[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have any of you guys or gals built one of these? What am I in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_20160505_232717.jpg (4 MB, 3464x4618) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160505_232717.jpg
4 MB, 3464x4618
Have any of you guys or gals built one of these? What am I in for here? I heard they're really hard, but I bought some tools for them as well. How fucked am I?
>>
I have built the Millennium Falcon and Vader's TIE ship.

They aren't hard so long as you have some needle nose pliers to bend the metal tabs. Overall they're pretty simple to build if you follow the instructions. That AT-AT looks pretty easy since there aren't any circular pieces, which can be a little finicky to form properly and have the tabs line up.
>>
I bought one of these because it was cheap and spent the better part of an hour hunched over at my desk before I gave up and wrote it off as a learning experience. Fingerprints galore, stabbed myself a few times, tweezers made it harder, pieces broke here and there because they didn't bend perfectly, lost a tiny bit in the carpet... it was a mess. 2/10 would not recommend to anyone suffering chronic hamhands like myself.

The finished ones look neat though.
>>
>>5652352
>>5652363
Yea I was worrying about this, feel like its either gonna go great or very poorly lol
>>
>>5652311
During the holidays I do part time work at a toy store that sells these. One of the other employees built a couple of the tank and Star Trek models. They look great, but they're super fragile. People kept knocking them off the display shelves and breaking them.
>>
File: V__342A.jpg (515 KB, 1593x1195) Image search: [Google]
V__342A.jpg
515 KB, 1593x1195
>>5652311
You need:

-Small cutting piers. Be ready to sharpen them between kits, the metal really does a number on them.
-Small pincers. put some tape on the ends to avoid scratching the metal sheets.
-Any small cylindrical objects. I used a screw driver set, but anything will do.
-Patience and a good amount of pain tolerance. Small metal corners can get underneath your nails and/or cut you. Unless you have thin protective gloves, be ready for this.

I did both series for my boss, hate both X-Wings with a passion.
>>
>>5652812
Thanks Jose
>>
File: 1461112540307.jpg (40 KB, 400x379) Image search: [Google]
1461112540307.jpg
40 KB, 400x379
>>5652988
No problem
>>
looks sharp could maybe cut finger
>>
looks sharp could cut finger?
>>
>>5652311
They're pretty neat. I've read that the AT-ST is supposed to be a bit tricky though because of how intricate those thicc legs are.

Their site lists how challenging some of them are, and also have 360 degree previews of the finished models for extra guidance. This Normandy was pretty easy, but I've built more difficult ones
>>
>>5652311
>>5658185

You don't necessarily need snips to cut the pieces out of the runners - I just strategically bend parts of the metal back and forth to wear down the connections until they break and it's just fine.

I fucked up on my TIE's front guns. I guess it could be considered a civilian vehicle or something
>>
>>5658192
Most pieces you can wiggle off, but anything long and thin you're going to want to snip. I put the lunar lander before I got a nipping tool, and those thin struts I was constantly worrying I would bend too much.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.