[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Netherlands
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 883194_low.jpg (26 KB, 500x242) Image search: [Google]
883194_low.jpg
26 KB, 500x242
Going to Amsterdam for three days at the end of spring. I wanna plan a day-long cycling trip in the countryside nearby, where are the best landscapes ? Also cool places to hang out at without too many tourists ?
>>
How many kilometers can you go without collapsing? Also, are you planning to go from A to B or do a roundtrip?

Cycling past the Oude Amstel river would provide with you some nice scenery...
>>
Be sure to include Zaanse Schans. It's about 20 km from Dam Square, so definitely doable by bike.

Other than that, what would you consider your max distance? Are you a fanatic biker who can easily do 150 km a day, or more a recreational type who's going to be dead tired after doing 60?
>>
>>1049066
Roundtrip, anywhere between 15 and 35km would be nice. I don't mind riding the train to go out of the city either.

Isn't that the place with the mechanical bridge ?
>>
>>1049067
It's more recreational and more about landscape/sight seeing really, I mostly bike to get around easily (since I don't drive).
>>
If the train isn't a problem I'd also look into places like Hoge Veluwe or Biesbosch, both nature areas. Maybe something classic like a polder with windmills like Kinderdijk. Maybe an island like Texel (just take the boat from Den Helder and bring your bike)? Something along the IJsselmeer like Marken, Hoorn etc could be fun. For other towns along the sea Egmond aan Zee and Bergen aan Zee are nice.

Just google some of those and see what would suit your interests.
>>
>>1049070
Both Hoge Veluwe and the Kinderjik look like fun, thanks a lot !
>>
>>1049072
Abour Hoge Veluwe, it's a national park. There are 3 entrances. You pay a small amount to get in. Once in, the park itself has free bikes you can you to get around the park. Great system! There's a old hunting lounge you can visit as well as a fairly famous (modern) art museum called Kroller-Muller . Aside them there there is the beautiful nature and great cycling paths. Maps are free at the ticket office.
>>
>>1049073
Saw that on their website yeah. Is the city of Edam any good ?
>>
>>1049074
If you want classic Dutch small city then yes. I'd combine Edam with Volendam (fishing village) as they're so close to each other. Like 5 km or something.
>>
>>1049076
I have a soft spot for those old houses, they look just out of a fairy tale. Haarlem also sounds neat, but I'm afraid it would be too touristy ?
(just trying to make a list of things to see, I'll narrow it down later)
>>
>>1049077
Haarlem is no more touristy than Edam or Volendam. In fact I'd say it's less touristy than Volendam really.

Be sure to visit the Jopen church and brewery when in Haarlem. Great beer.
>>
>>1049079
Ok so I'll make sure to check it out ! Thanks anon.
>>
The easiest would be to follow the river Amstel to the south. You'll be in the countryside in no time and don't have to worry about directions. Some nice views, towns and forts along the way.

But my tip would be to cycle along the river Vecht. You can go by train to Weesp and then cycle along the Vecht to the south. The views and towns you cross are really nice and it has lots of beautiful 17th century "buitenplaatsen" (summer houses for the rich). You can also check out Muiderslot (a castle) and Naarden (a star fort) nearby.

In my opinion Volendam/Edam/Kinderdijk/Zaanse Schans are nice to walk around once and take some pics but don't offer much else, I would say Haarlem is a better choice. Beautiful city center, great to stroll around, great for shopping and having a beer outside somewhere. If you go by bike, you can also take a trip to the shore (Zandvoort/Bloemendaal aan Zee) and cycle through the dunes (Zuid-Kennemerland)
>>
File: IMG_20151012_1548.jpg (406 KB, 1152x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151012_1548.jpg
406 KB, 1152x2048
>>1049072
I live near kinderdijk, the Alblasserwaard is the area to the right of it, all the way towards Leerdam between the two rivers with the Biesbosch south of it.
I'm happy to bike along with you and take trains everywhere for a day or so.

Pic related somehow, windmill near oud alblas this summer
>>
>>1049881
wow this is so lovely, and thanks anon, that's really nice of you ! I think I'll stick to Haarlem and the countryside around it since I'll arrive in the morning, but if you wanna bike with me still it could be fun.
>>
>>1049097
Any good recommendation for beer ? I'm really bad at them, more of a wine person to be honest.
I'm more into asian beer (singha, tsintao) if anything, blond, really light and tart.
>>
>>1050829
Just go to any bar and get them to recommend a Belgian beer. You cannot go wrong.
>>
>>1050829
For regular Dutch pilsener I'd go with Hertog Jan. Feel free to try Grolsch, Amstel or Heineken. Those probably make up the big four here. It's all a matter of personal preference. Brand is also a good option.

But if you want some special Dutch beers I'd go with La Trappe (Dubbel, Tripel, Quadrupel if you like it real heavy). I'm a fan of Jopen too. There's tons of great craft beer. Maallust, Bax, Uiltje... And they all make tons of different things.

Just have a good talk with the bartender, you'll be fine. In a good bar they can tell you a lot about how it tastes.

But, as said, the best beer beer in the Netherlands is mostly Belgian or German.
>>
>>1051344
>best beer beer in the Netherlands is mostly Belgian

Correct

>German.

Now you just went full retard
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.