[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Teaching English as a female?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 465x349) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 465x349
I'm 20, currently taking TEFL courses and I have another 4 months to go, but I have already been receiving emails for job opportunities mostly based in East and South Asia.

Have you ever met a woman teaching English abroad? Are they treated differently? Less/more likely to be hired?

I ask because I'm the only female in my class, lol. I don't wanna sound like a feminist but I also don't want to be laughed out of a classroom in Japan, Egypt, etc.

Otherwise, I'm pretty pumped.
>>
Many women teach ESL abroad. For younger kids/kindergarten, etc. you will be actually favored over men. I worked for AEON (a big language school company in Japan) for a year. The other foreign teacher at my school was a woman. Most Japanese English teachers in Japan are women. You are creating things to worry about.

You are only 20. Do you have a bachelor's degree? If not, that will be the biggest impediment to you being hired rather than being a woman.
>>
>>1055418
I will also say be careful with the job offers you have coming in. You may or may not know, but ESL can be a very scummy industry. People are often exploited and taken advantage of. This is not so much the case in Japan, but it happens often in Korea, China and elsewhere. If you don't mind where you are placed, I'd highly recommend trying to get a public elementary school job in Korea (The public school jobs are great--if you keep an open mind and just smile and play the dumb, interested foreigner card always--everything should go smoothly). The public school foreign teacher program was scaled back massively a couple years ago, but I think it still exists in some capacity. There are only elementary school jobs available. Bluntly speaking-- single white women are the most in demand for elementary school jobs. They will be more competitive than they used to be, because of the cutbacks in positions, but if you can get a job they are quite good. You get a free apartment, a decent paycheck. Basically very comfortable and you can save lots of money. Especially if you are not a go out and party kind of person. I was in Korea in a public junior high before Japan, and it was great.
>>
>>1055422
I have an associates in communications (in which I plan on further completing online) and a certificate from the Harvard Extension School, also took 2 years of Arabic at a language school in my city.
>>
>>1055422
edit - my Arabic is beyond horrible, btw.

But thank you!!!
>>
>>1055424
I would love to work with kids!! Most of my friends I have met through TEFL classes teach at universities, however I'd totally teach for kids/teens.

No one ever told me, but I have expected that. Duly noted.

Does the same apply to private tutoring? Is it any easier to get a job as a private tutor over public school teacher? I would do both of given the opportunity.
>>
>>1055428
>teaching English
>all these typos

My bad, lol.
>>
If you do not have a bachelor's you can't teach in Japan or Korea period. I can't attest to other countries but generally speaking a bachelor's is needed for ESL jobs.

>>1055428

I don't think any country is going to give you a visa to come and do private tutoring. That is generally a side thing that ESL teachers do to supplement their income.
>>
>>1055418
which TEFL course are you taking, what were the pre-requisites?
>>
>>1055418
Do I know you?
>>
Nothing wrong with being a feminist pham, spend less time on pol
>>
>>1055418
There are a bunch of female ESL teachers in Thailand. Check out ajarn.Com for some blogs
>>
>>1055418
>Have you ever met a woman teaching English abroad?
Yes, several.

>Are they treated differently?
more favourably if anything

>Less/more likely to be hired?
More likely.
>>
>>1055418

See: >>1055543. I don't think anybody here cares if you sound like a feminist, provided you don't go overboard. Most of us who have been to other countries know that women aren't treated particularly well in many parts of the world.

Having said that, I've met plenty of ladies teaching ESL overseas who have done just fine. I don't have much experience with East Asia in general, but I know girls who have taught in Colombia, Turkey, and a number of other places. By and large, your skills and qualifications should matter more than your gender. Do you have a degree or certification? I think that'll be more important in determining if you can or will be sponsored for a working visa.

I met an Indian lady teaching English in Bogota in August. She said teaching was fun and easy and that a lot of people were interested in her and respected what she was doing. She actually didn't want to go back home because she was making more money in Colombia and felt more appreciated there.

Guess it'll mostly depend on where you get hired and whether you're a good fit with your institution's management and staff.
>>
You'll be fine in east Asia.
You'll be in hell in west Asia/middle east.

Even if you have a interest in arabic culture, after experiencing it first hand you will hate it.
>>
>>1055575
I know a few women teachin in UAE and Bahrain and they love it
>>
>>1055575

>t. le memester

I sincerely doubt that any responsible organization would put a white woman in Baghdad PS 116. If she found a job in the UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, or some similar country, she'd probably be teaching college students or young children, not chauvinist Allahu Akbar-ing Muslim Brothers.
>>
File: foreign.jpg (158 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
foreign.jpg
158 KB, 1600x900
>>1055582
>teaching college students or young children

She wouldn't be teaching college students in the livable Arab regions if she doesn't have a degree.

Teaching in Japan or Korea
>teachers are respected, students self discipline each other

Teaching Arabs
>teachers are infidels and not respected, students do whatever they want and teachers are in the wrong for trying to correct them

It's not a meme, the region is horrible, and for women even worse.
>>1049667
>>
>>1055580
>I dont want to be seem racist so I wont comment on the shitty culture
>>
No. That Bayern team is way overrated. The only teams they could truly dominate were Conte's Juventus in their first CL season and Barcelona who were in utter shambles at that point. They finished level on points with Valencia in the group stage (losing to BATE in the process), were 1 goal away from going out against fucking Arsenal, beat Dortmund on a last minute winner, beat Dortmund in the cup final with some major refball and couldn't beat Dortmund in the league

>bayern before poop
confirmed for only having watched Heynckes' Bayern play against Barcelona. They played possession football in every single game of that treble winning season other than 1 game vs Arsenal and the Barcelona tie
>>
>>1056743
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.