[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Organizing Toy Accessories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 11
File: detolfs.jpg (111 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
detolfs.jpg
111 KB, 600x800
I find that a lot of times I'll feel too lazy to play around with my toys because I get bothered with opening all of the boxes, and opening up the treys, and then closing them all afterwords. The clutter becomes huge when I try and repose 3-4 different figures at once and I have boxes and treys all over.

Does anyone do anything else with all of their accessories? Like, put them in some kind of bin or an organized drawer system? I was thinking of getting something that had little compartments where I could put in one figures accessories.
Any thoughts?
>>
File: organizer.jpg (230 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
organizer.jpg
230 KB, 1500x1500
>>5486581
I have two of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Akro-Mils-10144-20-Inch-16-Inch-Hardware/dp/B003P2UOCO/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&qid=1455426032&sr=8-44&keywords=storage+box

I keep accessories in storage and throw out the boxes.
>>
>>5486589
>throw out the boxes
B-but what do you do when you want to resell? I tend to sell off about a third of the figures I buy, as just a part of the process.
But yeah, that looks exactly what i'm looking for, thanks.
>>
>>5486678
I don't resell, and I have waaaayy too many figures to keep boxes. I suppose you could fold the boxes, but your still left with the clamshells.
>>
>>5486581

Mini ziplock bags and a small parts organizer like >>5486589

I also have a tool box I just put big parts in.
>>
>>5486589
I've been wary on these, a lot of reviews say that they're cheaply made and prone to breaking.
>>
I keep all of mine in a standard 3-drawer little storage thing I got from target. Fits in a little cube-storage shelf thing. In each drawer I've got them in separate little plastic jewelry baggies separated by type of toy. Basically just neatly out of the way until I need them.

I'd like to do something better at least with weapons, but there's nothing I can think of.
>>
>>5486842
if those baggies aren't acid-free, they can actually damage the paint and plastic.

it takes a while for them to do so (few years), but i'd invest a little more money into getting acid-free ones.
>>
File: parts.jpg (109 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
parts.jpg
109 KB, 800x600
You can get these at home depot for around $4
>>
>>5486813
you're supposed to put tiny pieces of plastic in it, not sitting on it. I don't see how could it break if used properly.
>>
File: 61MyL2pRHuL._SL1000_.jpg (121 KB, 806x1000) Image search: [Google]
61MyL2pRHuL._SL1000_.jpg
121 KB, 806x1000
>>5486581
I store my spare hands, swords, guns and other smaller accessories in a set of acrylic drawers on my shelf, I have an LED push light right above it so I can see what I'm looking for. I keep larger accessories like spears and effects pieces in a large tupperware container, it's not pretty but it works. Things like faceplates I just keep in the original boxes since I don't swap them out often unless I'm taking photos, I'm worried about scuffing the faces or eyes if I store them like my other accessories.
>>
>>5486581

Does anyone know what kind of box those Detolfs are standing on?
>>
>>5487301
>>5486589
>>5486760
using ziplock bags and any kind of plastic organizer that's not archival safe will wreck your parts over time. the acid eats into the plastic after a couple of years. us archival safe bags.

http://www.gtzip.com/
>>
>>5488015
How can you tell if it's safe?
>>
>>5488056
just look for words like acid free or archival safe
>>
>>5488015
I wonder if you could spray the inside of the box with top coat as a buffer layer?
>>
File: 713xCqR9vpL._SL1500_[1].jpg (175 KB, 1201x1500) Image search: [Google]
713xCqR9vpL._SL1500_[1].jpg
175 KB, 1201x1500
I bought a tacklebox. bottom two trays are deeper for bigger things. top tray is for hands, feet and faces.
>>
>>5486581
i use a tackle box, works well
>>
>>5488185
I'm assuming the bags that come with figmas are acid free?
>>
>>5494636

No.
>>
File: sdcc exclusive art.jpg (95 KB, 764x514) Image search: [Google]
sdcc exclusive art.jpg
95 KB, 764x514
>>5494636
>implying any company is going to make packaging that is meant to be temprorary and thrown away like the trash it is out of expensive archival safe materials
Silly anon, you're dumb.

Kinda sad that when packaging is meant to be kept and displayed because it's well thought out beautiful art is made out of the same shitty shit.
>>
File: 59693960.jpg (138 KB, 450x365) Image search: [Google]
59693960.jpg
138 KB, 450x365
>>5488015
Have you ever opened a vintage figure? Generally the toy is mint while the plastic packaging has yellowed. Sure, there are certain exceptions, but those figures are probably damaged from extreme heat or humidity, or are simply inferior plastics. I would pit a modern toy over a plastic bag any day.
>>
>>5494784
>>5495898
Why are those plastic zipper bags, seemingly intended for putting our unused figma pieces into, included with every figma figure if they slowly destroy them....
>>
>>5496809
Same reason those polybags that Death of Superman came in slowly browned the pages: they don't think this shit through long term.
>>
File: monopoly original.jpg (15 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
monopoly original.jpg
15 KB, 300x200
>>5496809
>>5496848
because it's supposed to be disposable.
They're not selling you a toy that you're supposed to keep trapped in cheaply produced paper and plastic. They EXPECT you to play with it, keep it on a shelf to be posed, and used as a prostate stimulator. That packaging? It's only there to catch your attention and make you buy it. It's not meant for long term storage, muchless be used for storage.
The only reason you think it is is because someone is dumb and told you it could be.

When that cheapo paper and plastic is used on stuff that is meant for storage and isn't seen as a durable good, yet expected to last a long time? Shit sucks.
>>
>>5496848
A plastic toy isn't made of newspaper though.
>>
>>5497052
The paint is about as easy to fuck up with chemicals though,
>>
>>5496934
Figmas come with what seems high quality zip bags (with figma brand name and a label area), they're meant for you to store the figure's extra hands, legs, accessories, etc. They're not talking about the fucking blister.
>>
File: marvel-universe-galactus SDCC.jpg (49 KB, 360x480) Image search: [Google]
marvel-universe-galactus SDCC.jpg
49 KB, 360x480
>>5499181
i just bought some hardware and stands the other week with various pieces and books in with labeled ziplock bags too, but it sure as hell doesn't mean that stuff is meant to be stored there.
That shit is just for ease of taking them out when needed.

And for the complete opposite, how the fuck are you supposed to take this collector's item out of special packaging without fucking it up?

The world is filled with contrary events, ideas, and, logic. You just have to deal with them as they happen. So if you want your toys to last longer, you need to take them out of their cheaply made meant to be disposed of packaging.

Also, even if they are high quality bags, they're not archival safe. They're like comic bags at best and those only have about 8 years before they start releasing shit everywhere.
>>5497414
Actually, it's worse. Plastic contaminants will fuck over other plastics faster than they will paper.
>>
>>5486581
Question, do you allow women to see these displays?
>>
>>5499192
Clean, organized, well displayed, and I can only assume expensive. Better than most of the displays posted by this board. Women should be soaking their panties at the prospect of a man who cares this much about presenting their environment.
>>
>>5486589
>throw out boxes
What the shit
Why
Throw out Clamshells, keep boxes
>>
File: Wall-Pocket-Organizer.jpg (16 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
Wall-Pocket-Organizer.jpg
16 KB, 360x360
I store my 1/18 figures in ziplock bags. If I take out a figure for display or just for fiddling around, ill deposit the ziplock with leftover accessories in one of these wall pockets. The good thing about these hanging organizers is that they fit in my wardrobe and since toys>clothes, I use my wardrobe to store my toys.

There are some versions that come with zippers (usually advertised as jewelry/accessory organizers) but I could never find one with the right size for my 1/18s. I would skip the ziplocks and simply store the figure in the organizer if I could.
>>
I would LOVE to see some evidence that plastic bags "fuck up" plastic toys and parts.
>>
File: plasticizers migrating.jpg (4 KB, 273x185) Image search: [Google]
plasticizers migrating.jpg
4 KB, 273x185
>>5499299
If it containers plasticizers, and most of them do to be pliable, it can potentially fuck up your toy.
Once it leaches away from the bag, it will lay on the toy, either in liquid or solids, which can begin the process of "eating" into the plastic on the toy or just become stuck on the surface.

Since bags are so thin, they're really not going to last a long time before they start the decomposition process.

In general, you want thick hard plastics to store your toys in. Or glass, if you're really that anal.
Air them out too, since most toys have plasticizers too and you don't want to trap any that have been released into the air to settle onto the surface of your toy.
Also, silica packets are your friend.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.