[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm an American and will be travelling to Europe for the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: TRAVEL.jpg (18 KB, 600x404) Image search: [Google]
TRAVEL.jpg
18 KB, 600x404
I'm an American and will be travelling to Europe for the first time. I'll be visiting Germany and France and will be driving a rented car the whole way. Was just wondering, do I need health insurance? I already purchased insurance for the vehicle, but didn't know whether it was advisable to purchase a separate health plan just in case I get sick or injured.
>>
Do you know how to drive a stick, or have you confirmed this car is an automatic. Granted I had a confirmed automatic and still ended up with a stick before.
>>
>>1040960

Confirmed automatic. I don't drive stick, so I called up the rental company to make sure. Any ideas on the health insurance stuff?
>>
>>1040960
If I had a nickle for every time that has happened to me, I'd have a couple of nickles...

Irritating...

(I can drive a stick, but when in UK didn't want to mess with one more thing being in the "wrong" place... there was enough to deal with without THAT.)
>>
>>1040958
I don't know how it's in America, but travel insurance should cover it. Whether it does or not, you should still get travel insurance. It'd be foolhardy to not have it. They are easy to purchase online.
>>
>>1040985

Done, bought travel insurance that also covers medical. Thanks for the advice. I've never actually heard of anyone buying travel insurance before and didnt really know anything about it
>>
>>1041013
Awesome. Have a great time in Europe!
>>
>>1040970
The only reason I know how to drive a stick because I arrived in Europe with a "confirmed automatic" from Avis and I arrive at the airport and they didn't have any. It was about 30 minutes outside of the city and I was like "fuck it". Took me 20 minutes just to figure out how to start it. Lol
>>
>>1040962
Heard that one before...
>>
Since so many people here seem to have issues with reserved automatics not being available, is there any way that I can make sure that one is? Not really wanting to chance it as I've never been to Europe, never driven in a big city, and all the road signs will be in another language. Adding a manual into that would likely be a bit too much for me to handle.
>>
File: 24t2.jpg (27 KB, 474x390) Image search: [Google]
24t2.jpg
27 KB, 474x390
>>1041020
Hey, as long as the damage you do to the transmission while grinding it around the countryside doesn't show up until AFTER you turn it back in, it is not your problem, right? )If they didn't want you tearing it up, they would have given you an automatic like they promised.)
>>
>>1040985
I've never bothered to get travel insurance, other than the sort that covers your fare and such if the trip gets cancelled for reasons covered.

But I am probably being stupid, and probably should get it, particularly when in more undeveloped countries.
>>
>>1041013
>Done, bought travel insurance that also covers medical. Thanks for the advice. I've never actually heard of anyone buying travel insurance before and didnt really know anything about it
Do you not have health insurance at home? My BCBS had coverage overseas if I upgraded my policy for 2 weeks. Of course, you have to pay upfront costs, and then haggle bills with them, but it was indeed coverage. I checked, because I was doing some mountaineering somewhere remote and had some pangs that could be gall bladder or something that was worrying me.
Double check your travel insurance for the details, don't assume a thing. Should you buy it? Yes, don't wing it. Europeans have their stuff working in the rest of Europe, but we might not. Only fools would find it not worth it. It's very inexpensive maybe $270 for a month, not much more than you'd pay at home, tbh.
Review how to drive a stick...just in case...it's rare they have automatic, and you could get to the rental place and the midsize whatever you ordered is rented/broken, and they force a stick on you. And, when you say you can't, they can also say, well we can't rent to you, but you owe us for the deposit/fee anyway. So, though you don't want it, just be prepared for a hassle or problem if you aren't willing to upgrade to something more luxurious for the added rate.
>>
>>1041046
I would maybe use one of the brands that has a american name too, hertz, avis, national, budget, etc. Don't use a locals only. Also use whoever you think is the largest at that location, because they might have the most cars on the lot, and/or be able to get you the right one faster. Do NOT be late picking it up, and maybe even call and speak to someone when you're on the way over there. Make sure they don't give it away!
>>
>>1041063
Basically. I think I did fuck up the transmission. I had an additional charge that popped up later, but Uncle Sam covered it.

>your tax dollars at work
>>
>>1041068
I had Avis and a got a manual. Reserved an automatic
>>1041046
Just refuse to rent the car and go to another company, there are always several at an airport. One is bound to have an automatic. If not, take a taxi and rent one when available. I would have done this if it had not been pretty booked through my job.
>>
>>1041067

I'm disabled and would likely not be able to drive a stick at all. I could maybe get it going, but it would be pretty tough, especially with everything else going on. Fuck, now I'm worried.
>>
>>1041109
Can't hurt to stress that to them -- the last thing they will want is problems for mistreating a handicapped guy, maybe...
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.