[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good Doctor Who figures? I'm particularly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 13
File: shopping.jpg (14 KB, 260x416) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
14 KB, 260x416
Are there any good Doctor Who figures? I'm particularly looking for the 10th and 11th docs. There doesn't seem to be many good ones that I can see, even the Hot Toys look kinda dated.
>>
Facial likenesses for any Dr Who toys do seem to be crap. 4th Doctor is off, 6th Doctor you can tell they didn't give a shit about the asshole doctor(implying the BBC ever cared about that one), if it's not a Dalek, Cyberman or an alien then it's probably not right.

>11 doctor set on Amazon for an okay price
>4th looks like he just heard bad news, 6th looks like he's mad that mommy wouldn't buy him a toy, articulation is highly inconsistent

And then I saw the 1:6 scale stuff, for $220 I expect a perfect facial likeness, not one that's way off. They're not even Hot Toys, they're another company. Hot Toys wouldn't have screwed up.
>>
File: 11.jpg (468 KB, 1000x900) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
468 KB, 1000x900
The 5inch figure line has to be one of the GOAT figure ranges, especially for fans of the show. So many great figures.

You can pick up the 10th/11th Doctors around, probably second hand market though. Toys R Us has had some re-releases, I think.

The 10th Doctor is quite an old mould that they've never updated so pretty limited on articulation. This is probably the 11th Doctor set to go for if you like that costume (best face sculpt/physique + Dalek).
>>
File: topham trump.jpg (169 KB, 632x467) Image search: [Google]
topham trump.jpg
169 KB, 632x467
All of these, most of them were only £7 a pop, there were sets of four of them for £20. Wow.

http://doctorwhotoys.net/figures.htm
>>
>>5729025
>only £7 a pop,
Those were the days.

>>5728724
That's probably the best 11th Doctor you'll find, all the others have the weird pivot arm joints. I 'd buy it, but I'm not too keen on the facesculpt and I'd prefer it without the waistcoat
>>
>>5728724
That's the only line that does DW action figures, so that's pretty much what you'll get. I personally love that one, as it's the GOAT Doctor costume
>>
Looking at the figures available now they look like liquid shit.

I remember picking up a Tennant-era Cyberman in 2007 on impulse, and the amount of detail on that was great. Say what you will about Rusty, he brought in the views and that had synergy with the product quality
>>
>>5729079
I'm not huge on that figure really. The way the purple jacket hangs on him doesn't look anything as dynamic as it should.

The alternate heads are great though - Old 11 is on the Snowman body (wish it had a bowtie) and I swapped the 12 head on the polka dot figure.
>>
>>5729091
I think it's something to do with the pain applications, which sucks. The War Doctor and the new 8th Doctor look like cartoons.

I really like the Roman soldiers we got though, as they're quite random and not what you might expect for the range.
>>
File: -5.jpg (65 KB, 580x773) Image search: [Google]
-5.jpg
65 KB, 580x773
>>5728724
Big Chief is GOAT anon, but quite expensive.
They did Ten, Eleven, Four, One, Clara, Twelve and are ready to launch War and Eight.
>>
>>5729112
That looks nothing like the 11th Doctor (haha).

But seriously they don't look as good in person, unfortunately.
>>
File: 69009-tardisall.jpg (131 KB, 660x495) Image search: [Google]
69009-tardisall.jpg
131 KB, 660x495
I would look to LEGO for the best representations of Doctor Who now. Character Options seem to be lost in how they want to release Doctor Who toys.
>>
>>5729161
>Lego
Dirty casual, hardcore fans collect pic related
>>
>>5729161
>modern fans act like the Doctor falling in love is out of character and hate River Song
>the fandom has collectively forgotten that he had a granddaughter as of the first season in the 60s, meaning he had a family

I can understand someone who lives for centuries avoiding relationships with a species that will die long before him, but any romance whatsoever? Nah. Romance was clearly in character before the series began. Of course the writers since the 2nd Doctor onward really fucked up by never bringing her back into the plot, not even once, to remind us she exists.
>>
>>5729266
>not being autistic enough to take the VNA approach to things and consider that time lords reproduce by looms
You disappoint me anon.
>>
>>5729344
I was never out to make you happy in the first place.
>>
>>5729248
Hardcore fans are dumb then, because those CBC figs are garbage, they all look like constipated sex dolls.

>>5729266
You've got to leave something for the 75th or 100 Anniversaries.
>>
>>5729248
>tfw found two clear variant weeping angels from the first wave of these
>later found mr gold with my bag feeling skills
My luck with blind bags has been pretty good
>>
File: IMG_0261.jpg (494 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0261.jpg
494 KB, 1280x960
Doctor Who 5" collection of mine, have almost every other figure in storage too. I'd say they're the best likeness you'll get, especially for the price.

>>5729079
This 11th also has those pivots. They look okay when they're straight but since his arms are quite thin and oblong shaped, they do stick out when rotated.
>>
What is the best articulated figure of the whole line?
>>
>>5730183
Odd question. Some are better than others obviously but typically the standard is very high.

I'd end up saying the 'best' as something completely arbitrary like River Song.
>>
>>5730212
Ah, having looked at the most recent stuff, it's improved quite a bit (I posted that when I was looking at tennant era ones), I like the astronaut figure, that looks like it's one of the best. It's a shame they don't do more of the monsters.
>>
>>5729112
>1:6th scale Eight

That actually sounds pretty fucking cool.
>>
>>5729266
He was banging Susan. She just called him Grandfather for appearances sake.
>>
>>5730257
Yeah there used to be loads of monsters with their own individual sculpts and everything (with variants on top of that). Shame the line has died down now and basically been replaced with those smaller ones.

>>5730563
Do we know which costume? I reckon it'll be Night of the Doctor as that's the one they seem to be focusing on now.
>>
>>5730985
Delete this.
>>
File: daleks.jpg (519 KB, 1893x822) Image search: [Google]
daleks.jpg
519 KB, 1893x822
>>5728724
I'm slowly trying to build a d51 of Daleks, here's my collection so far, I was late to the game but I think I can catch up and get one of every classic Dalek design. I'm not too fussed on newer Daleks, so maybe Sec, Paradigm and gold will move on eventually.
>>
>Do we know which costume? I reckon it'll be Night of the Doctor as that's the one they seem to be focusing on now.

TV movie as shown in the pics.
>>
>>5730183
The new series Sontarans are bizarrely well articulated. They've got universal shoulders and hips, single joint knees and elbows, ball jointed ankles and wrists, swivel necks (really all they need) and, of all things, an upside down balljointed crotch, like the designer read about how Figuarts worked and wanted to give it a try or something.
>>
>>5731747
No Special Weapons? That's my personal favourite Dalek, besides the ROTD one.
>>
>>5730183
>>5730212
It'd probably be one of the much newer figures right? I think past the 11th doctor box-set with his old man head they started using outward-arm articulation.
Which would definitely be a one-up on the old articulation, most of which was pretty much the same I think. Up and down arms, elbows, head, wrists, knees, waist, sometimes boots/shins.
>>
>>5734343
I'd need to get a Remembrance set so it's better if I don't buy him singularly as well. Ebay isn't being too kind with prices for that set.

>ROTD
Revelation of the Daleks?
Resurrection of the Daleks?
Remembrance of the Daleks?
>>
are there any decent Dalek toys that open up to show the slug thing inside?
>>
File: Picture1.png (3 MB, 1676x781) Image search: [Google]
Picture1.png
3 MB, 1676x781
Only the Dalek with mutant reveal from this range. Not 100% accurate but can be customised quite easily.
>>
>>5735323
My bad sorry, I was going to type it all out but decided to shorten it. Remembrance.
You thought about getting the Sound Effects one? I think it's pretty much exactly the same figure, but with added sounds.
>>
File: remembranceofthedaleks2.jpg (59 KB, 580x764) Image search: [Google]
remembranceofthedaleks2.jpg
59 KB, 580x764
>>5735415
I've thought about it, but I would still need the three daleks that aren't available separately.
Or are they?

>>5735327
>>
>>5735445
I think the Remembrance Dalek was in a two pack with the 7th doc, but I assume that's probably worth quite a bit at this point.
>>
>>5735478
That one has a slightly smaller eyestalk, do I need both or is that too pedantic?
>>
God, I wish a real toy maker would get this license. Come on, Hasbro, the show's popular. Even Mattel would be a step up, and that's a pretty dire situation to be in.
>>
>>5738592
The BBC will keep it in the hands of a UK company, and it's not big enough in the US to warrant handing over. BBC didn't even consider Netflix important enough to keep the series on that over here.
>>
File: 21304-box.jpg (778 KB, 1768x1468) Image search: [Google]
21304-box.jpg
778 KB, 1768x1468
>>5738601
It's big enough for Lego to consider.
>>
>>5738601
;_;
>>
>>5738601
>BBC didn't even consider Netflix important enough to keep the series on that over here.

Nothing to do with importance, quite the opposite. They were apparently set to set up a Netflix rival, where they'll host their own content (and others I assume).
>>
>>5738622
>It's big enough for Lego to milk
Fixed, and that't not saying much, considering the stuff they've got on the Lego Dimensions line
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.