[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
These things represent probably the most maligned development
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 11
File: Marvel 12 inch Titan 6-pack.jpg (785 KB, 1600x1172) Image search: [Google]
Marvel 12 inch Titan 6-pack.jpg
785 KB, 1600x1172
These things represent probably the most maligned development in retail toys to a lot of people, next to Funko Pops and ReAction. They're a severe downgrade from the $10 cheap figures of 10 years ago; like Toy Biz's rotocast figures, which still had nice sculpts and articulation. Their sculpts and even their posture is tailor made to be cheap and mass produced, and fit compactly on store shelves to be sold for cheap. They're made to be crammed in narrow boxes that can flood a peg, and their sculpts are obviously hindered by that.

That said, having young kids in the family now makes me appreciate them a lot more. While I wish their were better alternatives out there, $10 today sin't $10 10 years ago. So as far as cheap toys you can slip in any quick stop at a superstore they get the job done. And to my sister, who doesn't care about articulation or paint or anything like that in kid's toys, a giant $10 for a 12'' lump of plastic just looks like a better deal than a 6 inch figure for $10-20. And the Titan Hero Hulkbuster(not the electronic one, the hollow one that can fit figures inside) is actually really cool as far as gimmicks go.
>>
I saw the AOU Target 5 packs marked down to $20 each today. Was very tempted to buy and just throw in my closet until I get bored enough to practice painting on them.
>>
what you should realize is that you realize kids dont care about 100% accuracy and size actually makes a big difference in their preference so its kind of no surprise hasbro would rather sell a set of shitty big figures for the price of one 12 inch super articulated figure with 20 accessories

its a little sad but you just have to sit in a toy aisle and hear the parent sigh when they see tiny accessories they think will get lost or fiddly joints they think their kid will break
>>
>>5546244
My nephew has all 6 figures from your picture and many more. He's not an autistic little crybaby like 100% of /toy/ so he doesn't care about how shitty they are. He just enjoys making hulk smash.
And that's just it. These companies are making toys for children to enjoy playing wit they aren't worried about what manchildren think about articulation and all that.
>>
I don't really see the problem with these

They're meant for bashing and abusing.
>>
The ToyBiz stuff was better. It had knees and elbows.

Also, it's sad that $10 is not the same anywhere but wages.
>>
Disgusting garbage. Even as a 9 year old I knew better than the idiot kids these days. Yeah, I'm saying they are stupider now than before and is because of them that toys are going down the shitter.

Fuck kids
>>
>>5547101
>Even as a 9 year old I knew better than the idiot kids these days.
Easy there, Grampa. Don't let your geriatric rage at the whippersnappers twist your suspenders.
>>
>>5546244
I don't know how can you defend this horrendous monstrosities of """"toys""""".

Look at what it is possible in 1/18 with the Pursuit of Cobra wave of G.I. Joe and then look at this shit. It is mindblowing that they were made by the same company.

THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE PAINTED DETAILS AT THE BACK FOR FUCKS SAKE.
>>
File: LOL Lupin 2.jpg (15 KB, 479x319) Image search: [Google]
LOL Lupin 2.jpg
15 KB, 479x319
>>5547101
>>5547148

I have no stake in these figures one way or the other. But I cant help but take delight in your impotent rage.

No, no I'm really quite serious. I am deriving genuine joy out of seeing you get so fanny-agonized over toys meant for an age group that you outgrew YEARS ago, but clearly is still more mature than you.

Oh God PLEASE get upset some more
>>
>>5547101
Get laid faggot.
>>
>>5547101
K
>>
I would've hated to get these as a kid. There's so little play value, unless all you want to do is bash them together like a spaz.
>>
it's even funnier seeing people bitch about these toys when my dad had a like 2 foot tall, 5 poa darth vader toy he loved so much he held onto so I could play with it.
I don't know where people are getting this weird idea that kids won't play with big chunks of colorful plastic that looks like their favorite characters.
>>
File: raph-giantsize-front.jpg (49 KB, 570x612) Image search: [Google]
raph-giantsize-front.jpg
49 KB, 570x612
>>5546244
>>
>>5548626

Hero figure:
>5poa
>Unnatural, straight, upright arms and legs
>Hard, brittle plastic
>Lifeless expressions
>No accessories
>11" tall

Turtle figure:
>5poa
>Natural, crouched, ass kicking pose
>Softer, rubbery plastic
>Weird but charming expression
>Ass kicking weapon accessories
>13" tall

But yeah, tell me how they're the same.
>>
>>5548686
they're meant for children, not collectors
>>
>>5547148
Theyre for children
>>
>>5548690
Then they shouldn't be made out of shitty material that breaks the moment they try to smack two of them into each other.
>>
>>5548702
did you, as an adult, personally seek out to destroy them? because children are a lot weaker. oh right, everything has to cateer to your adult sensibilities...
>>
>>5548702
I was pretty rough with my shitty ass figures as a kid and I still have them in near perfect condition today.
Threw them off my balcony and shit
>>
>>5548558
You were an unimaginative sad little kid that grew into an insufferable annoying crybaby adult.
>>
>>5548702
I actually have a video of my 2 year old nephew ramming a Hulk and Iron Man figure together, and they have yet to even get a paint chip.
>>
Not gonna lie, I kinda want this one
>>
>>5547104
IT'S TOO LATE FOR THAT, THEY'VE TWISTED ALL AROUND MY BALLS AND I'LL NEVER GET UNMAD.
>>
>>5548690

How is that relevant in a conversation about childrens toys? Fuck, you might as well have said "you can touch them!!".
>>
Kids that buy this are fucking idiots and will grow to be cucks.
>>
>>5549909
funny enough the first few toys of this line were some of the last toys my brother ever got when he was 9 or 10 years old. Now he's 14 and he gets his dick blown by some girl in his school who left her old bf for him..
>>
>>5549950
>the only objective scoring method for anything is blow jobs
>>
>>5549969
well yeah I mean if he was fucking women rawdog at 14 that just means he was raised wrong, but bjs are harmless kids stuff.
>>
>>5546244
my real main issue with these is how terrible the default pose is on these things, when similar(if smaller) designs from 10-20 years ago looked a lot better, only one in that pick that doesn't look completely awful is Hulk and that's cause he has something of an actual default pose instead of looking like some sort of frozen corpse
>>
>>5549909
They'll grow to be cucks. You are already a cuck. Good job faggot.
>>
>>5546244
>do the monkey with me
>>
I'm a bit of an outsider, but I find it weird how Dollar Store quality stuff if the norm now. Why is this? When did it start to make this shift? Is it cause kids like ipads and video games more than toys now?
>>
>>5550970
It's a mix of the economy, and the underperformance of more intricate movie toylines in the late 00s. The Iron Man 2 toyline is the most notable example - those things were extremely intricate, but ultimately shelfwarmed for years. This led Hasbro to conclude that kids (the primary buyers of these things, not us) don't really care about articulation, so they experimented with 5POA stuff in the following years due to it being much cheaper to make (so if the toys did shelfwarm, there wouldn't be nearly as much of a loss). The 5POA stuff did just as well as the complex figures (if not a bit better), so Hasbro saw no reason not to continue with it.
>>
File: amer1.jpg (49 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
amer1.jpg
49 KB, 500x500
>>5550992
>>5550992
Actually, the IM2 line sold extremely well.

It's Captain America and the Thor lines that made Hasbro question articulation and such. These two lines actually improved on the IM2 line, with higher QC and various other fixes, even with having a higher budget
Ultimately, it was the Avengers line that made Hasbro wobble on 1:18 support, since the movie did so well and the toys didn't.
>>
>>5551062
It didn't help that they had a policy to include a silly blaster with all their single-packed 4" figures.
>>
>>5551062
>Ultimately, it was the Avengers line that made Hasbro wobble on 1:18 support, since the movie did so well and the toys didn't.
Shockingly, no one wanted to buy new toys of everyone else they bought in the IM2, Cap and Thor toylines.
>>
>>5551123
Now now, we can't do actual analysis here! We're all supposed to sing Kids Don't Like Toys (or Dinosaurs or Pizza or Summertime or...) Anymore in chorus.
>>
I'm surprised of the lack of Greg here
>>
File: wolviewall.jpg (199 KB, 728x827) Image search: [Google]
wolviewall.jpg
199 KB, 728x827
>>5551071
I'm not sure how those gimmick craps matter, except to Hasbro for wasting more money on that (which kids do love).

>>5551123
I'm sure there's more than a few people who are willing to pay up to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-rebuy Iron Man, Captain america, or Thor.
I think the problem lay in them taking away articulation from their figures that turned people off. I ALMOST bought Ultimate Thor from the line, but said "fuck it" when i saw that they took away articulation. I think i did buy Black Widow and Fury, since they did have good articulation. I forget if it was from the movie line though.
>>
>>5551154
>I'm sure there's more than a few people who are willing to pay up to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-rebuy Iron Man, Captain america, or Thor.
But are parents when they just bought those figured for their kids a year or two ago?
>>
File: caps0494.jpg (83 KB, 950x346) Image search: [Google]
caps0494.jpg
83 KB, 950x346
>>5551177
given the fact that Iron Man is in practically every wave of every Marvel toyline... I'm going to say, "yes"
Cap is also almost as frequent too.
>>
File: Chris_Evans_As_Captain_America.jpg (60 KB, 480x421) Image search: [Google]
Chris_Evans_As_Captain_America.jpg
60 KB, 480x421
>>5551205
Man, that movie design has really grown on me.
>>
>>5551373
I'd kill for Hasbro to redo it.

The first release they did was absolute ass.
>>
>>5551397
I'm just getting Mezco's.
>>
>>5546244
Still better than Funko Poop.
>>
>>5551139
He went to the loony bin after punching his mum when she found out about all this shit he posted about himself on the internet.

Lets hope he stays there.
>>
>>5551154
That display really snikts my bubs.
>>
>>5551154
Hm, I still need a Wolverine.
>>
>>5551499
He fucked
>>
File: 18l557iowip47jpg.jpg (63 KB, 800x428) Image search: [Google]
18l557iowip47jpg.jpg
63 KB, 800x428
>>5546244
They're more cheaply made, but overall not much worse in terms of articulation and generic sculpt than the stuff I had as a kid. The original Kenner SW figures were pretty comparable, just smaller. Mego figures had more articulation, but didn't hold up well to a lot of play. I remember my Captain Kirk exploded one time when I put him in the tub because the elastic cord that held his torso and legs together practically disintegrated. Fortunately my dad was able to fix it.

In terms of durability these things still don't hold a candle to what they made back in the 70s and 80s, but the 5PoA thing just makes sense in terms inexpensive toys meant to be played with, not collected. And, really, the generic pose is probably preferable for most kids in terms of play. I remember the Fisher Price Action People that had the one arm bent inwards. It made it fit on steering wheels and all, but it was a shitty thing for playing. You couldn't do much with that arm other than make the characters smack themselves in the head. And it made them all look like stroke victims. They did that with some of the SW prequel figures, too. They'd have five or so points of articulation, but they were in such a specific pose that there was almost no point to articulating them. Fine for displaying, but shit for kids to play with.

>>5548616
My brother got that one for Christmas and it kicked ass. That year I got the big Boba Fett that actually had a lot of articulation. It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen as a kid. A large figure that had multiple points and directions of articulation at that time... it was like staring into the eyes of God.
>>
>>5546244
The only 2 Titan Heroes i own are the Hulkbuster you mentioned, and Black Widow. What i'd like to do is get Icons Iron Man, put that in Hulkbuster, detail that up a bit, and put BW riding in some ridiculous pink Barbie car. DC/Mattel's offerings in this area are a bit better (elbows!).
>>
>>5546542
You sound like my sister.
>>
>>5550992
the only IM2 figures that shelf-warmed here were those awful recolors.
>>
>>5554583
Your sister must be a rationally thinking person.
>>
>>5550040
This. I don't mind the idea of cheaply made 12" toys like these, I just wish that the default pose across the line didn't look so stiff and awkward like they do.
>>
>>5553467
>DC/Mattel's offerings in this area are a bit better (elbows!).
Sad but true, somehow the DC/Mattel equivalent of these are actually better made.
>>
>>5553467
> DC/Mattel's offerings in this area are a bit better (elbows!).
And knees and legs and shoulders.
>>
people need to remember that kids do like cool stuff. they like figures they can mess with and pose. it's just not necessary like it is for collectors, they'll still consider toys cool if they're big or of a character they like. but it's not like they don't notice detail or articulation.
>>
>>5557477
I think you're forgetting the fact that Hasbro is producing these for kids who are poorfags.
They're starting to gain inroads into China with this crap too
>>
>>5551062
The Marvel Universe line peaked with Iron Man 2. Those figures were great. Thor and Captain America had some good figures, but on the whole they weren't as good. Most everything was shit after that and I stopped collecting them.

The smaller Marvel Legends line looks good, but prices have gone up and I'm not using the hasbro coupon anymore so I doubt I'm going to get them.
>>
File: deaths head.jpg (229 KB, 400x623) Image search: [Google]
deaths head.jpg
229 KB, 400x623
>>5558140
>calling the IM2 line MU

And no, it didn't peak at that time. It peaked afterward.
>>
>>5558801
>>calling the IM2 line MU
I'm guessing you forgot it had a Comic Series subline, which was fantastic.
>>
>>5557890
You are mistaken about the Chinese market. They have a lot of rich kids now. As for poor kids, they go for the cheap bootleg stuff. Due to inflation, Hasbro's official shampoo bottles are 2 to 3 times the USD prices
>>
>>5558833

I'm working in Vietnam atm and really, these shit versions are for the middle class aka 'rich' here. The fucking fat cat Jack Ma kind of richfags are just going to bring their kids to the usa or uk and buy them the expensive shit at Hamleys or what qas FAO. These 5 poa literally cost about a week of poorfag meals in southeast asia so they're for the prestigious level one up from bootlegs.

Anyway I previously bought Spidey for my 3 year old niece and she loves it. The thing is sturdy as fuck.
>>
File: deadpool vs deathhead.jpg (411 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
deadpool vs deathhead.jpg
411 KB, 1600x1600
>>5558806
zuh?

>>5558871
how interesting and sad
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.