[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tips for NYC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: new-york-city.jpg (48 KB, 550x331) Image search: [Google]
new-york-city.jpg
48 KB, 550x331
Going to New York for ten days on Monday.

Anyone got any advice on how to get around and stuff to avoid? What's it like in terms of tipping?
Also, how long is it to get from Astoria to about the center of Manhattan and to JFK?
>>
Maybe 20 minutes from Astoria via the N train on the 31st Street el. Get the Long Island railroad train at Penn,get off at Jamaica then take the airtrain to JFK. If you want to get to JFK from Astoria,take the N,get off at Queensboro Plaza,go to the opposite side for the 7 train to Flushing,get off at 61 Street-Woodside then get the LIRR train to Jamaica then Airtrain.
>>
>>1052404
>All this.
Thanks buddy.
>>
Im going to NYC for 5 days on Sunday. Maybe we will brush shoulders.
>>
>>1052387
Get used to the sideways smelling like scents you've never smelled of before.
Like dog piss and hobo sweat.
>>
>>1052451
Yeesh.
I've heard about that but is it really THAT bad? I live in Greece. Rhodes more specifically but i lived a couple of years in Athens and downtown was always a mess in terms of smoke.
How bad is it really?
>>1052450
Where ya staying?
>>
>>1052454
In some areas it's REALLY BAD. you get used to it.
>>
>>1052456
I'm this guy
>>1052387
Don't play chess at union square otherwise the niggers will try and charge you money and threaten you. Fuckin bums.
>>
>>1052454
Not got accomodation sorted yet - im pretty stressed about it
>>
>>1052387
if you go to times square. Do not fall for the "I'm a aspiring rapper here's my album for free" it's a ruse they will then ask for a donation for their generosity and if you don't give then a donation they will take it back. I've never actually " traded a cd for a donation" so i don't know if it's actual good music or just loaded with a virus that will steal your identity.
>>
>>1052387
for tipping just tip them the minimal 15% of the total bill. Don't argue with them and don't pay anymore than 15%. Alot of new yorkers still think tipping is some type of optional thing but it really isn't at this point. The workers don't get paid enough if they don't collect tips so they will fight you for it.
>>
>>1052387
Tips on navigating manhattan.

all of midtown and i think some of downtown is really easy to navigate. Streets and Aves. I don't know what is common knowledge for other countries so i'll just say alot of redundant stuff. Streets are shorter and much more abundant Aves are longer and there is like only 11 of them or something. Rule of thumb is if you have been going up the Streets (increasing) then that means from the current direction you are going, if you go right you will decrease in aves and if you got left you will increase. Other than that look at subway maps they are pretty straight forward.
>>
>>1052475
>. The workers don't get paid enough if they don't collect tips so they will fight you for it.
They should spend some time here then. Tipping here isn't even a necessity or a practice that's adhered to.
It's a complete joke.
>>
Use your Google map to get around. There are paper maps to but the best ones are not sold much here. Hagstrom is the company and I used their maps when I was a messenger. They are the best so go to their website.

https://www.kappamapgroup.com/c-614-hagstrom.aspx
>>
>>1052474
Fucking this. One guy tried to stop me once while I was traveling and going between Port Authority and Penn. He was yelling after me all 'what? you don't walk to black people? you racist?'Even if I wasn't bogged down with luggage and had 15 minutes to catch a train I still wouldn't buy your shitty cd's.
>>
I'm going to NYC from feb 8-12. r8 my itenerary:
Top of the Rock
Ice skating (either at rockefeller center or central park)
China town
Irish hunger memorial
walk across brooklyn bridge
Metropolitan museum of art
Museum of natural history
look around greenwich village and soho
Anytihng I should add? Can I fit all of this into the time I have there?
>>
>>1052387
about 15 minutes by train to get into midtown from astoria.
you better tip 15-20% any waiters.
probably about 35 minutes from astoria to jfk

idk what u should do, not sure what you're into...
>>
File: tram.jpg (49 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
tram.jpg
49 KB, 400x267
Check out Roosevelt Island. Tourists never go there and half the people here dont even know it exists.

> but anon, why go to roosevelt island when you could go stand with other tourists in times square and get scammed by blacks with their mixtapes and overpriced hot dogs?

There's a goddamn cable car that leaves from 59th street in manhattan. You fly over the river right next to the bridge. If you take it at night you can see the whole city lit up. Roosevelt island has great views of manhattan and beautiful parks. The tram ride is the same as the subway. any metrocard will get you on. Its my standard recommendation for anyone visiting the city.
>>
>>1055036
good deal. I'll make sure to go there on my trip. My mom wants to go to times square but I think its a tourist trap so I'm trying to convince her to avoid it.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.