[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finland
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: helsinki_2314259b.jpg (81 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
helsinki_2314259b.jpg
81 KB, 620x387
I'm wanting to move to Finland and yet i have never been out side of my own country and I'm scared if i do end up wanting to live there i wont have what i need :/

so what do i need? and should i start teaching myself Finnish now?
will i be able to find work there?

https://youtu.be/RiuI8MQngq4
>>
Finn here. It would be easier to answer the work question if you would tell where you are from/what is your nationality.
So if you're an EU citizen, then you can work,study etc. At least by legal issues, because then we get to the other point: language.

Finnish is weird, unique language, found to be very hard to learn by everyone (except estonians, their language is pretty much the same)
If you work as a cook/cleaner and jobs where you're not excepted to serve customers, english will do fine. And there is quite a few english speaking bartenders in the bigger cities where people wont get offended that they're being served with another language.

Finland is also rather expensive country, just to let you know.
>>
>>1119239

i'm from Australia and i have german back ground :/
>>
finland is a shithole desu
>>
>>1119241
In that case you'll have to get a visa. Which might be quite hard if you don't have a job. Which might be quite hard to find if you don't know any Finnish.
>>
>>1119217
why Finland? You know it isn't like the memes portray
>>
File: 1458216715188.jpg (232 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
1458216715188.jpg
232 KB, 601x601
>>1119297

mmmmmm okay :/ im looking into it

>>1119298

i really do love the cold and i feel like it would be the best place to raise a family and they have a strong culture :)
>>
>>1119297

oh i have my security license
>>
>>1119321
>the best place to raise a family
>they have a strong culture
I don't want to derail this into an inane shit-flinging thread, that's why /int/ exists, but still: you've been memed pretty badly. Finns are people just like everyone else: there will be idiots, there will be misfits, there will be [spoiler]immigrants[/spoiler] and people disagreeing with you, just like everywhere else.
And nobody who hasn't gone through a Scandinavian winter is able to deal with it well, the first time they experience it. I can see an Ozzie in particular being affected.
>>
>>1119217
You sound underage or incredibly immature and stupid.

Maybe go visit Finland before deciding you want to live there you imbecile. It'll serve the dual purpose of informing you bwtter about "what you need if you live there," whatever the fuck that means.
>>
>>1119321
>i really do love the cold
It's a bit colder than Sydney.
>>
>>1119342

haha well i will holiday around first but i still think its a great country from what i have looked up and im keen to see more and if i dont like it then ill move :)
>>
>>1119347

G>>1119343
Good!!
>>
>>1119343

immature :( come on mate let me dream! why you gotta be a c**t
>>
File: happy goat.jpg (58 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
happy goat.jpg
58 KB, 512x384
So it's summer on /trv/ as well...

So, OP, best advice is something already said, visit before making any decisions -- you might love it, or you might hate it. Moving between countries is a medium to large pain in the ass.

Be aware that licenses for a profession may not convey between countries, and maybe research what laws (specifically pertaining to age of being allowed to do this or that) might be different than what you are used to,

Dreams are great, but follow them with some common sense to maximize the chances of them coming true.

Goat not related,
>>
>>1119239
I WILL come to do cheap construction work in Finland and there is NOTHING you can do to stop me! Eesti!!!
>>
>>1119217
You should really reconsider. The unemployment situation is pretty bad and you might have trouble finding even shit tier jobs. If you can't get a job getting a visa might be a bit difficult.
>>
Finn here. I believe over 20% of the youth is currently unemployed, do not expect to find a job.

Also I'm not racist but Finnish with accent is just terrible to hear and you will always be an outcast. Most of the foreigners just speak English - I suggest you'd do the same, at least for the first months.

Sun barely sets at this time of year and mosquitoes are about to swarm. I can't say I recommend Finland.

However I wish you best of luck!
>>
>>1119321
>>1119322
I'm an ex-pat living in Finland and this is just delusional. I think you've spent too much time on /int/ and /pol/. Finland has been going in-and-out of recession for the last 8 years; unemployment is almost 10%; there is a large pool of labour from the EU, especially the Baltic countries. Skilled non-EU workers do come to Finland but you will need sponsorship from a employer here. No one in Karelia is going to hire a nightclub bouncer or supermarket security guard from Australia.

There are pockets of "strong" culture and traditional families in the rural areas, but guess what? Those folk with their strong culture and traditional families are not especially fond of immigrants.
>>
>>1119487
>not especially fond of immigrants.

Finns do not generally mind white immigrants.
>>
>>1119488
Most Finns do welcome immigrants; but not the desperately insecure and angry Finns that OP has found on /int/ and /pol/. In any case, OP is not a cosmopolitan typeface designer moving to Kallio; he sounds like a teenage neo-nazi who has gotten the idea off /int/ and /pol/ that Finland is the place where he can spawn a Germanic brood away from the complexities of the modern world. People like that can be found in Finland, but not in places amenable to foreigners, but in the small towns of rural Finland, and they will not welcome unskilled immigrants like him.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.