[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Questions about /toy/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: ATTENTION GRABBING IMAGE.png (323 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
ATTENTION GRABBING IMAGE.png
323 KB, 800x800
I'm a newfag to this board who's been lurking around admiring some of the cool shit that pops up around here from time to time.

What are some of the most popular or high quality toy brands or genres that people get into (at least on this board)?
What type of toys are easiest for people to get into?
General rules/etiquette that are followed? (Besides the hot glue meme)

There's a hell of a lot of diversity when it comes to what gets posted around here and I'm not familiar with the culture. Just curious.
>>
>>5720533
>Easiest

Lego.

>Highest quality

Hot Toys, Arcadia/Yamato, various Bandai lines.
>>
>>5720533
Funko Pops are garbage, you can collect them, but don't ever mention having them
>>
>What are some of the most popular or high quality toy brands or genres that people get into (at least on this board)?
Figma, S.H. Figuarts, Transformers/unofficial third party, Revoltech/Vulcanlog, Nendoroid, Super Action Statues, Robot Damashii, Super Robot Chogokin, Ultra-act 2.0 (for Ultraman), S.H. Monsterarts, Cu-poche, etc etc.
Other Western shit includes like Marvel Legends or LEGO.
Basically, most people here collect animushit, robotshit, and/or tokushit.
>What type of toys are easiest for people to get into?
Most of what's listed, except maybe Ultra-act and Monsterarts because many are discontinued/expensive on the aftermarket. Third party Transformers are also pretty steep.
>General rules/etiquette that are followed?
1. Don't be a faggot, respect others opinions, don't talk shit you don't know about, etc
2. Do your own research first before asking questions, seriously.
3. Ignore the obvious shitposters, report and ignore.
4. Invest in Shock Oil lubricant (for tight joints), fine sandpaper, and acrylic clear polish (for loose joints). You'll need it.

Also, just buy whatever you like. I don't know why some people here buy things for /toy/ credit.
>>
I'd suggest you make yourself a MyFigureCollection account so you can search for merchandise by character name and see (usually) a full catalog of what's been made or sometimes is in the works.

>>5720552
This anon is pretty spot on.
However there's a large Lego, comic book figure, and Transformer following here as well.

Also fair warning, statues are not to be discussed. The Nintendo general loves their amiibo shit, but otherwise you'll have to go to /a/'s buyfag threads. It's seemingly split between people who don't give a shit and wouldn't mind talking about statues and the hardcore rulefags who cling to the outdated rule just so they can be belligerent and report posts and the janitors who enforce them.
>>
>>5720552
>>5720552
>Basically, most people here collect animushit, robotshit, and/or tokushit.
Sure is guy who doesn't leave his circlejerk generals and thinks they're the entirety of the board.

The most popular toylines on /toy/ are Marvel, GI Joe, Gunpla, Figma and Transformers/4H/Revoltech/Figuarts are in the sub-100 posters numbers
>>
>>5720635
>and thinks they're the entirety of the board.
Why does 4chan not know what the word "most" means?
>Marvel, GI Joe, Gunpla, Figma and Transformers/4H/Revoltech/Figuarts are in the sub-100 posters numbers...
Gunpla, Transformers, and many Revoltech/Vulcanlogs are robotshit. Majority of Figmas, Revoltech/Vulcanlogs, and Figuarts are animeshit and/or tokushit. Wew.

Gonna disagree with G.I. Joe, though. I've rarely ever seen them in the collection threads. Star Wars seems more popular, even.
>>
>>5720533
This guy >>5720552 was pretty much on the money.

In regards to shitposters though here's some advice; peon, subjectanon and greg aren't memes, they're actual shitposters that /toy/ soldiers can detect from a mile away.

So if you see people calling someone those names then it's not supposed to be an insult or meme, they're actually calling those shitposters by name so other posters can know to not bother replying to them, and in which case just it's best to just lurk, report and ignore them.
>>
>>5720661
>Why does 4chan not know what the word "most" means?
Because you don't understand what it means?
The most talked about subjects on /toy/ are all comic lines. GI Joe, Marvel, Transformers, which are some of the most popular threads on /toy/.
>Majority of
yet there's a lot of talk in those Figma/Figuarts/etc threads are about Marvel figures. And STar Wars, i guess.

>Gonna disagree with G.I. Joe, though. I've rarely ever seen them in the collection threads. Star Wars seems more popular, even.
Star Wars might be more popular, but that's hard to measure, unlike the GI Joe thread having a clear amount of posters in the hundreds.
Also, ever heard of a vocal minority? Those collection threads are already predisposed toward Transfags anyway, what with their need to show how giant their clusterfucks are.
I don't think I have any GI Joe stuff on display on my shelves either, even though i have well over a thousand of them.

I'm actually surprised that the Tranformers threads don't have that many posters. Assuming the Third PArty threads will have crossovers, it still seems really small base, no larger than Figuarts or ball jointed dolls.
>>
>>5720635
>GI Joe
>Revoltech
Are you on "the drugs" anon? There's literally 4 people here that collect Joes, and only casuals, newfriends, and /v/trash buy Revoltech.
>>
>>5720734
>The most talked about subjects on /toy/ are all comic lines
When you dismiss all the other threads and toylines, sure. There's more than just Figuarts and Figma, Anon.
And Transformers are robotshit, you can't argue against that.
>Those collection threads are already predisposed toward Transfags anyway...
You don't pay attention to them, then. It's a lot more diverse than that.
>I'm actually surprised that the Tranformers threads don't have that many posters
It gets to 100+ posters, not including the people who only buy third party stuff or actively avoid the shitty generals.

This ain't 2009 anymore, bud. Not many people buy touch G.I. Joe shit on /toy/.
>>
>>5720533
>What are some of the most popular or high quality toy brands or genres that people get into (at least on this board)?
That's incredibly broad, like asking what's the best car. It depends on what your interests are. LEGO is popular, but you might hate construction sets.

One other aspect of /toy/ not covered is that threads will last for days or even weeks, so you don't need to bump threads if nobody has replied to it recently. If it has merit, someone knowledgeable will eventually come by with a word or two.
>>
>>5720551
Well, at least outside of the Funk POP threads, or teasing another anon about how their favorite franchise will only get Funkos.
>>
>>5720708
Well, not necessarily, sometimes we do call anons by the names of various shitposters/infamous members of a fandom (e.g. Jin Saotome of the transformers board) to insult them by pointing out that they are acting like said shitposter.
>>
>>5720740
Used to be more joe collectors a few years ago, Acid Rain, glyos and 3A too. Wonder where they went.
>>
>>5720919
Maybe, but bringing him up out of nowhere in a random thread is just retarded.
>>
File: cobra commander kicking dog.jpg (118 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
cobra commander kicking dog.jpg
118 KB, 800x600
>>5720740
except the Joe thread shows that there are over 110 posters in it. >>5667374

>>5720776
What am i dismissing? I checked out each thread to see how many people post in each one. If it's a brand new thread, i check out the old one for total numbers. The most popular threads are the ones i stated, with over a hundred posters.
Everything else is under a hundred, minus maybe the LEGO ones stated by people earlier.

>And Transformers are robotshit, you can't argue against that.
Where'd i say it wasnt? I said that comic related stuff are the most popular stuff and that includes TF. I even mentioned Gunpla in my post, so guess what i AM dismissing?

>It gets to 100+ posters.
I don't see it.
I know the threads can jam by pretty fast, but it might just be a vocal minority. Like i said, I'm pretty surprised that there aren't more people.

>Not many people buy touch G.I. Joe shit on /toy/.
And yet, it's still one of the most popular threads on /toy/ and people continue posting their pictures in multiple threads.
Why are you so dismissive about a popular toy brand?
>>
>>5721086
>implying his trolls aren't retards
... well they could be underagedbans, but all kids are retards anyway. Same shit.
>>
>>5721091
You're confusing the amount that people talk about something versus the amount of people talking about something.

There's less GI Joe collectors here than statueshit collectors. Whatever way you try and construe this, you're doing it for the benefit of something you collect and not through objective honesty.
>>
>>5721107
>a vocal minority is more popular than an actual majority
wut?
Or are you actually pretending that more talk = more people, thus without any proofs, you know more people like X?
Just look at the TF threads on how fast they burn through them and how few people actually post there.
Hell, that gregtroll thread reached 200 posts despite it only being around 30 kids.

>the amount that people talk about something
versus
>the amount of people talking about something.
seriously, wut?
>>
>>5721122
>seriously, wut?
So then you really don't understand basic concepts. Okay, thanks for playing, have a good one.
>>
>>5721124
I'm just trying to fit what you're actually saying to what i assume is your theory.

Again, there's over a 110 people in the GI Joe thread.
Versus... whatever you're trying to claim. Only the Marvel thread gets more people (still haven't checked the LEGO one so whatever).
Your argument is the exact opposite of the facts.
>>
>>5721137
Here's why you're a retard: you think that that's 110 individuals. There's not even 200 active /toy/ posters. It's called mobile phones, dumbfuck. Every time someone posts on cellular and is on a different tower, it registers them as a new poster. When you restart your computer and post in a thread you've already posted in, it'll register you as a new user as well.

God almighty, I wish the shithole GI Joe forums would come and pick you up to take you home already.
>>
>>5721164
>claims samefag to dismiss all facts that are contrary to his beliefs
how sad.
>>
File: 1460166633507.jpg (158 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1460166633507.jpg
158 KB, 1024x1024
I have a question about Kendama, I'm a casual juggler and I want to try it, but I don't want to waste my money in a low quality toy, can you help me?
>>
>>5721164
>I wish the shithole GI Joe forums would come and pick you up to take you home already.

Yo Joe is functionally dead, and Joe Customs hates us so much they got Jin to shitpost and harass /toy/ users.
>>
>>5721199
Didn't these used to be $5-10 before then somehow got ridiculously popular?
>>
>>5720533
Gonna need sauce on that pic OP.
>>
>>5720533
When I first saw this picture, the first thing I thought besides "Hey look, semen on boobs" was "there's no way breasts could squeeze sunblock out of a tube that hard." Does this mean I'm autistic?
>>
>>5722145
Sauce is Google Image Search.
>>
File: shock-and-surprise.gif (876 KB, 410x305) Image search: [Google]
shock-and-surprise.gif
876 KB, 410x305
>>5721091
Jesus Christ... is that Internet Explorer on your taskbar?
>it's running
>>
>>5720740
>/v/trash buy Revoltech
that's figma though no revoltech
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.