[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What got you guys interested in toy collecting? More specifically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (442 KB, 3000x1756) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
442 KB, 3000x1756
What got you guys interested in toy collecting?
More specifically Marvel Legends
>>
File: GhostRider203.jpg (110 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
GhostRider203.jpg
110 KB, 1024x768
Toy collecting was Beast Wars. I wanted the characters I liked in the show.

As for Legends, I'm a big Ghost Rider fan so I randomly got ML3 GR on a whim and was impressed enough to keep on buying.
>>
File: DSCN0388__scaled_600.jpg (439 KB, 600x906) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0388__scaled_600.jpg
439 KB, 600x906
>>5394124
Both Legends and toy collecting in general can be traced back to Spider-Man Classics.

This was one of the first figures I've ever bought. I continued to buy Spider-Man figures and got into ToyBiz Legends near the end around wave 13 since Green Goblin was in that wave. Been collecting them ever since.
>>
>>5394124
Spider-man Classics, specifically Man-Spider. Still have that big beautiful fucker in my display. Shit sent me on a toy collecting spree that's lasted for like 15 fucking years, mostly all in the same line.
>>
>>5394124
ACBA
>>
File: SpiderMan04.jpg (160 KB, 511x768) Image search: [Google]
SpiderMan04.jpg
160 KB, 511x768
Beast wars is really what compelled me, but even before then I had lots of batman figures and Power rangers. I guess the difference is that with Batman and PR, I only wanted the characters I liked, where as with Beast wars I wanted all the toys to experience them and how they transformed.

I stayed with Transformers for years. To be honest, I think I just kinda hung on hoping they'd go back to being beasts again after BM ended. Power Rangers alternated the beast/vehicle theme regularly, so I figured it'd do the same.so I just kinda hung on to transformers. I had seen MLs and thought they were cool, but with a tight budget as a kid I couldn't justify spreading out. The closest thing was the super articulated SM2 6'' figure.

When I was in middle school, I started getting into older comics, mainly for the creators. I got really interested in steve ditko. On a whim, I bought First Appearance Spider-man. I was so amazed by the presentation of it, I planned on getting more. I began to regret all the money I wasted on Transformers armada and Energon, and passing up figures I saw like Deadpool(mostly for doop, since I liked X-statix ). Later I went to my first NYCC on a school trip as a volunteer, and on my free hours I went nuts buying Marvel Legends(being 15, I couldn't buy stuff online) For a long time it was my favorite Toy Line. Unfortunately, I came in too late, and Toy Biz's days were numbered.i'm casually getting into them again now, but it's hard to balance it with so many other things competing for my money.
>>
>>5394124
I collected a few legends in highschool but then fell out of comic books. I didn't start seriously collecting until i got my first job and after i went to my first anime convention when i bought a bunch of cheap revoltechs. I got back into MLs with the reboot when they were still carded. i have mostly hasbro mls but still have a few toybiz ones.
>>
Z-bots
>>
>>5394145
I just got this figure new in box last night! It's pretty neat. Love the articulated base, too. I really need to grab a lizard figure.

I got into collecting when I got the Black suit spiderman with hanglider 6 inch figure. I just kept buying more from then on.
>>
>>5394269
I lost my Battle Ravaged Spidey to time and sometimes consider buying him again.

And good luck buying the Lizard for cheap, it won't be easy. Not many good ones.
>>
Spiderman Classics
Marvel Legends
DC Direct
When action figures were 6" now it's a shitty 3.75".
There are action figures that are 6" now but they call them deluxe or go for a premium.
>>
>>5394124

Seeing the first wave of ML on the pegs. It was definitely weird seeing them in clamshell packaging. Even weirder when Toad became sought after when it didn't seem anyone was touching the figures for a couple of weeks.

Figures before ML, playing with the old Star Wars figures as a kid.
>>
Articulation, character design, my interest (too vast to list).

Marvel Legends wise? Pretty much every character that I actually know about/any or everyone featured in a Versus series game by Capcom to fit in with Sota figures back when I had more than two (2005-2010)
>>
I don't know
>>
Tonka GoBots. Hooked on convertible robots ever since.

ToyBiz Marvel Legends was what got me into regular action figures though. Only ever had a handful of them before that. And now that Hasbro has thoroughly ruined distribution of them (man, remember when you could buy singles at a store instead of having to order an entire fucking case online?), I'm on my way out of that market.
>>
>>5394729
ineteresting
>>
I like marvel characters, and i have no life...
>>
My fiancé left me so I had a lot of extra money to blow
>>
Manga Spawn and Movie Maniacs turned toys into a patrician hobby.
>>
>>5394124
I was super hyped over Godzilla 2014 so I started looking up merch and found the 24 inch long NECA and then I just wanted more. As for marvel legends, my friend started buying bucky cap figures to make customs and sold me an extra deadpool he had so I could make a custom of my own. then I just started buying toys for the fun of it
>>
>>5394124
I was collecting Toy Biz in the 90's, when I first saw Legends I balked & said I wasn't going to do it but I bought Iron Man and...well here I am.
>>
I saw plamoo's animations, specifically this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t86D3WTKouk

Then while walking through a figure shop one day looking around to see if there was anything interesting, I recognized the brand name and bought a Maryceles.

I haven't stopped buying toys since.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.