[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Proper Toy Storage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: Keripo1376975588.jpg (115 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Keripo1376975588.jpg
115 KB, 600x450
I have a few questions for people who are probably more knowledgeable than myself. I already know all the stuff about avoiding heat, humidity and sun exposure but how about storing toys? Is there any rules I need to take into consideration?

I have too many toys in my collection and my place is super small so I have to rotate stuff out but some stuff i've left in boxes for years. Is that a problem? Should I just open them up every now and then or do they need to be removed entirely for prolonged periods of time?

Also, when storing toys in their original boxes does it really matter if they're upright, laid down on their back or sideways? I find sideways gives me more room in my setup or some lines but will storing them sideways cause warping or break them? Most my stuff is imports with full clam-shells if that makes any difference. Just wondering if these clam-shells have been designed with a certain orientation in mind or not. Thanks in advance.
>>
You may want to take them out once in a while to avoid possible paint transfer on the clamshells if necessary (which is why some figures have plastic wrapping, like SAS).
And in some areas, move the joint avoid paint getting stuck inside the joints. This also applies to out-of-box figures, but it's something that's only an issue if it hasn't been touched in a long time.

A lot of people say that plasticizers may leak/may leak after after they've been stored in their boxes for a long time, but I have no experience with that personally so I can't say anything.
>I have too many toys in my collection and my place is super small so I have to rotate stuff out but some stuff i've left in boxes for years.
If anything, your problem is not selling off the shit you haven't touched and care about anymore.
>>
>>5779772
>may leak faster*

Also, if you have anything stored in plastic ziplocs or whatever, get them acid-free.
>>
>>5779745
Cardboard boxes tend to be a magnet for dust. Its a good idea to wash them with a damp sponge every few weeks to clean them off.
>>
>>5779785
https://youtu.be/-4AtBBVZ73U
>>
Not op, but I moved about a year ago, a lot of my figures are oob. I decided to rotate some out, and some of them have some bowed/bent limbs.

Currently they're just layered with bubble wrap and air packs in a plastic bin, any suggestion on how to further prevent this?
>>
>>5783366
Sell them to someone who will actually take care of them.
>>
Was going to make a thread but this seemed appropriate.

I'm moving to a new place and honestly don't really have space for all the boxes I kept of my figures. I don't have the intention of selling my figures so keeping the boxes for resale is not really a big deal, I mainly kept them because I thought it was nice to have them.

How do you guys store boxes/do you keep boxes? I'm tempted to just throw them out but I'm still not sure (they're mainly Gundam boxes but also nendo, figma and general statue boxes)
>>
>>5786703
>I don't have the intention of selling my figures so keeping the boxes for resale is not really a big deal
I urge you to keep your boxes because even if you don't want to sell them maybe something will happen in your life that FORCES you to sell them. In that scenario you're losing 50% of the value without the boxes which means you have to sell 50% more of your collection to handle the unforeseen bills.

If you value every figure you own and dread the thought of having to sell them then it's a good idea to make sure they have maximum resale value so you can keep more of them in an emergency.
>>
File: rainy day fund.jpg (43 KB, 640x283) Image search: [Google]
rainy day fund.jpg
43 KB, 640x283
>>5786854
>>5786703
>hoarders urging each other to hoard
it's like I'm really on hugbx.com

Almost everything you own right now will not hold its value years from now. It's rare for anything to keep steady, muchless be worth more. You think your toys will be the only ones ever made? The only value most toys have now is because of this shortsightedness way of thinking, which makes people go out and buy it.
Anything that doesn't get remade, it's rare for anyone to give a shit about it ten years down the line and most people will stop caring about it by then.

If you need space, ditch the unnecessary crap.

If you need money for an emergency, like this fuckwit is saying >>5786854, you're fucking dumb to rely on selling bobbles and trinkets. You should be saving real money and/or investing it. 3-6 months worth of expenses in cash should always be cushioning your savings or checking account.
Your toys aren't your retirement funds, nor should it ever be considered your rainy day money, because who fucking knows its value when you need it. Nevermind that reselling your crap takes a while to do.
>>
>>5787119
I made a good $600 over three weeks just pawning off a lot of my figures on the BST and eBay. Depending on what you have, it can be easy.
No body is even saying you should rely on selling figures as a substitute for saving money, let alone retirement (are you retarded?). You can very much use your savings to deal with an emergency, and THEN sell off your figures to help replenish those savings back.

But that'd require you to actually think for a moment, huh?
>>
File: toad marvel legends.jpg (115 KB, 765x1018) Image search: [Google]
toad marvel legends.jpg
115 KB, 765x1018
>>5787249
point is, it's equally as retarded to pretend it's an emergency fund or retirement fund.

>and THEN sell off your figures to help replenish those savings back.
oh geez
So the guy should save every piece of cardboard just because he MIGHT be able to sell it for a significant amount of cash?
Again, you have no idea of what the market will be like years from now. Shit like this was going for over a hundred bucks on ebay, boxed. Now it goes for nearly the same price as it does loose. This is how most toys and their values go, if they were ever valuable in the first place.

Again, ten years down the line, will something like this matter?
Probably not, just like with most things.
Will it be worth the effort of hauling around so many cardboard boxes that take up so much space? Only if your anxiety starts up at the thought of getting rid of that trash.
>>
If it's a toy just put your boxes into a large moving box and pack it away into your basement or attic. If you have neither then you're a peasant and you probably should reconsider buying so many toys that you can't even organize the boxes.
>>
>>5787318
>it's equally as retarded to pretend it's an emergency fund or retirement fund.
No body is pretending that except you.
>So the guy should save every piece of cardboard just because he MIGHT be able to sell it for a significant amount of cash?
I don't agree with that, and as somebody who did lose a of money from discarding boxes, I'd recommend that you keep the boxes for figures that have retained most of its value at least. Don't bother keeping boxes of stuff that depleted a lot of its value, like clearanced figures, or outdated figures, because you'll not make much back to warrant selling it off regardless.
>Again, you have no idea of what the market will be like years from now
Not talking about second market, who cares.
More importantly, you don't know whether or not you'll keep the shit in the future. I've discarded a lot of boxes for shit I thought I'd never sell, and I regretted that 2 years later because I decided that I just want to keep my collection geared towards 3-4 small lines.
>10 years
Most people sell shit well earlier than that.
>Will it be worth the effort of hauling around so many cardboard boxes that take up so much space?
Absolutely, if you have no need for that space. I fucking wish I had.
>>
File: ToyTraders20090628-Dio3Lrg.jpg (189 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ToyTraders20090628-Dio3Lrg.jpg
189 KB, 1024x768
>>5787322
>No body is pretending that except you.
Yeah, i guess I am pretending, because it's worse to actually believe in that like this guy said
>it's a good idea to make sure they have maximum resale value so you can keep more of them in an emergency.
Pretty nutso.

>as somebody who did lose a of money from discarding boxes
Geez, talk about poorfag who can't afford his hobby.
>Not talking about second market, who cares.
... so what market are you selling your toys to so you can afford more toys?

>Most people sell shit well earlier than that.
Really?
Or is this just some poorfag thing?

Question for everyone on /toy/:
How long do your toys remain in your possession?
I'm going on 40 years with toys that have held up really well from my childhood. I destroyed, lent or gave the rest away that isn't from the 00s. So most 90s shit i got is gone or is slowly fossilizing in my parents backyard. 00s stuff is staying with me, unless something better is able to replace it. The older figure either remains in my collection if it still holds up, or gets chucked to a nephew, dog, or charity.
>>
>>5787363
>Geez, talk about poorfag who can't afford his hobby.
Not wanting to lose money is a "poorfag" thing, apparently.
>Really?
Half a decade alone is a good amount of time.
>I'm going on 40 years with toys
What the fuck? Why the fuck are you on 4chan, you oldfag?
Are you that same idiot who whines about them millennials, too?
>>
>>5787377
>Half a decade alone is a good amount of time.
>Not wanting to lose money
Sheesh
Yeah, it's a pretty poorfag thing if you can't afford to continue buying stuff without selling your older possessions.
When i buy something, it's because i want it and i mean to keep it forever.
I don't buy into flavors of the months.

Considering everything you've said: you probably being that guy who said that toys is your emergency fund and considering your toys to be "rentals", it speaks volumes on how you are not so good with money.

>Are you that same idiot who whines about them millennials, too?
Yes, everyone who has said anything about millennials in a negative light is samefag, which is me.
>>
>>5787363
this perspective is fucking with my head
>>
>>5787409
>>Half a decade alone is a good amount of time.
It is, old man.
>Yeah, it's a pretty poorfag thing if you can't afford to continue buying stuff without selling your older possessions.
Man, is your old brain already dying? Or do you need to make shit up to justify your argument?
I've sold shit mainly because I don't want them anymore, want to free up space, aftermarket goes up a lot and I'd rather make extra cash than keep the figure, or a superior product came out.
>When i buy something, it's because i want it and i mean to keep it forever.
Tastes and the figure market changes, believe it or not.
>you probably being that guy who said that toys is your emergency fund and considering your toys to be "rentals", it speaks volumes on how you are not so good with money.
Wrong person. I've argued against that.
>Yes, everyone who has said anything about millennials in a negative light is samefag, which is me.
What an odd way of saying 'I am'.
>>
>>5787424
>need to make shit up to justify your argument?
?
>Tastes and the figure market changes, believe it or not.
Sucks to not know what you like. That's a lot of wasted money.
>>
>>5787442
>Sucks to not know what you like. That's a lot of wasted money.
You can sell figures from stuff you still like for other reasons, Anon.

And it'd be retarded to not sell an inferior figure for something that's a lot better.
>>
>>5787445
>You can sell figures from stuff you still like for other reasons, Anon.
Sure, but it's still a waste of money.

>And it'd be retarded to not sell an inferior figure for something that's a lot better.
No, seriously, it's a lot of wasted money.
WTF are you buying that something is completely inferior in five years?

And we've come a long way from giving advice to some guy who wants to get rid of wastes of space if he doesn't plan on selling anything soon. Even you admit that shit gets old in relatively short time, so who would want that in the long term? Very few people, hence price declines and not really worth keeping packaging for for 99.1% of crap we buy.
>>
>>5787560
>Sure, but it's still a waste of money.
And it's a bigger waste of money to keep something you don't care for and don't touch anymore.
And even then, you're not always losing money from selling shit. There's breaking even or making a profit off of it, depending on what you collect.
>WTF are you buying that something is completely inferior in five years?
SHFSS is a good example. I've done the same with third party Transformers.
>so who would want that in the long term? Very few people
Only for some lines, then yes you're pretty much fucked. No body is going to want an inferior figure when they can get something better now.
>hence price declines and not really worth keeping packaging for for 99.1% of crap we buy.
Selling something for $20 instead of $30 because you discarded the box is still lost money you could have saved, Anon.
If you don't need to use the space for anything, might as well use it to store the boxes. If you're running out, discard shit you hope you never plan on selling.

Genuine question, do you have a bunch of figures stored away in some fucking attic or haven't touched in years? Since apparently you don't sell anything whatsoever. How many overall figures do you have?
>>
File: Ulti boris.jpg (34 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Ulti boris.jpg
34 KB, 400x300
>>5788313
>it's a bigger waste of money to keep something you don't care for
>buying things you don't care for
>buying toys you know aren't good and could be done better, but get them anyway
I'll never understand people who buy flavors of the month and hype.

>Only for some lines
hahahahah
>No body is going to want an inferior figure when they can get something better now.
No shit? Hence what i've said. Throw your packaging away, because anything that's popular is replaceable and interchangable, which even you're admitting to.

>do you have a bunch of figures stored away in some fucking attic or haven't touched in years?
Yes, and i admit it was fucking dumb. I bought into the doll shit in the 00s and i regret my wasting of money.
>Since apparently you don't sell anything whatsoever.
I mostly give it away, but same shit.
>How many overall figures do you have?
Thousands, but I rotate my displays, so everything is taken out at least once a year and played with. It can't be helped, because i actually enjoy this hobby and like what i buy.

>Selling something for $20 instead of $30 because you discarded the box is still lost money you could have saved, Anon.
Buying something that you really didn't want is a waste of money regardless.
Treating your toys like an asset is pathetic.
>>
>>5788601
>hurr durr flavors
Answered, I'm sorry you're already getting Alzheimer's.
>because anything that's popular is replaceable and interchangable, which even you're admitting to.
Again, I only said for some things. Other shit, a lot less likely. Doesn't mean throwing away boxes just because of the small chance that they might get a 2.0/whatever the fuck is any less retarded.

Also,
>bitches about somebody "wasting money"
>but gives shit away instead of selling
>is hoarding thousands of figures, doesn't understand that people don't want to hoard shit and have their collections that large
>yet complains about people keeping boxes
fucking kek, sounds like you need to get rid of the hurr selling is bad mentality and sell off most of that shit, especially when most figures you own you barely touch. No wonder you despise people selling off their shit, since you're incapable of letting go anything
>Buying something that you really didn't want is a waste of money regardless.
People don't like to keep things they used to like but not as much anymore over a few years. Otherwise they're going to become fucking hoarders like you and keep majority of their figures all stored up.

Just because I loved figures years ago doesn't mean I'm not going to like them as much in the future, especially when I actually pay attention to them and set different priorities and interests. Unlike you, I'm capable of going 'this figure is great but I don't enjoy it as much as I used to now', or 'my collection is getting too large and I feel like I need to set priorities now', so I'll sell shit off.
>>
File: giant battle.jpg (1 MB, 1080x810) Image search: [Google]
giant battle.jpg
1 MB, 1080x810
>>5788932
>implying you're not getting flavors of the months if you're selling your toys that fast
or you have really shitty standards and buy anything just because it came out... hype hype hype!
> I only said for some things
uh huh. comedy.
I mean, how is it that you can pick so many toys that go for equal or greater value if they're not flavors of the month?

>No wonder you despise people selling off their shit, since you're incapable of letting go anything
Like i said, i have a rotating display and i have no problem letting go of stuff that i no longer like or find outdated. Unfortunately, I'm not a hyper or flavor of the month buyer and most things I have bought are unlikely to become outdated.
Why would I want to get rid of something that i actually want, own, and still use?

>so I'll sell shit off.
Considering you worry so much about the money, it seems like you can't afford to buy toys iwthout selling them off. Space is a good qualifier though.
I have space. A lot of space. I just don't believe in having clusterfucks 24/7. My toys aren't just something i only put on display either. It's fun to recreate things, as posted above, and play it out just for my own enjoyment.

Maybe if you got rid of your boxes, you'd be able to enjoy your toys better, instead of worrying about their resale value.
I'd probably be like you, bored of great toys, if I was worried about that too.
>>
>>5786676
Well excuse me for trying to get some real advice. I hadn't intended for them to be boxed up for this long, shit happens. Not everyone knows exactly how to store them long term, hence the reason I asked. Instead of being an ass, you could actually be helpful to the question asked and the thread topic.
>>
>>5789042
Man, you really have Alzheimer's.
>>
>>5787442
>Tastes and the figure market changes, believe it or not.
>Sucks to not know what you like. That's a lot of wasted money.
For someone who's been around for 40-some years you'd think you would understand that tastes can and do change over time.
>>
>>5789816
Sure, when i was a teen and like i said, i wasted a lot of money on stupid shit i ultimately didn't care for.

Once you get old enough, you pretty much developed your tastes and stop wasting time/money on stupid shit.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.