[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey folks, I have a little question... Does somebody know where
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Hey folks, I have a little question... Does somebody know where is this coin from? I went to L.A last week. And found it on the floor of a restaurant.
>>
>>1048829
Looks like 10 baht coin bro
>>
its a canadian toonie
>>
>>1048832
Yep.
10 baht coin.
>>
File: dogecoin.jpg (33 KB, 600x457) Image search: [Google]
dogecoin.jpg
33 KB, 600x457
>>1048829
dogecoin.
>>
>>1048829
Its a Thai 10 Baht coin.

There was a common scam in Europe, to use it in place of the 2 Euro in vending machines and to try to pass it off as a 2 Euro coin. It actually did work in a few vending machines, but most of them have changed.
>>
File: 20140921_132654.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20140921_132654.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1536
>>1048829

Thai 10 baht, worth around 30 cents.

Can anyone guess where these are from without reading the coins?
>>
>>1048955

Bottom one is surely Transnistria, i don't think there's any other country that still uses the hammer and sickle (or did in 2005) that also uses the Cryllic alphabet.

Top one i have no idea, looks like and old Saudi Arabian coin.

Ive always wondered, the Arabic writing on the top of the coin, teres all these little tiny ticks and details above and below the writing in the middle, are these little dots and details needed to read it or are they done simply to make it look nicer. Same with the writing on the Saudi Arabian flag, do the little tiny details mean anything or is it just to make it look nice?
>>
>>1048955
Top right Mozambique?

Bottom left Russia?
>>
>>1048868
Thank you.
>>
>>1049224
They mean things (or so my Arabian friends tell me), they're most likely diacritics related to vowels or vowel length, if I had to hazard a guess.
>>
>>1049273
>>1049224
yes, most of them are short vowel diacritics and not usually used outside of the qur'an, calligraphy or childrens books.
some of the marks are purely calligraphic though
>>
>>1049224

>Bottom one is surely Transnistria, i don't think there's any other country that still uses the hammer and sickle (or did in 2005) that also uses the Cryllic alphabet.

Correct. It is pretty easy if you recognize the symbol and the writing.

Second one isn't Saudi Arabia, but your quite close.

>>1049238

>Top right Mozambique?

Nope, hint is that its close to Saudi Arabia.
>>
Here is something that I like to do. I have all these foreign coins at home, ostly SEA. When I'm home I like to leave them on a sidewalk, or like OP in a restaurant. When someone finds it and sees its from some far away place, they get all excited, even if its only 200 Indonesian.
>>
>>1049273
>>1049276

That's interesting, ive always wondered, thanks.

Are they hard to read? (Like some fancy handwriting in English is hard to read)
>>
>>1048955
top left is 5 rial, iran
>>
>>1049276
They are actually integral parts of the letters. The connected parts of many letters are exactly the same, but the number and position of the dots entirely change the sound they make. Other marks indicate a glottal stop. There are also additional marks for short vowels but as you said they are rarely used.

The problem is with calligraphy they often move the dots away from their letters so it can be very hard to put everything in its place and make sense of it.
>>
>>1048955

> moldavskay respublyka

Bottom one is Moldavia
>>
>>1048955
Top right is Yemen, still got some of those coins rolling around in the bottom of my bag.
>>
>>1048955
5 Kopek, 100 kopeks to the Ruble .. Russian Comrade
>>
File: P1060929.jpg (5 MB, 4320x3240) Image search: [Google]
P1060929.jpg
5 MB, 4320x3240
Here's another set of coins, try and guess where they come from.

Chances are some of you have been here, but probably didn't see many coins, they are somewhat hard to come by and the ones with the starts on them are special and are very uncommon.

Sorry they are in plastic, its just to stop them from getting scratches as most are in good condition.

>>1051109
>>1048955

Correct (Well kind of)

The top coin is from Yemen, though its a uncommon coin from South Yemen (Also known as the Democratic Republic of Yemen), a communist state that existed in the cold war period for a number of years.

Bottom coin as already stated was a 5 kopek coin from Transnistria, the last country to use Soviet imagery in its flag and state symbols.

If you have any of these in your spare change, they are pretty uncommon and people buy them for a bit.
>>
>>1051860
Aren't they just one of the Koreas?
>>
>>1048955
Top left: Iran

bottom left: Russia

Top right: Yemen or Oman?

bottom right: Moldova

>>1049224
They are diacritics, as Semitic alphabets do not (did not historically anyway) account for vowels. That's why sometimes ancient Hebrew or Arabic scrolls are open to interpretation, sometimes it depends on the vowel sound. The diacritics make it more clear what vowel is intended.

>>1051860
Best Korea, no doubt.

I have a large bunch of coins and bills, at least one from every place I've been. Favourites are the Indian coins which have a hand with the number of fingers up to tell illiterate users what the coin is worth. (0 is a fist, 1 finger or 5 finger rupees). I also have some Egyptian piastre bank notes, which must be kinda old as the coins are current legal tender. But I got them as change. Maybe someone short changed me with worthless old notes, but since everything in Egypt is so cheap to be almost worthless, I feel I lucked out.
>>
>>1051860
I don't know what's on the other side of the Yemeni coin, but they're still using that design today.

I guess those are North Korean?
>>
>>1051869
Again on the Persian alphabet, I'm pretty sure those aren't vowel diacritics, although some of them could be because it's too shitty quality for me to read. Three of the Persian vowels are written (the long ones) and the three short ones aren't written but are only indicated with marks for beginner learners. Most of the marks on that coin are either parts of letters, glottal stops or a tashdid which kind of makes a double consonant.
>>
>>1052012
You could be right. Farsi isn't a Semitic language after all, even though the script is derived form Arabic... quite possible they represent other information.
>>
>>1052021
Persian and Arabic basically have the same alphabets, just with some modified letters and sometimes different sounds for the same letters. As far as I'm aware what I wrote above stands for Arabic as well, although I haven't formally studied that as I have Persian.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.