[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here ever tried to travel across the world without
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
Has anyone here ever tried to travel across the world without using an aeroplane? Would it still be possible today? How much money would it cost?
>>
Indigenous peoples of the Americas crossed it when it was frozen over over 10,000 years ago.
This is a pipe dream.

Assuming your car gets 350 mpg and its a 13000 mile drive you would have to refill your tank at least 37 times. If your car holds 18 gallons per tank and the average price of gas is $2.50, you would spend $1665 on 666 gallons of gas.
But, you would definitely have to have an offroad vehicle that can operate in various harsh conditions as well as a boat to cross the ocean at the strait. Also you will easily be spending large sums of money at once to pay for water and food during the long stretches.

Try it if you want, but I don't think anything less than 15 grand and a year of free time will suffice.
>>
>>1051546
You can't afford $15,000 (conservative estimate desu senpai) and a year off from work? How poor are you lololololol even the little street urchins in Mumbai can afford 15k and a year holiday
>>
>>1051527
It's possible. Some guys did it a few years ago by boat across the Behring and Atlantic, then biked across Russia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumnavigation#Human-powered

I don't know how you would cross oceans. You could time it to take cruises. There's Alaskan cruise ships that transfer at the end of the season in October. You could go from LA, Seattle or Vancouver to Japan or Australia. You could also do LA-Hawaii-Japan. There's some more common trans atlantic cruises, Cunard does UK-USA each way once a month.

There's also cargo ships, which tend to cost even more. Those have more space but with less amenities.

You could volunteer as a crew. There's websites like this
https://www.findacrew.net/
You could do South America to Australia that way, and then a lot of boats in the Mediterranean go to the Caribbean during the summer.
>>
With rail and cruise ships, if you time the Pacific crossing right, it shouldn't take more than a couple of months.
Celebrity cruise line says 15 nights Vancouver - Tokyo.
Cunard does Southampton to New York in 8 nights.
Amtrak does New York to Vancouver in 3 days
I seem to get a quote of 8 days Vladivostok to London.
Ferry between Japan and Vladivostok is 2 days.

So, with some time for connection, under two months.
If you want to actually see anything other than the inside of trains and ships, and port cities, you need to add more time.

Overland to the Bering Straits on either side, as in OP's image, would be difficult.
>>
>>1051527
How about driving London to Vladivostok instead? A lot easier on your car (paved roads most/all the way) and you will actually be able to take a ferry somewhere else after getting there.
>>
>>1051614
Why would you want to drive through russia? It's just days or weeks of driving through forest, not very scenic, they drive like crazy and if you get in an accident you're as good as dead in most parts of the country.
>>
>>1051527
You think someone planning the "most epic roadtrip" would figure out the difference between "straight and "strait."
>>
>>1051527
>aeroplane

Brrrinngg!
Hello, it's the 1930's, we want our antiquated words back.
>>
>>1051641
>You think someone planning the "most epic roadtrip" would figure out the difference between "straight and "strait."
>"most epic"
No, I'm not sure I would think that at all.
>>
Is it still possible to cross the Bering Strait? I thought they shut it off to the public a few years ago? Also I'd assume that traveling through the Middle East and India/China/Japan would be more interesting and varied than traveling through Russia, although it's probably best to avoid the Middle East completely at the moment.
>>
File: 1433821405448s.jpg (2 KB, 125x106) Image search: [Google]
1433821405448s.jpg
2 KB, 125x106
>>1051527
Did you just watch 'the long way round' and think 'hey I can do that'?
>>
>>1051668
"Aeroplane" is Commonwealth spelling, dipshit.
>>
>>1051901
That's what I said, antiquated.

Nah, I'm just playin', you're great.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.