[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay /toy/ a dilemma, say you have a moderately expensive figure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: Resized_20160612_015315.jpg (300 KB, 1532x1200) Image search: [Google]
Resized_20160612_015315.jpg
300 KB, 1532x1200
Okay /toy/ a dilemma, say you have a moderately expensive figure (these days) and said feature of the figure is a swappable arm but said arm breaks when tried to be removed, is there a way to take these two parts out to of these joints in an attempt to repair? Also general rage and broken /toy/ thread, pic related
>>
>>5728844
heat it with a hairdryer -> pull it out with needle nose pliers -> swap it with something else
>>
>>5728852
That would save a body a ton of money...does this method work good?
>>
>>5728855
heat makes things expand so yes
>>
>>5728884
whatever I can do to not have to buy another one, this damn figure is scarce
>>
>>5728886
What figure?
>>
drill, glue, and pull.
>>
You need a pin vice, some wire, and some glue. Use the pin vice to drill a hole in each piece the same size as your wire. drill the holes as straight as you can and as deep as you're comfortable with. Glue the wire into one half, cut it to the proper length and glue it to the other half. It may not be strong enough to utilize the arm changing gimmick, but it should hold up to normal use.
>>
>>5728944
it's a Diamond Select Data figure in his outfit from First Contact.
>>
File: 1465750992952-749230536.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
1465750992952-749230536.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>5728844
A complete success, thank you for all your help in the thread guys!
>>
>>5728985
This isn't 2012 anymore, we have better techniques.
>>
>>5728985
use some epoxy resin instead of glue. coat the broken part like fuck and wait a couple days before trying to pop it in.

>>5729525
Did it come with an extra joint or something?
>>
>>5728985
>>5729916
>repairing joints instead of replacing
>>
>>5729924
yes, it's better to replace but you can't always find a replacement unless you buy another figure and at that point why even bother replacing it.
>>
>>5729943
Because a company like DST has a bunch of junker figures that OP could buy for dirt cheap on ebay and get exact matching joints. Buying junkers to salvage from is cheap if you know what you're doing, and makes physically repairing joints pointless.
>>
>>5729916
>>5729943
>>5729978
The alternate arm had a joint in it, I plan on buying an O'Brien figure for a spare couple of joints (not to mention some nifty accessories) but it worked like a charm.
>>
>>5728844
Companies that use clear plastic as joints should not be making collector figures. It's brittle as fuck. Looking at you Funko.
>>
>>5728985
Pin VISE, you ignorant shitcuck.
VISE.
>>
>>5733295
Bullshit.
It's not the same brittle clear plastic that turned to powder back in the 90's. You spastics get an idea like clear plastic is shit" stuck in your heads and you never move past it, even though it doesn't apply anymore.
>>
>>5733295
The natural state of a lot of plastic is clear, though some is formulated for extra clarity.
>>
>>5733435
Except for DCD/C figures made up until 2 years ago and the first wave of Funko GoT figures made in 2014. So in other words, 2 full decades past the 90s.

You "spastic" douche bag.
>>
>>5733503
That sand in your cooch must really be irritating you today, Sweetie Pie.
Also, you're wrong. It's not the same type of plastic. It is shit plastic, but it's not because it's clear. It's because it's shit.
>>
>>5733533
>It is shit plastic
no points to make the post
>>
>>5733569
Read it again Sugar Blumpkin. Have an adult help you with the big words,
>>
>>5733533
>they're both clear but only one is shit because I say so
Reminder that you're a fagnoid that got BTFO but still wants to quip instead of quit. People will continue to laugh at you online just as hard as they do in real life, so keep posting.
>>
>>5734362
Remember, you're still wrong. And you're projecting way too much.
>>
>>5734384
Explain the differences in the two clear plastics, then. Please use specific industry names for the plastic types and examples from companies to distinguish them. If you can't in the next post you make, then you'll have admitted to being a fagnoid and get BTFO for a second consecutive time.
>>
>>5734412
You're missing the point entirely either because you're an idiot, or you're acting like one on purpose.
The point is, Shit plastic is shit plastic, whether or not it's clear makes no difference. The idea that "all clear plastic is brittle" is a misnomer that has been adopted by fuckwads like you, and you keep repeating it as a mantra every time the subject of plastics come up.
The shit in your last post has no bearing on the topic; you're trying to shift the argument to something other than what's being discussed, which is that /toy/ is full of people who parrot back a bunch of misinformation and keep on spreading bullshit.
But you know this already, so you keep trying to shift the focus of the argument because you want to be seen as "the winner".

TLDR
Some plastics are shit, some are clear, but not all clear plastic is shit, and /toy/fags keep spreading the lie that they are. And you're an asshat.
>>
>>5734435
So in other words
>If you can't in the next post you make, then you'll have admitted to being a fagnoid and get BTFO for a second consecutive time
Thank you for continuously being BTFO, fagnoid.
>>
Oh man, i love these threads about people just repeating shit they heard online.

Going by that, there's that hilarious video of a guy moving a DCD joint at 70mph and blames it on the plastic breaking.

But seriously, tons of plastics are clear. There's like 20-30 types that are clear.

Here's what DC Direct used to use
>Polycarbonate is yet another type of thermoplastic polymer used in manufacturing. This clear plastic is typically more expensive than acrylic and polystyrene, but it is extremely strong. Many people associate polycarbonate with "bullet-proof glass" because it is the same material used to make armored windows in government motorcade vehicles as well as airplane windows. Lexan is one of the most popular brand names associated with polycarbonate
http://www.displays2go.com/Article/The-Many-Forms-Clear-Plastic-5

Tini-tiny figures like this use tini-tiny rods of the clear plastic at their joints and there's almost no complaints about them breaking.
>>
>>5734577
The plastics they used were inconsistent. I have some figs that are perfectly fine, meanwhile my Hush figure's joints are literally melting.
>>
File: gl sdcc.jpg (122 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
gl sdcc.jpg
122 KB, 800x533
>>5734599
It's anecdotal.
I have dozens of DCD/DCC figures and I've had no problems with any of them. Even ones that had larger than normal complaints like BTAS Catwoman.

Probably the only consistently complained about toys that seem to have breakage problems was that first wave of BTAS figures and the larger types like Arkham Killer Croc.
I attribute the BTAS breakages on people just being hamhanded though, but i can understand them breaking. i don't treat mine with kid gloves though... after the first freeing of joints that i do with every single figure i own. It doesn't hurt to be too careful.

pic of more small figures with tiny little clear rods going through their joints that nary got complaints.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.