[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Interesting trains
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 463x318) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 463x318
Tell me your country's interesting trains. Luxury train? Railway gun? Anything is okay.
>>
>>1053591
>>>/n/
>>
>>1053591
>>1053600
>>1053591
>>1053600
Great post op, fuck this guy.

We have Amtrak, it's very slow but a very unique way to travel the USA. Would recommend for a short trip if you've never taken it
>>
aus regional trains are the best I've ever been on
all really really clean, safe, people will talk to you

trains in northern vietnam were the scariest I've ever been on
people would try to fore ther way into your cabin, shove packages through the windows, the toilets at both ends leaved into the hall, the train would stop for hours for no reason in the middle of a field
>>
>>1053623
I think I have to take an Amtrak train for a trip to New York next year, how much earlier than the departure time should I arrive at the station?
>>
>>1054007
You shouldn't need to be at the station more than about 8 minutes before departure, if you can be sure to be there. Maybe a little more time if this is your first time at the station, and are unclear as to how to get to the platforms. Certainly more time if you are uncertain as to how long it will take to get to the station. It may depend a bit on the station you are departing from. At urban stations like New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, or Washington, you just sit in the waiting room until they call boarding, then you go down to the platform and board the train. They might glance at your ticket before boarding or not. At lesser stops like Metropark, you just wait on the platform and get on the train when it arrives as soon as any departing passengers have left the train. It's fairly quick, and a lot simpler than air travel these days.
>>
>>1054015
Amtrak doesn't cover the whole country. Also they share the tracks with freight lines like UP and CSX so the freights have the right of way.
>>
>>1054016
Didn't mean to imply that the trains are fast, just that the boarding process is fast. And I've never seen an Amtrak train depart early, but sometimes hours late (for trains arriving late from off the Northeast Corridor).

Maybe the questioner can tell us where he would be departing from?
>>
>>1053623
I always take the amtrak from San Diego to South Orange County and live locally, its pretty great here in California though they could be a little cleaner I really have no complaints, the stations are always very clean and unique as well. I plan on one day taking a trip up to Santa Barbara via Amtrak from San Diego. I have an 80$ evoucher that I have had for nearly a year now that got renewed and I have nothing to use it on.
>>
>>1053623
I'm in Pittsburgh, I've got two weeks between terms and I've only seen the major Northeastern cities (Philly, DC, New York, Boston). Any cool places I could take an Amtrak to? For a cool destination or a cool trip or both. Can also visit my parents in Philly beforehand and depart from there if that makes more sense.
>>
>>1054017
This. From all my experiences going down to the states from Montreal for winter breaks there's almost always some nebulous delay starting up or a halt mid-trip caused by a freight shitting on the floor or because weather conditions on the tracks require a cleaning crew. On the plus side, it just means more time to enjoy the locations where the scenery gets gud or mingle with the other travellers.
>>
>>1054017
>Maybe the questioner can tell us where he would be departing from?
If I decide not to wimp out on the trip I'll be traveling from the train station in New London CT to Penn Station. It's for a concert at the Hammerstein (which seems to be pretty close to Penn) so I'll probably be staying overnight and returning to Connecticut the day after the show.

I'm also going to NYC on a bus next week so I was going to look around the area. I've never stayed overnight so I'm not sure what to do about a hotel/hostel room yet, unless I room with someone going to the show.
>>
The Ghan in Australia is a good choice if you want a sense of what most of the country looks like.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.