[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here got any experience of whitening yellowed plastic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: SNES-AB.jpg (23 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
SNES-AB.jpg
23 KB, 500x332
Has anyone here got any experience of whitening yellowed plastic on old toys? I've just bought some old Power Rangers stuff, but the plastic is pretty yellow in some places. I've heard of people using Bleach, Hydrogen Peroxide etc, but I'm worried of doing some kind of permanent damage. Is Retr0Bright any good?
>>
Hydrogen peroxide
>>
>>5407806

Thanks senpai, but I was hoping for some details. Gel/Liquid, Soaking/rubbing, etc etc
>>
>>5407796
>>5407806
Basically the same thing. Be warned this fix doesn't work forever though. You'll have to redo it after a while and every time, it'll take a shorter period to yellow. It'll also make your plastic more fragile.
>>
>>5407819

I've heard you can prevent the plastic from going yellow again by painting it with clear varnish. Anyone here tried that?
>>
>>5407841
>I've heard you can prevent the plastic from going yellow again by painting it with clear varnish
That doesn't seem to make sense.
>>
>>5407845

Well, one of the reasons plastic yellows is oxidation, so putting a clear coat on the plastic should help prevent yellowing, in theory.
>>
>>5407819
It's doesn't last as long because you're tearing off the original protective layer of plastic on the outside. Just live with the yellow or else you're dooming the toy eventually.

>>5407841
Not a fucking chance.
>>
>>5407796
A mix of bleach and windex.
>>
retr0bright supposedly works pretty well, head over to /vr/ and ask the Nintendo Repair General, they'll be able to help you more
>>
>>5408028
OP asked for preservation, not two steps away from producing meth
>>
You can buy liquid hydrogen peroxide but I've come to prefer the cream type. Basically most hair bleaching creams at 40 vol should work. With cream you can apply it around stickers and colored parts more easily.

Never apply it on metal. The stuff causes rust like crazy.

Get some anti UV hobby spray and coat the parts when you're done. It'll retard the yellowing a bit longer.
>>
>>5408199

Any particular brands you've used?
>>
>>5408028
That's poison gas. Windex has ammonia. Ammonia and bleach produce a toxic gas. I know because I did it with out knowing and nearly died.
>>
File: SBS-760635.jpg (8 KB, 345x345) Image search: [Google]
SBS-760635.jpg
8 KB, 345x345
I did it mid-last year.

Here is the easiest, cheapest way.

Buy this stuff from a Sally's Beauty store, Salon Care 40 Hydrogen Peroxide Cream. No higher than 40, or it'll scar the plastic.

Take the snes apart, take the shell parts you want to lighten and coat them in a thick layer of the stuff. Put some plastic saran wrap over it (to slow the evaporation) and put it out in the sun. Check back every 5 minutes or so, because it does dry out quick (if it's hot outside it does it even faster), and if it dries out it will ruin the shell. If it starts to look like it is drying out, take it in and apply more.

It took mine about 30 minutes to lighten.

When you're done, rinse it off thoroughly and dry it off.

Here is a video with some info:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU7vXMezW_I
>>
>>5411501
Also, be careful. Wear rubber gloves, don't get it in your eyes, it's harsh stuff. Bleaches skin.
>>
>>5408028
DON'T.
>>
>>5408028
Thats fucked up anon
>>
>>5411501
Was just about to recommend that exact thing. http://www.amazon.com/Salon-Care-Volume-Creme-Developer/dp/B004OKDW20

Super cheap and easy, tried and effective.
>>
>>5408517
Boy, the things you learn browsing a Senegalese bongo board!
>>
>>5407796
>Has anyone here got any experience of whitening yellowed plastic on old toys?
Either Acetone or Xylene will do it just fine anon.
>>
>>5413450
>acetone

Shut the fuck up, Jin.
>>
>trusting anyone on /toy/ to give you any methods that won't either kill your figure or kill you

I wouldn't trust anyone here, ever. They're all shitstain trolls.
>>
>>5413521
Your know fun, anon.
>>
On the flip side, anyone know how to speed or induce this? I have an idea that requires it.
>>
>>5416789

Smoke cigarettes around your toys, often.
>>
>>5408517
What if you peed into a thing of bleach?
Urine has ammonia in it, right?
>>
>>5416789
attach it to your dashboard
it worked wonders for my stormtrooper
>>
>>5422631
Yeah, but that's when it breaks down.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.