[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi guys I just dug up my old toys and I noticed there was this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: 20160319_220325_resized.jpg (474 KB, 2080x1170) Image search: [Google]
20160319_220325_resized.jpg
474 KB, 2080x1170
Hi guys I just dug up my old toys and I noticed there was this oily/sticky substance on some of them

I have been storing these toys together in one of those big plastic boxes and said boxes were inside the closet, away from sunlight.

Is this the plastic deteriorating?
>>
It's the plasticiser leaking out. It happens when toys are stored in humid environments.

So yes, in a way, it is deteriorating your toys
>>
Kinda. The plasticizers in the plastics settle slowly over time and vaporizes. If sealed, they form a layer on the toy itself instead. Keeping them away from sunlight, heat and humidity only slows down the process but doesn't prevent it.

Normally it doesn't really affect the toy much. Just wash it up with dishwashing liquid.
>>
>>5560852
>>5560859
Thanks for the info guys, last couple of questions though.

Does this thing happen to toys sealed in blister packs?

And how come this happened only to my Warcraft figures and not to my Marvel Legends (which are more than 5 years older compared to said Warcraft toys).
>>
What matters most in storage is the heat.
It can be in a vault, never seeing light or air, but if that vault is 100°, the plastic is going to quickly decompose.
Humidity is only a sign of that heat.

>>>5560859 Normally it doesn't really affect the toy much.
Actually, it does, since it's going to cause pitting, scaling, and discoloration of the plastic. Also, it if touches other plastic types, it can cause that plastic to also show signs of rot.

>>>5561056 Does this thing happen to toys sealed in blister packs?
Sorta. Thinner plastics will decompose faster, so the packaging can have an affect on the toy inside. So if the blister is seeping plasticizers, it can lay ontop of the toy and cause damage.
As for why it affected your Warcraft figures and not MLs, it's just how the plastics are. It really doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the plastic, since plastics are formulated in various ways and not everything is fully tested to know how the chemicals will react with one another.
Basically, how the plastics age is random. Only big companies really have a chemist to make sure their plastics hold up, but any unknown (like a previously unused pigment) can throw a wrench into it.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.