[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there even a point to keeping the boxes /toy/? I've held
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9
File: box2.jpg (359 KB, 1500x1084) Image search: [Google]
box2.jpg
359 KB, 1500x1084
Is there even a point to keeping the boxes /toy/? I've held onto practically every one of em over the years, and they've really been sitting there taking up space.

I guess what i'm asking is would it be that much of an issue if I were to chuck some of em?
>>
Go ahead and throw away your boxes OP. And while you're at it, throw away the rest of your shit taste figma.
>>
As long as you have a neat place to put the accessories and are okay with the fact that should you ever need to sell these, you'd be getting much less than if you kept them, yes.
>>
Keeping them so you can keep extra parts separate works. If you ever get want to get rid of them packaging helps bring the price up. I used to keep my figure backs because in the '80s they used to give info on the character. I miss that sometimes.
>>
>>5517641
This. Boxes have a main use as purchase value boosters and accessory storage, and that's about it. If I were to keep boxes it'd only be for figures I'd have doubts about wanting to keep for years.
>>
If you don't like having the boxes, why do you have them? You seem like someone who is doing something just because others tell you to do it, not through your own initiative. Grow a spine and make a decision on your own.
>>
Boxes can easily double your resell value, anything that doesn't require you to break the box to open (clamshells) should be kept. Also, they make storage much simpler.
>>
Resale value. Period.

It also offers better protection when storing figures and moving. If you have the space there is no reason not to keep them because you never know when you might have to sell them in some medical/financial emergency. Do you really want to lose out on all the extra money for no reason?
>>
I personally like to keep boxes for accessory storage and to know I still have a "complete item" - plus some of 'em look cool. They're also super useful if you ever have to move or anything.
>>
Nobody else thinks some boxes just look cool? Gunpla has some neat box art.
>>
Keeping boxes is basically for poorfags who need to resell their stuff in order to buy other toys.
>>
File: 1445118709163.jpg (41 KB, 699x637) Image search: [Google]
1445118709163.jpg
41 KB, 699x637
>>
File: oldroom.png (625 KB, 1139x330) Image search: [Google]
oldroom.png
625 KB, 1139x330
I used to keep my boxes on top of my cupboard like this, it made for a nice display. Then I moved, downsized my collection and and ended up throwing all the remaining boxes out.
>>
Personally I keep the boxes. My collection is pretty small though and the figures are rare. So throwing away the boxes would be painful, as they feel as rare as the figures themselves and are part of the whole experience; some of them look really nice.

Besides that I keep them for the same reason other Anon's mentioned: reselling, moving and parts storage.
>>
File: 4fa.jpg (80 KB, 956x539) Image search: [Google]
4fa.jpg
80 KB, 956x539
Same as other's here BUT with an additional reason.

I plan to have display cupboards when I finally get a house of my own where I WON'T have to move around at all, once I do to save space because of the cabinets I'll have I'll toss the boxes out and keep the gear in sandwich bags.

As it stands currently only a select few of my figures remain out of their boxes, and an even fewer still I'd be keeping boxes for, mostly those with open flaps like the neca ultimate edition boxes or certain boxsets.

>>5517972
They sure do, but with over 50 models built you just run out of space so I only keep the tops, cut flat and stored in a mg full armor unicorn box until I can make a gunpla wall

Yes, I'm a snapfag BUT I can paint, but only a few get paint (and by paint only 2 fully done the rest top coat with accents such as scopes painted)
>>
>>5518065
glad i saw this post

i got into gunpla over the last year and was hording the boxes but hadda knock it off cause it was getting ridiculous. i cut them all so it was just the tops, in order to make a wall of them. happy to see im not the only one who has done this.
>>
>>5518116
I got the idea from someone else actually, with my variation from their's being I keep the sides of the box rather than just the front.

That said with the amount I have it'll be a gunpla shrine and not just a wall
>>
One thing I have done as well a couple of friends is rotate what figures are on display. I keep my boxes to store them in as I rotate.
>>
>>5517631
Toy collectors expect the original packaging if they ever buy used import toys. If you ever want to resell any of your figure, then you should keep the boxes. Otherwise you will make less money and find selling more difficult.
>>
I hold on to mine but I am a borderline hoarder. If you're not gonna resell em and don't have any particular attachment to the boxes, then they're just hunks of cardboard taking up space you could be using for more toys. Chuck em.
>>
I used to keep ALL the boxes. Then I got fed up and destroyed about 90% of them. Now I only keep the boxes of the truly expensive AND rare items. The rest go to the recycling bin.
>>
Some of these figures I seriously do not intend on selling ever, but I like the boxes as nice decoration.
>>
I keep them. I have detolf shelves raised on another shelf. That's where I keep most of my boxes. Can't see them keeps accessories safe and in case if I want to resell/trade you do get a few more $ keeps shit looking crisp!
>>
>>5517631
I keep a few, mostly the recent ones and throw away the old ones.
>>
>>5517631
You can sell the empty boxes in Ebay.
>>
File: Toy-Collection-Self-Storage.jpg (424 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Toy-Collection-Self-Storage.jpg
424 KB, 1600x900
>>5518057
>they feel as rare as the figures themselves and are part of the whole experience
What? that's fucking du-
>I keep them for the same reason other Anon's mentioned: reselling
Fucking poorfags who don't enjoy their toys as toys.
>>
>>5519240
keeping the boxes is not the same as keeping them in boxes
>>
>>5519240
...How is "poorfag" even applicable as an insult?
>>
>>5519248
it is when it's taking up so much space for "muh value"
>>5519276
I don't know about you, but a toy's value isn't something i buy them for.
Only reason i don't keep a toy is because i think it's shit.
I also don't understand why people buy toys based on hype. /toy/ seems ot be hugely into hyped shit and then getting rid of it just to buy the next piece of hyped shit. selling them to do that screams poorfag.
>>
>>5519395
What does "taking up space" have to do with enjoying your toys?! Nonsense
>>
File: flavor of the month #23523523.jpg (19 KB, 238x256) Image search: [Google]
flavor of the month #23523523.jpg
19 KB, 238x256
>>5519403
>liking something because of it's value
It's like buying hyped shit and flavors of the month.
>>
>>5519419
You're not making any sense. I play with my toys, not with my boxes. They're also nice to display in the same way people display their manga collections.
>>
>>5519453
Do you only take each post as stand alone? Or do you really have a really shit memory?
>they feel as rare as the figures themselves and are part of the whole experience
>liking something because of its value
It's like falling for this shit
>>
>>5519467
I'm not every single person that replies to you. You seemed to be equating keeping boxes with 'not enjoying your toys'. I called you out on that
>>
>>5517631
If ever you want to move or sell the toys they may come in handy.
Personally though I just like keeping them for the sake of keeping them. I also love that smell each time I reopen them.
>>
File: cherrypicking.png (1 MB, 1221x700) Image search: [Google]
cherrypicking.png
1 MB, 1221x700
>>5519240
... and moving, and parts storage.
>>
>>5517631

Depending on rare they are, you may get a few bucks off people like this guy >>5519395 looking for old boxes for their figs.

I dunno, might be worth checking out before you toss em.
>>
File: NOTSOFASTJERKWAD.jpg (37 KB, 720x482) Image search: [Google]
NOTSOFASTJERKWAD.jpg
37 KB, 720x482
>TFW get rid of boxes because I only plan on reselling shit when Im fucking dead
>>
>>5519486
If you're not him, then my post isn't directed to you you selfcentered chit and your need to be the center of attention.

He's pretty specific about why he is hoarding the boxes and I'm specifically replying to him.

scram, snowflake.
>>
>>5517631
Do you still have the figures that came in those boxes?
>>
I have two type of boxes at home: doll (BJD) ones and figure ones.

The BJD ones I always keep, because together with the certificate they are proof that you own a legit doll and nowadays there are a lot of recasts and such floating around.
It also kinda belongs to the full package to me.

With the rest I'm not that picky.
Only ones I keep are the ones where I'm not sure if I will keep the figure/if it's a really neat box and probably the only way to safely move to a different home with the toy (like ThreeA Rex).

So anon, just ask yourself: why did you keep the boxes for so long?
In case you don't plan to sell your stuff in the near future, or don't care how much money you might get back then, just toss them in the bin.
If you have the space and they don't bother you/are out of view anyway don't worry.
Just let them stay there and when it gets too much kick 'em out.
>>
>>5519240
>>5519808
I'm the anon you originally replied to. I'm a graphic designer, so I'm actually quite interested in package design and typography, especially stuff from foreign countries. This is why I keep them and why they're
>part of the whole experience

Like I said my collection is quite small, but it's of stuff I really like and don't intend on selling (mostly Pokemon). So space for figures and boxes is not an issue for me. My figures also happen to be rare (which is also not the reason I bought them), so IF I ever needed to sell them I'd have been a moron for chucking away their boxes.
>>
>>5519276
Because you're recycling the same dollar instead of adding dollars.
>>
>>5520151
Do you really not understand what reselling means?
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.