[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the most remote place you've ever been to?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 20
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 3888x2592
What's the most remote place you've ever been to?

Personally I'd have to say Pyramiden, Svalbard at 78 degrees north. Pic related.
Would love to visit Bear Island and Kerguelen Island some day.
>>
Location of Pyramiden for your convenience
>>
>>1044559
>Would love to visit Bear Island and Kerguelen Island some day.

I'd like to visit Kerguelen too one day, too bad the price for a return trip costs as much as a trip around the world + more.

I'm doing geology at university, im hoping at some point ill do a research project on igneous rocks and get to go there with research grants.
>>
Australia
>>
Perth
>>
Depends how you define remote. It would be hard to beat parts of central Australia for remoteness, but it was still always easy to get to civilisation. I've never felt more remote than when patrolling my small rural valley in southern Afghanistan which was not too far from the provincial capital yet still had no roads that weren't blockaded with IEDs.
>>
File: WP_20130327_018.jpg (200 KB, 1278x720) Image search: [Google]
WP_20130327_018.jpg
200 KB, 1278x720
Northern Norway. North of Trondheim. Looked like something straight out of Skyrim. Even visited Hell and got the cliché "Hell has frozen over" sign. I'll try to dig up that pic. Here's one from my trip that I interpreted as "No motorcycles jumping over cars"
>>
>>1044586
Meant to say pic of the iced over Hell sign. It was the same one on the bridge at the below link:

http://www.messynessychic.com/2014/04/30/welcome-to-hell-the-norwegian-town-that-freezes-over-every-winter/
>>
>>1044586
>>1044589
http://www.vice.com/video/welcome-to-hell-in-norway
>>
File: rightxdf.png (259 KB, 386x499) Image search: [Google]
rightxdf.png
259 KB, 386x499
>>
Probably Namibia, and then I'd have to say Sossusvlei. One of the most beautiful places in the world, and way, way out in bumfuck nowhere, in the middle of the Namibian desert. Some Scottish guy used to run a bakery about an hour's drive from there - it was the strangest place.

Will go back. Definitely.
>>
>>1044594
How easy it is to travel independently? I would like to go but I'm a bit scared about security/safety
>>
>>1044602

How do you mean independently? We were two friends who were living in Cape Town at the time. We just decided to go on a trip, knew we were going "approximately in the direction of Victoria Falls through Namibia and then back down to Cape Town somehow", rented a car, bought two map books on our way out of Cape Town and came back in a month after having driven 7500 kilometers.

It was the best trip of my life, and I still have no idea how the car rental company didn't sue us or something for all we put that car through.

Getting to know people was no problem at all. All routes usually have travellers and hostels where you can ask for tips, directions, whatever.

And when it comes to security, my usual feeling is that as long as you don't look and act like an idiot/tourist, things have a way of working out. Of course, things to do happen - I saw somebody get mugged just on the other side of the street I was walking on in the center of Johannesburg - but all you usually have to do to stay out of trouble is just not be an ass.

Did that answer your question?
>>
>>1044603
Independently I basically mean without arranging a tour or something and using cheap transportation as much as possible (I know in a country like Namibia that might be quite difficult due to remoteness of some places).

Well, for me it would be difficult to mingle with the people there because of my phenotype
>>
>>1044606

How so? I'm a guy, and I had no problems. My friend is a girl, and she also had no problems, even though she went walking on her own through remote little towns in Botswana and had no problems doing things on her own in Cape Town. If that's what you meant?

But I've found independent travels to be the ones that give me the best experiences. We had a great trip through South Africa, Namibia and Botswana. This summer I also went alone to Kyrgzystan, where I travelled around on my own using local transport. I met up with a German girl via Couchsurfing to make some of the traveling and things cheaper. You always figure out where to go and how to get there and back. I had no idea what I was getting into on any of those trips, but it turned out to be the best trips I've had.

Also traveled from east to west through Norway with a few friends. That was also a rented car, though, so I guess it doesn't count as local transport.

But hey, even in places as remote as Kyrgyzstan, local transport was no problem. At least if you speak a little Russian.

I've been on enough package trips to Spain with my family - enough to base my comparison on. Independent travel is the best, and leaves you with a way better feeling. At least if you're looking for adventures.
>>
>>1044611
yep I know, I was just asking on how easy that was in Namibia. Apparently it's pretty doable by what you say.
>>
>>1044586
>>1044589
>>1044591
>tfw I'm (OP) a student at NTNU, Trondheim
this place isn't th-that remote man c-come on...
>>
>>1044624
Learn to read, I didn't say Trondheim, I said north of Trondheim. I mention Hell because it's interesting, but was actually bet even north of that in Stordjal/Vaernes or whatever. But ventured even north of that, far enough to see the lights. Nothing really to speak of there except little quaint farm houses and the location of secret government caves inside mountains I can't really talk about. The fact they exist isn't secret, but the precise location of some of them
>>
File: 450x338_q95.jpg (53 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
450x338_q95.jpg
53 KB, 450x338
>>1044641
Here's a publicly available pic of the entrance to one of the caves, not posting a personal pic because probably go data attached.

But back to your point, even if you don't consider the areas I've been to remote, the question was what is the most remote place you'very been to. Mines would be north of Trondheim. More specifically, north of Stordjal, but who knows where that is outside of a Norwegian?
>>
File: galapagos tortoise fight.jpg (97 KB, 728x582) Image search: [Google]
galapagos tortoise fight.jpg
97 KB, 728x582
>>1044559
Not a lot of places are all tat remote any more, I guess.

Best I can claim is the Galapagos -- or sailing though some of the southern Bahamas islands that were inhabited by nobody or a few dozen people at the time.

Pic related, I saw a turtle fight.
>>
File: IMG_8296.jpg (4 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8296.jpg
4 MB, 5184x3456
Been to Svalbard as well, though not at pyramiden. I was in Barentzburg though.

This random place in the middle of Laos was pretty remote.

Sahara desert was also pretty remote, but it was Erg Chebbi, so not really anything to brag about
>>
File: WP_20130923_005.jpg (185 KB, 1278x720) Image search: [Google]
WP_20130923_005.jpg
185 KB, 1278x720
The middle of the Atlantic Ocean
>>
>>1044688
nice
>>
>>1044559

How did you get there?
>>
>>1044695
Flew from Oslo-Tromso, Tromso-Longyearbyen. From Longyearbyen it's about a 3 hour boat ride to Pyramiden, somewhat deep inside the Ice Fjord. It's a cool place, you get to walk into the rec center and there's tons of stuff from when it was a soviet mining town. Found, amongst a shitload of other things, this old soviet kids comicbook with some weird ass chicken on the cover. No idea what it was about, obviously, as the thing was basically written in klingon.
>>
Most remote place for me is probably South Georgia Island. Which I visited in the lap of luxury on a cruise ship. Lots of seals and penguins.
>>
>>1044559
That looks like some old Soviet facility - I like it.
>>
>>1044594
Haha I had lunch in that place. Had an Australian feel to it.
>>
>>1044567
Same here.
Kerguelen Island is like my ultimate dream since childhood, with Amsterdam Island.
The amount of books I've read about it drove me insane when I was a kid.
>>
>>1044559
Been to Pyramiden too and it's close enough, but trekking around Isbjornhamna takes the candle.

The other one would be Japan's southernmost island, pic related
>>
Drove through Nebraska once.
>>
>>1044717
>pic related
fug
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3888x2592
>>1044709
It's an old soviet mining town. Pretty cool how everything is in russian even though the area is technically norwegian with norwegian post adresses, phone numbers etc. Pic related (not my pic)
>>
>>1044559
Scotland
>>
>>1044720
technically that's what happens when you lose a war you lose your language. same with much of finland.
>>
File: diegogarcia.jpg (44 KB, 634x477) Image search: [Google]
diegogarcia.jpg
44 KB, 634x477
Spent a year on Diego Garcia in the Chagos Archipelago back in the late '80's.
>>
>>1044559
Anadyr, Chukotka Peninsula, Russia.
>>
File: DSC06675.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
DSC06675.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
Another Pyramidonian here. Visited it while I was living in Longyearbyen for a few months.
But I guess some other places round Svalbard where we went by boat probably where more remote, especially since it was not a tourist cruise, but a geology field trip.
but in the bigger scale, Svalbard aint that remote. There'S a full town, with everything, from Kindergardens, to a Hospital and a Kebab stall and daily flights to Tromso/Oslo.

And Its funny, how Kerguelen Islands are also on my list of places I'd want to visit. But I'd probably do Greenland and Antarctica first.
>>
File: Kazakhtrip 1524.jpg (5 MB, 4752x3168) Image search: [Google]
Kazakhtrip 1524.jpg
5 MB, 4752x3168
>>1044804
>>1044720

These are great. I'd love to do a tour of these kind of places.

The closest I came was to Kurchatov.
>>
>>1044745

So what goes on there? Pics?
>>
>>1045693
>So what goes on there? Pics?
Where is there?
Finnland or Svalbard?
also, there wasnt a war on the archipelago.The Svalbard treaty was signed in 1920.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Treaty
>>
>>1045868
I quoted the wrong post. Was talking about Diego Garcia >>1044756
>>
>>1044559
Haven't gone any place extremely remote.
The most remote was probably somewhere in Canada.
There's a Glacier near Jasper national park with nobody around for a ways.
>>
Lofoten islands norway
was pretty cool, stunning nature
>>
File: nwt.jpg (74 KB, 760x290) Image search: [Google]
nwt.jpg
74 KB, 760x290
Yellowknife Northwest territories canada. I have an uncle who lives up there so I visited him for his wedding when i was younger. The drive up there is incredibly boring until you get past the mackenzie river. Then there's tons of buffalo all over the friggen place. Most of them don't give two fucks about traffic or anything so it makes for an interesting journey. There's no permanent settlements north of yellowknife nor is there much east. There's one community to the west but it has like 500 people. The nearest town south of yellowknife is hay river, some 600km away....

for an isolated city it has a lot of amenities and a few skyscrapers(7 stories counts as a skyscraper right?) They also build right over top of the rock to avoid the permafrost, this technique makes for some really interesting architecture.
>>
Middle of bumfuck nowhere in Uzbekistan near the border of Turkmenistan. A close second, although not so remote, would be Temir Tau, Kazakhstan. Google it to see what a steaming shithole of a factory city it is. I would uplaod pics myself, but Uzbek internet is slow as tits. Maybe when I get back to Almaty
>>
File: div.jpg (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
div.jpg
3 MB, 1920x1080
diavik diamond mine, NWT in Canada.
>>
>>1044756
>militaryfag detected
>>
>>1046708

What are you doing there?

Where do you hail from?
>>
>>1044559

I visited bear island (Bjornoya) this summer

Pretty cool
>>
File: P7024006.jpg (4 MB, 3648x2432) Image search: [Google]
P7024006.jpg
4 MB, 3648x2432
>>
I never felt as alone as I did when I was at the racetrack in Death Valley.
>>
>>1046771

You actually did that on a bicycle?

I think it's storytime.
>>
>>1046756

>What are you doing there?
I taught English in Almaty for the past year. I was hitchhiking around Kazakhstan at the time. There's a whole lotta nothing between cities lol. Just doing some traveling around the Stans before fucking off from winter.

>Where do you hail from?
America
>>
File: IMG_20150331_194526180.jpg (1 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150331_194526180.jpg
1 MB, 4160x2340
A lot of greenland is a frozen wasteland
>>
>>1046914
Do you speak Russian? Would one need to speak Russian to visit the Stans? Easy to get around?
>>
Trecked/skied across from the coast of Antarctica to the South Pole. About as remote as you could want.
>>
>>1044586
If you're interested, the sign status that cars and MCs are prohibited, except for Taxi's or delivery of goods.
>>
>>1046970
Thank you
>>
File: P6293995.jpg (3 MB, 3648x2432) Image search: [Google]
P6293995.jpg
3 MB, 3648x2432
>>1046851
I did a picture dump on /out/ over a year ago.
>>
>>1044559
>Svalbard
What was it like?
Wold you ever return there?
>>
>>1047034
I'd be pretty nervous of all the lethal bugs and animals and shit

this is so dope though
>>
>>1046927
Sorry breh, had a long string of shit net and couldn't get past the captcha.

You can do it without any Russian. I know foreigners who get by with just 10 words of Russian. There are plenty of travelers coming through with no roosky so it's definitely possible. People are generally friendly and hospitable towards foreigners around the area as they aren't thaaat common. I know enough words to communicate and mash them together to make a broken sentence. It's enough for me.

It's hard to find reliable info about transport within the country. I usually ruck up to the bus station and find something leaving within an hour. Most long distances are covered by mini bus and are fairly cheap.

It's quite easy to hitch once outside of the cities. Knowing some Russian would make the endless kilometers of steppe a bit more enjoyable. Since public transportation is still developing, most cars on the road double as taxis and will expect some money. You can start hitching outside of the citiy on the highway.
>>
>>1048154
Cheers for the response, pal.
Any places stand out to visit?

>>1048123
I thought /trv/ of all places would have gotten over this tired old meme.

Not him but major danger is lack of water and probably shade.
>>
File: kolsai lakes Kazakhstan.jpg (131 KB, 1344x760) Image search: [Google]
kolsai lakes Kazakhstan.jpg
131 KB, 1344x760
This website might be of some interest to those in this thread.
http://www.dark-tourism.com/

Catalog of remote and down right depressing towns.

>>1048155

Almaty is the biggest city in Central Asia and has the best nightlife in the region. I found it easiest to score here, with Bishkek being second (watch out for hot headed Kyrgyz men). There are also beautiful mountains and treks (big almaty lake) to do just 30 mins from the city centre by public bus. A good central hub to start any trip through the Stans. It's the most expensive, but can be done quite cheaply. Charyn canyon, the grand canyon jr, is also close by for a day trip.

For Islamic architecture and history go to Uzbekistan. Rich history, but I felt that it lacked a certain sense of adventure since you have to register at a hotel every night and the gov wants travelers to follow a strict itinerary. Friendly people and a dirt cheap country if you don't count the visa.

Speaking to travelers I've heard that the regions around Osh in Kyrgyzstan and the Pamirs in Tajikistan offer the best of nature. They would definitely offer a more authentic look into life in Central Asia than somewhere like Almaty. I really wanted to visit this region, but the weather turned as soon as my contract finished and I couldn't find if the mountain passes were still accessible.
>>
>>1048154
Have you been to Novosibirsk? If so, how was it?
>>
>>1048167
Haven't done Russia yet. I wanted to do it for the summer holiday, but the visa is a bit funny so I couldn't be bothered.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.