[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vintage Vinyl and Modern Retro vinyl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 14
File: 462x600-2016050200030.jpg (37 KB, 462x600) Image search: [Google]
462x600-2016050200030.jpg
37 KB, 462x600
This is a Japanese vintage vinyl toy (1960's - 1980's) and modern retro style vinyl toy thread.
Discuss what you like to see in old toys or are planning on buying, what the toys depict from what movie/series, and where to purchase these things.

Vintage vinyl is all the old kaiju toys like Godzilla, Kamen Rider, Mirror Man, Ultraman, Gamera, Go Nagi's Devilman and ect., old tokustatsu in general made in Japan from when the toys were made for kids after movies and such.

modern retro vinyl are things that reproduce old characters or create new characters that harken back to the style of toys that were simpler from the time period above. Examples are like that coming from SUPER FESTIVAL

Super Festival 68
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0WUwFypTL4
Super Festival 68
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAcDi38g-50
Super Festical home page
http://artstorm.co.jp/sufes.html

Buy new and used here.
Im picking up some Daimajin soon here.http://www.viciousfun.com
>>
Heres a group photo out there.
These are some examples.
Is /toy/ in general not into retro vintage?
>>
File: 4633178297_e294e9e416.jpg (81 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
4633178297_e294e9e416.jpg
81 KB, 500x333
>>5679220
I find modern sofubi more appealing than that collection. I want to get into these, but can't really justify it atm. I like super7's rose vampire.

/toy/ is not into retro vinyl
>muh articulation
>muh sculpt
>>
>>5679231
Thanks for the feed back and post.
Maybe I should move this thread to /jp/?
Yeah, there is a huge wave of artists going into sofubi. When it comes to making art and being able to reap a profit from it creating your own sofubi vinyl toys are going to be the best way to go.

Personally I don't like the clunky guys that don't move. They should have at least 1 - 3 moving limbs. Im going to try to work on my own art and work with a studio/factory in making my own.

Any sofubi artists you follow or galleries you know of?

Im more than happy to talk about modern sofubi.
>>
>>5679231
>/toy/ is not into retro vinyl
>muh articulation
>muh sculpt

Those aren't even the reasons why people didn't bother talking about them before. It's mostly because of the exclusory pricetag a lot of the "Art" figures have.

>>5679213
I don't have any vintage ones, but every now and then i'll pick up any Rider/Sentai Hero sofubi figure that I think looks neat. Will post pics after work.

Neat to hear that you're interested in making vinyl figures of your own, do you have any designs/protos/ideas of what you want to make?
>>
>>5679235
Keep in mind that /toy/ is also one of the slower boards, so wait til morning to see if you get some more (you)s. Retro vinyl is such a small niche that you won't find many posters here. There was a kidrobot style art toy / urban vinyl thread recently that got some posts.

I've considered making my own rotocast to make something like this, because the cost of all the materials and parts to make it is on par with buying a few sofubi. I saw that one artist doesn't even have a machine, he just hand rotates each toy. My favorite part is the crazy kaiju paintjobs though, so it might be simpler just to learn to paint.
>>
>>5679248
found it, its resin though not vinyl
http://www.myplasticblog.com/studio-visit-2/paul-shih-diy-tutorial-part-ii/
>>
>>5679247
Cool. Would love to see them.

Yes, as far as ideas I do. All of these original sofubi started with tv shows and their stories. I write short stories and try to work on a few novels I have going on.

Have you heard of Max Toy?
He kind of just made his own Ultraman, but I want to make something different. Until I can make my own mass production company I realize that my story line for my toy ideas isn't going to go very far.

Its another tokustatsu, but its going to focus on Monster generals who have their own kaiju headed by what their leader that resembles a Japanese Imperial general.

Im buying some canvas and oil paints soon. Its not an ultra man. I am doing sketch with pen and ink right now, but nothing presentable yet.
>>5679248
Yes, painting your own sculpts is what sells. Limited editions and such. Im seeing mostly 6 inch figures being made form independent artists.

I was considering a 3D printer but hiring a Mexican company to create molds and produce a few dozen or hundred is cheaper. Im just having trouble getting my clay sculpts to the factory. You have to sculpt each part of the toy on its own. I have connected to several artists who are helping me with the process though.
>>
>>5679250
>http://www.myplasticblog.com/studio-visit-2/paul-shih-diy-tutorial-part-ii/
Wheres part 1?
>>
>>5679265
did you click the link? :^)
>>
>>5679267
Yes. I searched the site for the first part and did not see it either.
>>
>>5679285
http://www.myplasticblog.com/studio-visit-2/paul-shih-diy-tutorial/
>>
>>5679291
Thank you.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (242 KB, 1600x1448) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
242 KB, 1600x1448
Oh man, vintage vinyls. I've always wanted to get into them but I haven't had the money to do so. If I ever do, the first one I get will be the bullmark King Ghidorah. Love the color scheme on it.
>>
File: $_57 (10).jpg (294 KB, 1325x1600) Image search: [Google]
$_57 (10).jpg
294 KB, 1325x1600
Im new here.
I hate stuff like POP and other "big headed characters in chiby style pandering to GEEK CULTURE XD" - it makes me stay away from vinyl stuff.

Yet i really love weird toys and monsters and the thing OP mentioned basically made of that stuff.

Are they too expensive? Because every time i see people mention those - its always something around 200-500$.
>>
>Colors don't match the characters
pass
>>
File: $_1 (22).jpg (22 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
$_1 (22).jpg
22 KB, 400x300
Bump, because some faggots created another shit teir vinyl thread on the front page before looking at the catalog.
>>
File: $_1 (7).jpg (36 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
$_1 (7).jpg
36 KB, 300x400
>>5679353
It can get expensive fast.
You have two spectrums of thearket on opposite ends, bUT at the same time both fetch around the same price range.

For vintage vinyls there are a lot of collectors yet a very small amount of products left in existance. So many kids either broke those old toys or eventually had their parents throw them away just like we had done to us as the 90s generation. This fetches high prices.

If you are lucky you will win auctions, but you will still need a good amount of cash and find an international bidding service, which is easy to find but not so easy to work with on your own.

Here, I'll let you in on a secret.
Yahoo auctions japan.
Everyone who knows anything about finding japanese goods goes there.

Then you have the brand new vinyls. These are designer toys either run indepently or by small toy companies. Either way it's all artist run. Then you consider that all of these vinyls for the most part are hand painted. It's not so expensive having a factory in Mexico produce your toys, but it is in Hong Kong and Japan. You really can only mass produce on huge numbers in Japan or Hong Kong. Hong Kong does better mass production for independent artists than Japan in my opinon and what I've heard from new members in this feild.

It's truly unique peices of art you invest in for inspirational fun.

It all comes down to what you are looking for and orginality.

Might Max? I see you.
>>
>>5679324
There like 3 color schemes released for the orginal bullmark.
>>
File: image.jpg (238 KB, 1024x465) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
238 KB, 1024x465
Toygraph Space Troopers. Fucking beautiful. Expensive though.
>>
>>5679675

I see some bullmark toys on ebay sometimes, so there's a couple of collectors in the US. At least, I see Godzilla and Ultraman stuff. I imagine if you wanted to go outside of that you'd have some trouble.

One day I'm gonna get into it, though. It'll be slow since these things can be expensive as fuck.
>>
File: DSCN0488_800.jpg (95 KB, 755x566) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0488_800.jpg
95 KB, 755x566
>>5679675
>So many kids either broke those old toys or eventually had their parents throw them away just like we had done to us as the 90s generation. This fetches high prices.
Yeah i know that feel.
i just really love weird or cheesy-looking b-movie level of toys.
And i expected it to be cheap because only autist would love that...but it actually an elitist thing and its expensive.

Still i guess i will buy like 1 or 2 the most awesome vinyls to my taste if i see it.
Thanks so much for secret opening and information, anon!
>>
Can someone explain what exactly kaiju is? I know the monster movies from Japan are called kaiju, but then kaiju is an "art" figures movement too? I mean like I see people call lame ass Godzilla rubber toys "kaiju" but that has no connection to "Super7" or "Secret Base" you know? I would like some clarification here please.
>>
>>5679840
Do you own all these?
Those are pretty impressive sculpts despite not having any moving limps like they traditionally do.
>>5680260
Oh yeah there is a ton of bulwark and popi and eat. vinyl on eBay. Ebay is like the top of all the prices out there though. At the same time surprisingly eBay is the only place you will find some vintage stuff. I have several things on eBay I would like to buy.

I just keep importing a ton of other stuff at cheaper cost though.
>>5680299
Yeah, I had that guy to the farthest left at one point and the far bottom right. I might still have them. We had like 3 barrels of toys but then our parents made us get it down to like 1 after I turned 10 or something. Still scarring to this day.

yeah I will post some more links tonight when Ive got them gathered up.
>>5680559
Let me see if I can help
>Can someone explain what exactly kaiju is?
Kaiju simply in Japanese means "giant monster".
There are also "Kaijin" which is humanoid monster or monster man.
Kaijin are often seen in daily tv shows of Tokustatsu (A genre simply entitled as "special effects" referring to miniatures and other colorful array of prop, puppet, and added rays eat.).
A good example of Kaijin is all the monsters from you "muh Power Rangers" or characters from Lion Maru series.

>but then kaiju is an "art" figures movement too?
>I mean like I see people call lame ass Godzilla rubber toys "kaiju"
Correct. This art movement tries to replicate or produce giant monster characters, but everything like Secret Base and Super 7 originates from a time when many companies in Asia and Japan were creating bootleg obvious copy cat toys of popular series.

Artists and people who saw these toys have recently in the past 16 years or so create their own vinyl kaiju like monsters to come off as genuine to that area as possible.

Some where along the lines of this retro new kaiju style came out other artists just wanted to make their own vinyl toys, thus we get things like Secret Base
>>
theres a whole bunch of (not really vinyl i think) kaiju in mandarake's urban mines today.

might be a good way to start a collection.
>>
>>5680627
Yeah there is.
Mandrake is amazing. Their toys aren't even the main reasonI go to mandrake. Wish I had some photos to share from there.

Super Festival happens 2 times a year in Osaka and things there are dirt cheap. Mandrake vendors go there and buy a ton of stuff and sell it for a good profit in tokyo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJubZS6FCng
>>
>>5679213
lol this looks like a fucking happymeal toy and people fucking pay over 600 dollars for it?
>>
Gonna be in LA for a few days, other than the GR stores, is there a place out here that is solid on import vinyl?
>>
are these figures glyos compatible?
>>
>>5681322

This one is from the 70s and it's one of the rarer Bullmarks. Honestly not many of him around anymore.
>>
File: marmit_mothman.jpg (174 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
marmit_mothman.jpg
174 KB, 480x640
who /cryptids/ here?
>>
>>5682841
OOOHHHHH FUCKING MOTHMAN VINYL!?

I NEEEED THIS!!

I'm going to stop in Point Pleasant WV hopefully on my way back home this summer. (Moving across the country again.)
>>
>>5680618
I don't own all those space troopers. I don't even own one, unfortunately. They're pretty expensive. They do have removable helmets though, and some have crazy light-up heads. I thought I remembered their arms being able to move, but watching videos now I don't actually see that happening.
>>
>>5682841
holy shit this is cool.
h-how much is he?
probably costs a shit ton bcuz muh rare exclusive shit?
>>
>>5682841
>cryptid

Damn this thing aint even on ebay.
>>
>>5685344
It probably retailed for $50-$60 but I have no clue what it would go for today. I can't find it anywhere.
>>
So this is probably a weird question but fuck it.

How would one go about making their own custom vinyl toys? What kind of things would you need to do it?
>>
>>5686378
>>5679293
>>5679265
Resin is easier at home.
>>
File: tmp0vx0jj.jpg.580x580_q85.jpg (71 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tmp0vx0jj.jpg.580x580_q85.jpg
71 KB, 500x500
>>5685590
If you knew the amount of cool shit that ain't on ebay...
>>
File: space giants.jpg (342 KB, 628x750) Image search: [Google]
space giants.jpg
342 KB, 628x750
Are there any of you on here old enough to remember when "SPACE GIANTS" aired on American TV?

Im not, but I found out it aired in the states at some time. I imagine it aired in the 1970's because my father said he use to watch Johny Soko on Saturdays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcDRg9N8OwE

>>5681322
He's X-plus size as well.
X-size toys use to be pretty common.
All you ever see today that are X-plus are like the vinyl star wars figures out.
X-plus toys are part of the past now, plus who doesn't want a big monster kaiju toy?
>>5681449
Hey, not sure if you're still on here but yeah. Heres two.
Meltdown Comics is a good place. I have orders pending with them right now.
http://www.meltcomics.com/blog/

Also Jungle Los, Angles
http://www.animejungle.net/user/scripts/user/category.php

>>5682306
>gloss
No I really don't think so.
>>5687113
Yeah, but I really don't like resin.
I don't mind solid vinyl toys though. I would enjoy if my toys I make were solid vinyl.
>>
More Urban Mines monsters tomorrow
>>
File: figumate_gamera_group.jpg (36 KB, 550x264) Image search: [Google]
figumate_gamera_group.jpg
36 KB, 550x264
>>5687759
>Anime Jungle
Horry shit! Last time I was in LA they had the huge X-plus Biolante! I wanted it badly but all I could afford were some super deformed Gamera toys. They had the whole set but I just bought two and I never could find the rest of them again :(
>>
So, any places that sell vintage vinyl toys? Only place I know of is ebay and clawmarktoys.
>>
>>5688288
Really? I plan on buying at least two almost X-plus size toys from them in several months. Those look so inexpensive. What re you looking to buy there? They have almost everything.
>>5689395
Please check out both of my links here >>5687759

Anime Jungle is more reliable as they have a huge amount of stock.
>>5688241
I've never heard of these. This is a brand you would recommend?
>>
I've been toying with the idea of setting up a crank-powered rotocasting rig and making some sofubi-styled figures of my own, mostly because I love sculpting weird monsters. It's neat to see so much interest in this sort of thing on /toy/; these threads usually fall off the board or get clogged with Funko shitposting.
>>
>>5689577
Drawings?
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.