[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japan General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20
File: Fukuoka1.png (3 MB, 1824x1232) Image search: [Google]
Fukuoka1.png
3 MB, 1824x1232
New Japan General:

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your wee fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/

*Note about the JR Rail Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1075736
>>
Reponting for New thread:
Hey guys, male peruvian applying to a full Masters degree scholarship in Nipland.

Once there, What can I expect?

>167cm
>25y
>Semi White
>good looking
>Huge weeb unfortunetly
>>
recommended budget for a month long trip? don't plan to spend that much and would like to do a couple of days of hiking mostly in cold places
>>
anyone know how to get a japanese pen pal? I'd love to visit tokyo someday but not without a local who could show me around a bit. I'd be willing to do the same if they want to visit my town (in Texas).
>>
>>1080025
>167cm
LADDY WEW
>>
>>1080025
>167
>good looking
well good luck, at least you'll be competing with guys who are just a little bit taller than you
>>1080028
I spent 5000€ for 7 weeks the last time with flights and everything. Could do cheaper if you don't spend dosh on hookers and booze
>>1080038
interpals
>>
>>1080051
I don't drink so booze is out of the questions, hookers and massage parlor are in the budget i guess

unless you tell me it's possible to hook up with jap girl being a somewhat attractive dude
>>
Anybody here in Japan with the US military? Or even better, anyone a DOD civilian in Japan?

I'm trying to figure out if I can get a license when I get over there, but it looks like I might fall through the cracks if 1. I can't get a gaijin card 2. Non-SOFA personnel.

I'd also be interested in getting an apartment, but I'd probably run into the same problem. Is renting (temporarily) without a lease a thing in Japan?

Also, any possibility of buying a Japanese smartphone without a Gaijin card?
>>
>>1080060
All I know is you can go to gaijinpot.com to look for apartments that are meant for short term gaijin.
>>
Can someone give me a rundown on how to enter an Onsen? I have honestly no idea what to expect there and how to behave, and my Japanese is shaky at best.
>>
>>1080054
anything's possible, it's not like they don't have genitals over there
>>1080067
http://matadornetwork.com/trips/beginners-guide-to-the-japanese-onsen/

this pretty much covers it
>>
How are the tourists in Kyoto? I would like to visit because of the old feel of Japan and visit shrines and museums.
>>
>>1080080
What do you mean? When I visited Kyoto, I didn't run into many other tourists at all. Or if there were many there, they were asian and indistinguishable from the japanese tourists for the most part.

Was approached by one school aged japanese kid and did a quick survey, that was in front of Kyoto Station.

There are some really nice parts of town that have the feel I imagine you're looking for, but from the most part, it looks like a modern (not super modern) city. That's one thing that struck me, as I was anticipating something that looked much older.
>>
>>1080083
Ya, the amount of foreigners, when I travel I don't really like being around other tourists, and I had thought there might be quite a few tourists there due to it being more of a traditional Japanese place nor had I read anything about the amount of non-Japanese tourists. Thanks for the answer though.
>>
>>1080085
>when I travel I don't really like being around other tourists

You are what your are. Why act like your shit doesn't stink. Stop acting like a special snowflake Realtraveler™
>>
>>1080096
Agree with this guy desu, but don't want the thread to devolve into a shit show, so to each his own.

>>1080085
I've been a few places in Japan and never saw a whole lot of foreigners. Obviously we all stick out and if there is somebody, you'll probably notice them. That said, I don't think japan is a popular destination for the kind of people you're probably looking to avoid. Obviously we're all weebs here, so Japan is a popular destination for anons. Overall, it probably won't ruin your experience, but know, you certainly aren't the first or last gaijin to be there. You may in fact come to look forward to chance meetings with English speakers. Arr rook same gets kinda old eventually.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uC4AUyju7k
Obligatory for any foreigners travelling to japan.
>>
I'm a normalfag going to Tokyo with a friend for 5 days in July. Been living in South Korea for a year, so I don't want to waste time doing things I could just do in SK (such as temples, similar foods, large shopping complexes) what things are there to do that are specifically found only in Tokyo? I'll be going to Akihabara, Shibuya, and Shinjuku of course, what else is good?
>>
>>1080123
>I don't want to waste time doing things I could just do in SK (such as temples, similar foods, large shopping complexes)

Unlike in Korea, temples and shrines in Japan tend to be more unique and actually historical. In Korea they tend to just be cookie cutter reconstructions. In my opinion, you would definitely be missing out to not pop by Toshogu shrine in Ueno park and Sensoji in Asakusa. Toshogu is a hidden gem. It has this awesome golden door and was actually built in the Edo period a few hundred years ago. It's not a tourist hotspot. Asakusa is tourist Mecca, but just enter the temple through the side to avoid the crowds and line of trinket stores. I would also recommend Yasukuni shrine, even though it's controversial. The area around the shrine is nice. Sometimes on your approach there's this cozy and intriguing flea market where you might be able to find cool stuff. The museum run by the shrine is also worth seeing. It's biased and distorts history, but still a good place to see cool military artifacts.

I like Korea, but Japan's temples and shrines are way cooler than Koreas. Don't think you'll be getting the same thing.

>similar foods
Other than the use of white rice, Japanese food is not very similar to Korean food.

As for other things you can't do in Korea... Take a day trip to Kamakura to see the giant Buddha (it's like 800 years old). Try to see traditional Japanese threatre? (Kabuki, Noh?) Given that Shibuya and Shinjuku are largely just shopping complexes, I'd say for Shinjuku--drink in Golden Gai and walk around Kabuki-cho, for Shibuya, go to the gyaru cafe. Given that gyaru is a Japan exclusive subculture, you won't find that kind of thing in Korea.
>>
Fucking decapitated beetles all over the golf course, god damn.
>>
Trying again in this thread. Anyone know where to get weaboo mugs in Akihabara? Or anywhere in Tokyo really? I've tried Nakano Broadway and Ikebukuro (Sunshine City and surrounding anime shops) and I found one place off the main street of Akihabara that sold a couple Neon Genesis ones. Would really like to find more though.
>>
>>1080137
The places in Akihabara that i had the most luck with things like these were the small not as brightly lit shops squished to the sides. Some of em didn't really have a noticeable sign or logo, but step inside and holy shit they got treasure.
>>
Anyone been to Onomichi? Trying to figure out where to stop between Hiroshima and Kobe

>>1080137
Mandarake stores or even regular thrift stores might be a good place to look. From what I've seen even regular thrift stores have a lot of anime merch for pennies
>>
Visiting Tokyo in August. What's the best way to stay? Capsule? Hostel? Hotel?
>>
>>1080149
I prefer AirBnB. A lot of places offer free pocket wifi with your stay and can be really cheap. If you want alone space go with that if you want to meet people from around the world and party then hostel.

Tokyo is really hot in summer though so make sure it has air conditioning or find a hostel that has it.
>>
>>1080152
Thanks!
>>
>>1080138
>>1080148
So basically nowhere easy? Luckily I'm staying in Akihabara this time around so I'll have more time to walk around and scope places out. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>1080051
>interpals
man that website is broken as fuck
>>
So me and my friend are going to nipland in a year, for two weeks, the plan is to stay in tokyo but also visit kyoto and osaka to see cool shit, and wed be going in july so we can hike mt fuji. Since we'd be travelling a lot, im assuming the jr pass would be pretty worth it? And do you need a visa to get the jr pass? Im a burgerfat so i dont need one to visit, but its possible to get one? That parts been confusing my tiny brain to figure out. Thanks /jpg/
>>
>>1080172
You don't need a visa. You do need to have the pass in hand before you go to Japan.
>>
>>1080172

There's so much wrong with your post that I hardly know where to begin.

1. Learn to spell, punctuate,and capitalize, please. Stop writing like a child.
2. Try to have some pride in yourself. Don't refer to yourself as a "burgerfat." It doesn't make you kewl, and it won't make the Europeans or anyone else like you. If you don't respect yourself no one else will respect you.
3. The JR Pass is worth it if you plan on doing a lot of train travel on JR rail lines (yes, there are other rail lines in Japan). Generally, taking at least 3 round-trip journeys, with each leg at least 2 or 3 hours long, makes the pass worth it. To be sure in your own case, you need to calculate this for yourself, using your own itinerary.
4. Yes, you do need a visa to visit Japan. You will receive said visa when you arrive at a Japanese airport.
5. You need to buy the JR pass outside of Japan; you cannot buy it in that country. Having or not having a Japanese visa has nothing to do with it.
6. This board is /trv/. It's not /jpg/.
7. Don't insult the Japanese unless you have a damn good reason for doing so -- and only after having lived in (or at least visited) the place. Clueless little fucks who casually toss around terms like "nipland" deserve no mercy.

tl;dr Grow up, you little shit. Yes, my jimmies are rustled.
>>
>>1080174
>You do need to have the pass in hand before you go to Japan.

No, you need to order/pay for the pass before you arrive in Japan. After arrival you pick up the pass at a JR office (usually at a major train station).
>>
>>1080178
You have to have a voucher that says you paid, no? I remember that being kind of a big deal.

I actually bought mine while in japan, but it was through a company in France I think, and they mailed me a voucher.
>>
>>1080176
1. Im good
2. really man, im good, i swear
3. no need to be condescending, but thanks for the advice, I appreciate it
4. "A visa is NOT necessary for US passport holders visiting Japan for a short-term stay of less than 90 days with the purpose of tourism and business." so is this wrong? from the official us government website. not trying to be condescending, just confused.
5. well, sort of. to apply for the pass, you must meet certain criteria. it is processed by the government of japan. without certain criteria, you cant purchase/use the pass. i was confused by the wording of "visa" on a lot of the japanese websites.
6. the board is /trv/ the thread is japan general. or /jpg/.
7. lol
>>
>>1080178
I'm on the JTB site right now ordering my JR pass and it looks like they're shipping something to me is it just the voucher or the actual pass?
>>
>>1080183
A "visa" is just a stamp or sticker or card. They will give you one when you enter, and either strap you out or remove the card when you leave.

It's not that it doesn't exist, it's really just "visa on arrival".

They say this to contrast with say, the PRC, where you must apply in advance, for the visa.
>>
File: asd.jpg (144 KB, 697x351) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
144 KB, 697x351
I'm thinking about going next year, so far i have planned something like this. Mostly bit tweaked itineraries from japan-guide.
I'm bit uncertain about Nikko, for a day trip there seems to be awful lot of travel included, especially if you want to move up to the lake.
Next is mount Koya, is it still worth a visit if i'm not gonna spend night there?
>>
>>1080185
Many vendors are authorized to sell JR passes, you don't need to go through someone who doesn't soak your language if you don't want to, firstly.

They are sending you a voucher, which you take to a JR office once you arrive in Japan who will exchange it for the pass.

A good website/company would have explained that.
>>
I'm in Japan atm doing some volunteer work, I will have a full month in Tokio and no plan on what to do in my free time (not big fan of anime). I checked meetup.com but 99% is pretty gay stuff. Any advice?
>>
>>1080188
Did a day trip to Koya myself, it's quaint and quiet although unfortunately it rained the whole time I was there. I'd recommend the audio guide. Koya's worth it for the day visit alone in my opinion, didn't try overnight there though.
>>
How do you survive a 13+ hour flight?

I can't imagine sitting for that long, and walking the aisle doesn't sound appealing.
>>
I'm planning on travelling to Japan near the end of the month and want to stay in or around Tokyo for the most part. I've been looking into short-term language schools and was wondering if anyone has experience with these as i want to improve my Japanese.

I'm also curious as to how much luggage people normally bring on short-term stays for a few months. I was going to keep it down to only a backpack and another luggage bag for clothes etc.

tl;dr about to get fucked up as I've never travelled anywhere out of country except Canada (am in US), and am semi-freak-out mode lol.

(I can read/speak Japanese decently well though)
>>
>>1080188
>I'm thinking about going next year, so far i have planned something like this. Mostly bit tweaked itineraries from japan-guide.

You plan that stuff 1 year ahead a time? I am going to fly to japan next week, havent even started yet lol.
>>
I arrive at Kansai Airport around 10:15 pm at night and factoring in customs (~ 1 hour) I don't know if I can get the train to a cheap place to sleep since everything shuts down at midnight

Does anyone know if they let you sleep in the airport?
>>
>>1080183
What do you mean "lol". Not the same guy who responded before, but if you're showing such little regard and making a mockery of Japan by calling it Nipland why are you even interested in going? I mean if they're just a bunch of "Nips" afterall? You are a regrettably immature person...
>>
>>1080166
broken? Last time I checked it was still working pretty well. If you mean that 99% of girls will immediately be messaged by some creepy arabs or indians asking for sex, nudes or marriage, then yes, that's right
>>1080188
would cut either Nikko or Kamakura and spend more time in Tokyo. You have 3 days in Tokyo, compared to 2 days in Kyoto and Takayama.

Personally I would do 1 week Tokyo with a side trip to Kamakura, then 4-5 days Kyoto with side trips and then maybe a bit of Hiroshima
>>1080191
I did participate in 3 meetups but I still have my anal virgnity, not sure where you found all the gay stuff desu

Are you looking for events with other people or just things to do for yourself?
>>1080214
just ask the captain to make a quick stop at the gas stop

Like what do you think? Sit down, maybe take some sleeping meds beforehand and just endure it. Be glad you don't have to take a 3 month trip by ship or horse
>>1080217
>I'm also curious as to how much luggage people normally bring on short-term stays for a few months. I was going to keep it down to only a backpack and another luggage bag for clothes etc.

I had one huge backpack 55L, that was around 3/4 filled. Was in summer though, so you might need a bit more for winter

Tokyo's cool, have fun m8
>>1080225
yes, slept at both Kansai and Haneda, both times no problemo
>>
>>1080214
Sleeping is always great. If possible start your journey tired and sleep through the flights. Also try to stay hydrated for a number of reasons.
>>
>>1080060
Can you go a little more into detail about preparing to be in the military in Japan? I hate to admit it but I've been contemplating joining the Air Force to be able to have money for school and to spend time in Japan if the opportunity arises. I've been wondering about what kind of jobs would be available on a base but I haven't spoken to a recruiter yet.
>>
File: placestogo.png (105 KB, 1357x441) Image search: [Google]
placestogo.png
105 KB, 1357x441
How's the japan section of my bucket list looking? Anything I should add or anything not worth seeing that I should take off? I'm not into Anime or any of that really but I want to see old Japanese culture like the melancholy art and old architecture in their temples. I'm also interested in their nature like mount Fuji or Nara deer park. I want to see some cherry blossoms as well I heard those are there, maybe some well maintained Japanese gardens idk. What are good places for that?
>>
>>1080214
Get an aisle seat, bring your laptop, and try to avoid the movie theater for a couple of months. The planes usually get movies that have just left theaters or are about to leave theaters that havent yet come out on blu-ray. I can never sleep on planes and don't even notice the length of the plane trip anymore
>>
>>1080214
Bring earplugs, eyemask, maybe an inflatable pillow. Try to set a watch for the time it is in your destination and only sleep when it's time to sleep there if you can it will help you adjust a bit to jet lag.

I can't sleep well on planes unless I take Melatonin and it gives me a better sleep than booze.
>>
>>1080268
Are you talking about the Japan or US military? Pretty sure you can't join Japan's unless you're a citizen which is a huge process onto itself
>>
File: EYzja07 - Imgur.gif (3 MB, 256x294) Image search: [Google]
EYzja07 - Imgur.gif
3 MB, 256x294
>>1080131
Honestly i've been to both places and korea doesn't hold a candle to japan in terms of almost everything. Maybe i had imagined korea being "slightly cheaper version of japan" but its more like "Slight cheaper, More impolite, Poorer quality version of a shitty district of tokyo"

I know i sound like im just hating but im sure some people can agree (that have been to both places)

That being said i haven't lived in either place just 2-3 weeks in both , and i made friends with locals and hung out but even japanese people were alot more polite/fun. I felt a TON more excluded when i went to korea even though they were my "friends" even if temporary.
Some people say the politeness in japan is "fake" but does that even matter? How often is your politeness 100% genuine? atleast you go out of your way to be polite instead of being rude/inconsiderate by default.

That all being said , Definitely go bar hopping with a bunch of local in tokyo
>>
>>1080306
The U.S. military.
>>
>>1080232
Where do you sleep in airport? Is there a specific place?
>>
>>1080176
relax, dude. he's kidding and youre not the savior of the dinks.
>>
I know it's kind of a weeb question, but how would I go about traveling to Japan looking for a job, any job

I dont wanna move for weeb reasons it's jsut that I don't see myself living here for the rest of my life and I can relate to their lifestyle, politeness and way of thinking in general

I'm a PE teacher and currently in college studying International Relations/Affairs (so I could either teach some sports, work in a gym maybe or anything else, actually, I would love a mundane job)

I can move through Japan without a "visa upon arrival" for 90 days

If it's a stupid question please just don't be too rude or hurtful, not today

Thanks
>>
>>1080319
no, just chill on the benches pretty much. Maybe try to find a quieter corner so you won't be disturbed when somebody walks past you
>>1080336
are you from an English speaking country? Could teach English once you finish your degree
>>
>>1080343
No, I'm from a Spanish speaking country. I know people from my country that teach spanish at soe school, but If I had to teach I'd rather teach PE and sports, although I could do some research about teaching spanish

Also, I'll have two degrees once I finish my current course, so could also do some consulting work for international businesses, NGO

Tho, as I said, I wouldn't mind any kind of work
>>
File: approach to inari.jpg (637 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
approach to inari.jpg
637 KB, 1920x1440
>>1080080
It's full of tourists, especially popular sites like Kiyomizu, Kinkakuji, Fushimi Inari, Gion, etc...

Lots of Koreans and Chinese and quite a few Westerners, too. No arabs or black people.

If you see someone wearing a Kimono or done up as a Geisha, it's probably a tourist.

If you stray from the popular sites, you're suddenly on your own. Go visit some lesser-known shrines or gardens.
The situation in Hiroshima, Tokyo, etc. was almost always the same.
>>
How could I get girls over there? I'd love to take a break from my job in a year or two and teach there for a year (typical I'm sure) and I'm more interested in having a girlfriend rather than racking up a body count. Any tips or experiences? Thanks. If it matters I'm pretty good looking, tall, can talk to girls easily in the US.
>>
>>1080402
If you can talk to girls in the US then it is a pretty similar concept in Japan. Bar culture is pretty strong. As long as you are not autistic you can pick up Japanese girl.
>>
>>1080411
Are they decent to date? Not to generalize but it seems most american girls are too self absorbed, hypocritical, selfish, etc. (at least the majority of the ones ive met). Same kind of culture over there or not?
>>
>>1080232
>>>1080191 (You)
>I did participate in 3 meetups but I still have my anal virgnity, not sure where you found all the gay stuff desu

For example, I'm checking things for march and you have: badminton, book club, german practice night, kniting ..wtf
>>
>>1080314
Regardless, this is not a "shit on Korea" board, it's a Japan board, so I try to keep your comments about "shitty" Korea to yourself. They serve no purpose.

>>1080336
>I'm a PE teacher and currently in college studying International Relations/Affairs

What country are you from? You don't need a college degree to be a PE teacher where you're from?

>I don't see myself living here for the rest of my life and I can relate to their lifestyle, politeness and way of thinking in general

I have lived in Tokyo almost 9 years, and I can tell you that you sound quite ignorant when you say things like this. I like Japan and I like Japanese people, but I can all but assure you that as a western person you will come to find much you do not like, much that frustrates you and much you have a problem with. If you just live in Japan for 1-3 years and don't learn the language much you probably won't become acquainted with much of it, but if you're planning for the long hall, be objective and don't come here with stars in your eyes.

As for jobs, you will not find work in Japan apart from English teaching unless you have very good Japanese ability, and/or you are highly skilled or a entrepreneur/business person with capital.

It sounds like you'd be fine teaching English so I'd go with that. Most English teaching jobs you can apply to outside of Japan.

>>1080402
Lol if I had a dollar for every "tall, good looking" guy asking how to get Japanese girls in these threads.... Seems like every guy considers himself "tall and good looking" Ha. Anyway, look man, in the age of Tinder and dating sites it's easier than ever to find girls to date anywhere, and Japan is no exception to this rule. Most Japanese girls using Tinder speak English.
>>
>>1080464
I know, man. When I was writing that I felt like an idiot. I guess I'm more looking to find out how they are compared to American women by and large. Are they open to dating white guys? I've heard they're pretty xenophobic.
>>
>>1080466
>Are they open to dating white guys?

I believe I already basically answered that question in so many words.

Most Japanese girls are not interested in dating foreigners, but plenty are. Generally the ones with higher English ability.

I hate generalizing, but-- compared to Western girls, Japanese girls tend to be: "sweeter"/"cuter". I put these in quotes because I'm not trying to make a value judgement about it. Some people might like this, others might be turned off by it. More traditionally feminine. Worse then even western girls when it comes to being honest about their feelings or telling you what's on their mind. They are more indecisive.
>>
>>1080468
Okay, thanks for taking the time to answer. I appreciate it.
>>
>>1080464
>What country are you from? You don't need a college degree to be a PE teacher where you're from?

Yes, I have a degree in education already, what I meant is that I'm in my second course to get a different unrelated degree

>I have lived in Tokyo almost...

Besides my mom and aunt, I have nothing else here. And ofc I won't go with star in my eyes.

I plan to visit and stay for a month or more next year to see if I like it. It's not the only country I'm considering, and once I finish my second course I should be able to work for all sorts of international organizations or even my own country regarding its international affairs.

Regarding the language, I'm on my first year and thankfully I'm a quick learner, ofc I won't be fluent by the time I arrive to Japan, but I don't plan to move during my first visit to the country, it's more of a scouting trip and obviously as a tourist too

Thanks for your input and may I ask what do you do for a living? And how hard was it for you to move there.

If it adds sth I don't really care for the big cities, I would like teaching or working in smaller cities, maybe the colder ones.

I have a few more questions, if it's okay with you, tell me and I'll ask
>>
>>1080474
I work for an international law firm.

As you have a state teaching certification, I would try to get employment at an international school or something. You could be a gym teacher.

Feel free to ask any questions you want.
>>
>>1080482
Actually, my question is very related to what you said

If I move before finishing my current courese and only with my teaching degree, how would I go about getting to teach gym at schools over there. My certification is national (it allows me to teach all over my country, but keep in mind I'm not american).

What I mean about getting to teach in japanese schools is, how would I start the search for work. In my country we have private schools where you go door to door handing your resume or by knowing someone who works in that school. Or for public schools where you have to enlist in some sort of school disctrict councils

I don't know what you mean with international schools, they aren't a thing here. Maybe if you could tell me more, I could do some research

And thanks for taking your time to answer
>>
Interested in going to Tokyo for a around a week. The thing is, I'm terrified of the trains and was wondering if everything is accessible on foot. Maybe my opinion will change from The airport-->my hotel, but right now the idea just scares the hell out of me.
>>
>>1080504
>I'm terrified of the trains
In Tokyo you shouldn't be everything is very clean, people are polite and keep to themselves and the rides are smooth. Announcements are done in Japanese and English so you know what stop you are at. If you are unsure of where to go make sure you have wifi and all trains are on google maps.
>>
>>1080507
Does google maps actually have navigation for inside the stations themselves?
>>
>>1080510
Unfortunately no though a the very least it tells you what number platform to go to which is something.

It's been 3 years since I've been there though so maybe some major stations have more detailed mapping now.
>>
does anyone know of any good audio tapes\books to learn some basic japanese
>>
>>1079829
cool, i've got a bachelors degree, from an australian universtiy

where can i apply to be an english teacher?
>>
where can i find the cougars in japan? I want to bang some old chicks
>>
>>1080545
literally everywhere. The English education in Japan is garbage so the only people that can speak it at a decent level are above 30, lived overseas, or are literally the smartest peopel in the coutnry
>>
>>1080448
didn't know badminton was gay, will refrain from playing it from now.

Just join one of the huge meetup groups and go to the international parties. I went to 2 of those and once it was an outdoor picknick in yoyogi park at night with drinks and the other time it was kind of a home party with an open bar. Always a decent mix of Japanese who want to practice their English and other foreigners
>>1080504
>I'm terrified of the trains
first time I heard that. You mean terrified of them crashing or navigating on them? If in doubt, just stick to the "main" line, the Yamanote and it will bring you to pretty much all the important tourist places.

That said, Tokyo is not too bad on foot if you don't mind a lot of walking and I'm sure you'd discover a lot of nice things on the way
>>1080522
Michel Thomas/Pimsleur (ideally in that order)
>>
DEATH TO WHITEY!!
>>
>>1080217
Check out Genki school in Shinjuku. Not the cheapest but ridiculously good.
>>
File: Capture.png (2 MB, 932x916) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2 MB, 932x916
>>1080389
>>
>>1080482
>>1080485
bump, please
>>
>>1080624
probably indonesians
>>
How do I join the Yakuza?
>>
>>1080643
Or the Bōsōzoku for that matter.
>>
>>1080644
chop your pinky and get a shitton of geisha tattoos, then go to japan and pretend you always were part of the yakuza
>>
>>1080638
Is it even possible for a foreigner to do that?
>>
>>1080649
to be Indonesian? yes I think so
>>
>>1080650
Soz, replied to a wrong post. I meant to ask about Yakuza. Organisations like these always struck me as very nationalistic in their roots
>>
>>1080217
Theres two types of classes. Once a week volunteer classes that are extremely cheap (free to 500 yen a class) and the super intense 5 day a week all day Japanese only classes that are pretty expensive but basically guarantee you go from nothing to N2 or some basics to N1 in a year. Either way Japanese education in the US is garbage and my volunteer classes I went to were actually more helpful than my college classes.
>>
>>1080230
you're definitely the same person. look around, we're on fucking 4chan, if you're that easily offended how are you coming here?
>>
>>1080643
Join an international crime syndicate in your home country and ask to get transferred in.
>>
>>1080674
Well there are more options than that.

And overall, I would be wary of courses that make claims like N2/N1 in a year from nothing to almost nothing. I haven't seen any school guaranteeing that, and if it did I would want a full money back guarantee--I don't pass N2 by the end--first try--I get my whole tuition back.

Generally, no school is going to make that claim or that guarantee, as everyone has different natural aptitude and different work ethic.

Going from nothing to N2/N1 in a year would obviously require you be a full time student of only Japanese. To say nothing of the extra review and practice you'd have to commit to outside of the classroom to solidify everything.

Also, any course that intensely focuses on the JLPT to get you to those levels in a year is potentially lacking in a big, as the JLPT does NOT test speaking. Anyone who intensely focuses on passing the JLPT is very likely in danger of seeing their practical, conversational Japanese and production skills be well behind their reading and writing.

To the guy who asked, there many kinds of options for Japanese classes. You can go once a week, three times a week, every day, etc. There are classes that focus on different things.
>>
>>1080835
None of them guarantee it, that would be dumb of them. But I knew a number of people who were enrolled in such programs. You were expected to sign up for the test twice during the year and literally all your classmates are prepping and studying for the test.

Plus the classes are taught in Japanese, which is what makes all the classes that much more effective than their American counterparts. Usually the teachers have some English competency but you quickly stop relying on English when your teacher can barely speak it. So you get the speaking component as well.
>>
>escorts buisness that is full of ugly women

this is my fetish. Has anyone heard of of this buisness?

http://www.deadball.biz/

i wonder if the allow forgiengers
>>
Hey guys, Never been to Japan before but traveled most of south east asia so not asking for to much advice I like the live and learn approach.

Me and my partner got 3 weeks off in August so just booked flights today, is there any events, occasions, that we should be aware of attending on in this time?

Also pocket wifi, http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com best looking I've found unless other advice from those already traveled.

Having 2 Japanese/Yakuza based sleeves and chest tattoos am I going to get much laughs at my expense or questions?

Cheers.
>>
>>1080879
>partner
Triggered

You stand a good chance of being denied entry to an onsen with tattoos like that.
>>
>>1080879
>my partner

What is even the point of saying it this way.
>>
>>1080879
>Japanese/Yakuza based sleeves
That's rather specific. But yeah you're not getting into public onsen. It might work if you're clearly not Asian. Otherwise book a place that has a private onsen.
>>
>>1080895
>It might work if you're clearly not Asian.

Nope. They don't make exceptions for foreigners on the tattoos thing.
>>
File: 1445552409360.jpg (39 KB, 600x471) Image search: [Google]
1445552409360.jpg
39 KB, 600x471
What are the recommended nightclubs to go to in Tokyo?
>>
I am planning to visit Japan in the beginning of September for 3 weeks with my girlfriend. So far I think we will visit Tokyo, Kyoto , Osaka, Himeji Castle, Hiroshima, Miyajima, rabbit island and the black crow castle. I plan to stay a week in Tokyo and then to spend 2 weeks in the remaining places. Do you think it is too much time for everything? Most of the remaining places are like 1-day attraction max, but I dont want to end up in a hurry to visit everything

Also, what is the good time to start making hostel reservations? It looks like a lot of hostels are taking reservations only for incoming 3 months, so I guess it is too early to make reservations now if I can get something better around June?

And last question - how much should I count for food everyday? Something around 3000 jpy seems reasonable. I do not plan to eat anything fancy- but I dont want to end up eating fast food.
>>
Is actually being an english teacher in japan doable? I imagine that there'd be a lot of people who want to do this.

Do I need a specific teaching degree to teach english there, or so long as I have a degree am I good?

Do I need to know Japanese to get a english teaching job there or no? Yes, it's stupid, but I'm curious.
>>
>>1080904
It's really a shit job. There are plenty of weebs on 4chan who might like to, yes, but from what I can tell, it's not super difficult to get a job. You don't need a specific degree. You don't need to know japanese. You can probably get a better job if you have better qualifications though.
>>
>>1080893
>>1080895

That's alright kind of figured things like that with trying to parade it around in front of the traditional might be off limits.

>>1080894
Autism.
>>
>>1080904
You do not need a specific degree just a bachelors. You do not need to know Japanese.

>>1080907
>It's really a shit job
>from what I can tell

If you've never done it, please do not comment about whether or not it's a shit job.

To the person who asked. The best bet for a starter ESL job in Japan is to try out for JET. Pretty do nothing job with a pretty nice salary at 300,000 a month. Another good bet is ECC. 250,000 a month but you only work 6 hour days. AEON is okay depending on your location and manager. 272,000 a month starting bumps up to 290,000 after a year. But you will work a 10 hour day. Still can be a solid 3rd choice option if the other two don't work out.
>>
>>1080897
Or more specifically, Shibuya and Roppongi

Please respond
>>
>>1080820
Sounds like a solid setting for a hilarious story.
>>
>>1080158
Animate has newly released anime merchandise. They'll have some mugs there. There are other stores around that sell merchandise and many sell used goods as well. Just go inside and have a look to see if they have anything you like. I wouldn't call it "nowhere easy", but yes, there isn't an 'Anime Mug Store' or anything.
>>
File: 1454396352067.png (171 KB, 374x347) Image search: [Google]
1454396352067.png
171 KB, 374x347
Where's the best place to buy prepaid data sim cards? Will the airport do or would I be better off buying from a Yodobashi store?
>>
>>1080188
Seems like a decent itinerary for somebody who likes to move around and do as much sightseeing as possible before heading back home. If you're not going to look at what exactly you'll be doing during those day trips, there will still be some exploring to it as well, which is nice. Personally I wouldn't like a vacation where every activity is written down beforehand and I'd have to be doing exactly what's on the list. However, you might want to add just a few more specific activities (like going to the aquarium) or at least have a small list of what things you can do at each different place.

It's still a whole damn year before you're heading there, though, and you say you're "thinking about going", which means nothing is definite right now. I think you did a good job on your itinerary (especially compared to some I've seen last thread), but maybe you should just let it rest for at least half a year or something, or until you actually reserved tickets.
>>
Planning a trip to Niigata in December. Spending about 10 days there. Travelling with family, 4 old adults(~50s), the rest young adults and teens. I have my eyes set on Yuzawa New Otani hotel (http://www.japanican.com/en/hotel/detail/3142001/?so=rc#tabContainer01) for the first 3 or so days of the stay for skiing and hot springs. Looking around on Google hasn't told me much about the place other than the city, which I'm not fond of spending time in. What are the other places I should check out while I'm over there? Should I get the seven day pass?
>>
Any Good Internet/Manga Cafes near Akiba I could crash to get a few hours of sleep? I;m planning to go Mogra clubbing for one Anison Matrix in April and want a place to get a nap before continuing my day.

Also can you book a cubicle of manga cafe in advance as i read that many websites recommend going early as weekends easily becomes fully booked.

Also anyone been to Anison Matrix or Mogra before to share their experience? Any experience on scalpers or getting resale concert tickets would be great too.
>>
>>1080624
Oh for fucks sakes don't tell me muslims are invading japan now. Indonesians ARE muslims.
>>
>>1081064
normally i'd call you a fucking idiot but seeing how the influx of syrian migrants into my city has made me pretty worried about walking around at night (german city) i have to say... is it like that in america when mexicans came?
>>
>>1080989
Two things.
First, you should also consider Japan Rail East's 5-days-out-of-14 limited area rail pass. See https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass_n/

Second, take a look at Sado Island as a possibility. I haven't been there myself, but it might be interesting.
>>
Is it easy to get ecstasy in Japan? In the clubs?
>>
How much is a typical hostel in Tokyo? Or Osaka?
>>
Is Tokyo Disneyland or Tokyo Disneysea worth going to?

One of my friends wants to check it out because the tickets are so cheap compared to the Disneyland in California.
>>
I'm not a weeaboo, Japanophile, or even a huge womanizer. I'm just interested in getting experience working in an Eastern context.

Is it feasible to come as an English a speaking foreigner and get a temp job for 3-9 months? Particularly in IT/Cyber-security?

I have several CompTIA certificates, as well as a BA in English, so I would guess I could also look at teaching English as well as IT. I know zero Japanese, though.
>>
>>1081134
Rather, I speak little to no Japanese. Forgive formatting; on mobile while sitting in NYC traffic.
>>
File: dbmtdlpopcorn32.jpg (527 KB, 650x441) Image search: [Google]
dbmtdlpopcorn32.jpg
527 KB, 650x441
>>1081120
I've only been been to Tokyo Disneyland and it's kind of just Disneyland Anaheim but about a decade behind. If it has all the rides you like then check it out. Kind of cool to hear some stuff with the Japanese audio tracks. The parades are super popular there and people spread out with blankets along the parade routes an hour in advance. Crazy popcorn flavors are popular there and you see a lot of people carrying commemorative popcorn "purses" to get refills.

I hear that DisneySea is worthwhile because there's no other Disney park like it. Still kicking myself I chose to go to Land instead of that one.
>>
>>1080413
Women in Japan are fundamentally different than women in the United States because of genetics and culture. The problems that you experience with women in the United States literally will not occur with women in Japan because it is the women that are the problem and not your dysfunctional personality and lifestyle.

t. Alberto Barbosa
>>
>>1080643
>>1080644
1. Be Barakumin.
2. Internalize your lack of pure Yamato genes an heritage.
3. Become a trouble-maker and petty criminal during your school years.
4. After a serious run-in with the law realize that you were destined for a life of crime.
5. Join up with the local Yakuza and run a racketeering scheme.
6. Fuck hookers until you're an old man.

You might not be able to get past step 1 without being reincarnated.
>>
>>1081084
No. There are a lot of people that smoke weed and take MDMA in Tokyo but they are very insular. There aren't any street drug dealers that sell to strangers.
>>
>>1081084
No. Don't ask, don't look for it. There are plenty of places where ecstasy and other drugs are much easier to find and use than in Japan. Why are there seemingly so many people in these threads keen on scoring drugs in Tokyo? There's always one or two. It's like, what have you heard other than it's really difficult, Japan has very severe drug laws, can hold you for almost a month without charge in its prisons, and is infamous for having mentally and emotionally taxing prisons because of its legal culture obsessively based on confessions and its lack of an adversarial legal system?

If you need to DUDE DRUGS, go somewhere else.
>>
>>1080903
Don't spend a week in Tokyo. I was there for nine days and found myself wandering around taking trains at random by day 3. Same with Osaka, although that was more because I didn't do any homework on the place and stuck around Namba. You can stay in Kyoto for a week, plenty of things to see and do there, especially if you go on foot or bike. I haven't been to the rest of the places so I can't help you there, but 3 weeks is a good time frame for so many places. It would do you well to plan the train trips in such a way that you start off at one city with an international airport and end at another.
>>
>>1081134
>>1081135
Unless you currently work for a company that'll move you out there, probably not. There's not very much (if any?) short term non-specialized IT work for people that aren't able to communicate with the vast majority of the other workers...pretty much anywhere.
Teaching English would be a better option in your station, though you'de have to settle with being there a full year minimum instead of a few months.

Also no need to qualify it with that first part, if you weren't any of those to a certain degree you wouldn't be here.
>>
>>1081190
Maybe you're just a boring person?
How could somebody possibly not have stuff to do in a foreign city by day 3.
>>
>>1081207
I grew up in a city so walking around another metropolis is kinda boring. I did eventually find stuff off the radar but I still wouldn't recommend spending so much time in Tokyo unless you grew up in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. The places where most people frequent are malls or stuff you could see in Osaka or any other major Japanese city so there's no real reason to stick around for so long unless you want to visit every setting referenced in every animu ever.
>>
>>1081153

Thanks for the heads up anon, going to take her and my cousin to go check out Tokyo Disneysea when we go to Japan in April.
>>
Does anyone have any recommendations on a place to see live music while I'm in Tokyo? This could be nightlife related or otherwise.
>>
>>1081212
No I think you're a boring person but that you also were lazy and didn't do any research. I lived there for 3 years and there were things I never got around to doing. There is so much to do in the city, but if you're just walking around you're not going to find much ESPECIALLY if you don't speak Japanese. Theres a ridiculous amount of stuff to do in the city but you can't be lazy about it.
>>
>>1081222
What part of 'I grew up in a city' do you not understand? I've lived in a place that's basically Tokyo but not Japanese for 20 years in my before going to a different metropolis. Perhaps there are festivals and such but I wasn't there in time for them because I planned to see a different festival at the time.
>>
>>1081221
Pick up the latest copy of Timeout Tokyo
>>
>>1081180
Just thought it would be amazing to do MDMA in a club in Japan. The whole experience including everything times 10 would be an amazing feeling.
>>1081163
Yea I'am sure it's very hush hush over there. I've heard there is a lot of wild weed in northern Japan.
>>
>>1081135
Don't text and drive.
>>
>>1081224
Are you from NYC. Thats really the only city that I think can compare to Tokyo but I don't want to rant about the differences and what you could have done if you're not from there.
>>
>>1081228
Singapore actually. Malls for days over there. If you wanna rant about how there are more parks and places with historical significance in Tokyo, those are the first places I visited.
>>
Is it true that you can get a work visa without a degree if you have three years of experience teaching?
>>
>>1081153
Going in may and the Mrs insisted on a 4 day pass. So we will be seeing both parks, have been to Anaheim so reading this was a little disheartening but I'm it will still be fun. Really looking forward to sea
>>
>>1081231
You can get visa for the job you want to do if a company is willing to sponsor you and you have 10 years of experience in the field without a degree
>>
>>1081229
Well if you were shopping in malls in Tokyo you already fucked up. You should be shopping at small stores.
Tokyo has the most number of Michelin star restaurants but thats only because the restaurant scene is so incredible there. There could be more variety when it comes to food out of the country, but for just a week you could experience a different type of Japanese food for every single meal and never pay more than 3000 yen a meal.

Theres all kinds of crazy stuff like maid cafes, sega theme park, gundam theme park. Ginza/Tsukiji, Harajuku/Shibuya, Akihabara are all an entire day by themselves. My coworker had an international license which allowed him to to dress up as a character from Mario Kart and go-kart around Shibuya all day. I never got an international license but I went on a party bus that drove us all over west Tokyo before taking us to one of hottest clubs in Tokyo.

Theres literally something at every single station. You don't invest millions of dollars on a train line and a station if theres nothing there. On my days off I would visit random stations and there was always some kind of small museum, or neighborhood that was famous for some super specific Japanese food, product, etc.

If you got bored in Tokyo you didn't try
>>
>>1081237
Didn't shop in malls or eat good food, was on a tight budget. Maid cafes, not my thing. Been to the gundam theme park, wasn't impressed and Disneyland and Sea, not that good either. No driver's license, been to the clubs, same as Singapore except everyone speaks Japanese. etc, etc.
>>
>>1081239
So in other words you didn't have any money and refused to get out your comfort zone and try anything even slightly strange or interesting.

So the boring comment was right
>>
>>1081241
When I said that maid cafes weren't my thing, it was after I visited one. Visited Ginza, Harajuku, Shinjuku and Harajuku as well. Signed up for a free english speaking tour at a Japanese english school so I could meet more people. The reason why I was on a tight budget was because I roamed about Kyoto, Hakone, Hida Takayama and the Japanese Alps mostly on foot before getting to Tokyo where I had to ration my money before the flight back home.
>>
>>1081242
Tokyo has a lot but it doesn't have nature and it requires money.

Nobody gets bored if they have even 5000 yen a day. Its boring if youre super into nature and have no money but theres nothing about any of those places you listed that is better except for the fact that Tokyo was firebombed to hell so its missing the originals like Kyoto and its a city so you can only go camping and such outside the 23 wards
>>
>>1081244
Actually thats a lie, it requires money if you know nobody
>>
>>1081244
>5000 yen
I was living on about 2000 yen a day including traveling on the trains, skipping breakfast and eating out of 7 11s. And again, I live in an ultra-modern city so forgive me if I'm sick of seeing skyscrapers made out of floor to ceiling windows everywhere.
>>
>>1081247
Stop blaming the fact that you are poor on you not having any fun in Tokyo. Singapore and Tokyo are nothing alike
>>
>>1081249
>muh Tokyo
Stop being so elitist about just another city in the world. I didn't enjoy my time in Tokyo because it's a metropolitan city with arts festivals, vibrant nightlife, chock full of malls because that's also what Singapore is. What Tokyo has but Singapore doesn't is Japanese specialty foods and services, which guess what, other parts of Japan also have in addition to not being another giant fucking city.
>>
>>1081253
If you're some nature freak I get it, but if you actually prefer cities its kinda sad that you can't differentiate cities
>>
>>1081260
If you've not been to Singapore, then let me tell you that aside from things like batting centers and the number of high rise apartments, Tokyo is basically the same as the Central Business District in Singapore. Lots of office buildings, rooftop pubs and clubs everywhere, high end restaurants which serve authentic cuisine from each of the native countries. The malls are really similar as well. The only real difference would be the scale of some of the attractions because Singapore is small as fuck and that there's more variety in the restaurants you see in Singapore because the dining culture here is almost as big as in Japan.
>>
>>1081253
Yes major cities share some common things, but you didn't have any money and your purposefully trying to say they are more similar than they are because you didn't have any money to experience a lot of things that make the city unique.
>>
>>1081267
Fair enough, but most of the things you mentioned I had already tried be it in Tokyo itself or some other place I had visited in my trip. The only thing that really stood out would be the go-karting which I can't do because I don't have a license. I had tried kaiseki cuisine when I was in the Alps and had plenty of opportunity to sample Japanese confectioneries in Kyoto and Hakone. I visited some clubs when I was in Tokyo and went drinking at standing bars after walking around Odaiba and Ginza as well as bought some plastic models in Akiba. My only real regret was not going to Tsukiji to try out the sushi there which I was planning on but I didn't have enough cash on me at the time. They may not be as similar as I'm making them out to be but Tokyo definitely isn't as unique as you're trying to present it.
>>
>>1081268
I think what makes Tokyo stand out is the sheer variety within a reasonable train ride. Also of all the major cities in Japan it's definitely the most foreigner friendly. I was surprised when a major station map in Kyoto didn't have any roman names of stations, just kanji.
>>
>>1081273
Thats a tiny thing but it is one thing
>>
>>1081207
This. If you get bored in Tokyo by day 3 you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>1080903
Ignore the guy who said you shouldn't spend a week in Tokyo
>>
>>1081302
Or, alternatively, think about whether his interests align with yours before completely dismissing a dissenting opinion.
>>
>>1081304
Definitely, yeah
>>
File: why_so_japan_arcade_5.jpg (363 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
why_so_japan_arcade_5.jpg
363 KB, 1024x768
So, about arcades/game centers...

I'm mainly into rhythm games, any arcade recommendations in Tokyo? I've been to several, mostly in Ikebukuro and Akihabara and was couldn't find any Beatmania/IIDX machines. None at all.
Where in Tokyo can I go to play Beatmania?
>>
File: 1450356158454.jpg (65 KB, 454x419) Image search: [Google]
1450356158454.jpg
65 KB, 454x419
How hard would it be to find an English teaching job as someone from a Spanish speaking country?
I'm currently a tourism student and planning to get a TOEFL certificate, not that it means much but may as well get it since i can.
>>
>>1081310
You must be blind.
>>
File: USJ_5years.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
USJ_5years.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
Some quick tips/mini review when you plan on going to Universal Studios Japan in Osaka.

If you have the money, GET THE FAST PASS. Even if you're going on a weekday. it will be busy, I just went on a Monday and there were 3-4 hr waits for some rides.

If you're not getting a fastpass and want to get on the most rides, line up before the park opens and as soon as they open go get a timed entry ticket to harry potter land. if you don't get a ticket between 930-10 you're fucked. Go as soon as soon as your time comes and go directly to "Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey" had a 90 min wait when i got there and when i was done the wait was 180 mins.

Skip breakfast and eat as soon as the restaurant opens at 11 if you don't want to wait in line. (I recommend the harry potter restaurant)

Get in line for Kyary Pamyu Pamyu early, 3 hr wait throughout the day and it closes really early.

Skip the flight of the hippogryph, its literally 30 seconds long and an hour wait throughout the day.

Back to the future, spiderman, and backdraft are usually less than an hour wait always.

The Evangelion and Attack on Titan rides are just 4dx movies, Attack on Titan for the first half of the day then it changes to the evangelion showing for the rest of the day.

Jurassic Park ride is always closed.

Hollywood dream is the best ride imo (the coaster you see from the entrance) plays catchy jpop while you ride it, the song pickups the faster your going. recommend going when its dark for a good view. usually a 60-90 min wait throughout the day.

Terminator ride is ok, the Japanese lady that does the presentation at the beginning almost makes it worth it.
>>
>>1081325
I've been going to mostly Club Segas. Most arcades I see are Club Segas....Where should I go for Beatmania?
>>
>>1081343
>Get in line for Kyary Pamyu Pamyu early

What is it?
>>
>>1081347

Space Fantasy the ride - except you wear VR goggles that plays a video with pyamu pyamu in it. you can find video of what they show by just googling usj Kyary Pamyu Pamyu

Space Fantasy was easily the 2nd best ride there.
>>
>>1081153
Never been to California, but I found Tokyo Disneyland to be pretty exactly like Magic Kingdom Disney World except many decades ahead. Definitely a nicer park but pretty much the same experience. Disney Sea is the more unique park but it still shares a lot of rides with Disney World. Although some rides like Tower of Terror have a very different theme
>>
>>1081153

Motherfucker I waited over 2 hrs to get my r2-d2 popcorn bucket.
>>
>>1080080

Depends on when you go. When it's bad, it's *really* bad.
>>
>>1080096

As someone from a tourist trap- most tourists are jackasses who constantly get in the way. I don't blame him for wanting to avoid people like that.
>>
>>1081153

I dunno if it's just me, but all the rides seemed to be toned down, and a *lot* shorter than the one in CA. Disney characters with horrible accents was hilarious though.
>>
how hard would it be to travel for a month or two as a backpacker? would it be hard to find some temp jobs to make some change or in exchange for a place to sleep?
>>
>>1081382
probably not, check out WWOOF and helpx. You're probably wanna stay more than 3 or 4 days in one place though (maybe 1-2 weeks)
>>
>>1081343
Did you buy the Evangelion popcorn bucket? I'm going 2 days before the Cool Japan event ends and getting that bucket is one of my priorities, but I'm worried that they might only have a limited amount up for grabs per day?

Otherwise, thanks for confirming to me that I need a fastpass. Gonna order the 5 ride and anniversary passes as soon as they go online.
>>
I'm going from 25 april to 10 may. Golden week, I know

How bad will the amount of tourists be? Should I change most of my itinerary ideas to smaller or lesser known places?

I've got 4 nights in Tokyo, 4 in Kyoto, 1 in Koyasan, 2 in Osaka and 2 in Tokyo before leaving. Day trips throughout when the JR pass is active
>>
>>1081377
When is it bad?
>>
>>1081586
Not anon but if you want to see the Golden Temple without tourists you have to go really early. Even then it's kind of overrated its a shrine in some water and you can't even get that close.

Fushimi Inari is always busy-ish but with both foreign and Japanese tourists and pilgrims. A lot of couples and cute girls like to get pictures in their kimono and yukata in front of the torii.

All I'm saying is don't get so hung up on "tourists" ruining your tourism. Kyoto is a huge destination for natives too.
>>
>>1081452

Not sure how many they had on hand, that was the first thing I did when I got there because there wasn't a line but mid day there were about 10ish people waiting. They also have an lcl capsule for holding a drink. All together it's like ~$40. The only thing is carrying it around for the entire day gets annoying and it doesnt even hold that much popcorn.

It's right by the Eva ride so it's pretty hard to miss (go straight from the entrance)
>>
>>1081382
Its illegal and Japanese people LOVE following the rules.
>>
>>1081244
Shit I'm budgeted around 10,000 yen a day for 3 weeks. Is that to much?

>>1081343
Have been to universal in Miami and assuming the fast pass doesn't work on Harry Potter rides like here also? I get it regardless every park I go to but that bit annoyed me a bit.

How amazing was the Harry Potter world? After travelling half way around the world and visiting one I'm not sure if it's worth going to another but I did love every bit of it...
>>
>>1081677
Budgeting too much money is never a problem. You just have money left over or you have more fun.
>>
Looking forward to study abroad at the Sophia-University in Tokyo.
Just started learning Japanese too
White male from germany, 1,87
What can i expect, does anyone know this University or went to it?
>>
is 3 weeks in tokyo too long? I just want to party and get laid. Which area in japan has the best nightlife?
>>
Family wants to go to Osaka but I have no idea what to do there except the well-known street food place that they want to check out. Anything else to do there?
>>
>>1080025
>http://erolin.net/

Tons of Peruvians in Hyogo.
>>
>>1080225

Try Capsule Hotel AsahiPlaza Shinsaibashi

http://www.asahiplaza.co.jp/capcel/reserve.htm

You should be able to catch last train into Umeda or Osaka station and, at worst, hoof it to shinsaibashi. If not, it is near Shinsaibashi Station on the Metro
>>
>>1081694
I spent one month there last year, didn't feel too long. Was a bit dreadful towards the end, but I think that was because of the weather (1 week without sunshine and mostly rain)
>>
>>1081695

Get a rail pass, it's pretty easy to do day trips out of Osaka.

In the city itself there's a few museums, aquarium, the castle, universal studios etc.
>>
>>1080017
I taught at a university in China for four years, and I have an M.Ed. I want to teach at a high school in a rural community. I'm so tired of cities, and want to experience a quaint Japanese town or village. What is the best way to contact schools for employment?
>>
Nice and affordable places to eat in tokyo? Lots of them please
>>
>>1081746

Teaching at what level? If you're planning on below-university level, it'll probably be easier if you go through a dispatch or similar gig for a year, and then contact different school districts. If it's a university thing, how's your Japanese?
>>
>>1081753

There's shit loads of them. What price range do you think is 'affordable'? I'm from one of the most expensive places in the US and Tokyo seems like a constant 25-50% off sale from my point of view. What kinds of places are you looking for?
>>
File: 14556222210008.jpg (250 KB, 960x674) Image search: [Google]
14556222210008.jpg
250 KB, 960x674
Island located in Japan
>>
>>1081762
Catch is if you visit you have to win an crime lord's international street fighting tournament if you want to leave alive.
>>
>>1081761
Anything really, while walking into random places to eat could be interesting, it could also be really disappointing. Preferably it would be blow 3000 yen for the meal.
>>
>>1081760
>I want to teach at a high school
I've never worked with children, and I have no intention of ever working with children.

>it'll probably be easier if you go through a dispatch or similar gig for a year
Do you mean an agent or a government program?
>>
>>1081767

Meant through a private company. At the primary school level most school districts won't consider you at all unless you have some kind of track record.

That said, you could send inquiries to individual schools, but they may not be willing to deal with you unless you can speak conversationally at least.
>>
>>1081769
>unless you have some kind of track record
Four years full-time at a university is not a track record? I also taught at an American university for two years part-time.
>>
>>1081771
Think he means track record of teaching in Japan.
>>
>>1081773
Oh. Is that opinion or experience? It sounds rather silly to me.
>>
>>1081762
meh. I mean doesn't seem like there's much to do there
>>
Hello everybody.

I will "transit" through Tokyo in July and have 10 days to go before flying to Europe.

My options are:
1. 9 days just in the Tokyo area
2. 5 days in Tokyo and two 2 day trips somewhere else
3. 3 days in Tokyo and then 1 day per main city using trains (but make sure to reach Narita on day 10)

First of all, I'd like to point out these 10 days need to be relaxing rather than obsessed with seeing everything. As I told my friend who lives there, 4 hours sitting on a bench and looking at people passing by is my idea of a relaxing day.
I am also thinking hot springs and ryoku, but wouldn't mind the cheap version. Actually it seems capsule hotels have some kind of spa included, so why not?
I really like the idea to have a different bath every day in a different santo in Tokyo. That would be enough of a trip for me.

So what do you suggest? I do not need to get off the beating track at all costs, but if I leave something touristic out of my list, it is still okay.

Nightlife is fine, but please understand I cannot drink. So I'd rather go somewhere where I can meet people and talk.
>>
>>1081746
Just do JET or Interac. The biggest problem with both of those programs is that you usually get put in some middle of nowhere town.
>>
>>1081841
kill yourself faggot
>>
>>1081774

Experience. They don't give a shit about any experience in china.
>>
>>1081933
Thanks for the tip. Doesn't change any of my plans, but any information is good information.

>>1081839
Now, from what I've heard JET just has you sitting in a chair while some other teacher drones. I'm not interested in being a parrot. Is that the same for Interac?
>>
>>1082077
>from what I've heard JET just has you sitting in a chair while some other teacher drones. I'm not interested in being a parrot.

Experiences vary. It depends on the school and/or coteacher. In some cases you'll just be reading out of the book and taking a back seat to the Japanese teacher, in some instances you'll be the person in charge and the Japanese teacher will be there for translation and discipline help.

I'd say overall you should just go for it and ditch your special snowflake Robin Williams-in-Dead-Poets-Society mindset. Your stated goal is to experience a quaint Japanese town, and that should be your focus, not to be the pedagogical exemplar. At the end of the day, you do not speak Japanese. How much can you really expect to truly teach young Japanese kids. Put on a good face, get them excited about English, be a good resource for the higher level students who like English and maybe the reason some of the students who previously didn't like English ended up getting into it. If you can't see yourself as simply in that kind of role, you should probably consider doing something else.

JET is a very cushy job. Best salary in ESL in Japan outside of University and some International schools (and honestly most international schools aren't well above JET in the salary department--some are less). Lots of free time to experience that rural town. With your experience and preference for a rural placement chances are very high you will get in.

Interac is the same deal, you might be second fiddle/a recitation drone, you might have control of your lesson. But Interac pays much lower salaries than JET. We're talking between 500-700 bucks less a month.
>>
>>1082082
I'm glad to hear that it varies. I can just specify during the interview my preference, and if that is a deal breaker, I dodged a bullet.

>ditch your special snowflake Robin Williams-in-Dead-Poets-Society mindset
Wanting to teach is being a special snowflake?

>How much can you really expect to truly teach young Japanese kids
Well, that is what the Master's and six and half years of teaching ESL (and, no, I do not consider what people do in English language mills to be teaching) are for. In the United States, there are few to no bilingual ESL programs at the university level. That would just be counterproductive.

I understand how unusual this sounds to those who are not in the field, but most legitimate educational institutions do not want polyglots.
>>
>>1082083
>Wanting to teach is being a special snowflake?

No, but for your stated goals and destination, it's like wanting your cake and eating it too. You're a guy wants to haul ass off to Japan and experience a quaint village. This doesn't sound like it's principally about teaching--and that's fine. But if you really want to be the pedagogical difference maker, you should probably look somewhere else, like stick to a university, or better yet, get a state teaching license and become teacher back in your home country.

>Well, that is what the Master's and six and half years of teaching ESL are for

Look man, keep flexing if you want, But if you're really under the impression that you're going to teach Japanese adolescents a bunch without speaking their native language at all and that you're going to have the same responsibilities and expectations as the Japanese teachers you are going to in for a rude awakening.

Again, if you want to be a real teacher that's completely fine. That's what it sounds like you want to be and there's nothing wrong with that. I just think you should probably look elsewhere given that mindset.

ESL teaching in Asia in most cases is what it is. The things I already outlined. Putting on a good face, being a good cultural ambassador, giving the kids an interesting/engaging cultural experience, and maybe teaching the higher level ones a thing or two.

It really sounds like you should just stick to universities or else become a licensed teacher and go back to your home country for what you want.

I'd just look for uni jobs in Japan. The rural locations colleges and that are probably less competitive anyway.
>>
>>1082089
I see, I see. I really do appreciate all of this advice, and I am absorbing all of it. I have only taught at the university level, so I want to experience something different. That is why I am so insistent on high school.

I'll return home and receive my license once I have gotten this adventure out of my blood. Until then I want to teach abroad. I'll check out JET and Interac for the time being. I don't want to just switch universities.

Thanks for all that you've said. I recognize the barriers and hurdles in what I want to do, but I don't see them as reasons to give up before trying.
>>
>>1081802
There are people much more suited to give you answers than myself but I'll pitch in anyway. The first option is good, Tokyo's massive and you can easily kill 9 days there. I'd suggest staying the majority of time in Tokyo and doing one 3 day side trip. If your budget is tight then Fuji (Kawaguchiko specifically) is a good choice, if your budget is large then Kyoto is also a good option. I'm sure other people would recommend Osaka as well, maybe Kanazawa.

That said option 3 doesn't sound relaxing at all (and it sounds expensive.) And don't bother with capsule hotels, they're not a good deal because they're meant for desperate salarymen who missed their last train.
>>
>>1082095
Good luck, try JET. As the new school year starts in a month and a half you are almost certainly too late to apply this cycle. Wait it out and go out for JET in the fall. You have a very good chance of getting in. Interac should be plan B given its much much lower salaries. However given that you want to be in the country, your cost of living shouldn't be through the roof.

Keep an open mind, just embrace what you do as a foreign English teacher. If you're given one of the schools where you have more freedom, great (although you still won't be a real teacher). If you're given a tape recorder situation--just make the most of it. Interact with the kids outside of class, play soccer with them at recess. Trust me, even though you're not a real teacher, you can have a profound impact on some of the kids. When I left my school after two years, I got presents, letters, girls cried, etc.
>>
>>1082248
What's the max amount of time you can be a teacher with JET?
>>
>>1082263
I think 5 years?
>>
Do you guys know how strict hotels in Japan are with the number of guests?

There's 3 of us going to Tokyo and we only want to book one room with two beds. But I only see options for two guests and two bed rooms mostly, kind of worried they might kick us out if we sneak in a 3rd person.
>>
Spending one year in Nagasaki starting in May. What can I expect? I've heard that it has a huge amount of natural beauty - is this true? I'm very fond of walking amongst nature, climbing mountains and navigating woods.
>>
>>1082288
will you be working?
>>
Gonna go to tokyo in may for a week and kyoto for a week, will be staying in airbnb places. How widespread are public baths? Would I easily be able to find one no matter where I am?
>>
I just booked my tickets and rentals for a trip in April; I'm visiting a friend in Osaka for 11 days, then spending my final 4 days in Tokyo. I'm planning on doing day trips out to Nara and Kyoto while in Osaka.

This is my first time to Japan and I can read/speak Japanese at a very basic level.

Are there any other cities I should hit? Any must-do's in the cities I am visiting?
>>
>>1082167
Thank you for your reply anon.
I am seriously committed to killing most of my time in Tokyo.

In the end, I will try to do a short 2-day trip in the Prefecture of Ibaraki.
Unusual, I know, but I have personal reasons to go there so why not visiting something?
>>
>>1082274
The staff won't probably care but Tokyo rooms are kinda small space is at a premium. If you've been to NYC same idea.
>>
Hey guys first time, is it worth getting a JR green class ticket over regular?

I'm just 6'4 and not sure what room is like in the regular class.
>>
>living for a year in Tokyo
>studied Japanese for several years before I came here

Where should I travel?
>>
>>1082336
I'm 6.2 and shinkansen were pretty comfy i think you can do without unless you have cash to throw away
>>
>>1080223
Made that too and ended up noticing that I can't climb the fuji at that time of the year the evening the day before
>>
>>1082265
Five years with the same school?
>>
>>1082409
>Live a year in Tokyo and have no interest and no nothing about the country.

What have you been doing?
>>
>>1082295
I'll be going as a student, so I wont be able to do too much in terms of work. I'll get some funding from my uni, though. After university fees I think I should have $10k to last me the year.
>>
>>1080038
A Japanese local isn't the way to go, you should get in contact with a foreigner local because they'll know the things that other foreigners want to see the best. Tourist info is garbage in Tokyo so getting someone to show you around is your best bet. When I lived in Tokyo I used to do this kind of thing on weekends just for fun. Friends referred to me as "Mr. Tokyo" with their visiting friends because I always took them on awesome tours of the city to all the secret places that make Tokyo totally unique.
>>
>>1080060
Yeah, you can rent some apartments by the month and leave whenever you want as long as you've given 30 days notice. Fontana is/was (don't know if they're still around, haven't used them in 4 years) a company that had exactly what you're looking for.
>>
>>1080067
It's pretty simple, put your stuff in the lockers, get naked, get a small towel, wash yourself thoroughly on the little stools and wash stations, then soak in the water. It's considered bad to put your small towel in the hot spring water, but don't let it trip you up. Getting it wet is fine as long as you're not keeping it in the water the whole time. Most people leave the towel folded on their head while they relax. Japanese onsen experience makes you feel like a filthy fucking barbarian who has never really been clean in your life until this moment. You feel like Jesus after you're done.
>>
>>1080080
You'd get a more authentic "old feel" from places in rural areas. Kyoto is old in architecture, but it feels pretty modern, in my opinion. I'd go to Matsuyama which has a dope castle on a mountain in the middle of the city. http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/sakura11/g/sakura11_110410_matsuyama_08.jpg

They also have the Dogo Onsen, which was the bath house that inspired the one from Spirited Away. http://orig06.deviantart.net/b607/f/2010/295/2/c/dogo_onsen_iii_by_frenchbear-d319a19.jpg

I've never felt more transported back in time than I did at Dogo.
>>
>>1080096
Because some tourists suck so bad they ruin the experience for you and a big crowd of tourists usually entices loads of unsavory types to prey upon them.

My travels have only gotten better since I started avoiding heavy tourist areas.
>>
>>1080123
It honestly depends on what kinds of things you like. Tokyo is LOADED with amazing shit that is unique to Tokyo, so you need to be specific. It's like saying, "I'm heading over to youtube for a minute, what are some good videos I should watch in the 5 minutes I'm there?"
>>
>>1082502
That simply does not happen in Japan, the worse that will happen is that a Ginza store may be crowded with Chinese tourists
>>
>>1080131
Japan has some pretty unique temples to be sure.

Tokyo has Yasukuni, the Shinto shrine that is the target for a shitton of hate from Korea and China because it enshrines Japanese WW2 generals and later convicted war criminals. The actual place is beautiful, though, especially in Spring during Hanami because all the trees in the shrine are cherry blossom trees so it's like a pink blizzard when there's even the slightest breeze.

There's also the big one in Asakusa, although it's a little touristy and constantly under restoration construction, they have traditional events that are worth visiting.

There's the small one on Mt. Takao (west of Tokyo, about 1 hour train ride from Shinjuku) that's basically the origin of Tengu, the crow demons and remnants of the old Japanese gods before Shintoism took over.
>>
>>1080149
It depends on how long you're staying and what you want to use it for. Definitely do not recommend capsule hotels, they're only for businessmen and party people who missed their last train home and just need to sleep somewhere for a few hours.
>>
>>1082504
What doesn't happen in Japan? Annoying tourists? The worst tourist I've ever seen in my life was someone I saw in Tokyo. It was some guy from Los Angeles who thought he was a pick up artist and decided that his path to Japanese pussy was through making racist comments to strangers and mocking Japanese men.
>>
>>1080314
god damn spaniard is just gruell
>>
>>1082507
kek would've loved to see that. Imo there's plenty of shitty tourists all over Japan, but it's mostly the usual suspects (Chinese, Koreans, Indians etc.)
>>
>>1082500
If using the shower station first and not putting your little towel in the water are rules then I often see them being broken lo.
>>
>>1082543
Dude, lay off. I've never really experienced shitty tourists in Japan. Being in a tour group and using selfie sticks is not being shitty by definition.
>>
>>1082507
"David Bond?"
>>
>>1082575
Using the shower station first is a big, big rule. That one is REQUIRED. I don't know where you're going where you see unwashed people just flop themselves into the hot springs, but I've never seen that.

Not putting the towel in the water is a very, very soft rule that almost everyone breaks because it's just hard not to. It's ok to get it wet, but not ok to leave it in the onsen water.
>>
>>1082577
Shit dude... I googled him and... it might be him. He looks like him from what I remember and his attitude is a bit better in his videos than this guy was in real life, but I don't know man. It's close. This dude was the fucking WORST. I was supposed to be around him for the whole day and show him around Tokyo because a friend asked me, but I ditched him within the first hour of meeting him. He started talking about how hot this girl was and pointed to her in the park and it was a dude so he got all bent out of shape and went on this rant about how Japanese guys look like girls or something. He thought he was like this unicorn to Japanese women when actually he was just a goofy white dude with nothing else to offer in terms of personality.
>>
>>1082583
Seriously, the only time I've seen non-drunk Japanese people get confrontational is when theres the occasional Chinese tourist that just hops in the tub.
>>
Planning on going in June, I'd like to do a lot of things really like Hike mount fuji one morning to see the sunrise and a lot of weeab shit and just experience the country before I enter college for the whole "become a mega weeab teacher" ordeal. I decided on this short notice so my budget is around 3000 dollars and I'd like to go for two weeks, I might be going solo and I might not I could wait til august but I heard it's very humid that time of year. I also want to either stay in Akiharbara or Shinjuku and just walk and do random shit
advice pls
>>
>>1081611
Is it any problem getting it on the plane? You know, with the horn and all, I'm worried I won't be able to take it with me and putting it in my luggage would be complicated to say the least.
>>
>>1082603
It's going to be humid and hot in June, too. June through August is pretty hot.

Go for longer than 2 weeks. Try to go for a month, you could probably do it comfortably if you had another $1k, plus you could get a small apartment for a month for about $1k or less, which would be cheaper than a hotel by miles.

It doesn't matter so much where you stay as long as you're staying within the circular Yamanote line or only 1-2 stops outside it.

Use this http://metropolisjapan.com/ as a guide for fun and interesting things to do in Tokyo. Tokyo really shines in the things that are temporary and only going on for a day, a week, what's cool this year, etc. The stuff that's been there forever isn't all that cool, in my opinion.

You'll find that the neighborhoods are really the attractions in Tokyo instead of specific places. Shimo-Kitazawa is Tokyo's Berkeley, it's big bohemian college town. It should be full of people your age to meet and hang out with.

Dress nice, don't wear shorts and tennis shoes. Shorts are mostly worn by children in Japan, although it's still somewhat acceptable for people in their 20s to wear them. Still, though, if you want to look cool you should get pants. People will be much more receptive to becoming your friend if you dress like a Tokyoite. Go to Uniqlo and just get a cheap outfit from there for the summer. Image is very important in Tokyo, Americans tend to dress for function more than style. It might help if you thought of yourself like an actor in a role; what role are you playing? How would that character dress? What would "cool Tokyo street photographer #2" wear?

You can eat well for cheap, go to Standing Sushi Bar for some pretty good quality, but cheap sushi. I ate sushi until I was full and my bill was like $30. Imagine trying to eat decent quality sushi until you're full anywhere else and not paying over $100 for the pleasure.

con't
>>
File: amusement_visual02.jpg (287 KB, 980x430) Image search: [Google]
amusement_visual02.jpg
287 KB, 980x430
>>1082603
part 2

Go to the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka, it's seriously fucking awesome, even if you're not a weeb.

Go hang out in Odaiba, check out the crazy malls with themed floors and haunted houses and stuff. While you're there, go to the Oedo Onsen, the inside is themed like a festival night from last century and it's great: http://www.ooedoonsen.jp/en/

Check out Ameyoko Street in Ueno, it stands for "America street" and it was Tokyo's black market for a couple decades after WW2. It's still a busy and fun shopping street definitely worth a trip.

Go to Takao san, 1 hour train trip west of Tokyo you'll find yourself in the middle of the mountains where the Tengu originated from. There's a great view of Mt. Fuji from the top and it only takes about 45 minutes to talk to the top from Takao station.

There are plenty more, but maybe you should just explore them for yourself, wander into your own hidden areas.
>>
>>1082595
Probably a different guy. David Bond is insufferable (though at least he's not Julian Blanc tier). David Bond doesn't seem that angry or frustrated.

I think David Bond actually does pretty well. But he's still cringe-y. It's mainly cringe-y just how unpolished he and his friends are. Overall, he just seems like one of those Jeff Seid-y dudes with the personality of a stump, whereas PUAs like Zyzz and Tucker Max actually had personality.

Someone online claimed they saw David Bond in Harajuku and he was bitching that it's hard to get laid in Japan so he was going to go back to Thailand. Could have been a made up story. He seems to do pretty well for himself in Japan, though I think he probably exploits Tinder game pre-set up dates and gets rejected more than he probably lets on in his videos. He's fearless and just relies on his baby face and showing sky diving videos to elicit "SUGOI" my guess is that, not knowing Japanese, he probably gets rejected a whole lot, but does numbers game to the max so it eventually pays off because he's attractive.
>>
>>1082610
Thanks for the advice man, Where would I find a good apartment to rent?

I dress pretty american casually "Ralph lauren , nike , jordans, timberlands, etc" would that be socially acceptable with the 20's crowd?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.