[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The truth about traveling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 11
File: tips_souvenir.jpg (103 KB, 866x1300) Image search: [Google]
tips_souvenir.jpg
103 KB, 866x1300
'Travel' as leisure is for schmucks

Thankfully I realized this early on life as a child/teenager, having spent a cumulative year of my life in several dozen countries, but many people have never been overseas before and get lured into this scam because they hear about how great it supposedly is.

You want to experience 'travel'? Go to that local suburb you've never been to. Or go to a nearby nature reserve; there's bound to be one. Stay there a day; a week; a month - it doesn't matter.

The truth is that the world is pretty much the same wherever you go, or at least your experience of it is. At least if you stay local you won't bleed a fuckton of cash in the process.

If you're looking for an 'experience', 'new friends', girlfriend, etc. then forget about it. Lots of naive fools have been duped by this one. 20-somethings drifting through life with nothing to show for it, so they think that if they travel they'll be treated as a god in another country (exoticism) and they'll be molded into a new experienced person with a lot of great stories to justify their existence with.

Protip: The only thing they'll treat you as a god for is your wallet, and you'll be the same empty shell but with $X,000 less cash in your pocket and a month or two shaved off your life by the time you get back.

Travel isn't even fun. It's not leisure. Leisure is playing vidya, talking with a friend or walking along a beach at dusk and collecting sea shells. Very little of travel has anything to do with any of that sort of thing. No, here's your 'itinerary': Up 5AM sharp. Pack luggage. 6 hours in taxi, customs, duty-free and waiting for boarding. 12 hour flight and checkout. Sleep because you're buggered. Too bad, 5AM sharp. Eat stale croissant with bar of butter. Exchange $1000 of your rapidly depleting savings for local at jew rates. Spend 12 hours on 'tour' (90% window-watching getting from point A to B, and trash trinket buying). Sleep in unfamiliar hotel bed. Repeat until completion.
>>
>>1046186
The only good time to travel is with friends.
>>
what if you just really want to experience different cultures/surroundings? i get the trope of the yuppie white 20-something instagramming every little place he goes and romanticizing poverty, and it's obnoxious. but can't a person be self-aware and just really want to see another part of the world? people have done that for centuries
>>
File: troll face jr.png (64 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
troll face jr.png
64 KB, 894x894
Do not feed.
>>
>>1046186
>The truth is that the world is pretty much the same wherever you go

Tell that to someone living in Iowa who has never seen the mountains or an ocean...
>>
>The truth is that the world is pretty much the same wherever you go

Bitch please. In my entire country there isn't a single point of elevation above 400 meters, and I bloody well like climbing mountains.
>>
>Travel isn't even fun. It's not leisure. Leisure is playing vidya
>playing vidya

I want /v/ to leave.
>>
>implying Tokyo and Los Angeles are the same
>>
>>1046195

But I brought a whole bag of peanuts!!
>>
>>1046186
as someone currently planning a trip, this depresses me :( it's pretty true: booking tours that leave early in the morning, followed by couple hours of bus, then couple hours of "free hours" then some souvenir

how to have more meaningful trips?
>>
>>1046386
don't plan
>>
>>1046412
this
>>
>>1046412
like don't book hotel ahead of time? and skip the landmarks tours? doesn't seem cost effective to me...
>>
>>1046526
fuck your landmark tours and cost effectiveness. those are for your prolonged weekend or 7 day vacations. travel for an extended period of time instead of trying to shove as many experiences, sightseeings, expensive meals etc. into a few handful of days. travelling like that wont give you any insight or let you tune in with the country you're visiting. do a month. maybe two. hell, go for a few months

regards me
a smart motherfucker
>>
>>1046186

Thank you /trv/ for not feeding this try-hard too much bait. Let's do the typical thing and turn this into an informative discussion for people with actual questions and concerns.
>>
>>1046546
sadly some people don't have the luxury to travel for a month at a time :(
>>
File: httpmirsexy.compub1855.jpg (510 KB, 1818x1228) Image search: [Google]
httpmirsexy.compub1855.jpg
510 KB, 1818x1228
>>1046186
HOLY SHIT. i thought im the only one who thinks this... i think traditional traveling as for sightseeing/barhoping whatever is ass

i travel for hicking it is cheap and good for your health and you can see things. thats my prefered method.
>>
File: 1422637593027.jpg (124 KB, 714x582) Image search: [Google]
1422637593027.jpg
124 KB, 714x582
>>1046186
Holy shit this was some of the worst b8 attempt I've seen here on /trv/. You suck
>>
>>1046605
Tbh it is all pretty accurate except the last paragraph.
>>
File: 1444649212631.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1444649212631.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>1046186
I've travelled alot and it never changed me in the slightest.

A change of scenery/culture can be nice sometimes.

But people who believe that shit are duped.
There's no great adventure or love out there.
>>
>>1046900
>There's no great adventure or love out there.
Yeah nah, you're wrong. My 2.5 years on the road were life changing.
>>
>>1046665

>the world is pretty much the same wherever you go
>you'll be the same empty shell but with $X,000 less cash in your pocket

No.

The whole thing is a personal thing at best and you view on travel is just your own personal preference. This post it is most likely is b8 because he has posted it on the trv board, why would you do that aside to stir shit.

For the sake of board quality, dont bump this, if you need to reply please sage your posts.
>>
>>1046186
>If you're looking for an 'experience', 'new friends', girlfriend, etc. then forget about it.

Worked for me. Maybe you're autistic?
>>
>>1046186

>The truth is that the world is pretty much the same wherever you go, or at least your experience of it is.

Not really.
>>
>>1046186
Oh boy, here we go again.

>If you like what I don't like, you're doing it wrong! Ima tell you how to REAL TRAVEL™ now.
>Travelling to a suburban dogpark a mile from home is the exact same as going to Tokyo
>>
>>1046186
okay troll thread maybe 5/10
>>
lmaoing @ your life OP and everyone who agrees too
if you cant find adventure, experience,friends and girls traveling you've got nobody to blame but your own boring ass
go back to your office or neet basement or wherever
sage
>>
>>1046186
True wherever you live it is pretty much the same.
Living is not shaped by scenery, it shaped with interaction with people.
Experiencing culture is two sided. If you're going to be apathetic to your surroundings, chances it is pretty much the same whenever you go.
I agree that experiencing a different travel by going to suburbs works. Thus being said, traveling farther doesnt make it only a waste of money.
Travel itinerary are shit, but sometimes it does justify the effectiveness. And true you dont have much free time.
True that some people only travel just for show off (jesus,take your children when they're older,they will not remember shit).
>>
File: IMG_0483.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0483.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
I travel just to get away. I have friend overseas and I like to visit them every so often. I go to other places just so I can be someone else for a little while, so I can do things I wouldn't do at home. You meet people, make a connection and never hear from them again, for some people that might be sad but I like it. You hear stories from other people and put yourself into situations you'd never find yourself in otherwise.

I agree that the world is more or less the same anywhere you go, some places with more creature comforts than others. I know it sounds corny but I travel to rid myself of responsibility for a little while and be alone with my thoughts for a month or two or longer. When the I come home after a trip and I don't feel like I've grown as a person, that's when I'll stop traveling.
>>
>>1046902
>>1046926
>>1046931
>>1046936
>>1046940
>>1047358

>b-b-but it's just your subjective experience!

If you can't find love, friends, 'adventure' here then you won't find it there. It's even harder over there because you're a foreigner. Think about how unlikely it would be for you to fall in love with some foreigner who came to your area and talked to you. It might be fun and exciting, but it's a shallow bond.

'Travel' is a bullshit pursuit as I alluded to my original post. Unless you consider the medieval pilgrimages 'leisure', the purpose of travel was work or refinement. The word 'travel' itself derives from the words for 'torment'/'toil'. Travel as pleasure didn't become a thing until around the 17th century, when urban areas started to become crowded and made natural habitat attractive rather than mundane.

Now it's all about icons, natural or man-made. Note how few travelers give a shit about skyscrapers or beaches or forest tracks. They all want to see the Grand Canyon, the Eiffel Tower, the Leaning Tower of Piza, some great cathedral in central Europe, Disneyland or the tallest tree in the world.

However if you've ever been to any of these places you'll know that you're wasting your time going there. There are so many other schmucks around you when you get there that you can't concentrate on what you're looking at or get a feeling for the place. Everyone is crowding around you, bumping into you and flashing their cameras. And because its so crowded, you're not allowed to touch anything and everything has a 'NO FLASH' sign and roped poles in front. When I went to Stonehenge, the distance between the fence and the rocks themselves must have been about 50m. Similar with the big ass trees in America. You may as well just stay at home and google these places and the relics. If you've ever been to see icons like these, you'll know just how important it is to be able to touch them and examine them by yourself alone.
>>
>>1047891
please be b8 seriously nobody can be this retarded
>>
>>1046940

BTW I've been to Tokyo, and I can tell you that I enjoyed much more spending a few weeks in a small town beside an obscure beach, than the two weeks I spent in Tokyo.

In fact, the image most burned into my memory from Tokyo was sitting in the reception area of a skyscraper hotel, looking at the surrounding skyscrapers outside, and mostly men in grey suits rushing around with white facial masks because of the thick off-white smog outside.

The culture was definitely distinct, but that doesn't translate to enjoyable. Living in that kind of environment is uncomfortable and stressful, and not because I didn't have fun there. For those who haven't gone overseas, have you ever gone into the inner city when you haven't been before and you feel slightly overwhelmed? It's like that, but imagine you don't know the local language or cultural norms either.

And don't go on with some 'that's just you' bullshit. Everyone experiences stress in unfamiliar surroundings. It often culminates in 'homesickness', which is a very common experience.

And a piece of advice for the neckbeard weeaboos who want to go to Japan because they want to find their waifu - just don't. Out of the countries I've been to it's definitely up there as one of the most unique, but because it's so alien you'll be an outsider. You won't even make friends there, unless its with some lonely expat.
>>
>>1047895

Stay mad faggot, you're not getting back that $5K you blew on a trip to yurop
>>
>>1047901
I live in Europe though. Seriously the more you write, the more you just sound like an angry autist who traveled and didn't like it and now wants to think that nobody should like it. And doing that with arguments that..I don't even know where to begin with, it's all just retarded babbling
>>
>>1047902

I explain the reasoning for my arguments

You just say 'THIS IS B8 GUYS PLS DNT LISTEN TO HIM!!! HES AN AUTIST!!!!'

Yeah, I traveled and I didn't find it to be anything amazing, and I'm sharing that with others here so they don't make a big mistake and blow thousands in cash for nothing.

That's my reason for posting, but what's yours? Are you perhaps butthurt by my post because your insecure about your own mediocre travel 'experiences'?
>>
I like trv because it's not like b. Except for this terrible thread.
>>
>>1047907
yeah but your reasons don't make any sense. You're saying that traveling is shit because you didn't enjoy going to touristic places. That's too unfortunate but I'd like to see the point where that led to encouraging other people not to travel.

My reason is because I've genuinely enjoyed every trip I've done so far
>>
OP, you're just salty because you don't have money, you don't have an established cool set of skills, and you're not attractive.

If you have all three, you can wander the world forever, always respected by locals, always doing interesting things, fucking interesting women, etc. Like Corto Maltese or Indiana Jones.

Of course you're not going to get lasting connections with anyone, it's 2015, you're not going to get those anywhere. The point is to stick it in the most exotic bitches possible, and post brooding photos in solitary, philosophical landscapes.
>>
File: trv.png (36 KB, 654x1716) Image search: [Google]
trv.png
36 KB, 654x1716
>>1047910

>You're saying that traveling is shit because you didn't enjoy going to touristic places

I enjoyed it to some extent, but I certainly wouldn't have paid thousands of dollars to do it.

Anyone telling you that you have to go overseas to enjoy yourself and be happy is bullshitting you.

>>1047912

>OP, you're just salty because you don't have money, you don't have an established cool set of skills, and you're not attractive.

When I went overseas I had plenty of money (that's why I went to dozens of countries dumb cunt), I was attractive when I was younger (Jap girls even paid me to take photos with them), and I don't have a 'cool set of skills' whatever that means, but I don't see the relevance. Everything was provided to me or came naturally to me, so I didn't need 'skills'.

I don't not go overseas anymore because I'm poor, ugly or stupid. I just think its a waste of time and money.
>>
>>1047915
So basically you're no longer attractive and don't have money (protip: you're supposed to get more money as you get older, not less). Point proven.
>>
>>1047915
>Anyone telling you that you have to go overseas to enjoy yourself and be happy is bullshitting you.

but nobody is saying this. In fact most people on this board would tell you that running away from your problems to another country won't solve them.

>but I certainly wouldn't have paid thousands of dollars to do it
Well I did pay $5000 for my last trip and I would do it again. That's my personal opinion but at least I know not to make it into a general statement
>>
>>1047917

I'm not as attractive as I was, but I have more money now

You seem upset

>but nobody is saying this

To travel overseas you must spend a lot of money. Many people do this because they see other people traveling and saying how great it is. The truth is that these people only say it is great because its actually pretty ordinary and they don't want to admit to themselves that just wasted a threw away a lot of money and have nothing to show for it. Notice how they always have to go on about it to others, show photos/selfies, show off their tourist trinkets, and so on. Hell, they might even actually make themselves believe it was amazing, like you apparently have, but if you examine the details I think its obvious that traveling is a scam as I claim it to be.

Just to give an example of what I mean, one rationale you might hear from a traveler for forking out thousands of dollars to fly to Germany is 'I enjoyed looking at the exquisite architecture of the Cathedral' - well, what about skyscrapers then? These are equally impressive feats of engineering, and yet no one gives a shit.

Another one might be 'I enjoyed making new friends and having beer with the locals' - well, why not make new friends here and go to a new pub here? Surely you don't know every one of the 5 million people in this city, or the 874 pubs here. And wouldn't be easier and better to become friends with people who live near you and speak your language?

I can admit the truth, because I never paid for it and thus don't regret it. I'm actually thankful for it, because I've learned a valuable life lesson.
>>
>>1047918
>>1047921
>>
>>1047921
If you're so poor that traveling costs you "a lot of money" from your perspective, then you failed at life anyway.
>>
>>1047921
>To travel overseas you must spend a lot of money
wrong, there are people who travel the world for free
>Many people do this because they see other people traveling and saying how great it is
personal opinion that holds some truth, but still a broad generalization
>he truth is that these people only say it is great because its actually pretty ordinary and they don't want to admit to themselves that just wasted a threw away a lot of money and have nothing to show for it
Personal opinion with nothing to base it on
>Notice how they always have to go on about it to others, show photos/selfies, show off their tourist trinkets, and so on. Hell, they might even actually make themselves believe it was amazing, like you apparently have, but if you examine the details I think its obvious that traveling is a scam as I claim it to be.
again personal opinion and a pretty stupid one on top of that
>'I enjoyed looking at the exquisite architecture of the Cathedral' - well, what about skyscrapers then? These are equally impressive feats of engineering, and yet no one gives a shit.
comparing apples to oranges nice
>I enjoyed making new friends and having beer with the locals
that's not something that's the main purpose of your travel, it's one of the things
>I can admit the truth, because I never paid for it and thus don't regret it. I'm actually thankful for it, because I've learned a valuable life lesson.
>learned a lesson
>by not doing things

solid arguments you got there anon. please go on, amuse me, got around 40 minutes to spare before the game starts
>>
File: rich_boy_fedora.jpg (221 KB, 683x1024) Image search: [Google]
rich_boy_fedora.jpg
221 KB, 683x1024
>>1047923
>>
>>1047924

>there are people who travel the world for free

Travel isn't free bro

If you get boarding tickets you can refund them and become X amount richer. Travel should be just above buying pure gold shirts on your priority list.

I'm also pretty sure most of the people here aren't working jobs requiring them to travel around the world

Also, again I'm presenting reasoning and you're just saying 'That's just, like, ur, opinion, or whatever, man.. ur dumb. i need to watch futball game haha'.
>>
>>1047928
I was gonna play along but you obviously lack the skill or motivation to do proper trolling so I'm out.
Hope you feel superior hun ;)
>>
>>1047929

Oh, one last thing before leave

You said in your previous post 'by not doing things' in reference to me. You seem to have not comprehended that I have gone to dozens of countries; otherwise I don't understand what you mean by 'by not doing things', as I've already thoroughly experienced travel.
>>
>>1047928
Well yeah, that's the thing, travel is sold to the underclass as a fun activity or something to do on the weekend/holiday, but it's really just desperately trying to emulate the actual lifestyle of their masters for as long as the money allows. It's cargo cult, they go through the motions without understanding the essence - for the masters, travel is a natural part of life, they get money from it, they perform important functions while traveling, or they simply enjoy the fruits of their superiority without ever being worried if it will ever end, because the only way it will ever end is if you suckers realize your fate and opt out from this earth.
>>
people have fantasized about seeing the world for centuries, possibly even millenia, i think it's a normal thing to do. OP sounds jaded and cynical, it's fine if traveling wasn't the greatest thing in the world to you, but OP has a harsh opinion.
>>
How is travel any different from other hobbies? If you're into photography you spend money on cameras and lenses. If you're into riding a motorcycle you're spending money on new bikes and gear. If you're into video games you spend money on games and computer parts. Even if you're into hiking it's likely you will spend money on hiking shoes and clothing. Ultimately all hobbies are money drains, so what difference does it make what someone is into?

I love traveling, it brings me the most joy of any activity. I love talking about travel, reading about it, watching shows about different areas and cultures. I have other hobbies too. I've put in a lot of money into those as well. If it's something that makes my life more enjoyable then I don't care about wasting money on it. The longer I live the more I realize life is pretty shitty and I might as well try to maximize the amount of happiness I can create for myself.
>>
>>1047944

>If you're into video games you spend money on games and computer parts

You actually get something out of playing video games

Also, I pirate most of my games so I've only spent about $200 on games in the past 5 years for thousands of hours of entertainment

Travelers are lucky if $200 will buy them a DAY, and it's not some great experience you can only get by going overseas.

You say you love travel. A few people in this thread say they enjoy travel. Tell me, what is it exactly that makes travel overseas so great, that isn't something you cannot experience in your own country?
>>
>>1047939

>people have fantasized about seeing the world for centuries, possibly even millenia

This is something of a myth

Until relatively recently, the vast majority of people were tied to plots of land where they worked and lived until they died. They had no hope of leaving and seeing the world.

Moreover, there was little to see out beyond. There were few grand monuments, no cities, and the natural landscape was mundane. In the wilderness was just bandits, dangerous animals, dark forest and rocky waste. In medieval times, there was pilgrimage to places like Jerusalem and Santiago Cathedral, but only nobles could afford and receive permission for this, and it was a dangerous and devout journey.

There was also no time in life for such leisure. We have a lot more free time today due to efficiency.

You can probably see all this today in tribal or very poor societies. The idea of a 'vacation' would be foreign to them.
>>
>>1046900
What Documentary is that gif from?
>>
retard who went to popular touristy places or retard who can't into appreciation of other cultures detected

why don't you post your travels and what you visited whilst you went there without using google lmao

cringe to the max
>>
>>1047969
also, why are you arguing against the subjective experiences of people when your opinion is based on your subjective experience

are you a retard lmao
>>
>>1047900
You've just described one of the main reasons of travelling. All of the things you said is a good thing and made you a better human being. By seeing other cultures and norms you are actually more of well rounded human being than a non traveller.

Not all travel have to be "enjoyable" to get something out of it.
>>
>>1047969

>retard who went to popular touristy places or retard who can't into appreciation of other cultures detected

I like how you picked a second position knowing your first one was likely to fail

>why don't you post your travels and what you visited whilst you went there without using google lmao

Sure bro, what you want, a scan of passport? It's not relevant anyway

>also, why are you arguing against the subjective experiences of people when your opinion is based on your subjective experience

Everyone has a subjective experience of the sun, but the sun is an objective fact. My subjective experience is that of an objective fact. Travel as leisure is a recent invention, and it's pumped up to make money out of you. People rave on about how great traveling is because they're trying to make up the fact that they've just blown a fuckton of money on something they didn't enjoy all too much.

It's like some poor bastard who buys a sportscar to fill the void in life, and goes on about how much he loves it.
>>
>>1047976

>All of the things you said is a good thing and made you a better human being

Except you missed the fact that I didn't pay for it and if I did have to pay for it I wouldn't do it.

>By seeing other cultures and norms you are actually more of well rounded human being than a non traveller.

Notice readers how the traveler here desperately tries to justify himself through his traveling. He thinks that travel somehow makes him into a great person.

The only way in which traveling affected me was that I learned how empty it is. Trust me, I've had a long time to think about it.

Also they say 'traveling opens you up' or some stupid personality changing shit like that, but it doesn't at all.

They say 'traveling makes you cultured' whatever the fuck that means, when in truth you would learn more from doing a google search.

Here's a quick way to debunk this cultural learning rubbish: Think of the city you're in. Now think of the different groups in your city, and think about how many of those groups you don't actually know about. I guarantee you that in the city you've probably lived your whole life, you don't know a majority of the different types of people or have never been to a majority of places. And that's just your city! When you go overseas, you're trying to get a grasp on a whole country, and in just two weeks perhaps. And why is it that you haven't been to the majority of places in your city? It's because its boring as fuck, and pretty much the same where-ever you go. Despite the little quirks, a cafe is just a cafe. Why bother going to them all, when you can go to the local one that's most familiar to you? It's the same with going around to different countries.
>>
>>1047995
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>1047957
That doesn't mean they didn't dream. Many, many myths deal with the hero going to far off, exotic lands. While a modern "vacation" may be foreign, the idea of travel is not. Even biologically, people have the urge to leave to not clutter up the gene pool
>>
ITT- OP spent his lifesavings travelling around and didnt meet anyone or enjoy it because he is that smelly awkward neckbeard in the hostel room that cant socialise or enjoy himself
>>
>>1047957
Certainly by the 1400s you had townsfolk going on pilgrimage to the Holy Land, for example Margery Kempe.
>>
>>1047995
yeah this sounds like some antisocial neet rambling
>>
>>1047990
ignored any attempt at replying to the first two points

>but the sun is an objective fact
lmao, read some philosophy

>My subjective experience is that of an objective fact.
lmao, read some philosophy

> People rave on about how great traveling is because they're trying to make up the fact that they've just blown a fuckton of money on something they didn't enjoy all too much.

Assumptions lmao?

>It's like some poor bastard who buys a sportscar to fill the void in life, and goes on about how much he loves it.

Assumptions lmao?

Jesus, it's like talking to an edgy teen, not only did you ignore my first two points because you couldn't refute them but you went on to make claims about objectivity which were absolutely cringey.

Enjoy being a retard for the rest of your life lmao
>>
>>1047951
I travel for around $30 a day, $200 is good for a week of traveling if I'm careful.

And I travel around my own country and region as much as I travel abroad. What's good about traveling overseas? Just experiencing something I can't get back home. For example, food. The Mexican food I had in Mexico was on a different level compared to what I get here. Cultural events, I got to experience a few great festivals on my travels that are location specific. I got to see great sights such as Mayan pyramids or great works of art in European museums. And then there are the travelers I met and still keep in touch with. Along with local people I met, I try to keep in touch with many of them.
>>
strong agree with the op
>>
so close, OP, yet so far.

Traveling can be leisure if you're a static kind of person, but for the most part traveling is rewarding work. But you're right -- everywhere you go that is new is exciting and travel worthy. But don't underestimate a new culture, for it is eye-opening (but like you said, brings out the ego in many people). However, I will agree that the more you travel, the more similarities you will see. Anything can become tiresome if you do it too much.
>>
>>1046546
Fuck off Europe
>>
sorry UPS didn't give you more sick days OP

get better
>>
>>1047900
That's just you
>>
>>1046186

Ehhhhhhh. WTF just happened?
>>
>>1046386

This:
>>1046412

Just go to a country, with nothing but your wits, charm and a fuckton of money.

And never, ever EVER turn down an opportunity. Who knows, something amazing may happen.
>>
I absolutely can understand OP. You other fags should try to be a bit more open-minded, and try to understand what he is saying.
>>
>>1048919

you can suck my ballsack tbqh.
>>
>>1046186
>a cumulative year of my life in several dozen countries
>cumulative year of my life
>several dozen countries

At last Frodo, we finally have become Real Travellers®
>>
Met my wife while abroad. I now live in Russia with her which is where she is from. Her dad just happens to own a large steel manufacturing company and I now drive an Audi R8. Funny for you that travelling led me to meet a beautiful Russian girl that has endless money.
>>
I understand what he is saying but never let school get in the way of education. Travelling as people really should isnt comfortable but small things like hitch hiking and meeting some random person in some country is interesting and fun. Different music, different language, different from what you know. This is what is interesting. If you need to stay in a nice place then you are pathetic. Having a bed is all you need to have a good night. You are American as it comes at that is a terrible thing to be.
>>
>>1049103
When Putin gets dethroned your life will become hell though. Are you prepared for that?
>>
File: 1447101263971.jpg (486 KB, 1500x1001) Image search: [Google]
1447101263971.jpg
486 KB, 1500x1001
Tourists are herded around my city like sheep from one "landmark" to the next. Stop, take a picture that has been taken a million times before, move on. I don't understand how this is enjoyable. I guess some people enjoy being price-gouged as some sort of sadomasochism.
>>
>>1047923
Wow get a load of this first world daddy's boy.
>>
File: travel.png (21 KB, 637x130) Image search: [Google]
travel.png
21 KB, 637x130
>>1047990
If anyone thought OP had any semblance of a point in the first place, literally just
>My subjective experience is that of an objective fact.
like his weekend in a Cyprus hotel is the same as someone else's weekend on a Thai beach party.
Travel isn't a miracle cure for anything and anyone selling it as such is retarded, but it can be very fulfilling. Ultimately I always recommend a read of a deconstruction of Walden to people that think travelling is life-changing, if you come home from travelling feeling bitter and regretful then it's likely your attitude is the issue, not the places you went.

Can't make someone enjoy themselves any more than you can tell other people they're not enjoying themselves.
>>
"Traveling is a fool's paradise. Our first journeys discover to us the indifference of places. At home I dream that at Naples, at Rome, I can be intoxicated with beauty, and lose my sadness. I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the stern fact, the sad self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from. I seek the Vatican, and the palaces. I affect to be intoxicated with sights and suggestions, but I am not intoxicated. My giant goes with me wherever I go."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
>>
>>1049838
"Chat shit get banged"
Jamie Vardy
>>
usually I travel when my life has too much leisure/routine and I need an adventure to break the cycle.

I don't plan on making great friends, but I do always leave with lasting memories and that counts for something. Even if its only valuable to myself.

Besides some of my funniest memories are about the worse sides of traveling. Like 16 hour bus rides with no bathroom in Eastern Europe. I still laugh about that one with my friend. It has more value to me than any vidya i've ever played.
>>
>>1049817
>if you come home from travelling feeling bitter and regretful then it's likely your attitude is the issue, not the places you went.
This is exactly why I'm scared to try it.
>>
>>1046547
Fuck off wannabe mod, you have an issue with op you can just press report.
>>1046186
I couldn't agree more. /trv/ should be about TRAVEL, but instead it's become an echo chamber for smelly, edgy malcontents who think Real Travel is 19 year olds gushing over exoticism, anything else is my uncool square parents who should just shut up and buy me a plane ticket.
>>
Fucking sage so hard right now though...

Declaring Poe's Law on OP and a good portion of posters here because what the actual thoughtless black and white ultimatum seeking fuck has this thread turned into....

>>1049393
In my head there is a difference between tourism and travel but see >>1049817
and consider that the turn and burn you are witnessing might be fulfilling to some people however shallow and fake it is to you...

>>1050915
Don't be a pussy... Don't undersell yourself... Build yourself up and take a leap of faith...
>>
>>1050930
>Don't be a pussy... Don't undersell yourself... Build yourself up and take a leap of faith...
But I know what I'm like and I would hate to spend that much money and travel that far just to fall back into my usual sauerkraut habits.
>>
>>1046186
I understand where this guy is coming from like it's not going to change your life permanently because you're going to have to come back to where you originally came from but can't you take what you've learned along your journey and apply it to the life you're going to build when you come back? like more knowledge about yourself and the people you were around? If you're going to go full narc and just mark your life around how much money you have or your external achievements you're going to struggle. Travelling is about letting go of the things or people in your life that aren't needed, letting go of the ego and shedding layers. Clinging to things like vidya and comforts just ignoring your feelings will end up causing you to make bad decisions which will lead you to spin the same old shit you've done your whole life where you'll end up in that pit again. I'm about to let everything go and just leave on my journey after falling from a great height in my life and I have no idea where I'm going to end up, I'm scared and anxious but at least I'm alive...
>>
>>1046186
>travel is for losers, play video games instead
get a look at this autist
>>
>>1046186
OP does make a few points that do apply to certain people of certain mindsets.

What appeals about travel for me is my love of learning. I agree going somewhere local is often missed by locals who don't do anyone...ever...who do play video games. But, if you are the opposite, and you've hiked and dined your whole town, going somewhere of a different climate is glorious, esp if it's mixed with some other draw. It might be a little venue concert of someone who doesn't hit your town, a specific ruin or painting you had in your school's textbooks at some time, or maybe you're a foodie and you want some original such and such. Maybe you find it great fun to keep another language in practice. Don't get me wrong, but a sun vacation is okay if you've earned some relaxation, but if it's just a getaway for a change of scene, doesn't mean you should leisure it up, but keep your momentum going just like you do at home.

I don't know about you, but I don't do the 5am flight bull anymore if other choices are available. I pay the difference not to throw off my sleep schedule so extremely.
>>
>>1047891
Tower of "Piza" b8 confirmed
>>
File: Randal-1.jpg (15 KB, 300x269) Image search: [Google]
Randal-1.jpg
15 KB, 300x269
>>1047951
>You actually get something out of playing video games
>mfw
>>
>>1046412
This. I've traveled a little, and that method failed me only the two first times when I didn't know what I was doing.

I like luxury hotels and I'm not loaded, so I do book hotel rooms, but that's it. You can look up what you "could do", but just leave it for the spur of the moment. All the best stories I've got start with
>so I went to a local bar/club for a drink and sat down at the bar
>>
>>1047921
I'm sorry, but you honestly sound like a broke, NEET twentysomething who's desperately trying to rationalize away the joys of traveling.
>oh yeah? all I wanted was a pint at the pub and play Xbox all day anyway

Besides, you have no factual basis to most of the shit you're saying.
>they don't want to admit to themselves that just wasted a threw away a lot of money and have nothing to show for it
You know this how? This is you projecting your opinions onto others.

>Notice how they always have to go on about it to others, show photos/selfies, show off their tourist trinkets, and so on
Yeah, no. I've been tow about a dozen trips all over the world during the past 5 years, and I've never shown a single photo to anyone. Half the time I didn't take pictures at all.

>Hell, they might even actually make themselves believe it was amazing, like you apparently have, but if you examine the details I think its obvious that traveling is a scam as I claim it to be.
Now you're just repeating yourself.

>Just to give an example of what I mean, one rationale you might hear from a traveler for forking out thousands of dollars to fly to Germany is 'I enjoyed looking at the exquisite architecture of the Cathedral' - well, what about skyscrapers then? These are equally impressive feats of engineering, and yet no one gives a shit.
Actually, one of the reasons I went to NYC and HK was for the skyline.

Yeah, you know, I'm done. I have better things to do.
>>
>>1047951
>Tell me, what is it exactly that makes travel overseas so great, that isn't something you cannot experience in your own country?
Gee, I dunno. Atmosphere, architecture, climate, culture, cuisine, entertainment and nature, to mention a few things.

>Also, I pirate most of my games so I've only spent about $200 on games in the past 5 years for thousands of hours of entertainment
I too spent literally almost a decade playing games. Eventually I realized it's just mental masturbation.
>oh, look at my stats, 8.0 k/d ratio, 70% acc and 120 pts/min
>oh, look, I built a scale model of the Empire State Building in Minecraft
Well done, you've wasted years of your life and untold dollars on something that only brings you closer to depression and type 2 diabetes. Remember, every hour you spent playing games, you could've spent learning new things or making money from what you already know.

Now, admitting THAT to yourself is tough. I know it was for me, and that means no more games for me.
>>
>>1046186
"Human circulation considered as something to be consumed tourism is a byproduct of the circulation of commodities; basically,tourism is the chance to go and see what has been made trite.The economic management of travel to different places suffices in itself to ensure those places 'interchangeability.The same modernization that has deprived travel of its temporal aspect has likewise deprived it of the reality of space"

- Guy Debord
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.