[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hong Kong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1436928628002.jpg (30 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1436928628002.jpg
30 KB, 640x640
Aside from the usual giant buddha island type stuff, any of you dudes got recommendations for what to see/do in Hong Kong? I'm going there next week with my parents and brother. My brother and I will be spending a lot of time with them, probably, but I think we'll wind up having evenings/nights to ourselves.

I'm not super into nightlife, but get down occasionally. Into comics, fight sports, toys. Really liked Mandarake in Tokyo (which was a shopping complex full of that sort of stuff), wondering if there's anything like it in Hong Kong. Plus food recs, obviously.
>>
>>1050227
Lan Kwai Fong in central is your night life, Friday or Saturday night. Wednesday and Sunday nights, go to Wan Chai.
>>
Bumping for interest... I'm considering a trip in the next year bouncing over from Sapporo... When is best (weather and cost wise) time to visit? Is there any decent wildlife viewing opportunities. Food that cannot be missed on a 4 or 5 day stay?
>>
You could go visit in's point In Nathan road eat everything you see if you don't like Cantonese food try cafe de coral it's everywhere maybe go to wan chai for some bitches and you could visit women's market have fun Dude Hong Kong is awesome crazy people great food and the weather is nice the whole year except in Sommer
>>
>>1050352
>When is best (weather and cost wise) time to visit?
Winter is the best by a little bit, it doesn't actually get cold, just not as hot.

Summer is also typhoon season which is probably a bad time to come, though possibly a bit cheaper, not that you really notice in HK.

Never come in Chinese New Year.
>>
>>1050352
>decent wildlife viewing opportunities
There are parks and nature reserves in the north of New Territories, grab a bike and ride around them, hiking and stuff is pretty popular in HK amongst the middle-class. There are a few parks on HK island and probably the other islands but I don't know anything about them.
>>
Do people or places speak english there?
>>
>>1050399
will do, thanks man
>>
>>1050458
>english
It depends.

It's fairly common, especially in upmarket restaurants and hotels but it's not universal.

On the street, lots of people won't speak any or maybe just a few words.

If you eat at the cheap duck-rice restaurants then often there will be no English, not that you really need it. They might know the words for duck-rice but usually you just end up pointing.
>>
I just came back from Hong Kong.
Sai Kung is worth a visit.
Langham Place is a pretty cool shopping mall.
If you want to try some crazy food, look for Smelly Tofu (chou dou foo).
December is the best time to visit by far. The weather isn't hot and you've got christmas decorations everywhere.
Visit the typical street markets, Ladies Street, Garden Street. (Don't put your wallet in your back pocket when you go around these areas)
Take the ferry at night and visit Victoria Peak also at night.
>>
>>1050609
oh. and disney land and ocean park might be worth a visit if you're into that kind of thing.
>>
>>1050227
If you've had enough of the city get a ferry to Lam Ma or Cheung Chau. Beautiful islands, no cars, nice beaches.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.