[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cost of living in Australia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1
File: floral background.jpg (42 KB, 444x250) Image search: [Google]
floral background.jpg
42 KB, 444x250
I am interested in doing a one year Master's degree in Australia. Excluding tuition fees, how much should I have saved up before moving?
I am a Singaporefag with Aussie citizenship.
I am a bit worried about not getting used to the culture there and ending up depressed and miserable (for some reason, this seems common amongst immigrants in the west).
>>
>>1061307
The depression is usually the result of being disconnected from friends, family, and familiarity.

The specifics of how much money you'll need, you'll probably need to take up with a spreadsheet over long, painful hours, but I doubt that the living expenses are proportionally/PPP more than Singapore.
>>
>>1061312
>The depression is usually the result of being disconnected from friends, family, and familiarity
Travellers on /trv/ tend to be having the times of their lives abroad though.
>>
>>1061307
how can I quantify it?
I work part time as a bartender and I get by, anyone with a full time job can make it with a bit of discipline

alcohol and cigarettes are disproportionately expensive, public transport is very cheap
>>
>>1061943
Did you move out though? I think it's possible for all people living in developed countries to support themselves if they have a job and they don't move out.
>>
>>1061947
haha you have me there, I'm still at home

but my friends moved out, some of them are on pitiful apprentice wages, or student allowances

food prices are low, minimum wages are really really high
move in with a group of students or something, live is easy as here
>>
>>1061949
I am a girl and I think it is kind of risky to live with a group of strangers. Plus stealing may occur
>>
>>1061951
well it depends on a few things, first on the people, then on how well they know each other

if they stole things, it wousdn't be hard to work out who did it, and hour housemates would be as keen to catch them as you

I've never hear d of anyone having bad experiences beyond rude housemates and poor behavior

many girls move into girl-only houses
you make the call about risks
>>
>>1061956
Still, how much should I have saved up before moving to Aus? How can I find roomates?
>>
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/
>>
>>1061958
people advertise through facebook, friends, gumtree is used sometimes

you can either look for flatmates with a house, or get a house and look for flatmates

best to meet people a few times socially before giving them the green light, and to have at least one good friend with you

how much?
I would like to give you a straight answer, but I don't know enough
depending on if you can find work fast, if you're moving to a city or rural area (
don't move to a rural area), how much you are prepared to invest in appliances and goods
>>
>>1061963
I am moving from Singapore though. It is hard to meet people before flying there. Can I just live on campus?
I am doing a Master's so I cam only eork part-time.
>>
>>1061967
you can live on campus, but often it's expensive
however areas of cheap housing suround many universities to meet student demand

many people from asia do exactly what you are planning, they often find it incredibly stressful, but you won't be alone
>>
>>1061969
How expensive is living on campus?
What about staying with a host family?
>they often find it incredibly stressful
How so? I don't want to end up miserable in Aus.
>>
>>1061963
>don't move to a rural area
Is moving to a rural area really that shit?
>>
>>1061971
here is the housing site for our best uni
https://housing.unimelb.edu.au/

you can also call up the uni you want to go to, they have whole departments made to help with this kind of thing

foreign students are big buisiness for australia, we are well used to helping students

you might find a host family for short term stays, bu tthey are harder to find the longer you want to stay here
worth looking for though, just have a back up plan if it doesn't work out

asian students often struggle studying at high levels in english, as well as balancing work, study and home duties
many struggle to get a social life at all, and some get exploited by employers

many asians find our culture invasive, loud and imoral, a lot of socializing here revolves around drinking,

>>1061974
well I havn't done it myself, but I live in a regional area

for someone from asia, our bigest citties might seem small
but imagine living in a town with one train station, about fifty shops an ten pubs
rural areas are uncultured, people are good natured but often without manners

regional areas are heap, but it's easy to get cut off from other people

we had chinese exchange students and they were bored to tears, there was nothing for them to do in the country because they didn't do the kinds of things we did

also to be frank asian culture is unapealing to many austrrialians. not to say people don't like it, but they don't find it interesting and often find asians boring in general

maybe that's my predjudie, but there are lots of people like me

stay in the citties where there is lots to do, you can move around etc
>>
>>1061978
>as well as balancing work, study and home duties
>many struggle to get a social life at all, and some get exploited by employers
Be a bit more specific on that? My English isn't shit although I speak with a slight accent.I would say I am as good as English as the average Dutch person.
>there was nothing for them to do in the country because they didn't do the kinds of things we did
Yeah I've heard about poor Wifi and rural areas. I watch western TV shows but it sucks not being able to watch Doctor Who online.
I don't really party and drink, and yeah, I am worried about failing to get used to the culture too.
>>
>>1061990
it's just a time and effort issue
you study half the time, then go straight to work, then come straight home to cook, then go straight to study

the financial preassure on asian students is greater because of lack of family support, and often the educational stakes are higher because of scholarship or visa requierments

now I never went to university myself, to qualify what I say next

you might be fluent in english, I'm fluent in english
but my english skills wern't strong enough to make essay grades
you're not doing basic english, you'l be thrown into uni-level scientific and profesional english, medicine and law still have a strong latin base for instance

I get about 30 internet dropouts a day, and a speed so poor I can barely game with people from the city
it's literally the worst internet in the developed world

where I am, partying is all some people do, they drink five nights a week, take drugs and dance

I have to go to bed, I have work in the morning, but good luck anon, amybe someone who know a bit more could help you out
>>
Why not just do the master's in singapore.
>>
>>1061993
I went to an international school so I can cope with everything being in English. I am just worried about 1) terrible Wifi and 2) not getting used to the local culture as I don't party and drink but that may change in the future
>>1062006
I want to experience life in another country (pretty much the same reason as why people on /trv/ want to go backpacking/teach abroad/study abroad). I am interested in getting a teaching degree in Australia. I've read articles about how there is a shortage of high school maths teacher and I want to fins a teaching job in Aus in the future. I am an Aussie citizen so I can legally work there.
...am I really not welcomed to Aus?
>>
>>1062015
>...am I really not welcomed to Aus?
i can't speak for that because i'm not australian.
from your post, it seems like you assumed that i am australian, and that i am telling you to study in your own country because you aren't welcome here, both of which are false.

i don't even think australia or australian culture is the issue. even before going over, you are feeling defensive and you seem pre-occupied with all the pessimistic things that could happen.
>misery
>theft
>danger because "i am girl"
>misery
>depression
>misery
it doesn't really matter where you go, but if you are quick to assume the worst out of every situation before it happens you will just rekt your own experience before experiencing it. there is a difference between caution and unnecessary pessimism.

also maybe go on a short trip to australia to get a feel of the environment before deciding.
>>
>>1062030
Why did you tell me to stay in Singapore then?
>>1061978 is the one pointing out how Asians don't fit in and how locals find Asians boring. My parents also mentioned that I may not get used to the culture there/end up miserable there.
>there is a difference between caution and unnecessary pessimism.
Romanticising something too much also exists
>>
What city are you thinking about OP? I study at QUT in Brisbane, we have a lot of foreign students.

My one piece of advice would be to not stick with the 'Singapore club' or 'Foreign students club', but to socialize properly and make Australian / local friends. Most Asian students seem to stick together, which I can totally understand but from what I'm hearing you want a bit more of a local experience. When you get into your first lecture just introduce yourself to people around you and you'll be fine.

Also be prepared to drink and party, University is as much a social occasion as it is a educational one here.
>>
>>1061990
>I don't really party and drink, and yeah
Why not changing it then?
>>
>>1062147
>tell me to stay in Singapore then
No, i asked why you didnt want to remain in sg, i didn't tell you to remain here........

And i asked because you sound like those people who end up going to an ang moh country but don't make any friends with the locals because you assume shit before even trying to get to know them ir their ways of life

I swear it won't be the culture of another country's fault, you are being so defensive and you're not open to the idea of trying things out or hearing out what others want to say, just jumping to conclusions everywhere
>>
>>1062203
>just jumping to conclusions everywhere
And you're doing the same, stop judging me you dipshit
>>
>>1062184
If you live in a Western country not drinking is guaranteed to make you pariah and earn you the disdain of your peers.

Unless you got to a BYU
>>
>>1062179
>>1062184
I dislike the taste of alcohol...
>>
>>1062245
Mixer + vodka just tastes like the mixer. I'm not saying people will look down on you because you don't drink, it's just odd. Drinking is very social here, after lectures we go to the uni bar, have a beer and discuss the content. It shouldn't be a problem for you, people won't hate you for it, just be aware that it's quite ingrained into the culture.

If you can still get rowdy and enjoy parties then you'll have no problem
>>
>>1062246
Yeah I know. I think this is the case in every western country.
Just curious, why is it that most travellers/backpackers on /trv/ have fun yet many immigrants in the west do not?
>>
>>1061943

>public transport is very cheap

Not everywhere. Brisbane is fucking expensive. And he's from singapore so he'll probably commit sudoku at our shit infrastructure
>>
>>1062179

oi cunt what degree are you doing?

gp campus?
>>
>>1062266
Seriously, how much more expensive is Aus compared to Singapore?
>>
>>1062269

For public transport or in general?

I was in singapore a few years back and shit's pretty expensive so it's probably roughly the same I guess depending on what city.

do you have loaded parents?
>>
>>1062271
If I am choosing to move to Aus, I will be depending on myself financially. How much should I have saved up before moving? Read >>1061307
>>
>>1062272
bump
>>
>>1062272

Depends where you are moving to I guess.
I'm in Brisbane, living about ~25mins train ride from the CBD and pay $107/w for a sharehouse with 3 others. Work casually (25-30 hours a week currently) whilst I study and get $750 a week from that and live VERY comfortably.

Before this house I was paying $160/w with a job I was earning ~$400 a week on and was still able to do stuff. As long as you are smart with your money you should be fine.

Granted, I don't smoke and really only drink beer one day out of every 2 weeks, so I'm not spending any money apart from food and the occasional hangs with friends going to dinners or shit.
Australia is expensive, but the part-time/casual jobs are plenty. I was getting paid $22/h at McDonalds as a part-timer, and most stores employ on casual basis so another $3 or so on top of that.
>>
>>1063557
So... can you give me an actual number on how much I should have saved up before moving to Aus for a year (excluding tuition fees)? I suck at maths.
>>
>>1063653
Safest bet is to assume you will be spending $250pw on rent, food, transport etc. So if you save up $1000 that gives you a month of living in Australia whilst you find a job. If you think it will take you longer to find a job, save up more.

That's safest. I can only vouch for Brisbane living, but $200pw is still livable if you get a good place to stay and have access to public transport.

Before I had my car I was spending $200pw on rent, transport and food whilst I studied. I ate like shit though because I saved the rest of my money to buy a car.
>>
>>1063656
I am thinking about doing a Master's full time though. Should I save for more?
Also, is sharing a flat with strangers dangerous? I am a girl. Should I consider living with a host family instead?
>>
>>1061313
>Travellers on /trv/ tend to be having the times of their lives abroad though.
That's because they have no friends, hate their family and are unfamiliar with everything in their home country anyway.
>>
>>1061951
>I am a girl and I think it is kind of risky to live with a group of strangers
Then either live in female-only houses, which exist, or grow up.

I've certainly had housemates hit on girls in the house and once I kicked someone out for it but it's really quite rare. I've seen a few hookups from housemates that usually ended up as successful relationships but if it's not going to work out, then you usually already know because you're living with them.

I don't know how it really works out but it usually does. Hitting on housemates is understood to be against the rules so when it happens, it's usually mutual.

Theft gets you kicked the fuck out.
>>
>>1063691
I can't meet with people I will live with beforehand irl though as I am in Singapore.
How to find reliable roomates? Is it safe or is it just because people on /trv/ are risk takers?
>>
>>1063686
Could be the opposite though. /Trv/fags are more willing to explore, open-minded, adaptable to new cultures, etc.
>>
>>1063686
Lol the entire 4chan is like this
>>
I did my masters degree for one year in UTS in Sydney. I'm from the Philippines btw.

My budget would be around $1800 a month, includes accomodation, food, fare, and sometimes for movies and other travels. And buying gadgets. Did not work a day while studying.

Most of my classmates are Chinese, I have 2 courses wherein I have to be in a group with Chinese people. So that wont be a problen with you OP

There's a lot of things to do in Sydney so never got bored.

Did not know anybody when I got there but when I graduated I already had lots of friends.

In my case Philippine peso is basically the same with AUD and SGD so in your case the money you need to save up is basically the same on your 1 year of stay in SG
>>
>>1064171
Thank you!
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.