[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Budapest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
So /trv/ I'm going to Budapest, this january for a week, with a friend. How are the people? Any advice on attractions, places to eat and places to go out? Thank you.
>>
>>1061651
Book a massage a couple days in advance at Szechenyi, or there won't be one available the day you wish to go.
Musts: Terror House ~3hrs, Hospital in the rock possible in the evenings when doing fisherman's bastion and castle buda. Some of the best klezmer music restaurants need a reservation too, so plan ahead for that experience.
>>
>>1061652
Cool I have looked those places up, they all seem worthwhile. What about the people? How do they feel about foreigners?
>>
>>1061693
When it comes to tourist, Budapest is like most of other big cities. There would be many hospitable people, some who hate tourists, most do not care. There is significantly less English spoken than in Western Europe, but when you're there for a week, you probably won't really notice that.

Note down the Király utca-Kazinczy utca area as well for food, drinks, bars.
>>
>>1061651
What type of food are you interested in?

There is a beautiful cemetery called Fiumei úti sírkert. Take a stroll there if you are interested.

Also we have the biggest pinball museum (more or less an arcade with a flat-rate entry fee) that is awesome if you like pinball.
>>
>>1061960
Local food, but also finer dining. I'm not picky, and I'm generally into trying out new stuff.
>pinball museum
Seems fun.

What about places to go out at night? Where do young people go out to grab a few or a lot?
>>
File: bakery1.jpg (21 KB, 400x220) Image search: [Google]
bakery1.jpg
21 KB, 400x220
>>1061977
Well for local food, you can grab a kürtőskalács/chimney cake at bigger squares (Nyugati, Jászai etc) ~ 1 EUR
You can grab a túró rudi at any supermarket.
Local beers are mediocre, but feel free to try them. Dreher, Arany Ászok, Kőbányai, Borsodi, Soproni etc are local. But there are a lot of import or licensed ones in the stores (czech - Staropramen etc).

In Kazinczy street there is a place called Bors, they do a clever spin on some traditional foods, I always take my foreign friends there.

Try the Budapest Ring (pic related) its nice (~1-1.5 EUR)

But to be honest I don't know where to buy good traditional food. I am better with foreign food places.

Ruin pubs are popular with some crowd. I've only been to a few (Instant, Fogasház), those were pretty good. Also check out A38's (its a boat!) programs maybe they have a concert you might like. http://www.a38.hu/en/programs?sf_format=html
>>
Check out:
>castle
>skanzen
>pilis kilátó
>budai hegyek
>budaörsi lakótelep
>>
>>1061651
check out one of the baths (Király, Rudas and Veli Bej are Turkish baths, Gellért and Széchenyi are bigger, turn-of-the-century bathing complexes)

walk up to the Citadella on Gellérthegy

hike up to Normafa and check out the Elizabeth viewpoint

see the Budapest History Museum in Buda Castle

check out Aquincum, the nearby Gázgyári lakótelep and the two amphitheatres in Óbuda

take the H5 suburban train to Szentendre and stroll around the downtown area

do a pub crawl in the Jewish District (Kazinczy-Király-Wesselényi streets)

make a visit to Heroes' Square and the City Park behind it (it has a great zoo and a nice fake-castle built for the 1896 Millennium Celebrations)

stroll along the Danube Promenade (the pedestrian zone stretching from Lánchíd to Szabadság híd)

check out the garden of Várkert Bazár

spend a day walking around on Castle Hill, discover all its nooks and crannies

do all the bridges (except for Árpád híd, it's nothing special and the adjoining areas aren't too much of a spectacle either)

go to Margitsziget and drink a mug of mulled wine or something, see the ruins of a medieval monastery

take the stairs to the top of St. Stephen's Basilica and take in the view

visit the Fiumei úti sírkert just as this >>1061960 anon suggested
>>
>>1062288
Shit, this will leave us with plenty of stuff to do. I was worried a whole week would be a bit too long, but this looks promising.Thank's a lot guys.
>>
File: szabadsag_hid_2.jpg (2 MB, 1920x841) Image search: [Google]
szabadsag_hid_2.jpg
2 MB, 1920x841
>>1062309
I have some more tips in case you're interested:

check out one of the market halls (the most popular one is the Grand Market Hall on Fővám tér, but my personal favourite is the market hall in Hold utca, situated near the Parliament)

visit the Thermae Maiores in Óbuda near Árpád híd: it's basically the unearthed ruins of a 2,000 year old Roman bath, it's free to visit and most tourists don't even know of its existence since it's under an busy overpass

you should also go ice skating on the Műjégpálya between City Park and Heroes' Square, it's the city's biggest ice rink but it has a really cosy atmosphere

so-called escape rooms are pretty popular in Budapest, the main idea is that you and your friends are locked up in room (or a series of rooms) and by solving little puzzles you have to escape before the time runs out. look them up, there's literally thousands to choose from, it's a fun experience if you like mysteries

as for bars, pubs and party places, Budapest has a lot to offer, the most popular venues are Ötkert, Instant, Szimpla, Fogasház, Morrison's 2, Hellobaby, Grand, Tütü, Corvin Bar, A38, Akvárium, Gozsdu Udvar and Élesztő

for somewhere to eat, I'd recommend the restaurants Kéhli (Hungarian cuisine, near Árpád híd), Fióka, Pastrami, Momotaro Ramen, the street food joints Attaboy, Black Cab Burger, Arriba Taqueria, Pad Thai, and the soup buffets of Leves. and Bors.

Hope you'll have a great time! Cheers
>>
>>1062288
Oh shit, someone other than me recommending Veli Bej. Looks like I need find a new hideout lol

= good tips
>>
Not much to add to what's been recommended.

If you like jewish food, there are some great 'home cooking' style restaurants. I really like Fulemule Etterem. Inside it's nothing special, but the beef brisket is delicious, as are many other dishes.

One warning. Be aware of scams. There are a number of common ones, such as someone striking up a conversation with you (normally hot chicks) and asking if you want to go for a drink at the bar they're heading to. When you get there anything you buy will cost a small fortune. A good test for any 'befriending' scams is to try to get them to go to the bar of your choice, rather than theirs. If they refuse, then make your excuses and walk away.

Also, try not to flash the cash. Whether it be getting your wallet out in bars, carryign expensive shopping bags or generally showing wealth. It can attract the wrong attention.

Generally, just use common sense. Budapest is overall pretty great.
>>
>>1061651
I am from Budapest, you can ask anythink. Advice: Do not eat on the tourist street the Váci street)
>>
>>1063524
Okay, noted. Any advice for bars and clubs or such? What about hungarian chicks, how are they?
>>
>>1063749
Budapest chick here, this >>1062340 is good for bars and clubs. Around Gozsdu there're dozens and dozens of equally good bars. Just go to Király utca, there'll be something for your taste within 10 mins of walking distance for sure.

Women are more or less the same everywhere, but... Do note that it's totally fine to chat up any Hungarian in any situation. Clubs, bars, public transport, spa, wherever. Like a girl? It will be considered normal if you just walk up and ask them to join you for a drink. (Be careful with the ones coming up to you, though, better if you offer first.)
>>
>>1061651
If you are a jew, slovak, black or romanian go home as soon as possible.
>>
>>1063992
Luckily I'm Scandinavian pure blood. Nobody gets offended by my blue eyes and blonde hair.

>>1063970
Oh well, there's not gonna be too much of a culture shock then.
>>
>>1064197
Are you from Denmark?

I am danish myself and i am going to visit Budapest in January too.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.