[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So i got this fucker yesterday(the original, not the four horseman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 470x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 470x640
So i got this fucker yesterday(the original, not the four horseman one), and he has some weird black spots growing on his foot. Is that normal? Should i be worried, or is it mearly cosmetic? Also, general aliens toy thread, i guess.
>>
>>5550376
You dont understand. I got him from a broken package for less then 20$. A good deal, but still a fucked up package, but i dont think he was ever played with.
>>
>>5550384
mold is still mold you fuckin moron

so clean it up
>>
>>5550416
Howd it get mold on his foot? It almost looks like its underneath the plastic. Also, im scared of putting plastic inside anytype of soapy material, for fear that it would degrade it somehow.
>>
File: Tommy-Lee-Jones.jpg (763 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
Tommy-Lee-Jones.jpg
763 KB, 1280x850
>>5550422
so stick it in your mouth and suck the mold off, you either clean it with soap or throw it away.
>>
>>5550632
Well, throwing it aways not an option. Will it spread, or just stay there?
>>
>>5550665
CLEAN YOUR FUCKING TOY
>>
>>5550678
BUT THE SOAP MIGHT FUCK IT UP REEEEEE
>>
>>5550359

OP, what you have on your figure is something called "Plastic Cancer." A little known & understood problem, mostly seen in older toys from the 80's on up. It's most often seen on softer plastic and vinyl toys. It is unknown of the exact cause but it is believed to be either leaking plasticizer or mold & bacteria rot. Both are unremovable. In some figures you can almost see though the plastic, with others the brown spots are extremely dark and expand into a lighter brown circle.

There is no known cure, methods for preventing its spread range from rubbing it with acetone, bleach, and boiling infected toys in OxiClean. There is a lot of debate about this as well as some collectors believe that moisture causes the cancer so boiling a figure will make it spread. However, the boiling method is the most popular and the majority of collectors swear by it. The only agreed upon method seems to be simply to quarantine the infected toy by storing them in plastic bags away from other figures. Many collectors also put moisture absorbers in the bags, such as silicone packs.

There have been reports of the cancer being lightened by sun-fading, rubbing the spots with acetone, and using Remove-Zit on yellow and white ponies. Another method that is largely untested is to paint over the cancer, to simply hide it. This won't prevent its spread, but can potentially make the figure look better.

I've seen it myself on vintage MLP figures and G1 Monster Pretenders. Sad fact is that the cheaper plastics used in many of today's toys are causing Plastic Cancer to appear faster on those toys as well.
>>
>>5550688
It can spread? Do you have sources to back this up? I mean, im content just ignoring it on him.
>>
>>5550691

>It can spread? Do you have sources to back this up?

Most of what I've read has come from vintage MLP collector forums and some collector videos on Youtube. There's very little solid info on Plastic Cancer as the problem affects a niche audience, (Vintage toy collectors) and there's very little real scientific incentive to study why old toys are getting dark spots. So most of the Plastic Cancer causes & cures you read online is mostly hearsay.

Personally, I would at least thoroughly wash your guy in warm soapy water and let him dry in the sun. It won't get rid of the spots, but it will slow the process down. More importantly, it will get rid of all the dirt & grime hidden in unnoticeable cracks & crevices.
>>
>>5550359
>>5550384
>>5550422
>>5550665
>>5550680
>>5550691
You are the biggest retard I've ever seen on 4chan. The autism is real.
>>
Holy shit OP just clean it. Quit being such an autist.
>>
>>5550359
>>5550680
>>5550688
>>5550691

....I'm morbidly curious to see where this goes.
>>
File: file.png (898 KB, 1024x564) Image search: [Google]
file.png
898 KB, 1024x564
Hey OP they actually made new versions of Power Lords a few years ago. I dunno why anyone would want the older ones. Especially with the plastic aids.
>>
>>5550815
>why anyone would want the older ones
Because the new ones are tiny and they never finished the line. At 4HMs prices you may as well buy the vintage versions.
>>
>>5550815
Based Wayne Barlowe. He seems to get some decent work in movies lately, but I'd love it if Expedition got a faithful adaptation and maybe a line of figures.

inb4 anyone mentions Alien Planet.
>>
>>5550750
>>5550815
Its not retarded to be nervous about it, you fucking cucks. Also, it doesn't have plastic aids, hes not charlie sheen.
>>
>>5551625
It's fairly retarded, and yes it does have plastic AIDS, and it will eventually degrade into nothing.
>>
>>5556702
Ill crush your skull into nothingnes, fuckface. Its not fucking plastic aids, and it wont degrade you cumstain little bitch.
>>
>>5556709
Oh look, Greg's back.
>>
>>5550359
The fuck, this thing has better articulation than the 4H remake.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.