[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
3D printing SFM model
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
The current consumer technology is not quite there yet, but we're edging ever so closer to it. The time will come when you can rip ingame assets and 3D print your own figure
>>
Xd dude off you are self
>>
>>5709169
You'd still have to design a joint system and print it in pieces
>>
>>5709218
Or buy a bag of 100 figma/revo joints from china for $20
>>
>>5709225
Okay, then you still have print it in pieces and drill holes.
>>
>>5709225
How would this avoid designing a joint system or having to print in pieces?

Are you a fucking retard?

The man didn't say "then you'd have to print joints".

Read it again, dumbass.
>>
>>5709457
ok this post was a little mean of me
>>
>>5709225
>Figma
Huh, are those genuine/factory stolen, or bootleg?
>>5709457
Not him, but even I don't understand what you meant by "joint system" and not mean the joints. When people say "joint system", it's always the actual joints themselves.
>ok this post was a little mean of me
Yeah, you are kind of a cunt.
>>
File: 1438996432824.jpg (444 KB, 2000x1086) Image search: [Google]
1438996432824.jpg
444 KB, 2000x1086
I don't know man it looks like we're already pretty damn close. The prints are starting to look really clean and crisp, and the materials are getting stronger and finer. I'd say it's only a matter of time before we can print fully articulated figma quality figures with just the click of a button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27aeaaEeGDI
>>
I'm planning on 3d printing custom parts for some of the Mythic Legion dudes I ordered.
[spoiler]Shooting for an Ornstein helmet from Dark Souls to swap with Sir Galeon aka golden knight dude. [spoiler]Also going for the Dragonslayer spear[/spoiler][/spoiler]
>Already have 3d modeling experience
>Could also just find/acquire rips for the model
>Have access to modeling software via engineering major, also takes in real measurements and auto-adjusts scale
>3d printing machine parts is totally the same as 3d printing toy parts right? Right.
>University has a pretty dope 3d printer, first 10ft by 10ft print is free, I think the next are like $10 each
>Shamelessly a /tg/ kinda guy, if I can paint a mini, I can paint a helmet no problem
>Also going maximum nerd and using calipers to get accurate dimensions and shit.
I mean, getting buttfucked with tuition, might as well use the school equipment and apply part of my major for toy-related purposes, right?
[spoiler]Also might be fun as a little side project, you know?[/spoiler]
>>
>>5710610
And it seems I will never learn that spoilers aren't a thing on /toy/ for some reason.
>>
>>5709169
Id rather print accessories
>>
>>5709543
>The prints are starting to look really clean and crisp
No it doesn't
It's still all grainy and rough.
>>
>>5709525
joint system ie, a system of joints that work together resulting in movement in that of a humanoid or the desired range of movement
>>
>>5710610
Check how grainy the 3D printer is first. To print something for the 6 inch scale toy and then paint them might be hard. One option around it that I've been thinking is to print at bigger scale, sand the trademark 3D print grains and then hydroshrink mold it out with real Smoothcast plastic rather than the crumbly crunchies texture of 3D printing.
>>
>>5710643
Then you're/he's talking about the joints. No idea what's with the pissyness in >>5709457.
>>
File: image.jpg (142 KB, 1458x968) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142 KB, 1458x968
>>5711063
Or use just use a dlp printer
>>
>>5711079
Oh SHIT you are dumb

A joint SYSTEM doesn't just involve the little balls that are joints but how the entire fucking FIGURE works, where exactly you put the joints, how the limbs connect to each other, etc.

Not just "printing out a joint", but DESIGNING how the FIGURE fucking WORKS

get it now, pea-brain?

>>5710643 explained it correctly yet you are still too daft to comprehend...wow
>>
>>5711174
UV resin is sensitive to UV (i.e. even sensitive to UV degradation than normal resin and plastics)

You'd need to recast it, which is another added cost.
>>
>>5711214
>UV resin is sensitive to UV (i.e. even sensitive to UV degradation than normal resin and plastics)

*Citation required
>>
>>5709543
>I'd say it's only a matter of time before we can print fully articulated figma quality figures with just the click of a button.
I hope you know how to paint and make decals.

>>5711467
>resin chemically designed to be UV reactive is more UV sensitive than regular plastics
The only citation needed is a fucking brain.
>>
>>5711660
No for real gonna need you to back that up with an article or something.
>>
File: 10_08_01.jpg (71 KB, 750x540) Image search: [Google]
10_08_01.jpg
71 KB, 750x540
>>5710628
You can smooth out the graininess with a can of Primer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLQ4zf7VHJo
>>
>>5709169
>just getting into casting and molding since my budget allows it
>see this thread

Yeah boohoo anon try gitting gud instead of waiting for jetpacks, flying cars and your waifu replicator.
>>
>>5709169
>Luigi being bashful, thinking she's being flirtatious and giggly
>really she's laughing under her breath in disgust at the smelly itallian man next to her
>>
>>5712347
>You can smooth out the graininess with a can of Primer.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLQ4zf7VHJo

That's a form1 print, it was already that smooth.
>>
>>5712730
Molding and casting wouldn't do you any good if you can't sculpt you're waifu face

Ripping ingame models and printing it straight would bypass that requirement at least for vidya related waifu
>>
>>5713066
>Ripping ingame models
Try importing it into something like Zbrush to cut joints.

You're going to get a huge mess. You can work forward using a high-res original but you can't work backwards using a low-poly end model that has a non-continuous mesh (floating elements, holes, flat planes, etc.)
>>
>>5713077
Why can't you just print it solid and then cut the joints afterwards, with aide of some apoxie sculpt for the transitions and bunch of chinese bootlegs revo/figma joints? I.e. like how some people at customs general turning statues or McFarlane stuff into a more articulated figure
>>
>>5713086
With FDM the parts will be partially hollow, even at 100% infill IIRC. It might be okay with SLA resin parts, but cutting a statue for joints is always difficult.

So basically you can, but it's far better to design it from the ground up as a figure. Also, you're working with resin, a highly toxic material.
>>
>>5713077
>You're going to get a huge mess. You can work forward using a high-res original but you can't work backwards using a low-poly end model that has a non-continuous mesh (floating elements, holes, flat planes, etc.)

Uh, sure you can, just weld some points, subdivide the model, and there you go, you might have to add some shit in to make it water tight but it gives you a decent enough base. Flat panels you qmesh out or whatever. I do it all the time with models from WoW.
>>
File: Untitled.png (317 KB, 690x637) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
317 KB, 690x637
>>5713077
>but you can't work backwards
yes you can
>>
Digital Sculpting is already there and very intuitive. Joints can be purchased. For customizers, this can be great in terms of casting from prototypes and refining.

Lazy fucks think they wont have to paint or refine 3D prints and need to keep their NEET asses in the basement.

This is great for prototyping and just that right now.
>>
>>5713086
Cutting apart a statue and adding joints isn't as easy as people in threads like this make it out to be. If you want it to look good, you'll have to put so much effort into cutting, drilling, hollowing out, and re-sculpting parts that you may as well just sculpt the figure from scratch. Most of the people who talk about 3D printing posable figures don't have anywhere near the ability required to make said prints look half decent - it's gonna be a long time, if ever, until we reach the "press a button for instant toy" fantasy people keep bringing up.
>>
>>5711206
Man you are one grumpy dude, maybe you should go take a breather or something instead of slowly making your blood pressure rise over some post on 4chan. All anon had to say was joint system and you just like exploded. They're just toys, they aren't really meant to be taken seriously, fun is kind of the whole point
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.