[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Toy storage thread? I know that leaving accessories and stuff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 14
File: 91qu7MHa+OL._SL1500_.jpg (230 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
91qu7MHa+OL._SL1500_.jpg
230 KB, 1500x1500
Toy storage thread?

I know that leaving accessories and stuff in their boxes will likely cause plasticizer to leak out, but what about putting them in acid free plastic bags and then into something like this?
>>
>>5586106
Call me old fashion, but I just leave them in a regular drawer
>>
>>5586113
Well, I want something to keep them not just loose, especially if I can keep all of a single toy's accessories together without getting them mixed up, which is how I found this. But then I figured that if storing a toy in a box causes plasticizer to leak, something like this would have a similar effect, but the bags should minimize that.
>>
>>5586118
why not use bread twist ties and then put them in the ole' drawer?

You're not going to live forever anon, no need to take such measures in keeping your collection in pristine condition
>>
>>5586106
I use jewelry bead containers and sorters.
>>
>>5586127
>You're not going to live forever anon
You don't know that!

Seriously, though, I much prefer the organization that comes with having specific compartments, especially if I can put modeling supplies in those big drawers at the bottom. Having an xacto knife rolling around the drawer with bags of accessories is just asking for trouble.

And the other part is more of an issue if you buy stuff that's already old. Hell, I've bought a couple shinkis that have started to yellow and get sticky and they're not even a decade old.
>>
>>5586106
>I know that leaving accessories and stuff in their boxes will likely cause plasticizer to leak out

No it fucking won't, who fed you that bullshit?
>>
>>5586160
Literal autist
>>
>>5586160

Anon, they're toys not museum artifacts of a forgotten civilization
>>
File: IMG_20160402_194857_640.jpg (249 KB, 1078x606) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160402_194857_640.jpg
249 KB, 1078x606
baggies motherfucker
>>
>>5586315
But anon, what about the plasticizer!
>>
>>5586324
joke's on you

my toys are already sticky and yellow from something else
>>
>>5586326
should of used the baggies on that
>>
>>5586106
>I know that leaving accessories and stuff in their boxes will likely cause plasticizer to leak out
You should try and know the difference between knowing, guessing, and bullshitting. You're falling into the latter two.
>>
>>5586106
I used to throw everything into a box.
but when i got so many accesories, i started use a little plastic box with drawers to clasify hands, heads, accesories, bases and bigger accesories

So, if im diging for something specifically, it is easier.
>>
>>5586106
Those double as cool background buildings for gundam kits and such.
>>
>>5586330
That's strange, I guess it's just total coincidence that almost every old, sealed toy I've bought has been sticky and yellow out of the package. Certainly couldn't be related to the fact that they were all sealed in their boxes for years while the toys that old that I've had displayed are just fine, no siree. Just coincidence.

Is this just denial, or does /toy/ have this many legitimately retarded people?
>>
>>5586357
>leaving toys sealed ruins them
>leaving toys unsealed ruins them
>>
>>5586358
>the toys that old that I've had displayed are just fine
So you're retarded AND you can't read? Tough luck, man. Hope things work out for you.
>>
>>5586358
Oh, and here is the official fucking GSC blog acknowledging the issue that if a toy is left sealed for too long, the toy will get sticky. That's as close to a scholarly source as exists.
http://mikatan.goodsmile.info/en/2013/06/20/dealing-with-stickiness-on-figures/
>>
File: _aAFGi6Z.jpg (283 KB, 1024x765) Image search: [Google]
_aAFGi6Z.jpg
283 KB, 1024x765
>>5586357
I think you just suck anon
>>
>>5586357
>I guess it's just total coincidence
Yes. When you have a sample pool in such a small number, it is nothing beyond that. You can;t look at 10 white people and conclude that all of humanity is white, you chucklefuck.
>>
>>5586357
>>5586384
Listen up. Whether something is sealed or loose the plastic is always in a state of deterioration. Most people do a piss poor job of minimizing UV damage and high humidity/heat. As a result plasticizers will leak faster and in a sealed box have nowhere to go but back down onto the figure. This is what causes the sticky layer. Make no mistake, a loose figure under these conditions is still deteriorating much faster than a sealed toy under ideal conditions.

A sealed toy kept under ideal conditions may develop a very thin sticky layer that is typically easy enough to remove. The plastic itself is still going to have a lot of life left in it because it was kept cold and dry. Most the shit you buy online is going to be stored in garages, storage units and warehouses with zero climate control. That's why they are so terrible. I've got stuff that was sealed for a long time but under my strict control that didn't discolor or develop extremely sticky layers.

That blog post on GSC isn't proving anything because Japan is hot and humid as shit. If those things weren't stored in stable temperatures the off gassing was going to be ridiculous.
>>
>>5586399
Cool. Now open them and check if they're sticky.

>>5586404
And you just plugging your ears and going 'I can't hear you! If I don't believe there's a problem, my toys will be fine!' isn't evidence either, you idiot. I have no fucking idea why people are pretending leaking plasticizer doesn't happen. Is it denial? If you think you pretend there isn't a problem, then your toys won't get affected? Do you know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to be useful and think that photo-degradation and plasticizer leaking are the same thing? Or are you just mentally handicapped?
Here's a source: http://ccanade.blogspot.com/2014/01/are-your-plastic-products.html
And another http://mikatan.goodsmile.info/en/2013/06/20/dealing-with-stickiness-on-figures/
And here's one more http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=295043.0
Here's one from /toy/! http://4chandata.org/toy/Figure-Deterioration--a577833
Another http://www.dollstuff.net/diary/200903291
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2722.0
I can keep going all day until your sample size is big enough for you to be satisfied :^)
>>
>>5586441
>under ideal conditions.
Literally the entire point of this thread was to ask what 'ideal conditions' are. Acid free bag? No light? Air tight?
>>
>>5586106
>something like this?
I have two of these exact boxes for accessories and faces, etc.
Just cut out a pic of the figure from the box and tape it to the inside of the clear plastic drawer.
>>
File: 100_0022.jpg (271 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
100_0022.jpg
271 KB, 1000x750
I made a post on my dumb blog about how I store my stuff https://toyghostblog.wordpress.com/2016/03/22/how-i-organise-figure-parts/
>>
>>5586448
Ideal conditions are minimal exposure to sunlight, fluorescent lighting or halogen lighting. You can get filters for the latter two to help but it's better to just use LED now that it's affordable. You should also try to keep a STABLE temperature, somewhere between 68-75 degrees. Get a device to measure humidity and run your A/C or heat as needed, use a dehumidifier to save on electric if necessary.

You can keep figures sealed for probably 5+ years under these conditions with no adverse affects unless the figure is made of cheap shitty plastic that is going to fall apart no matter what. If you're buying new figures you don't have to worry much but older figures SHOULD be opened to let all the gases out because you don't know how the prior owner took care of them.

Don't stress about keeping your toys sealed. If you really want to get anal about things then just open up the boxes every 2-3 years to let out any gas that may have built up.
>>
File: boy.jpg (129 KB, 875x669) Image search: [Google]
boy.jpg
129 KB, 875x669
>>5586384
> That's as close to a scholarly source as exists.
uhhh... tons of sources exist about plasticizers leaking and why they leak.

Ignore the biological aspect, but it does document the fact that plasticizers leak http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3660766
Here's another one
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26941413
Another one
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0268005X10000962
Heres one about plastic art
http://www.academia.edu/9376344/A_model_approach_for_finding_cleaning_solutions_for_plasticized_poly_vinyl_chloride_surfaces_of_collections_objects

Here's a GREAT read that everyone here should read
http://broker-it.axa-art.info/fileadmin/Cluster/IT/PRODUKTE/Additional_Material/Plastic_Art.pdf
It's not long, talks about art, and will explain the history of plastics and give you a basic understanding on the chemistry.
This was written by curators and for museums.
>>
>>>5586446 Here's one from /toy/! http://4chandata.org/toy/Figure-Deterioration--a577833
neat
most of those posts are mine
>>
>>5586399
i bought a lot of carded tmnt figures on ebay a few years back & opened them all, i think it was 5 figures total, not one of them was sticky
>>
>plasticizers leaking all over the place!
>don't leave anything in boxes!
I love the absolutist mindset that you people have. Not every toy has the same amount of plasticizers in it and thus not all will leak. In fact, taking into consideration the sheer volume of toys released in the past and presently, a near inconsequential amount will.

You people are delusional and, through sheer willpower of ignorance, have latched onto a barely applicable side effect as a great bane of toy existence without even understanding it. The only things you guys have on your side is unrelenting autism that will allow you to keep harping about it nonstop for years to come.
>>
Put your toys in the fridge and NEVER take them out
>>
Pretty annoying to see this thread pop up every few months.
I have sealed toys that are older than me and they look perfectly fine, aside from minor packaging damage. 26 years of 60-75 degrees in the winter, 70-85 degrees in the summer, excluding a few years where my air conditioning was on the fritz. Largely kept inside of a walk in closet, stored in cardboard boxes until I recently switched over to plastic storage bins. Shit, wouldn't be surprised if they outlasted me.

>>5586465
Man, I seem to go through light bulbs like a fat guy at a buffet, might give LED's a whirl to see if they last longer.
>>
>>5586645
>I love the absolutist mindset that you people have. Not every toy has the same amount of plasticizers in it and thus not all will leak.
If you had bothered to have read any of the links, you'd know that they will always leak out eventually. Of course, it might take a lifetime for some and others just 1-5 years. You'll never know unless that specific plastic was tested with that specific color and other additives, and also stored in the same conditions.

>sheer willpower of ignorance,
how ironic.
Stay willfully ignorant
>>
>>5586610
My donnie was given to me as a prize for a tmnt contest which came from the vault of kevin eastman

So no, im not opening it anytime soon, i prefer this rare instance to keep a fig in its boxed format due to it's background story
>>
>>5586831
I've always wanted a mr freeze and a batman diorama of batman being iced

sadly science has proven that ice melts.
>>
>>5586908
What figure is that?
>>
File: HD05_8166_txt_USEng.jpg (140 KB, 879x250) Image search: [Google]
HD05_8166_txt_USEng.jpg
140 KB, 879x250
>find a Uline catalog
>sexually aroused at the thought of storage solutions
Steel cabinets, easily labelled tubs of different sizes, all hooked into the back in a system that can interchange and match items as needed. No more need for using old shoe and shirt boxes from the 90s, no more cardboard lying around the apartment. Oh God, fuck cars, fuck women, THIS is what I want.
>>
>>5587198
>being aroused by compartments

actual autism
>>
File: DSCF3223.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
DSCF3223.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
If they're in a box, I usually just leave them in the box. If they're in blister packs or whatever. I put them in one of these
>>
>>5586232
>who fed you that bullshit?

/toy/
>>
>>5586869
>Man, I seem to go through light bulbs like a fat guy at a buffet, might give LED's a whirl to see if they last longer.
LED will last a lot longer in general. In particular they can be turned off and on rapidly with no negative affect on lifespan. It's the off/on cycles that kill traditional incandescent along with any power surges or power drains.
>>
File: stanley-organizer.jpg (13 KB, 500x345) Image search: [Google]
stanley-organizer.jpg
13 KB, 500x345
I use a Stanley organizer, works for me.
>>
File: tackle box.jpg (175 KB, 1201x1500) Image search: [Google]
tackle box.jpg
175 KB, 1201x1500
>>
>>5586106
>have more than 15 tackleboxes to store stuff
>some of them are for little stuff that even belonged to toys that are not with me anymore, others with weapons and effect parts
>opening the one with the accesories of my jap shit
>it always welcomes me with a plastic stench that hits like a brick
i think i need to either re-organize these things or i have to open it more often.
in any case my life span is probably reducted everytime i do that
>>
>>5586234
>>5586310
I guess you can't expect any attempt at keeping organized to get positive responses from people who can't even manage to punctuate their sentences.
>>
File: donatello neca.jpg (84 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
donatello neca.jpg
84 KB, 1280x720
>>5587174
NECA 1/4 Don
>>
>>5590131
here's your reply
>>
File: 1435779042204.gif (2 MB, 194x293) Image search: [Google]
1435779042204.gif
2 MB, 194x293
>>5590123
>that stench
The best part about opening factory sealed statueshit.
>>
>>5590632
>>5590123
That's the smell of plasticizers leaking and why you're supposed to air out your boxes every couple of months.

Or it could just be the lubes from the manufacturing process, but do you want to risk it?
Once those plasticizers form on the plastic, especially plastics that don't react well to plasticizers, you're going to get discoloration, scabbies, and wetness.
>>
File: hamjjrkafnkzoavbxmr2.jpg (489 KB, 1538x865) Image search: [Google]
hamjjrkafnkzoavbxmr2.jpg
489 KB, 1538x865
Perhaps.
>>
What could I use if I want to add levels to a box?
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.