[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /trv/ So i am planing to go and study english on Australia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: WP_000448.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
WP_000448.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
Sup /trv/ So i am planing to go and study english on Australia (My boyfriend lives there)
I presonally think i have a medium-hig/hig level of english. So gonna travel there to study. Now how's the economical situation there?
I bet i have to start working there along with my studies.

>Image non related. But wonder if anyone else have noticed this shit on an airplane?
>>
>>1060885
>noticed this shit on an airplane

uhh no smoking has been pretty much standard forever on the internet
>>
>>1060885
Expensive as fuck. Pretty much everything is stupidly expensive but rent and alcohol most of all.
On the other hand, local wages are pretty high (minimum wage of $21/hour, higher on weekends etc) and it's easy to find work if you've got even basic skills. I did some bar work when I was over there and it was great, good culture in most venues and almost $30/hour pay.

Where are you coming from?
>>
>>1060895
Mainly studying english and getting experience on my main career (Gastronomist) Also visiting my boyfriend for a long period of time.
>>1060894
You realized there's an ash holder right underneath the sign right?
>>
>>1060895
Miss read that
I am goign from Argentina. I am from colombia tho. But i live on argentina (4 years now)
>>
>>1060901
You'll probably get a warm welcome then. Most Australians seem to really like S Americans. If you're into fine food I recommend the restaurant Attica in Melbourne, regularly rated one of the top 20 restaurants of the world, very creative food and less than $200 per person. Completely worth saving some money for.

>>1060900
As for the ashtray, it's because it's cheaper to just put up the sign rather than take the ashtray out and have to repair the hole.
>>
>>1061029
What you mean by Ashtray?
>>
>>1060885
>Image non related. But wonder if anyone else have noticed this shit on an airplane?

It's a fire prevention precaution.

They have to keep them in case someone ignores the no smoking and smokes a cigarette anyway.
Rather have him use the ashtray than throw it into the paper towel bin or into the toilet as a fire in the lavatory could go unnoticed for quiet some time.
>>
Not OP, but what is the cost of living in Australia per month?
>>
>>1060885
>>Image non related. But wonder if anyone else have noticed this shit on an airplane?
It's a clear sign of an airplane that is older than 15-25 years, the time where smoking ended finally (in the US carriers). It was really horrible...smoking rows right in front of non-smoking rows, tearing up eyes, sinus headaches. People standing in aisles talking and smoking over aisle seats.

OP Aus is higher cost of living internationally speaking, so yea, prolly would find a job helpful.
>>
>>1061066
I'm gonna get my title this year and gonna make a master on bakery (im a gastronomist) So probably gonna end up on some restaurant.
What you mean by "Internationally Speaking"? im not thinking of letting my famillysend me monay from argentina. At least not for a long period of time.
>>1061062
Also That.
>>
>>1061099
>What you mean by "Internationally Speaking"?
As far as the relative world economies go, Australia is a high cost of living. Sydney is the 7th most expensive city in the world to live. People who do these surveys look beyond local salaries, but speak on an international sense.
>>
>>1061103
I live on Bs. AS Argentina. Inflation of 31%... Is it more expensive than that? LOL
>>
>>1061103
Also. I'm planning to go to melbourne.
>>
>>1061108
>I live on Bs. AS Argentina. Inflation of 31%... Is it more expensive than that? LOL
Without giving you an economics lesson, inflation has nothing to do with it. I'm talking about prices vs london vs hong kong vs NYC vs Paris...when these are compared. This has nothing to do with how much local prices have risen if someone foreign considers it cheap on their international salary. I'm saying that when the largest world salaries are compared, Australia still comes out on top as quite expensive. Whether this is based on cost of power and utilities, gas, housing, food prices, is going to vary, but if this is their ranking, it's going to be pretty sure an argentinean is going to consider it rough. Unless of course, you make a great salary relative to what locals consider a great salary, and if your little job plans will pay that kind of salary.
>>
>>1061121
I thought that was rated by how much stuff you could buy with x amount of money. But i understand.
Also. a regular salary here would be like 500$Us Monthly.
>>
How are you gonna get a Visa?
>>
>>1061152
My boyfriend lives there. He's from there.
>>
>>1061064

Depends on the city. Melbourne and Sydney are very expensive.

>>1061127

>Also. a regular salary here would be like 500$Us Monthly.

Wages in Australia are much higher than that. The minimum wage is around $660 a week (which is less than you think because of the currently-weak Australian dollar, but still). Even so, as previously mentioned, the cost of living is very high in major cities.
>>
>>1061161
So. getting 2.6k per month. How much does rent and food? Someone said rent is the cheapestthing among all costs.
>>
>>1061163

That's only assuming you're working full time at minimum wage. The hourly rate is $17.50ish - which is probably what you'll get if you're working a casual job.

Median rent in Melbourne is around $390 per week, while in Sydney it's over $500. What you get for that amount of money depends entirely on how far outside of the city centre you're willing to live and how many people you're willing to share with, obviously.
>>
>>1061153
That doesn't entitle you to a visa unless you marry him.
>>
>>1061176
Well im going there for that. But i'm gonna go study and work as i've said before.
How am i gonna get it? IDK like the american visa. Just apply to it and hope for the best i guess? Any tips?
>>
>>1061167
The closest to the center the cheapest? or viceversa?
>>
Australia's fucked because the mining boom is over and the shithole government squandered all the money.
>>
>>1061161
Not OP. I am interested in doing a one year Master's degree in Australia. Excluding tuition fees, how much should I have saved up before moving? Is the cost of living higher in Australia, Scandinavia or western Europe?
>>
>>1061167
The rental market in Melbourne is starting to burst with the huge amount of shitty apartments being built recently. So you can get a half decent place for $340 AUD a week not too far out of the city center.
Food can be cheap if you cook yourself.

>>1061203
This is true. Our dollar is terrible at the moment and only looks to be getting worse. This might make your peso go reasonably far.
>>
>>1061240
Well can coock myself. Im a chef after all.
Which troubles me the most is to get a job on my area. And the rent. Here on Argentina the system to rent an appartment (for one person, like one single room. that contains the kitchen and the bedroom and on one side on another room the bathroom. Quite popular for students here on argentina) is basically you need someone else with property on the country to sign for you in case you don't pay. But i can't ask my boyfriend as they don't have any property. And wouldnt feel ok asking him that.

Also the conversion of dolar/ars its less than 1dollar per ars. Basically. if i go there with 50k ars. (which is a lot could pay more than a year of rent with that) i will be with 5k dollars. How much is that? i mean. in terms of finding a place to stay. I can stay at least two weeks with my boyfriend. How hard would it be to find a place arround 6km away from the center of the city (assuming the further you are from the city its cheaper?)

Also. is this a good place to start?
http://www.realestate com.au/rent
Or should i try craigslist? kek
>>
>>1061200
Tourist Visa =/= Work Visa
>>
File: cronulla.jpg (853 KB, 2060x1236) Image search: [Google]
cronulla.jpg
853 KB, 2060x1236
>>1061218
it honestly depends where in Australia you're going. I've always lived in inner city sydney (<10km from city center) which expensive af. As a student you'd be looking at 200-300 on rent per week, if you wanna live super poor then maybe lke 500-600 a week minimum. Melbourne is a bit cheaper but not by all that much. Another fun fact about Australia is that all athe decent unis are smack bang in the middle of the cities so they're surrounded by expensive suburbs

pic related - racist dickheads
>>
>>1061200
In regards to visas, presuming you're under 30, pretty much anyone is eligible for a 1 year working holiday visa im pretty sure but I'm almost certain this doesnt allow you to study - pretty sure you need to pick one or the other.
>>
>>1061058
If someone begins to light up a cig, the ash tray gives them an easy way to quickly put it out.

Like if you see a sign that says "PLEASE RECYCLE" it's kind of pointless if the only bin beneath it is a trash can; better to put two bins under the sign, one for landfill and one for recyclables.
>>
>>1061376
>500-600 a week minimum
is that aussie or american dollars?
>>
OP: A single person on welfare in Australia gets around $500 per fortnight, so this should be your lower bound for budgeting for living expenses.

>>1061389
>>1061029
Ashtrays and no-smoking signs in lavatories can be traced to the '70s, long before blanket smoking bans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varig_Flight_820
>>
>>1061376
I was thinking about finding a place about 300-350 per week. Seemed the most reasonable seeing that most post on craigslist are paying 2-40 per hour. 30x8=240x7=1680 per week... seems reasonable or am i being too optimist?
>>1061382
Thing is my family can't afford hold me for one year. So i have to work. And im not going there if i can't study.... i am 20 btw
>>1061393
Im assuming we're only speaking of aussie and Ars money lol
>>
>>1061394
so? are they still using 40 year old doors today?
>>
>>1061161
>>1061167
Minimum wage is 17 but all casual jobs must pay an extra 25% to compensate for casual employees not getting paid leave etc

That means the casual minimum wage is 21, which will get you $840 full-time.
>>
>>1061402
Most Australian students rent a room in a sharehouse. It means you're sharing the kitchen and bathrooom with other people but they're usually decent houses and you can get room for between $100 and $200/week
>>
Wha't do you think is the best place to find this type of houses? Also. I don't think no one answered my question. The further you are from the city the cheaper?
>>
>>1061500
>Wha't do you think is the best place to find this type of houses?
Gumtree.com.au
Flatmate.com.au
realestate.com.au/share
au.easyroommate.com

And yeah, the further you are from the city the cheaper (generally). Houses are also larger the further from the city. If you're living in Melbourne make sure you're close to a train station or a tram line if you can. Makes getting around so much easier.
>>
>>1061514
Sooo i found this: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/st-kilda/property-for-rent/sassy-1-bedroom-apartment-with-courtyard/1098398718

I don't know. I have never rented an appartment in my life. Is it 350 for this a good deal? And by bound it mean monthly? or what?
>>
>>1061479
Not OP. I am a girl. Is it dangerous to share a sharehouse with a bunch of people/strangers?
>>
>>1061586
Generally should be fine as long as they have girlfriends and aren't Indian. Of course, vet them over Skype or in person if you can.
>>
>>1061593
It seems a bit risky though. My parents will be worried
i am also worried about stuff being stolen
>>
>>1060885
I live in a inner city sharehouse in Brisbane with international people.

Currently we have a Chinese guy, Sri Lankan guy and a Spanish girl and myself (a local) paying 350 weekly.

There is also no minimum stay, its very flexible because we get along with the owner. There are good deals like this out there you just have to find them.

They all study and work part time, rent is cheap but the place is old. A lot of the people who come through here do so to improve English.
>>
>>1061586
>Not OP. I am a girl. Is it dangerous to share a sharehouse with a bunch of people/strangers?
Occasionally but generally it's fine.

I've shared for years in aus and had a croatian ex-KLA guy threaten to stab me because I called him selfish for not taking the rubbish out.

That's about it.
>>
>>1061586
OP here. I think that's common sense. Yes it is, not only on australia but everywhere.

Im gay tho. So wouldn't mind to share it with a bunch of girls... Although my boyfriend would mind ...
>>
>>1061260
You usually wouldn't need a guarantor on your lease, but you will have to pay an upfront bond of $1000+. If you damage the property or don't pay the rent then they keep the bond, otherwise you get the bond back when you move out.

realestate.com.au/rent is a good place to start if you want an apartment to yourself, or if you are looking for a sharehouse then maybe try Gumtree.

Also, each major city has its own subreddit and some of them have decent FAQs about renting and stuff.
Example: reddit.com/r/sydney/wiki/accommodationfaq
>>
>>1062003
Thanks for the info!
>>
Hey guys. So... I have been chatting with an estudent councillor. She told me that the student visa allows me to work up to 20 hours per week. In my opinion, if what this guys says (>>1061167) is thruth. We can round it on 20 per hour. 400 per week. Its quite low. Any other visa that allows me to work more than that? and study at the same time?
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.