[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So a friend on facebook announced that they will be backpacking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: 2008.jpg (36 KB, 500x310) Image search: [Google]
2008.jpg
36 KB, 500x310
So a friend on facebook announced that they will be backpacking Southeast Asia for the billionth time. It's like the new Daytona Beach.

Why is this? Is it simply because it's an exotic and beautiful place? If so, why there? It seems like there's 20 people backpacking Southeast Asia for every 1 backpacking South America, and I'm sure all of them have their shitty parts. This is coming from a half-filipino who rather drive from Vancouver to Alaska and experience the beauty of his own province than fly over to his motherland.
>>
Ladyboys are popular
>>
South East Asia is
1. Cheap
2. Safe
3. Easy to enter/get visa
Europe, USA, Australia is not cheap at all
South America is more dangerous and more expensive
Africa is more dangerous, more expensive, hard to get visas
Russia and CIS: not so convenient to get visa, became cheap only very recently
Middle East is mostly dangerous or closed.
>>
>>1048781

Hence the reason I've always been reluctant to go to Southeast Asia. It's basically a babby-tier destination for babby-tier travelers who want to say they've been somewhere poor and exotic. Of course, half the time they just stay in a massive tourist bubble, exploit locals, and act like a bunch of drunken and drugged out bogans.
>>
>>1048789
As an American surprisingly few travel to SEA, versus Latin America, Carribean, and Europe, for obvious reasons.
>>
>>1048791
This list is from 2012, from the National Travel and Tourism office, bur here are Americans top destinations:

1) Mexico
2) Canada
3) U.K.
4) Dominican Republic
5) France
6) Italy
7) Germany
8) Jamaica
9) China
10) Spain
11) India
12) Japan, Costa Rica
13) Ireland
14) Netherlands
15) Hong Kong
16) Israel
17) Philippines
18) Switzerland
19) South Korea
20) Colombia
21) Austria
22) Taiwan
23) Brazil
24) Greece
25) Peru
26) Thailand, Cayman Islands
27) Russia
28) United Arab Emirates
29) Argentina
30) Singapore
31) South Africa
32) Poland, Ukraine, Morocco
>>
>>1048793

I'd like to see a list of places by demographic, the people in their 20's will probably have different preferences than the people in their 50's.

Or maybe it's a Vancouverite...most of us are either the rich-child braggy type that fits >>1048789's description, or simply super out-doorsy.
>>
>>1048791
>>1048803

I traveled around Colombia a few months back. The only city I consistently met Americans in was Cartagena. Most of the folks I met were Australian or French, with a good number of Canadians thrown into the mix.

We're just not a very adventurous people, for better or worse.

At any rate, I don't want to criticize people who travel around SEA - I'm sure for many, it's a rewarding and worthwhile experience. I've just never had much of an interest in going. It seems like India, except worse and with more "lads." Obviously you can escape from all that, but the SEA stories I've heard are all pretty bland and boring.
>>
>>1048793
>>1048791
Americans usually go to other parts of the US for vacations. If they really want to go on a tropical vacation- they go to places like Hawaii, Florida, Mexico, or the Caribbeans- because airfare is cheap, there are vacation packages available, and they are usually family friendly destinations.

Going to Southeast Asia is more of an Australian and European thing. Its too expensive for many Americans to fly to.
>>
Well flights are as cheap as they've been for a long time and the USD (as well as other western currencies) are very strong against asian currencies too.

I think safety is a huge part of it as well. South America is rapidly going to shit. A lot of people I know have been victims of serious crimes there... fortunately no one hurt. Whereas the onl stories I hear from SEA have been of scams and pick-pocket type crimes.
>>
>>1048774

Because there are alot of other backpackers it is a backpackers favourite. You can meet people with the same mindset.
>>
Their tourism infrastructure is well developed and has been a popular destination for people to see for a long long time now. Now a days a lot of people go because they see others going there.

On top of that, a lot of people from the west have build a certain mindset towards the Orient and this region pretty much builds on all of their views of the region.
>>
>>1048774
I personally only backpack in bhutan, vanuatu, and tajikstan.

I'll kill myself before any of those plebs from facebook i went to school with share any of my superior travel experiences.
>>
>>1048791

Very true. I lived in Southeast Asia for a few years and rarely met any Americans.
>>
Southeast Asia is cheap, safe, cheap, cheap, easy, cheap, warm, cheap.

>Western Europe is outrageously expensive for almost everything
>Eastern Europe isn't that much cheaper, and terrible for scams
>North America is only affordable to travel if you buy a van and sleep in it; public transport is outrageously expensive
>Ditto Australia
>Latin America is terrible for crime and scams
>Southern Africa can be really hard traveling, and dangerous in spots
>North Africa and Middle East is pretty much a no-go zone for Westerners at this point
>South Asia: designated
>China is an ecological disaster zone
>Japan and Korea are expensive and really hard to navigate as a Westerner
>The ex-Soviet Union is a massive bureaucratic headache, extremely expensive in spots, and involved mind-bending distances

Think about what it would cost someone who just showed up on an airplane to travel from Vancouver to Alaska. You'd be HAEMORRHAGING money every minute.
>>
>>1048789
I traveled around Africa and Central America (plus East Asia and North America) before I ever went to Southeast Asia. I couldn't get over how incredibly cheap and easy Southeast Asia was to travel: there's a reason it's so popular.

Yes, it's not great for bragging about, but for just chilling and enjoying yourself I don't think it can be beat.
>>
>>1049417
Fucking pleb paying for tours to Bhutan. I hiked through Tibet and Kashmir while avoiding official border crossings, eating mostly rice and wild animals I caught on the way.
>>
/trv/'s general disdain for SEA makes me realise I have no idea what most of you actually travel for. SEA has incredibly good, uniquely varied food for absurdly cheap prices, stunning scenery, wildlife, extensive cultural heritage and modern megacities. Like, I just have no idea what attracts you to a place if none of that appeals.

Sometimes people seem to be almost ranking the quality of destinations based on the perceived quality of the OTHER FOREIGN TRAVELLERS they'll meet there, which seems like total insanity to me.

(Personally I travel for food, and to get out of the year-round miserable weather of my homeland.)
>>
>>1049589

Those are good points. I'm one of the people who doesn't have a big cultural interest in Southeast Asia, and part of the reason I'm not huge on going is because of the "craaaazy" activities other travelers seem to tout as being the best parts. Having said that, I'm not going to rule out an area just because what other people seem to like to do there doesn't appeal to me. After all, a country or region is more than it's tourism industry.

However, I do think you need to recognize the powerful interplay between image and interest. It might be stupid, but it is influential, both for people who are considering a destination and those who are in charge of its tourism industry.
>>
>>1049544
What does designated mean?
>>
>>1049631
designated shitting streets
>>
>>1048781
South America isn't all dangerous, there are plenty great and safe places. Neither is Africa, countless great places too, like Senegal, which is the most politically stable country in sub Saharian, or Morroco in Maghreb which is fucking awesome.

Some places in the Middle East are great too, like Afghanistan. The Wakhan corridor is very safe and great to tour on bike.

And then there are all those cool islands in the Pacific, from New Zealand to French Polynesia.

People are just poorly informed, and good information on SEA sure isn't lacking.
>>
File: welcometo4chan.jpg (317 KB, 1120x744) Image search: [Google]
welcometo4chan.jpg
317 KB, 1120x744
>>1049631
>>
>>1049810

Not that dude, but I've been on 4chan for about ten years. Sometimes I'll end up traveling or getting very busy with school or work, and I miss out on all the fresh new memes. "Designated" is pretty new - and quite stupid - and isn't posted anywhere except for a few containment boards and by a couple of idiots here. Wouldn't be easy to miss, in all honesty.
>>
>>1049589
this
>>
>>1048793
I'm surprised there's no Scandinavian country on that list.
Is it because Americans are afraid they'll find a country better than theirs?
>>
>>1048774
it's funny because Americans never go to SEA unless they have family there
So me going is actually super unique of course I'm going for the culture architecture and food but i mean I'll fool around with some ladyboys as well.

Americans are not adventurous at all and we generally go to fucking resorts because we are retarded idk why so many of you have fucking chips on your shoulder for SEA or Thailand specifically
Lots of american go to Mexico but that doesn't make it a shit destination.

I'm with this guy>>1049589

>>1048774
Ok OP
If you want to be different go to Botswana it's a nice country with low crime and really nice land/nature
not a lot of tourist but if you are scared of seeing white people born in Africa then don't go.
>>
>>1048781
Pretty much this.

Also, unlike the majority of China, for example, their tourist industry is developed enough that they can manage with just English. Most places outside of the main cities in China and you're fucked without Mandarin, in my experience. Plus, tricky with visas etc by comparison.
>>
>>1049417
This desu family
>>
>>1049572
>not engaging in sectarian violence in Burma for full cultural integration

Might as well have booked a package holiday to Magaluf tbqh
>>
>>1050057
Americans think Scandinavia is a frozen barren tundra. When America thinks Norway they think vikings, Sweden , they think giant blond people. I don't think we think of Finland at all.
>>
>>1048789
Well it depends on where you go doesn't it. It's a big region, I've been really remote areas that are not easy to get around and where tourists aren't catered for AT ALL. I found the whole drunken asshole western tourist thing is a bit overblown though, I've been to all of SEA for long periods of time and it's really not that prevelant unless you are looking for it, ie - full moon party
>>
>>1048774
It's not hard to figure out why SE Asia is the place to go for "exotic" travel.
Mainly because there's not much other choice

Note these are the ideas in the minds of people and not necessarily true.

>Europe/North America
Not Exotic or different enough
>Africa
I will die of poverty
>Islamic world
I will be beheaded on the internet
>China
It's impossible to navigate
>South America
Drug cartels will kill me

So it leaves India and SE Asia. It's safe, cheap, and different enough. Of course those points above aren't exactly true, you can travel to all those countries and be fine, but that's just the popular conceptions.
>>
>>1050101
China is easy enough to navigate if you speak even half-decent Mandarin. Trains in China go EVERYWHERE, for all that they can be shitty and uncomfortable, it's actually one area in which China is better than some European countries.

Actually doing those train trips can range from excellent fun to absolutely horrible, just depends. Know a few Real Travellers who always opt for either Hard Seat or Standing - best of luck is all I can say. Hard Sleeper is okay, but a bit of a pain in the ass, Soft Seat is fine. No idea about Soft Sleeper
>>
>>1050101
>So it leaves India

get raped. Backpacker babes is pretty much only SEA. Some do South America, but get killed is the popular thinking there. Especially after those Danish female backpackers disappeared
>>
>>1050101
But what about Japan and Korea for backpackers? What about the Pacific Islands?
>>
>>1050067

>I'll fool around with ladyboys too

Why can't people ever talk about Thailand without bringing their whoremongering into the conversation?
>>
>>1050113
most ladyboys are not whores and they are the most interesting and fun loving thai people generally more worldy and less focused on Thailand Über Alles.

Most are just regular people taking care of their family with city jobs

Plus i like transsexuals so it's a plus that i have been into Thai culture since I was a wee lad

Was a Siamboo before i even knew much about japan Korea or china
Thailand especially pattya has the same problem Amsterdam has
>>
>>1050117
Co sign. On all accounts, and I am not into ladyboys. But have plenty of ladyboy friends. Most work in retail, or salons. Agree on Pattaya, most of Pattaya has nothing to do with the sex industry. I know plenty of regular Thais there as well. My girlfriend's whole family lives in Pattaya (originally from Rayong). Also know a Thai chick who grew up in Texas who now lives in Pattaya.
>>
>>1050112
They are expensive idiot
>>
>>1050133
The OP wasn't just exclusively about broke backpackers but SEA popualrity in general. Though tickets are more expensive to these places, as far as flights, is staying in hostels, or even actual backpacking more expensive on Palau, or Yap, versus Indonesia or Malaysia?
>>
>>1049589
I don't genuinely believe the people who are bashing a whole region of the world. If the opportunity came up they would definitely go there. Or these people have just done little to no research into the region and are talking out of their ass.

The only thing I can come up with as an explanation is that a lot of people go there to party. As >>1049599 has said, people go there for the "craaaazy" activities like the full moon party or riding elephants and we all know that 4chan is more of a place where you don't see those "type" of people. But for example, when you hear someone say they went to Mexico, do you assume they went to one of the resorts? Because where I live that's pretty much all I ever hear. I don't know a single person who genuinely traveled around Mexico. When I went people were saying shit that I will be murdered and robbed and all these other horrible things will happen to me. I almost sense a similar vibe from pretty much all of SEA because most people are pleb tourists who go to resorts or Bali/Phuket/Borocay and that's the image others see on their facebook feed.
>>
>>1050103
>China is easy enough to navigate if you speak even half-decent Mandarin.
Sorry, I really don't want to be mean but you do realize just how stupid this sounds, right? Every country in the world is easy to travel in if you speak the local language. And Mandarin is not a language which you can learn a few phrases quickly and get by.
>>
>>1050158
this
>>
>>1050158
>>1050264
Not that guy but I spent 15-30 mins a day for a few weeks and that was enough Chinese to get all over the place in China. I definitely don't have any special language-learning ability that would make me any better than anybody else.

If that is too much, all you would need is a chinese translator app and knowledge of about 10 characters and you could navigate the train system.
>>
>>1049572
Can you show some light on your wild travels where you crossed international borders without being caught by Inidan and Chinese Military ! cool
>>
>>1050158
I never said that you could just pick it up, I was implying that you'd study it a bit before you went.
>>
>>1050335
I wrote about it in my journal.
>>
>>1050417
Live journal
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.