot of skilled labour too. But it's longer term than that.
Many of the migrants will be professionals and their families. These will be skilled workers over the next several decades which will help to address the ageing demographic and help fund retirement welfare for everyone currently working. The soon-to-be elderly were a timebomb that Europe has to deal with, Merkel just set up Germany with an insurance plan that the rest of Europe doesn't have the political will to embrace.

For now, you'll have Syrian doctors and engineers having to work as cleaners and cooks but that will change and they'll recertify or open businesses and the German economy will be booming for decades because of this influx of young workers.
>>
>>1084818
I might have been browsing pol too much but these migrants dont seem to be educated or skilled. Did you mean they'll get educated in Europe and then so all that
>>
>>1083915
Um, the US already has lots of free grad programs. Actually many PhDs are better than free, they actually pay you to be there.
>>
>>1084818
That is all the ideal, of course, but it is an overly very rosy outlook.

As a foreigner living in Germany, I am extremely skeptical it will work that way. The entire German system (k-12 education, post-secondary, job training, job market) is NOT set up in an 'immigrant friendly' way. I could expand on that, but that'll take me another post. Simply put, Germany is not ready for immigration, neither institutionally nor in the hearts of its people. Even your own post proves it.

Some children will advance through the school system and better themselves, perhaps. The majority will not. Germany is not the USA. Uncontrolled immigration is a bad idea (as is currently happening), and the target of 3.6 million Arabs/North Africans/Pakistanis/Sudanese, etc is a horrific thought.

>Many of the migrants will be professionals and their families.
This is not true, as no screening is being done. The majority are young, uneducated or poorly educated men. It sets a very bad precedent.

>Merkel just set up Germany with an insurance plan
Germans do love their insurance, and sure have a knack for fucking their populace over. And now a platform of racist exploitation and arrogance against the will of her people (and of Europe's people).
>>
>>1084890
>This is not true, as no screening is being done. The majority are young, uneducated or poorly educated men. It sets a very bad precedent.

There is screening but it's implicit in the refugee process rather than applied at the borders.

People who become refugees are usually skilled middle-class. That's the screening process.

That's why you end up with ex-university professors driving cabs.
>>
>>1084894
Digging yourself deeper in a hole and totally clueless at the same time.
>>
>>1083889
I applied to eight schools overseas for my Master's (IR and Security issues) so far I've been rejected from Sciences Po and accepted into Kings College London and Charles University in Prague. Waiting on Oxford, LSE, Leiden, grad institute of Geneva, and CEU. Tuition fees varied but pretty much all cheaper than U.S. Masters programs. PHD and undergrad are different stories obviously but for my field it's worth it to get a Masters abroad
>>
>>1083915
>>1084342
How competitive is it for masters programs? What sort of gpa would I need? I'm looking at programs at Freie Universität Berlin and the University of Leiburg.
Is a 3.2 (U.S.) good enough? I don't wanna waste my time/money with the application if not. If it helps, I'm looking specifically at environmental policy programs
>>
>>1085863
>University of Leiburg.
... What? Do you mean Freiburg? There's no such place as Leiburg.

Environmental Policy is not a high demand or tough competitive field, so it doesn't matter. But 3.2 is decent, and should suffice.

FWIW, Freiburg is known for being a green hippie sort of city, in a nice setting. Small town, but plenty of students. FU is a big university, rather impersonal.
>>
>>1085891
3.2 is a stretch for free university of Berlin. If you want to be competitive at the best schools abroad you need minimum 3.5 or ideally 3.75+. of course good internships and letters can make up for lower marks
>>
>>1085921
>FU
>the best schools abroad

3.2 should be fine, this is Germany not Oxbridge. Apply anyway OP. Like I said, the program is probably not flooded with Indian, Iranian, Russian and Chinese students (yet). FWIW, Freiburg, though smaller, might be better luck, since every international student ever will be spamming their applications to Berlin.
>>
>>1084355
>no you can't just 'borrow' the money from someone, and transfer it back to them after
But you can.
>>
>>1085891
sorry, yes I meant Freiburg. Had a friend who studied abroad there during undergrad and only had good things to say. Thanks for the info
>>1086044
I'm actually not OP, but was going to post this thread until I found that someone else did. Thanks for the tips - I figured as much for Berlin, but I'm a part time music producer/enthusiast and I want dat Berghain/Kreuzberg life. Freiburg seems like it'll be great for what I'm looking for (sustainability/environmental policy).
>>
>>1086200
Unless you're being a facetious twat... No, you can't. Student visas are conditional upon a bank account that is locked from making large transfers (you need special once-off permission to do so). You're limited to how much you can withdraw from ATMs per month as well.

Of course, you can always take someone's money and park it there for the duration of your studies if you want. But it's staying there until you're no longer a student.

The only exception is if you have a very lazy incompetent case handler at the Ausländerbehörde who doesn't check your account type, but I have never heard of such a thing.

>>1086232
Not even being über-Hipster, but Berlin is overrated as fuck.
>>
>>1084355
Germany doesn't have shit universities. They may have small universities, but never shitty or low quality education. It's Germany you're talking about.
>>
>>1087040
Yea, OK Kevin.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.