[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
JUST
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: usdyen.png (32 KB, 552x229) Image search: [Google]
usdyen.png
32 KB, 552x229
We're on the road to 1USD:99JPY, and will be below it by year's end. The golden age of the last few years is officially over.

>higher msrp
>less accessories
>stronger and stronger yen

Will this affect your purchases and pre-orders? What did you buy during the golden age that was, in retrospect, an AMAZING deal that you wouldn't see today?
>>
>AMAZING deal that you wouldn't see today?
Does this kind of thing ever change the actual build quality or whether a particular toy is produced, or are you just multiplying by .8 now or whatever?
>>
>>5640429
being canadian its already been pure hell. I had to severely cut back.

I guess "amazing deals" were 2500 yen figures with tons of accessories.

Looking back I passed on a lot of figures because they were 3500+, but god damn do I regret it now.

How the fuck can anyone justify paying 6000+ for a 1/12 figure
>>
>>5640429
>tfw going to Tokyo in December
Fuck me, I should have gone last year
>>
i mostly buy pre-owned
>>
>>5640443
OP here, I was thinking about you canadabros when I was making this thread and how shitty you guys have had it. Really hoping we don't get the same effects, because I've seen a lot of you canadians saying that you can barely afford US-made retail figures.
>>
>>5640429
It'll slow me down but it won't stop me!
I hope.

That being said I don't have a lot on PO or on a wishlist. I'll just have to cross my fingers.
>>
>>5640461
>i mostly buy cum soaked

FTFY
>>
>>5640461
If a used figure going for 3000Y was $24 at one point but $30 at another point, you're still affected.
>>
>>5640429
This is a big bump after the BOJ announcement, but it will not go to 99jpy by the end of the year. In a couple of months it should slowly climb back up once the panic is over.
>>
>>5640443
Canadabro here too... I'm in the same boat as you. I have to severely cut back, especially after the ANIME gundam figures cost me over 80$... I just can't do it.
>>
>>5640429
>an AMAZING deal that you wouldn't see today?
murmeltier at 400 pesos ship included
she was at 1600Y+900Y shipment that was 20 dollar at the time
>>
>>5640429
>Will this affect your purchases and pre-orders?
Nope.
>>
>>5640492
>cheap toy
>free cummies
>don't even have to be a good girl
i'm not seeing the downside desu
>>
>>5640429
If this doesn't make Figma stop costing 6000+ yen I'll be supermad
>>
>>5640817
figma will still be 6000+, this makes no difference to their pricing, it mainly effect the excange rate.
>>
>>5640929

Most japanese toys are made in chinese factories, so yes, the exchange rate with the yen does impact production costs.

The likelihood of the manufacturers passing the changes along to the consumer when costs get cheaper is pretty low, though.
>>
The days of figma KOS-MOS and SHF Ryuki and Dragredder at standard retail have been over for years now. We're lucky if they even offer big sets like that as web exclusives nowadays.
>>
I remember how sharply the yen dropped after the 2011 quake to 70 something yen a dollar. It stayed at 80 for a long while.
>>
>>5640940
which is why I say you will still be paying the 6000+ for figma. Production cost saving due to exchange rate means nothing to consumers because it will not lower the price on your end.
>>
File: squiddd.png (105 KB, 232x255) Image search: [Google]
squiddd.png
105 KB, 232x255
>>5640443

third canadian here and it feels bad man.
>>
>>5640985
But the prices can't just keep skyrocketing! It's not like I'm getting more money. How do we stop it?
>>
>>5640953
To be fair, Dragredder (and Knight) were most likely exceptions due to the Figmas coming out earlier and stealing potential customers.
Otherwise they probably would have been sold separately.
>>
>>5641009
>But the prices can't just keep skyrocketing
Yes, they absolutely will. The plateau price range is a very, very long way away from where it is right now. 6000JPY as a low level starting point is probably what we'll be seeing in the next 8-10 years.

The thing to remember here is that Japan's MSRP pricing scheme for all of their exports has been recession priced... for the last 25+ years. That's why there's always so many extreme turns in price. In other words, every knock in the global market super affects them, and with major oil producers starting to join in on asymmetrical warfare campaigns and other quagmires in the making, we're going to see some real fuckitude for all of our favorite little japanese plastic waifus.
>>
Bluefin is fucking us over. The US retail price should not be linked to exchange rates, we should get a fair price.
>>
>>5641338
They probably pay a percentage of whatever MSRP is listed as by Bandai.
>>
Japan is shit at selling things, of course they fucked it all up. just because they noticed a handful of NEET weebs suddenly started foolishly buying too much they assumed they must have jobs and started charging more than video games.

Lost another war they did.
>>
>>5641338
Fuck off, peon.
>>
>>5640429
>Will this affect your purchases and pre-orders?
Yes. I went from ordering $10,000 worth of toys to ordering roughly $500 worth of toys. I just don't feel they are worth the higher price tags while coming with less stuff. It's not a money issue, it's a value issue. A barebones figma at $60-70 just doesn't do it for me. At $30-40 i'll buy them all day long.
>>
>>5640429
>>less accessories
>>stronger and stronger yen
lrn2economy dude
>>
>>5640429
>The golden age of the last few years is officially over.
Can we PLEASE stop calling the last few years a golden age? If anything it was a dark age. Retailers phased out high discounts, lined were killed off or made exclusive only, production was slowed down on several lines and we got less accessories.

The golden age in the past 5+ years was when the yen was strong and the exchange rate around 75-85. This made MSRP lower in Japan, gave us more releases per month and more accessories. The final shipped cost of this stuff was still around $30-40 despite people griping about the exchange rate.
>>
>>5642786
Honestly got to agree with this. I actually bought a lot more when the yen was strong. I rejoiced with everybody else when they yen weakened, but then they turned around and started barely releasing anything worth importing.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.